THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rat-Things Are Coming!!  (Read 2759 times)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
The Rat-Things Are Coming!!
« on: 04 Mar 2011, 05:12 »

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, the guys who made the big dog are now working on something designed to be able to outrun humans!

Perhaps you thought the four-legged BigDog robot wasn’t eerily lifelike enough. That’ll change soon. BigDog’s makers are working on a new quadruped that moves faster than any human and is agile enough to “chase and evade.”

Boston Dynamics, maker of the Army’s BigDog robotic mule, announced today that Darpa has awarded it a contract to build a much faster and more fearsome animal-like robot, Cheetah.

As the name implies, Cheetah is designed to be a four-legged robot with a flexible spine and articulated head (and potentially a tail) that runs faster than the fastest human. In addition to raw speed, Cheetah’s makers promise that it will have the agility to make tight turns so that it can “zigzag to chase and evade” and be able to stop on a dime.

Cheetah builds off work on the company’s previous four legged animal bot, BigDog.  It was built as a kind of unmanned pack mule, designed to carry equipment for troops on the battlefield. The robotic donkey could carry 300 lbs. over 13 miles on flat ground, take a swift kick and keep on moving. It’s creepy, lifelike movement can be seen on a number of videos online, climbing over hills and snow and hiking alongside soldiers, using GPS coordinates as its waypoints.

Aside from its unspecified military applications, Cheetah’s makers see it galloping to the rescue and building a brave new future in the fields of “emergency response, firefighting, advanced agriculture and vehicular travel.”

Think that’s creepy? Wait till you see its humanoid, Terminator look-alike buddy.

Meet Atlas, Cheetah’s humanoid pal. Atlas is supposed to look more or less like the T-800 series of Terminators, minus the head. Its designers say it’ll be able to walk like a human over rough terrain, crawling on its hands and knees when necessary and turning itself sideways to slip through any narrow passages it encounters. Headless, with a torso and two arms, it’s a step up from Boston Dynamics’ other biped, the lower-body-bot Petman.

Petman was built to test out chemical weapons protective suits for the Army by “walking, crawling and doing a variety of suit-stressing calisthenics” and “simulat[ing] human physiology.” Designers made it capable of walking heel-to-toe at 3.2 miles per hour and staying upright even after it gets pushed.

As the new models go into development, let’s hope Cheetah never develops a taste for human flesh and that Atlas doesn’t have any hard feelings about its predecessor being a poison-gas guinea pig for the Army.

bog. damn. i fucking love living in the future.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
Re: The Rat-Things Are Coming!!
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2011, 05:46 »

That exoskeleton is the sex! From the concept art you could tell they'd watched Aliens too many times, heh.

I just had a look at the Boston Dynamics (the big dog creators) and can't believe I missed some of these robots. These are even creepier than BigDog.

These are probably old as hell for everyone else...

"Little dog". It looks far too.... furtive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIipbi0cAVE&feature=relmfu

One that looks like a creepy hexapod gecko:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZGGL20g99A
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2011, 05:49 »

That second link is even more awesome. Top rated comment: "SCV ready", and dammit, that's pretty much on the spot.

It's funny how it's easy to get the billions of dollars that's needed for all of these projects as long as they are military. Imagine trying to get someone to invest the same kinds of sums in public transport development.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2011, 18:32 »

Rat thiiiiiiiing

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2011, 18:40 »

Makes me think of Ravage

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2011, 01:43 »

Rat-things are cyborgs though... I look forward to the effective integration of biology and machinery.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2011, 02:12 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up