THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In appreciation for Jeph's work  (Read 17290 times)

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
In appreciation for Jeph's work
« on: 19 Nov 2010, 15:54 »

Please accept the gift of the following information:

Alcoholics Anonymous
Northampton, MA 01060 (413) 538-5844

Other treatment possibilities:

Grace House
(413) 586-8212
143 West Street
Northampton, MA

Community Healthcare Inc
(413) 584-2404
297 Pleasant Street
Northampton, MA

Remember, your drinking doesn't just hurt you.

eyosgkxb

• Don't NOT look into it's eyes!
Re: In appreciation for Jeph's work
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2010, 16:05 »

There are people there who can help. :police:
a herp derp derrr, a derp a hurk burf

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2010, 16:13 »

:psyduck:

I see this thread dying in short order. Perhaps the entire forum.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

zagraf

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2010, 17:15 »

Just thought it might be warranted, in light of Jeph's extreme behaviour in his own forum today. Also part of a pattern where he posts incoherent "AGULUGALUGH" type comments along with the comics, especially when he does so at four in the morning.

tobiasgies

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2010, 17:37 »

Just thought it might be warranted, in light of Jeph's extreme behaviour in his own forum today. Also part of a pattern where he posts incoherent "AGULUGALUGH" type comments along with the comics, especially when he does so at four in the morning.

Today's behaviour was rather extreme, but I'd consider it normal to have to let off some steam after an extremely stressful week (The form in which he did that is debatable, but oh well). I can only imagine the amount of e-mails and other types of messages he got, let alone the content. Reading the newsposts, I'd even say that it wasn't easy for him to actually draw this storyline either. But who am I to try and look into his head? Even if he was in fact drunk today, so what? Isn't a person allowed to be drunk sometimes?

Because - from the limited amount of stuff I know about him through his twitter feed and his news posts - Jeph doesn't seem to be a regular drinker, or to regularly drink himself into a stupor for that matter. Just minutes before posting those 4AM comics, Jeph was coherent enough to put the texts into the speech bubbles and to use whatever kind of security credentials he has to provide to get into the administrative part of this website. I'd assume he puts "AGHUAHAGUAGL" as the news post if he just doesn't have something else to say.

Also: First post. Hi forums!

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2010, 17:48 »

Extreme? He just posted a row of freaky images in a thread.

Extreme would've been spamming the shit out of every thread with those. With more gore. Then shutting down the board entirely.
Extreme was the amount of stupid in that comic talk.
Extreme is the rage I would have felt in his shoes.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2010, 17:49 by Superkid11 »

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2010, 18:11 »

To the Original Poster:

Extreme is going to be his response to this.

The man puts his heart and soul into this comic,  these characters are as much a part of his daily life as his wife and family.   

He more or less just ended a major story arc on a rather sad note... then comes in here and finds people behaving like absolute morons.   WORSE that that actually.

I would have closed down the forum and posted a gigantic middle finger for everyone.... but that's just me.

Anyway I'd get your sorry ass back in here and edit  your comments before he bans you from the fucking UNIVERSE.       

zagraf

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2010, 18:45 »

Why, whatever do you mean? I'm merely concerned for the man's health, is all.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2010, 18:55 »

Really! 

C'mon guys, someone misinterprets something, tries to be helpful, and people jump on him like he's at fault?  

Jeph didn't shut down the WCDT anyway.  And the thread he created to blow off steam in was pretty harmless.  He was lurking in the chaos, somehing we all suspect (or hope) he does, and I imagine he was stunned by the vitriol that was flowing so freely.  

But hey, whose idea was it to fix the notification bot on the week of hella drama?  It could've waited!   :roll:

And some of the n0obs had some decent insights.  Not many, but I don't think many were intentional trolls, either.  A few goblins (like trolls, only smaller and not as smart), but I think the real problem was the sheer volume.  

Now that the WCDT's been shattered into a few dozen smaller threads, dissipating all the heat, we'll see who decides to stay.  

Where's that "welcome wagon" basket of mine?  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2010, 19:12 »

He more or less just ended a major story arc on a rather sad note... then comes in here and finds people behaving like absolute morons.   WORSE that that actually.

I would have closed down the forum and posted a gigantic middle finger for everyone.... but that's just me.

I'm not about to dispute the presence of a high number of morons in the Weekly Comic Thread, but I've never quite understood why this is something that bothers Jeph (and, apparently, you) to the degree that it does.  It's not his job to make people interpret his comic correctly.  Shutting down a discussion thread due to its going in a direction you don't approve of strikes me as roughly similar to an author showing up at a book club meeting and saying, "You're interpreting my book ALL WRONG!  This meeting is over - everyone out!"

Dusk

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2010, 20:44 »

I'm not about to dispute the presence of a high number of morons in the Weekly Comic Thread, but I've never quite understood why this is something that bothers Jeph (and, apparently, you) to the degree that it does.  It's not his job to make people interpret his comic correctly.  Shutting down a discussion thread due to its going in a direction you don't approve of strikes me as roughly similar to an author showing up at a book club meeting and saying, "You're interpreting my book ALL WRONG!  This meeting is over - everyone out!"

No, but people are taking things way too far with this. Yes, it's a little soap opera webcomic of our own here, but seriously, people are taking it way too far with their psycho-analysing here.

"Because we know that asystole is the only steady rhythm."

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2010, 20:55 »

Like Namir Deiter!
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2010, 22:13 »

Well I missed the whole mess, what was the problem here? People reporting other people comments? Or just the whole discussion about the recent events on the comic?

nockiemommy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Need a hand?
    • Crochet Blog "One Happy Hooker"
« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2010, 00:00 »

It's guys like the OP here that keep those of us in the Dickbroom Brigade going strong. Way to show your ass, ass.
I love America. We've been hurt but we also hurt others. You know you never hurt anybody? The ESKIMOS! Do we even know what they look like without those silly coats? Nobody ever talks about invading..wherever the hell they're from. Does anybody even know?

eyosgkxb

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:29 »

Well I missed the whole mess, what was the problem here? People reporting other people comments? Or just the whole discussion about the recent events on the comic?

The whole mess was someone let the pigs out of the farm, they ate everything, pooped all over each other, then ate each other, and them pooped on themselves.

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:28 »

The thing is, unless Jeph is lying to us, Jeph didn't shut down the discussion thread.  The shutdown of the WCDT was apparently because someone (not Jeph) was reporting the posts of people s/he disagreed with or didn't like to the moderators, who got annoyed and decided to pre-emptively shut the whole thing down so they wouldn't be bothered by it.  Or that's how I read the final post by "est" in there.

zagraf

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:33 »

Well, hate to burst the bubble of those who predicted I'd be banned "from the universe," or that Jeph would shut the forum down, or (as made by one of the same hysterical posters in another thread) that he'd stop doing the comic, all because of my post. But hey, looks like none of that's happened.

:-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:
SO COOL STORY BROS
 :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:  :-D :evil: :roll:

(But hey, at least I made one person run crying off to his mommy.)
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2010, 10:38 by zagraf »

eyosgkxb

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:15 »

Well, hate to burst the bubble of those who predicted I'd be banned "from the universe," or that Jeph would shut the forum down, or (as made by one of the same hysterical posters in another thread) that he'd stop doing the comic, all because of my post. But hey, looks like none of that's happened.

SO COOL STORY BROS

Thats one confirmed kill alright.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:27 »

Point of pride?  Fucked up, dude.  He said things you didn't like, you said things he didn't like.  Lots of people said things lots of other people didn't like.  Doesn't mean you should take someone's frustration with the forum as a sign of personal victory. 

If you don't appreciate being called a troll, maybe you should stop acting like one.   

eyosgkxb

« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:37 »

Point of pride?  Fucked up, dude.  He said things you didn't like, you said things he didn't like.  Lots of people said things lots of other people didn't like.  Doesn't mean you should take someone's frustration with the forum as a sign of personal victory. 

If you don't appreciate being called a troll, maybe you should stop acting like one.   

If he had personally insulted the guy and added nothing more, he'd be a troll.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:47 »

Pretty sure that's what that post was all about, but maybe I'm missing something. 

:|

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster
« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2010, 13:45 »

The thing is, unless Jeph is lying to us, Jeph didn't shut down the discussion thread.  The shutdown of the WCDT was apparently because someone (not Jeph) was reporting the posts of people s/he disagreed with or didn't like to the moderators, who got annoyed and decided to pre-emptively shut the whole thing down so they wouldn't be bothered by it.  Or that's how I read the final post by "est" in there.

Don't worry, I'm well aware that Jeph wasn't the one that closed the WCT, so I'm not holding it against him (though I'm a bit disappointed that the mod took the easy way out rather than, you know, moderating the thread).  But it's a pretty well-known fact that Jeph hates the WCTs (though not to the point of closing them entirely), and I don't understand where that hate comes from.  I think I'd find it almost flattering that people were passionate enough about my creation to have those sorts of discussions.  Would he rather that his comics were so dull and one-dimensional that we couldn't have discussions like that?  I doubt it.

No, but people are taking things way too far with this. Yes, it's a little soap opera webcomic of our own here, but seriously, people are taking it way too far with their psycho-analysing here.

Why is that a problem for anyone but those doing the psycho-analyzing?  Sure, some of the folks that post in the WCTs should probably turn off the computer and go outside for a bit, but it's not the Dickbroom Brigade's (or Jeph's, for that matter) job to make them do that.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2010, 14:04 »

zagraf, I wasn't even going to drink today, but now I am going to drink. The entire bottle of whiskey in the freezer. Because of you. ARE YOU PROUD OF YOURSELF
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Strike Reyhi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2010, 20:22 »

Don't worry, I'm well aware that Jeph wasn't the one that closed the WCT, so I'm not holding it against him (though I'm a bit disappointed that the mod took the easy way out rather than, you know, moderating the thread).  But it's a pretty well-known fact that Jeph hates the WCTs (though not to the point of closing them entirely), and I don't understand where that hate comes from.  I think I'd find it almost flattering that people were passionate enough about my creation to have those sorts of discussions.  Would he rather that his comics were so dull and one-dimensional that we couldn't have discussions like that?  I doubt it.
you don't understand why he hates it. it's because people are being assholes to each other over who's right about what's going to happen. It's not that they're passionate it's that they're flaming the hell out of each other over fiction. it's the same with insufferable hardcore trek fans.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:32 »

Oh man you guys. Oh jeez.
Hate, rain on me

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:32 »

Just out of curiosity, how is this different from criticism over the music put out by various bands that Jeph's put out in the strip over the years?

His making fun of the drummer guy from Arcade Fire is no different than someone saying they think Dora's a bitch.

Of course, he'd probably just quote Pen in 1289: "Yes, but see, they're wrong."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:36 »

I can't say how Jeph thinks, because I am not Jeph, but I think Jeph doesn't care much if people don't like what he writes. It isn't a criticism issue.

I think he just doesn't like all of you people obsessively arguing over the internet about comic characters that don't exist. Not to mention your disturbing, weeaboo-level desires for every character to bang and be naked.
Hate, rain on me

Lord of Bays

• Not quite a lurker
  • Boob Terrorist
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:43 »

Just out of curiosity, how is this different from criticism over the music put out by various bands that Jeph's put out in the strip over the years?

His making fun of the drummer guy from Arcade Fire is no different than someone saying they think Dora's a bitch.

Of course, he'd probably just quote Pen in 1289: "Yes, but see, they're wrong."

I don't think he was making fun of him...
Proud Co-Founder of the Breast Jihad

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:46 »

Not to mention your disturbing, weeaboo-level desires for every character to bang and be naked.
Reminded me of this old quote.
Quote from: psion
Somehow, I would figure Faye to have rather nice large nipples, while Hannelore and dora have sweet and cute small nipples.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:47 »

That is hands down (and ass up) the best summary for what I mean.
Hate, rain on me

zagraf

« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:34 »

BAHAHAHA ARE YOU EVER A MORON

THE WHOLE FUCKING CONCEPT OF THIS THREAD WAS TROLLING

OR HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN A TROLL FEIGN INNOCENCE BEFORE ("Why, whatever do you mean" should've tipped you off)

BAHAHAHAHA ANOTHER PERSON BUTTHURT

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:54 »

So there's a Yelling Bird impersonator on the QC forums now...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2010, 19:03 »

OR HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN A TROLL FEIGN INNOCENCE BEFORE ("Why, whatever do you mean" should've tipped you off)

Butthurt? 

[looks around back]

No, mine's fine, thanks.  You on the other hand, with what you claim was feigned, seemed upset by being called a troll.  It was just some friendly advice. 

I should've known better, yeah, but mocking me doesn't hurt me

'cause you're  the one who winds up looking like an asshole. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2010, 19:30 »

Woah, woah, I should have known better with a girl like you
That I would love everything that you do
And I do, hey, hey, hey, and I do.

Whoa, whoa, I never realized what a kiss could be
This could only happen to me;
Can't you see, can't you see?

That when I tell you that I love you, oh,
You're gonna say you love me too, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, oh,
And when I ask you to be mine,
You're gonna say you love me too.

So, oh, I should have realized a lot of things before
If this is love you've gotta give me more
Give me more, hey hey hey, give me more

Whoa, whoa, I never realized what a kiss could be
This could only happen to me
Can't you see, can't you see?

That when I tell you that I love you, oh
You're gonna say you love me too, oh
And when I ask you to be mine,
You're gonna say you love me too,

You love me too
You love me too
You love me too
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2010, 20:37 »

Yes ladies and gentelmen, it's oldies night here on the Serious Pony Discussion forum...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

hannahsaurusrex

• Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2010, 22:48 »

That's actually the first song I learned how to play on guitar! 
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #36 on: 22 Nov 2010, 07:19 »

Laying it on a little thick there, sportsfan.
Hate, rain on me

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #37 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:08 »

I was completely sober when I made that thread, you dolt.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 06 Dec 2010, 21:23 »

I was completely sober when I made that thread, you dolt.

Now that scares me.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #39 on: 07 Dec 2010, 03:29 »

FUCK YEA

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #40 on: 07 Dec 2010, 07:58 »

that is one of the things I was NOT expecting from sobriety. Trolling is ever so much more fun now!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #41 on: 07 Dec 2010, 08:13 »

Hmm.  It appears that shocking people into submission doesn't work.  Perhaps another tactic is needed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #42 on: 07 Dec 2010, 08:21 »

Congratulations on becoming a global moderator, Paul.  I think you are one of the most consistent voices of reason on the forum. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #43 on: 07 Dec 2010, 09:33 »

Cool, a mod who actually reads (and even posts!) in this forum. 

Better than the "absentee landlord" style mod, who only comes by when called in a crisis...

Granted, est may lurk regularly, but I doubt it.  Pwhodges, your continued presence will be more like the beat cop whose prevents so much mayhem just by being there.  I'm glad someone was able to do this for the WCDT end of the forum. 

Now, about the name change...

:angel:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #44 on: 07 Dec 2010, 10:32 »

Names are admin business; I can't go there.  They express Jeph's current view of his bastard child.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #45 on: 07 Dec 2010, 11:12 »

I notice the "lower end's" names changed, as well.  Most are simplifications.  We are clearly the problem children, unless you count "Awkward self-aware makeout zone", which is not really what it sounds like most days. 

Well, I guess it's fffFFFFFFFFFFFFor now. 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #46 on: 07 Dec 2010, 12:12 »

Really? I've been wanting to be someone's problem child for years.

Funny, the first song I learned on guitar was CCR's "Bad Moon Rising." Unless you count "Little Brown Jug," but I played that with an aspirin bottle, so I'm not sure it counts.

And I guess "Little Brown Jug" brings us back to alk-ee-hol, so my work here is done.

Cop this.

BAA Damp! I'm hot,
BAA Domp! and when I'm not
BAA Damp! I'm cold as ice…
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2010, 12:16 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up