THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 09:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: We love our pets!  (Read 328872 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: We love our pets!
« Reply #300 on: 11 Jul 2011, 06:24 »

Bonus video!  The first time Polly (the older dog) unthawed and started to play with Penny (the new pup):
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2011, 06:27 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #301 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:06 »

warning: adorable photo dump incoming!
i found some photos of my parents' new dog Ruby from last summer (i think) when she was still a super tiny puppy! aawwwww

she's much bigger now, and not nearly as cute
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #302 on: 25 Jul 2011, 04:54 »

The cat's been in the construction site next door, there's cement all throug his fur.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #303 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:11 »

Lucy has been adopted by someone else. :( On the bright side, we passed the home interview and are approved adopters for future dogs who come available. Also, my house is really clean now.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #304 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:06 »

my kitty Fiver ... my kitty Hazel

I hadn't caught up on this thread in a while (don't know why; this is by far the cutest thread on the forums; also OMG PUPPIES), and just saw this post on the last page.  Hooray for Watership Down names!

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #305 on: 27 Jul 2011, 19:29 »

this made me think about Paul.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #306 on: 24 Aug 2011, 15:28 »

Penny out and about:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #307 on: 27 Sep 2011, 17:16 »

Guess who I am picking up tomorrow after work? The answer is:

:-D :-D :-D

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #308 on: 09 Oct 2011, 09:03 »

Three of the five are off to their new homes today (although one of the homes is our next door neighbour).
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

SonofMog

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #309 on: 18 Oct 2011, 22:35 »

Do fish count as pets?

My female jack dempsey cichlid watching over her latest spawn, was quite happy when I saw them.
I know, I have to clean my aquarium.

Or if you like birds, this here is Boscoe:

Picked her up as a chick.
shaqfu: Like I said, the mere concept of a bat'leth-wielding Moogle did me in.

Penheart

• Plantmonster
  • Cause the voices tell me to
« Reply #310 on: 03 Nov 2011, 09:02 »

We look like a big black mass ^_^ I'm thinking of getting a black teacup pig to complete the trifecta.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #311 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:37 »

Oh, I totally forgot to post this! My girlfriend and I got a cat a few weeks ago!

We adopted her from a shelter and named her Trillian. Someone had apparently left her (and 4 ittybitty kittens! :( ) in a forest where she was picked up and taken to the shelter. Now she lives with us!

And she's utterly psychotic, but I guess all cats are.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #312 on: 19 Nov 2011, 19:51 »

Suddenly, the title is appropriate.

I'd like to introduce you to Max and Minnie, my dogs.  Max just turned 12, and we're not sure how old Minnie is, we found her running wild about three years ago.  According to the vet, she was probably about a year old, which would make her about 4 now.

In happier times, two summers ago;

Max is huge for a golden retriever, in his prime he was about 110 pounds, not an ounce of fat.  Nearly as tall as a great Dane, and barrel chested like a Rottweiler.  Minnie is actually fairly large for Pomeranian, about 11 pounds.

About two weeks ago, Max started showing signs of what we thought was just old age.  He was breathing a little heavier than usual, and really didn't want to go on walks anymore, just hang out in the yard.  He'd walk around kind of aimlessly in the house, staring at things.  At one point, when I was trying to talk him into going for a walk, he had what appeared to be a stroke; he fell over on his side, his front legs went stiff, his rear legs were kicking, and his eyes were rolling about.  He peed himself all over the sidewalk.  After that, he just got up and stood around staring for a while.  Then he seemed to be back to his old self...

Around the same time, he stopped eating his kibble.  He'd still eat anything we gave him, including dog biscuits, dinner scraps and his favorite, pizza crusts.  Two days ago, when I let him outside, he wouldn't go down the stairs and out into the yard.  His front legs were looking swollen, and his rear legs were looking very skinny and weak.  I picked him up and carried him down, and noticed that he'd lost a lot of weight -- I'd guess he was down to maybe 70 or 80 pounds. I also had to carry him back up the stairs, into the house.  And he didn't take the biscuit.  Yesterday, he lay down and wouldn't (or couldn't) get up.

I called the vet, and we have an appointment for Monday afternoon.  In the meantime, we cooked him some soft food (hamburger and rice), which he's been eating (thank goodness).  I was finally able to get him picked up and out into the yard this evening, and he was able to stand and pee, but he couldn't really walk around.  I carried him back in, and had to help him lie down.  He's so bony, he's been starving himself. 

God, I don't want him to die.  He's my first dog.  My family had dogs when I was growing up, but they were really my father's dogs.  Max was a 7 pound ball of fluff when we got him from the pound, he grew up with my kids, I've walked him two or three times a day every day for the last 12 years, and until he slowed down so much this fall, we played incessantly.  Sticks, balls, anything I could throw, we even had a version of tag.  He and Minnie would play "Fox and hound", she would be the Fox, jumping up in his face until he chased her around.  When he would catch her, he'd just pin her down with his paw for few minutes.  Then he let her up, and she'd jump on his head, and the game would start again.

I just hope it's something that can be treated, and that we'll have at least another couple of years.  But I can't stand to see him like this. 

Sorry, this probably should go in the blog thread. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #313 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:04 »

Poor baby. I really hope he gets better. Give him lots of extra love, hand feedings, and soft food.. baby or canned food will help him gain back the lost weight. It's what I do for my ferrets, though in much smaller quantities!

What you're describing could be something to do with his blood sugar. If it's especially high or low it can cause seizures. Definitely get a full blood panel at the vet. I don't know if dogs can get insulinoma, but it's relatively easy to treat, and with prednisone, pets can live a full life for a good while after diagnosis.

Good luck with him. He knows how much you love him.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #314 on: 21 Nov 2011, 15:42 »

Vat's today.  Two x-rays, chest and abdomen. 

God, this is so hard. 

His liver's riddled with tumors, and is over twice normal size.  It's pressing against his lungs and diaphragm, hence the constant panting.  pressing against his stomach and intestines, hence the lack of appetite.  It's also causing the fluid buildup - it's not doing its job well enough anymore.  The fluid's so bad we couldn't even see his heart in the x-ray. 

Today's my wife's birthday, I couldn't have him put down today.  I took him home so everyone else could also say goodbye.  I'll be checking around tomorrow to see about arrangements. 

As soon as I stop weeping. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #315 on: 21 Nov 2011, 16:02 »

Losing a dog is hard.  You have another, which helps, but you won't forget the old one. 

I've lost five dogs in their time (and some cats); I currently have two dogs of different ages, but still think of the others (mainly of one and sometimes another, I will admit).  Five of these are celebrated in my avatar selection:

Gilda (RIP):

Jenny (RIP):

Lucy (RIP):

Polly:

Penny:

Lucy died at about the same age as yours is - here is my last picture of her, under my desk:
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2011, 16:16 by pwhodges »

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #316 on: 21 Nov 2011, 16:19 »

Maria and Goldie

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Zingoleb

« Reply #317 on: 21 Nov 2011, 16:29 »

I was hit really hard at the fact that I don't have my pets anymore. Before they were only a couple days away if I really needed to see them, and now they're thousands of miles away, and I know my beautiful dalmatian will probably be gone before I see him again. I miss them like crazy.

I want to say 'my condolences' Carl, but that feels too impersonal. I'm so sorry.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #318 on: 21 Nov 2011, 21:27 »

Thanks, Zingo, and everyone else.  I just carried him outside to pee again - he still weighs about 95 lbs, and after carrying him around the vet (car to the exam room, exam room to x-ray, back to the exam room, back out to the car, into the house again) I'm bushed.  And sore.  He stands for a few when I set him on his feet, and takes a few staggering steps, sniffing the cold air.  He's always been a cold weather dog, happiest whenever it was snowing.  When I bring him in, he collapses. 

My wife's birthday dinner became a de facto wake.  Most of our good friends came by to spend a little time with him, petting and talking with him (OK, at him.  But he's always been very expressive). 

I plan on getting plastered after he's gone.  The owner, employees and regulars at the bar across the street all know him, he's barked at them all in his high tenor voice, and several of them would come over to pet him regularly.  They'll understand.  Even our postman got to know him (they're a wary breed, those postmen). 

He's a real neighborhood dog. 

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #319 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:40 »

Losing a dog is hard.  You have another, which helps, but you won't forget the old one. 

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #320 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:45 »

Second trip to the vet's today.  Said goodbye. 

:cry:

Crazy expensive.  Want to go drink, but have grading to finish that won't wait, because it's late for an online class, and I'm nearly a week behind.  See you all another day. 

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #321 on: 23 Nov 2011, 10:38 »

Hang in their Carl. That sucks. But you know that. We lost our little Lando this time last year. Maria still mourns and Thanksgiving will always be a little dimmer.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #322 on: 23 Nov 2011, 10:38 »

I'm so sorry. I know all too well how hard it is to lose a pet friend that way.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #323 on: 23 Nov 2011, 16:34 »

Second trip to the vet's today.  Said goodbye.
My sympathies. Losing loved ones is very hard.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #324 on: 24 Nov 2011, 07:47 »

reading this with a little white chihuahua glued to my hip.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #325 on: 26 Nov 2011, 23:11 »

My irresponsible sister has left her three cats with me and my mom. It's been kind of nuts having them here, but they make me feel better after a crappy day at work. They're very sweet cats, but they have their weird habits.

Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #326 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:49 »

I love how cats all have little quirks - my favourite of my three cats (I know I shouldn't have a favourite but she's only the favourite by a tiny margin) sometimes is washing herself and if she is startled by a sudden noise, her little pink tongue stays sticking out while she looks round for danger. SO CUTE.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

« Reply #327 on: 27 Nov 2011, 06:17 »

I had a kitty who would climb onto my desk and stare at me, and I would always turn it into a staring contest (and I would always lose).

Miss my Boo.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #328 on: 27 Nov 2011, 06:28 »

Apparently my dog has doggy allergies, and the people before us never bothered to find out what to, so now we get to do it. He's been scratching his ears and cut his head, so the vet had to shave the area around the scabs. *snerk*

Unfortunately they also trimmed his nails and left the roughest sharpest most busted up nails you can imagine, so last night he ripped himself up again. *le sigh* Has anyone ever done the whole doggy dermatologist or allergy blood test thing?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #329 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:08 »

We never did, we were able to find Max's allergy by trial and error - it was food dye.  Kibbles and bits left him scratching for two weeks!  It was pretty consistent, and he never had problems when we eliminated artificial coloring from his diet.  Apparantly it's a pretty common allergy in several breeds.  We had to buy dye-free benadryl for him! 

Oh, one other thing that happened a few years ago, Max seemed  to be having an allergic reaction, and it turned out that a nearby lawn he loved to roll on during walks was being treated with herbicides.  Keeping him off that grass cleared his condition almost imediately. 

Good luck.  A dog's exposure to allergens is pretty limited, they lead a fairly simple life.  You may be able to figure it out on your own.  In the meantime, file his nails! 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #330 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:25 »

I don't think I've posted any photos of our newest cat, Hermione, so here she is with Laser Eyes (Parker) in the background:

She doesn't look it in this photo, but she's about half the size of Parker. She's a very nice, dainty, talkative lady. Also she is very obsessed with ponytail holders and straws.

(The rug is crooked because Parker likes to play with it and tries to crawl under it.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #331 on: 06 Dec 2011, 11:18 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #332 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:09 »

That's a beautiful story.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #333 on: 30 Apr 2012, 22:54 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #334 on: 03 Jun 2012, 08:14 »

My wife's dog, Mishka. She's terrified of men at first, so we suspect she was abused by a previous owner. If she were human, she'd be the butt of a blonde joke; Gorgeous, and a little bit airheaded. We've had her for just over a year now, and it's been all fun and games (for her, at least). We'll be getting a German Shepherd pup for "my dog" once I get back from this deployment.

This is Sasha. She was an impulse adoption, as I'm not a big cat person. My buddy was helping me change a tire on my bike when our neighbour walked past and asked if I wanted a kitten, as he had four to give away. I was in an unusually pleasant mood (largely due to getting my bike fixed) and can't for the life of me figure out why I said yes. Looking back on it now, I did it for the photo ops. Sasha's the brat of the house, picking fights with Mishka that often result in getting skulldragged...literally.

This is pretty much par for the course with those two. I can't wait to see how the dynamics might change by adding another dog.

I'll stop spamming pictures now.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #335 on: 03 Jun 2012, 10:15 »

Oh, man - that's what this thread is for!  Beautiful animals.  We have an all black cat as well, nearly 16 years old now, starting to go blind.  Regal as all hell. 

Oh, and Mishka's man thing?  Our golden retriever Max had the same issues.  Thing is, we had him from the age of 6 weeks, he was never abused by anyone, but I was the only man he wasn't scared of.  He was OK with boys up to about pre-teen, but once they were teenagers, he was wary, and men were a real point of fear (along with thunder and gunshots).  I personally think he could smell the testosterone... or something. 

I still miss him.  I finally brough the box with his ashes in from the car yesterday, he'd been riding under the seat all winter.  We'll probably scatter them at the lake when we introduce Lillie to the glories of swimming this summer. 

Nikolai

« Reply #336 on: 03 Jun 2012, 11:16 »

Yeah. Anytime I go to the field for a week there's always a couple-hour re-acclimatization period with Mishka, even when I bribe her with treats. I'm interested to see how she'll react/if she'll remember me when I get back.

My wife has a thing for fostering kittens, which is actually perfect for me. I love kittens, but hate (for the most part) cats. I call it "renting kittens". The first time we fostered with Mishka, we were definitely wary as to how she'd react, but it turns out that she's a natural-born momma for all species. She groomed and pooped Sasha, and would pick her up and carry her around the house. I'm fairly certain that Sasha thinks she's a dog; even when we leave the cat food where only she can reach it, she prefers Iams.

When they're not fighting like cats and dogs, Sasha spends most of her time like this.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #337 on: 03 Jun 2012, 13:35 »

Misha looks somewhat like an Akita we had growing up. Somewhere my mom has pics of her playing with some pug puppies. Darling.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Nikolai

« Reply #338 on: 03 Jun 2012, 13:41 »

We're not entirely sure what breeds she is. There's obviously husky in her, but the rest is as mysterious as why she prefers to pee on the carpet five minutes after she's back inside.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #339 on: 03 Jun 2012, 14:11 »

Those two are so cute together!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #340 on: 03 Jun 2012, 15:11 »

...why she prefers to pee on the carpet five minutes after she's back inside.

Marking her home territory, to warn other dogs away. 

Basically, she's protecting you. 

Should be interesting when you get the other dog.  Make sure it's a puppy she can raise right, so she'll accept it. 

Nikolai

« Reply #341 on: 03 Jun 2012, 15:17 »

But it's MY territory...

As far as I can recall, we haven't ever had another dog in the house with her. She's extremely submissive on other dogs' turf, and I've only heard her growl at people on the porch once or twice.

What do you mean by "a puppy she can raise right"? Unlike my wife, who was raised with animals, I was lucky to have a goldfish for a year when I was young. I'm rather new at this "fur family" business.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #342 on: 03 Jun 2012, 15:23 »

But it's MY territory...

She's extremely submissive on other dogs' turf

Exactly.  The pee mark makes your home her turf to other dogs. 

What do you mean by "a puppy she can raise right"? Unlike my wife, who was raised with animals, I was lucky to have a goldfish for a year when I was young. I'm rather new at this "fur family" business.

Puppies are automatically submissive to be acceptable to any other dog.  If the dog you get is mature, there may be a dominance competition between it ans Mishka.  There may not, but it's hard to know beforehand.  Also, if a mature and more dominint dog takes over her turf, she may start acting out from the frustration and loss of dominance - chewing on things, and other destructive behaviour. 

Besides, puppies = cute!!  You don't want to miss out on that. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #343 on: 04 Jun 2012, 00:13 »

My puppy, Penny (now 1 year old) was pretty much dominant over the older dog, Polly, from the start.  Polly did teach her to play and fight, as the older dog will normally do, and has found a way of living contentedly with the puppy as well; but there's no question that in the end she will always back down.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #344 on: 04 Jun 2012, 01:33 »

Interesting!  I've only ever seen puppies be submissive around older dogs, until they're a couple of months old.  Takes all kinds! 

Zingoleb

« Reply #345 on: 01 Jul 2012, 07:44 »

My wife's dog, Mishka.

story times: I say "Meeeshka, I laaaahv you!" at least once a week.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #346 on: 01 Jul 2012, 09:47 »

Penny had what she thought was a particularly pleasant walk on Friday.  She brought home a memento:

Then she had the garden hose turned on her for a while.  And a deodorising shampoo.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #347 on: 04 Oct 2012, 10:04 »

I didn't really think I was the sort of person who shows off pictures of their pets as though they were personality-laced child-substitutes. Until recently. And for good reason!

The reason is: "d'awww"
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

Zingoleb

« Reply #348 on: 04 Oct 2012, 14:00 »

the reason is is that a fucking bengal

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #349 on: 04 Oct 2012, 19:12 »

BENGAL KITTY! I has one too!

Also in a Gym bag:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30   Go Up