THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Help  (Read 2712 times)

OneoftheLost

• Not quite a lurker
  • Wandering Gentleman
Guitar Help
« on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:10 »

So.

I need help with well. Guitars. You'd think that such things would be easily googlable on the internet (Is that a word?) My google-foo probably just isn't tuned for this sort of thing.

So, without giving my lifestory, lets say I found a guitar behind a door, in my storage room. Upon inspection, it appears to be a six-string something. Unfortunately I don't know what that means.

Here's a pic.

So whats my issue? Well, for one, you have no idea how long it took to find that pic. Apparently the guitar is a Vinci Electric, in Sunburst. Ive never even heard of Vinci. This is probably the least of my problems. The primary being how to play. While ive heard of endless people picking up a guitar, and learning on their own, I get the feeling that you are all savants. I tried strumming, and have determined that electric guitars sound awful without help. I assume its supposed to have an amp or something? My musical instrument knowledge is non-existent. Ive heard of tuning a guitar, and doing something with the strings, but I have no idea how or why. I also watched a few videos, and noticed that finger placement seems pretty important for the different notes, but I'm not sure how. Google pulls up more then a few sites that demand membership or money for basic knowledge or lessons. So, I figured I'd throw up a post around here, looking for some (free?)direction on where to start learning how to play. Some sort of beginner site would be fantastic. Should I be looking for an acoustic? Or... headphones for this electric? (Can you do that? I'd hate to keep everyone up just learning.)

Thanks for reading!
Carpe Diem

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: Guitar Help
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2010, 00:28 »

go down to yr local music shoppe

buy a book
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2010, 00:29 »

(otherwise  :psyduck:)
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:07 »

Youtube

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2010, 05:44 »

Vinci....hmm. Probably some sort of import brand. Looks late 80s early 90sish?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:59 »

Wait Jens, are you saying Darnielle uses some weird-ass version of Open E tuning?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:05 »

I think he just means he tunes relatively to one string of the guitar, with little regard to whether that was in tune or not. So it's tuned to the same intervals as EADGBE but not necessarily those notes exactly.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:31 »

You mainly just have to have patience. I mainly just learned to play guitar from looking up easy to read tabs of songs that I liked. Sometimes you can't make it through the whole song, sometimes a chord of sequence of notes is all you needed to really get going.

I'd suggest looking up websites, and yeah buy a book. Guitar Techniques magazine is always useful, albeit pricey for a magazine. They do sometimes have instructional dvds though. I have another A5 sized book on scales, which are as essential as chords.

If you plan on sticking to electric, buy an amp, but look around your local pawn shops or whatever for a used one, unless you have a lot of money and are determined to see it through it might not be best to buy something completely new.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:26 »

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2240918_do-guitar-bridges-guitar-intonation.html

If you don't read this I will personally find you and backhand you across the face and won't even turn in my rings. And if you don't know what a term means, Google it. It ain't difficult. Intonation is the reason that an overwhelming majority of n00bz keep buying new guitars and bitch about it "never staying in tune". This will help you to not be That Guy, and it will help you remove one thing off of your checklist for 'quality instrument'. Ignorance is bliss except when it costs you money, and that holds true for guitars especially.

Also we have a very good, long-running thread on the subject of guitars, it's the Guitar Topic! Pretty easy to find, usually never leaves the first page of this subforum. I don't think anybody's tripping over the fact you started yr own thread. Just for future reference. We're pretty knowledgeable in there.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

OneoftheLost

• Not quite a lurker
  • Wandering Gentleman
« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:03 »

@Patrick Actually, the reason I made my own topic, is because I thought the guitar topic was about well... guitars. Like, purchases, and all that stuff. Throwing up a 'learning' how to play in the middle of a 130 page thread seemed like a bad idea. Now I know better. I could get a mod to consolidate these two threads?

On topic, thanks everyone! Patrick, the Intonation article made a little sense, but I get the feeling that its something for farther down the line. I seem to remember an amp (based on your pictures) or something down in storage, so I'll look there before I get started. Thanks a load for the websites, I didn't really find any beginner stuff that didn't require me to sign up for the vidoes etc. etc. Your google foo is much stronger then mine.

My 'local' music shoppe is an hour away at high speeds, but it sounds like a trip I'll need to make at some point. Also, guitar tabs are beyond me, because I don't know what string is what, hopefully the provided websites will fix that. I guess the rest is up to me in that department. Thanks again for the replies and help, now I have quite a bit to look over. :)
Carpe Diem
Pages: [1]   Go Up