THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 10:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bioware's New Game: It's Mass Effect 3.  (Read 83567 times)

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Re: Bioware's New Game: It's Mass Effect 3.
« Reply #200 on: 10 Apr 2011, 16:49 »

Yeah, she was fairly specific. I was such a damn hell as king that I was able to choose the "none of this is even relevant, fuck you all, Tali rulz" and get away with it.

Am I the only person who hated Miranda? Useless character, boring loyalty, fought with Jack (also boring but far more useful in combat). I made sure she died.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #201 on: 10 Apr 2011, 17:22 »

I'm not a Miranda fan but she's anything but useless.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #202 on: 11 Apr 2011, 16:11 »

Yeah, she's pretty much one of the best squadmates.

She can counter all defenses with Warp and Overload, and she can hella buff yr party with her Cerberus Officer skill.  Squad weapon damage +15%?  Yes please!

Jack is good if yr playing a on a lower difficulty, or if you really want Squad Warp Ammo.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #203 on: 11 Apr 2011, 16:44 »

Ironically, the feuding ladies do extremely well when paired together. On lower difficulties the mook squads don't have much in the way of defenses so they can team up for entertaining biotic combos with Pull+Warp/Slam, while on higher difficulties Miranda's ability to peel defenses lets Jack use Pull more freely.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #204 on: 11 Apr 2011, 17:13 »

Jack is good if yr playing a on a lower difficulty, or if you really want Squad Warp Ammo.

If you really want squad warp ammo, just do her loyalty mission.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #205 on: 11 Apr 2011, 17:27 »

Yeah, but then you're passing up on stuff like Geth Shields or Reave. Bringing Jack along for Warp Ammo isn't so bad when you consider her decent CC ability.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #206 on: 11 Apr 2011, 22:43 »

i hated miranda and thought her character was stupid but then i got to her loyalty mission and warmed up to her and then at the end of the game she got like the best fist-pump moment so like there's that
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #207 on: 11 Apr 2011, 22:54 »

I didn't warm up to Miranda, but Grunt was much, much better than he had any right to be. Same with Samara, though all in all she seems as slight a character as Jacob. Ditto Zaeed, who's just fun.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #208 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:00 »

conversely, i never gave two shits about samara, and cared even less about morinth. zaeed is the fucking man though

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #209 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:31 »

I also warmed up to Miranda considerably by the end of the game, and the ending solidified it. I thought Samara was done pretty well too.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #210 on: 12 Apr 2011, 15:20 »

I think (overall) I liked Thane and Garrus the best, with Legion a close second, so its good to hear that at least one of them is coming back.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #211 on: 12 Apr 2011, 15:29 »

Miranda was probably the best human companion of the series, which isn't saying much.
I liked both the DLC characters a lot more, despite neither of them being all that fleshed out, mostly because I thought Miranda was a little too fleshed out (I get it Bioware, she has a giant rack and a peach-like ass) and her inferiority complex (AM I PERFECT OR REALLY REALLY PERFECT?!) was never anything less than irritating. Plus hers was probably the last companion mission I went on so I was all "Great, more family trouble"
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #212 on: 12 Apr 2011, 17:12 »

Legion>Tali>Thane>Jack

Didn't really wanna "sync environmental suits" with Tali though, I think a interview with gaider turned me off to that before the game even came out.
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #213 on: 12 Apr 2011, 17:15 »

He really does that to you. Best to avoid him if you're interested at all in the romances.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #214 on: 12 Apr 2011, 19:30 »

One thing I recently noticed: my non-imported campaign Shepard didn't know much about the Genophage that Moradin talks about for his loyalty mission and just kinda went along with it.  Finally went through with one of my imported saves (saved Wrex), and Shepard was PISSED that Moradin was involved.  Like, right off the bat.  I'm still kinda surprised at the differences I'm finding.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #215 on: 12 Apr 2011, 19:48 »

I never noticed anything about Miranda's figure to be honest, she just seemed to look like the generic ME female to me.
Her art assets are significantly larger.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2011, 20:04 by Buttfranklin »
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #216 on: 12 Apr 2011, 19:50 »

Saw that joke coming a mile away.

Mein Tumblr

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #217 on: 12 Apr 2011, 20:03 »

:-D

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #218 on: 12 Apr 2011, 20:05 »

I think they did as well as they good with a supposedly brilliant individual. I know a few incredibly attractive and talented people who seem constantly haunted by the prospect of being anything less than perfect in every way. It's not like if you're super smart and ultra cute you have no problems, sometimes it ramps them up even more and I think they managed to just about capture that dichotomy.

revisiting this (and because i've been on a kick of his stuff for like a YEAR at this point), from david foster wallace's 2005 commencement speech at kenyon college:

In the day-to-day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And an outstanding reason for choosing some sort of God or spiritual-type thing to worship -- be it J.C. or Allah, be it Yahweh or the Wiccan mother-goddess or the Four Noble Truths or some infrangible set of ethical principles -- is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive.

If you worship money and things -- if they are where you tap real meaning in life -- then you will never have enough. Never feel you have enough. It's the truth. Worship your own body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly, and when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally plant you.

On one level, we all know this stuff already -- it's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, bromides, epigrams, parables: the skeleton of every great story. The trick is keeping the truth up-front in daily consciousness. Worship power -- you will feel weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to keep the fear at bay. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart -- you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. And so on.

Look, the insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they're evil or sinful; it is that they are unconscious. They are default-settings. They're the kind of worship you just gradually slip into, day after day, getting more and more selective about what you see and how you measure value without ever being fully aware that that's what you're doing. And the world will not discourage you from operating on your default-settings, because the world of men and money and power hums along quite nicely on the fuel of fear and contempt and frustration and craving and the worship of self.

Our own present culture has harnessed these forces in ways that have yielded extraordinary wealth and comfort and personal freedom. The freedom to be lords of our own tiny skull-sized kingdoms, alone at the center of all creation. This kind of freedom has much to recommend it. But of course there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talked about in the great outside world of winning and achieving and displaying. The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.

for some reason, in some weird way, i thought of this quote when reading tommy's comments. the slight variation in miranda's character is, of course, that she doesn't so much worship these things as much as she was created to embody their worship. i don't think that's "am i perfect or am i super perfect" at all.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #219 on: 12 Apr 2011, 20:19 »

Miranda has to live with that constant nagging thought in the back of her head that everything she enjoys about herself is there by design.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #220 on: 12 Apr 2011, 20:33 »

I think they did as well as they good with a supposedly brilliant individual. I know a few incredibly attractive and talented people who seem constantly haunted by the prospect of being anything less than perfect in every way. It's not like if you're super smart and ultra cute you have no problems, sometimes it ramps them up even more and I think they managed to just about capture that dichotomy.
I get that, I just don't think it's worth writing, hearing about, or playing therapist with in the hopes of having digital sex. Listening to people wrestle with privilege is very rarely interesting. I'm pretty much over companions with deeply ingrained self-esteem issues. I don't think it's a coincidence that my line between "interesting" and "intolerable" amongst ME2 companions neatly divides characters who are confident in themselves (Mordin, Tali, Grunt, Thane, Samara) and characters who nurse some deep insecurity (Miranda, Jacob, Jack). Unsurprisingly, those characters make up the majority of romance options. Garrus gets a pass because his vendetta/PTSD isn't inherently stupid.

This pattern is likewise reflected in Dragon Age 2, with Aveline and Varric being the best characters and Merrill / Anders being the worst.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2011, 20:36 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #221 on: 12 Apr 2011, 20:55 »

sorry that you're sick of one corner of human experience, john

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #222 on: 12 Apr 2011, 21:06 »

I'm sorry Aerie has become a gold standard character concept.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #223 on: 12 Apr 2011, 21:07 »

what does that even have to do with anything, games didn't invent the idea of archetypes

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #224 on: 12 Apr 2011, 21:15 »

I never said they did? I said the ones they're using are boring to me. But the "healing touch of friendship" approach compresses the course of a relationship from "just met" to "ready to die for you" to <25 hours better than anything else, I suppose. They wouldn't keep using it otherwise.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #225 on: 12 Apr 2011, 21:40 »

I get that, I just don't think it's worth writing, hearing about, or playing therapist with in the hopes of having digital sex. Listening to people wrestle with privilege is very rarely interesting. I'm pretty much over companions with deeply ingrained self-esteem issues. I don't think it's a coincidence that my line between "interesting" and "intolerable" amongst ME2 companions neatly divides characters who are confident in themselves (Mordin, Tali, Grunt, Thane, Samara) and characters who nurse some deep insecurity (Miranda, Jacob, Jack). Unsurprisingly, those characters make up the majority of romance options. Garrus gets a pass because his vendetta/PTSD isn't inherently stupid.

This pattern is likewise reflected in Dragon Age 2, with Aveline and Varric being the best characters and Merrill / Anders being the worst.
I dunno if Jack is insecure. It seems more like she's a cold and impersonal person who struggles to get close to people. Which is rather like Lisbeth now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2011, 21:43 by JD »

Mein Tumblr

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #226 on: 12 Apr 2011, 22:52 »

Never thought there'd be a game with a 'stock gmilf' but yeah

Samara
How bout those implants honey

Friggin' Obligatory Space Babes.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #227 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:59 »

I dunno if Jack is insecure. It seems more like she's a cold and impersonal person who struggles to get close to people. Which is rather like Lisbeth now that I think about it.

That's an apt comparison.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #228 on: 13 Apr 2011, 11:02 »

Yeah, I suspect that I have a decent overall impression of Miranda in large part because I didn't pursue that thread the first time around. Once you do take on the romance thread (Can we vote on a term other than romance? Please?) she actually seems sulkier about how the mission is "no time to for emotional entanglement" and "idiotic hormones" than she did about her perceived inadequacies. It adds another round of "Miranda has vulnerabilities" when I liked her better without quite so much baggage. Plus, at one point she asks you to promise her you won't die, which will always and forever make me think of Team America.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #229 on: 13 Apr 2011, 18:02 »

It seemed like every single way I played this game Garrus was really distant and basically refused to talk to me. I've played through twice, once with a continued campaign (male) and once with a new character (female) and Garrus was a dick the whole time. wtf?
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #230 on: 13 Apr 2011, 18:36 »

He has a lot of calibrating to do.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #231 on: 13 Apr 2011, 20:50 »

Well he did lose parts of his face, and he came to terms with you being dead.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #232 on: 13 Apr 2011, 22:47 »

Garrus is basically a stone wall unless A, he's doing his side quest or B he's in it with Shepard's vay-jay (sort of)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #233 on: 13 Apr 2011, 23:10 »

I still like him a helluva lot better than I did in the first game though. He's more interesting when I'm not holding his hand through every impromptu ethics lesson.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #234 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:07 »

I think giving Garrus a chip on his shoulder did his character worlds of good. He's much more enjoyable now that he's a little more sarcastic. He has some of the funnier cracks in the game in my opinion.

And I haven't done it myself because I actually haven't finished a playthrough as female Shepard yet, but I heard from people who did that Garrus's romance is arguably the best one Bioware's ever done precisely because it acknowledges how weird the situation is.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #235 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:30 »

It even has a Paragon interrupt.

SOLD

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #236 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:39 »

And I haven't done it myself because I actually haven't finished a playthrough as female Shepard yet, but I heard from people who did that Garrus's romance is arguably the best one Bioware's ever done precisely because it acknowledges how weird the situation is.

Definately arguable, but it's good partically for that reason, partically because it didn't feel the need to pander the whole "sex with space babes" (and anti-space-but-still-babes babes) compared to the other romances of the series. It was pretty tactfully handled rather than a romance for the sake of a romance (and implied banging.)

Actually the Tali romance was kind of like this too, but not as well done.

On a vaguely related note, the Miranda romance is probably the stupidest one in the whole series. "I feel only cold shallow resentment for you despite my respect for your abilities. Oh, you rescued my not-twin twin sister? Lets bang. Now I love you."

The fuck?

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #237 on: 14 Apr 2011, 10:28 »

Space women are Complicated, it seems.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #238 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:38 »

I think giving Garrus a chip on his shoulder did his character worlds of good. He's much more enjoyable now that he's a little more sarcastic. He has some of the funnier cracks in the game in my opinion.

Also, this will sound kind of weird, but I kinda liked how going all Paragon on his ass in the first game wasn't apparently enough to make him do everything by-the-book once left to make judgement calls on his own. Now, I suppose if you were feeling uncharitable I guess you could just chalk that up to Bioware not having a cost effective way to incorporate both attitudes, but in a game in which a fair amount of stuff carries over from the first I kinda liked the idea that Garrus wasn't someone you could just mold into an ersatz Shep.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #239 on: 14 Apr 2011, 19:45 »

I love any romance option that has you talking with Mordin about protection.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #240 on: 20 Apr 2011, 23:54 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #241 on: 21 Apr 2011, 00:11 »

Well, looks like the Citadel's going to get fucked up again. And I am getting a serious Shep vibe from that lead bot thing in the second pic.
Quis pater tibi est?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #243 on: 21 Apr 2011, 00:24 »

Well, looks like the Citadel's going to get fucked up again. And I am getting a serious Shep vibe from that lead bot thing in the second pic.
The article they're from indicates that the pics are from a mission on the Salarian homeworld (my money on ME2 companions being temporary / location-based in ME3 is looking smarter), so it looks like the Reapers are probably just hitting all the racial homeworlds in the galaxy. The Citadel's probably on the list, though I could see it being the resistance base and all. With the Conduit shut there's only one way in and it's through the front door.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #244 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:19 »

Ashely looks silly.

seriously

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #245 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:23 »

Liara and Kaidan look really good, though.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #246 on: 21 Apr 2011, 06:34 »

You all have bad taste.

;-;

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #247 on: 21 Apr 2011, 07:16 »

I have taste?

Huh.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #248 on: 21 Apr 2011, 09:04 »

Nah man, sorry. She looks kinda drag queen.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #249 on: 21 Apr 2011, 09:51 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up