THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 21:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Nobel of you!  (Read 4160 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
How Nobel of you!
« on: 07 Oct 2010, 07:26 »

Well, the Nobel prize for Physics came out a couple days ago, for the development of graphene, an atom-thick layer of carbon that's incredibly strong, stable, transparent, and an excellent electrical conductor.  Perfect for things like touchscreens.  The physicists got the idea one day when they peeled a piece of scotch tape off a block of graphite.  That's not how it's made, but it let to the final result. 

And you heard it here first
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
Re: How Nobel of you!
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2010, 07:38 »

I guess I'll say this here, but the Nobel prize for Chemistry went to a guy who went to my school (UD), researched here, was a professor here, and made his discovery here!  He also started the CSST lab here, and is generally awesome.

I'm a Chem Engineer, so I got quite the earful about him yesterday.

He discovered a Palladium catalyzed reaction which can form a carbon-carbon bond between sp2 hybridized carbon molecules.  This was expanded pretty far after his initial discovery, and it's actually a really important catalysis reaction for pharmaceuticals today.
I dunno, I guess I'm in the right field of study b/c I got really happy/a bit teary eyed in my orgo class hearing about his work, his struggles (he lost a lot of funding in 1989 and retired early when his backers thought that this Pd catalyst was just applicable to a niche field), and his final triumph and recognition with this Nobel prize.

edit: oh, his name is Dr. Heck, and next semester I have to learn and memorize the Pd-catalyst reaction he developed, the Heck Reaction
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010, 07:42 by smack that isaiah »
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2010, 08:03 »

He also levitated a frog.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2010, 09:18 »

Well, the Nobel prize for Physics came out a couple days ago, for the development of graphene, an atom-thick layer of carbon that's incredibly strong, stable, transparent, and an excellent electrical conductor.  Perfect for things like touchscreens.  The physicists got the idea one day when they peeled a piece of scotch tape off a block of graphite.  That's not how it's made, but it let to the final result.  

And you heard it here first!  

Yes, this comic is how i keep up with modern scientific advancements.  Anthro-PCs, flying roombas, boyfriend-bots, i'd have to go comb through the archives to find them all!
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010, 14:07 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2010, 13:50 »

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2010, 02:47 »

Well, the Nobel prize for Physics came out a couple days ago, for the development of graphene, an atom-thick layer of carbon that's incredibly strong, stable, transparent, and an excellent electrical conductor.  Perfect for things like touchscreens.  The physicists got the idea one day when they peeled a piece of scotch tape off a block of graphite.  That's not how it's made, but it let to the final result. 

And you heard it here first

In fact, when I heard about the prize, the first thought that went through my head was "gawd, I've seen Raven talk about that!"

Am I a nrrd now?
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:02 »

I have a cunning spam!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:48 »

Congratulations? 

:?

Streetwise

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2010, 00:10 »

WOW...

just read the phone interview from Konstatin Novoselov, one of the winners, and yeah, they got the idea/ the whole thing started with scotch tape and graphite...

I'd love to know if this gent is a reader, 'cause ... crazy, i don't know what date comic # 1111 was... but if it was around the time these gents were experimenting, i would encourage Jeph to reach out.  :-D

Unless of course Jeph got the idea from a scientific journal / release thinger, 'cause that could make sense as well. Either way, Good on yah for bringing awesome science into the comic.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 00:13 by Streetwise »
Damn, it's cold!
You misspelled intelligent. OH THE IRONY. OH THE PSYDUCK!

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2010, 00:18 »

Do you think they could thicken it and make a super-strong replacement for standard glass? Windows and such?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2010, 00:23 »

WOW...

just read the phone interview from Konstatin Novoselov, one of the winners, and yeah, they got the idea/ the whole thing started with scotch tape and graphite...

I'd love to know if this gent is a reader, 'cause ... crazy, i don't know what date comic # 1111 was... but if it was around the time these gents were experimenting, i would encourage Jeph to reach out.  :-D

Unless of course Jeph got the idea from a scientific journal / release thinger, 'cause that could make sense as well. Either way, Good on yah for bringing awesome science into the comic.

Comic #1111 posted on or about April 1, 2008.

I know this for that is the day I began reading QC, finding it from the XKCD/QC/DinoComics April fools joke switcheroo.

And Graphene has been around alot longr than that.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2010, 00:52 »

Graphene was quoted in the comic, precedence is obvious. 

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2010, 18:21 »

Congratulations?   :?
Ah. I don't know how that happened... I think the spam thread entry I was replying to has been deleted. Sorry.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 18:24 by Akima »
Pages: [1]   Go Up