THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: We love our pets!  (Read 319880 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Re: We love our pets!
« Reply #750 on: 08 Aug 2013, 08:52 »

Hehe, fart kitten. The expensive stuff can be just as bad, unfortunately. But that's part of the problem with feeding canned or kibble. It has tons of stuff they don't need. The best way to feed pets is raw and all natural, but that is really fucking difficult.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #751 on: 08 Aug 2013, 09:41 »

I've two cats.  Both are rescues.  Ashes & Butterscotch:
Now Ashes loves to snuggle in at night, and usually sleeps between my feet.
He is the older cat, but slimmer and a very productive hunter.
Butterscotch is very smart and useful: he is my alarm cat.
Every weekday morning, when my cell phone alarm goes off to wake me up; Butterscotch comes and gets me up.
walks on my head, bats my keys off the shelf and all over the floor and will knock over available drink cups if he can.
And then he follows me all around as I get ready.
Just makin' sure I stay awake and don't drift off...

Oddly enough, I never liked cats as a kid.  But now I do.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #752 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:01 »

Under my desk:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #753 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:30 »

I have two cats.

This is Simba

Poor fella arrived at the cat shelter when his owner just knocked on the door and wanted to left him there because he was "too noisy in his room". He only lived in the toilet as in food, water, bed and sandbox all in the same room. He also had a huge mark around his neck because they never even changed the size of his collar. Fortunately the mark is gone and the people from the shelter told us that the woman falt out said something like "if you can't take him in because you don't have much place I could just put him to sleep". :(
He was so shy when he came to my house, it seems like everything was big to him and went he found the bathroom he actually went to the bath tub and started to sleep. That moment was quite heartbreaking. I'm really surprised at how happy, cuddle-friendly and serene he is considering his past.

This is Bella (absolutely no relation to THAT Bella, the guys at the shelter named her that way and we didn't feel like changing it since we think it suits her... She's kind of a diva)

She was born at the shelter (so her mom was the one abandoned). I love my cats equally but I do have a special bond with Bella. Probably because we both suck at having some good contact with everyone else! I'm basically the only one that can carry her for a long period of time, everyone else just gets scratched at some point. She always sleeps with me and when I'm away for one night or two mom always tells me that she gets sad  and cries at night. Damn I'm gonna get all emotional when I finally move out and have to say good bye to her and Simba. :(

Fortunately both like each other. Bella arrived a coule of months before and started to hit Simba a couple of times hehehe. Simba needed just one big slap at her face to send her flying and everything calmed down since then.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #754 on: 19 Aug 2013, 07:42 »

Under my desk:
[deskdogs]

I think all dogs think they're a lot smaller than they are, regardless of how they do or don't fit into a space.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #755 on: 19 Aug 2013, 17:18 »

Unless they slept there since they were puppies, in which case it could be just the habit.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #756 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:33 »

I remember the first time I saw that picture it actually made me cry. I think I was unusally emotional at the time but I still find it kind of sad.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Grognard

« Reply #757 on: 28 Aug 2013, 12:08 »

Damn I'm gonna get all emotional when I finally move out and have to say good bye to her and Simba. :( 

Why are you having to say goodbye and move out?  My pets my family.  Wherever I go, they go.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #758 on: 28 Aug 2013, 15:30 »

If the pet belongs to the family, and the child grows up and moves out, the pet usually stays where it is. For a start, my flat is not big enough for me, never mind two cats (the other cat and dog were there when I moved in).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #759 on: 28 Aug 2013, 19:50 »

Simba's story made me super sad. :( But I'm glad Simba is a happy kitty now.

Re: leaving pets behind with parents - some apartments don't allow pets or charge too much. When I first moved out of my mom's, I left my cat Parker behind to keep her company. I loved Parker and still do, but she would have been by herself. Also he would have hated living in an apartment when he's used to an entire house and sometimes yard. (He escapes, we don't intentionally let him out anymore because he kept getting worms. He also used to be a primarily outdoor cat, because I'd see him wandering around the street before we took him in.) My husband had to leave his cat Hobbes with his parents because his apartment building didn't allow pets, but Hobbes moved in with us when we got a house.

Re: under desk montage - that was my dearly departed cat Waffles and 12-pack box. As a kitten, it was big enough to be a little play house. As a full grown cat, he could squeeze his head and shoulders in it. (He tried squeezing in more, but he'd either get stuck or break the box, as he was big and fat.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier
« Reply #760 on: 29 Aug 2013, 06:59 »

EDIT: Because my other links weren't working properly, I'm changing how the pictures display.  I'm horribly new at this method of picture posting, so please tell me if I need to reduce the sizes....

My mom's dog, Jake

Some random pics of my dog, Rusty, while I was forced to move back in with my folks for a while.

Rusty standing out on the porch of my new apartment
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2013, 18:20 by FuryoftheStars »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #761 on: 29 Aug 2013, 14:39 »

Fury, I'm getting a 'The page isn't redirecting properly' message with those links.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier
« Reply #762 on: 29 Aug 2013, 18:16 »

Figures... they're working for me for some unknown reason, but give me a few to correct....

EDIT: Ok, fixed.  Let me know if I need to reduce the sizes of those pics.  I know how... I'm just not familiar with what is "too big".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #763 on: 30 Aug 2013, 02:00 »

Let me know if I need to reduce the sizes of those pics.  I know how... I'm just not familiar with what is "too big".

The forum software will force them to be displayed inside an 800x800 box to stop them distorting the layout*.  What matters more is the number of bytes - and sensible jpgs are usually OK.  I try to keep well below 250kB, but don't usually comment until they reach 1MB these days.

* This failed in one post last week - I have no idea why...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier
« Reply #764 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:24 »

Hmm, crap.  Three of the photos I put up are 2 Mb+ on my PC.  I can't deal with it this second (getting things together to travel down to my other work site), but I'll get it all sorted out at some point today before I go to sleep.

Grognard

« Reply #765 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:27 »

Sorry I misunderstood/forgot about moving out of the 'rents, and thus, leaving pets behind.

I've just seen too many adorable dogs and cats given over the Shelter because a new apartment won't accept pets.
:(

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #766 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:41 »

Hmm, crap.  Three of the photos I put up are 2 Mb+ on my PC.  I can't deal with it this second (getting things together to travel down to my other work site), but I'll get it all sorted out at some point today before I go to sleep.

Photobucket must have dealt with it, as they're all about 120kB as linked, which is fine.

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier
« Reply #767 on: 30 Aug 2013, 08:32 »

Huh... yup, so they are.  Alright... works for me. :)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #768 on: 01 Sep 2013, 15:43 »

I'LL TAKE A WHOLE MURDER OF THEM!

I want corvid pets :-(

and rats

and wolves

Pass on the rats, but I want ravens and wolves.

Prairie dogs as pets.

First I was like this:

Then I read this: http://www.jandaexotics.com/Prairie_Dog.html
Now I want a few.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #769 on: 17 Sep 2013, 16:32 »

what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #770 on: 18 Sep 2013, 07:44 »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #771 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:45 »

[one fuzzy thing holding another]

Which one's the pet?   :-D
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #772 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:46 »

That is the question, isn't it?

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #773 on: 24 Sep 2013, 23:25 »

Meet Scout and Ned:

Scout likes to be grumbly and Ned likes to play. Ned like cuddles, playing fetch, and eating whatever he can get to.

Scout is less than impressed with the latest addition to the family, but she's letting him stay for the moment.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #774 on: 25 Sep 2013, 00:20 »

Oh Grud, it's a Vorlon Telepathic Cat!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #775 on: 25 Sep 2013, 01:50 »

ERIS! Hello! Those cats are gorgeous; I love Ned's big pupils. I want a kitty to snuggle.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #776 on: 25 Sep 2013, 09:35 »

KITTY BABIES so cute

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #777 on: 25 Sep 2013, 13:39 »

This morning I picked up a sweater to wear, and realised it was full of cat hairs from my boyfriend's cat. I picked up another sweater, which was full of cat hairs from my cat at home. I couldn't wear any of the sweaters, but they made me realise how much I miss kitties. :(
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #778 on: 25 Sep 2013, 19:55 »

I uploaded a bunch of photos onto facebook so I could look at them when having to deal with annoying customers. I think this is my favourite one of Neddy

Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #779 on: 26 Sep 2013, 00:41 »

I think I mentioned in another thread (probably complaints) that my wife found a dog wandering the highway. 

It's been two weeks now.  She's clean, putting on weight.  Trimmed the facial fur so she could see.  She's not cowering every time someone comes near her, and can actually be very affectionate.  No collar, tags, chip or tattoo.  The beginnings of what may be a tumor on her belly near a nipple. 

He face is cute.  The rest of her?  Awkward.  Rear legs are longer than the front - noticeably so.  Body's too long.  Teeth are rotting.  Breath that could knock you out.  She's about 8 - 10 years old (the vet's estimate).  And she yaps.  God, the noise.  Growls at the cats.  Doesn't know how to play, at least, gets nervous when the other dogs are playing and just barks at them from a safe vantage point. 

But she can't stay.  It really isn't working, she's pretty badly damaged goods in more ways than one.  No one's claimed her from the info we gave to the vets and the humane society up where she was found. 

We do not have a no-kill shelter here.  And she will not be high on the adoption list.  So taking her to the humane society is pretty much a death sentence.  Being put to sleep is a big improvement over starving to death or being hit by a car, though. 

Isn't it?   :cry:

Fuck. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #780 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:50 »

Yes, sadly, it is. Sometimes it's better to let go than see them suffer.

I should know.  :cry:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #781 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:57 »

Can you figure out what breed she might be? Or one of her breeds? You might be able to find a shelter that caters to specific breeds that would be willing to come get her.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #782 on: 26 Sep 2013, 07:02 »

Carl, you might want to try posting something on Craigslist or Petfinder.com- there are kind souls everywhere that could give her what she needs but they may not cross paths with her at the shelter.

Best of luck. *hugs*
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #783 on: 26 Sep 2013, 09:12 »

For my class I have to make a documentary and I think about doing one about pets. That's as far as I've got but if people here are willing to tell some stories about why they keep animals and stories of times they've made you happy, maybe message me? It'd be very helpful if you have a way of filming yourself or recording audio, even just a few photos would be very helpful if you're happy to share them. I doubt I'll be posting this on YouTube, unless it turns out amazing, so it'll most likely just be seen by less than a dozen students. This idea is very much in the conceptual stage so it may not come to be but it depends on how much interest I can get in people being will to talk to me. :psyduck: Please and thank you for your time.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #784 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:41 »

Hannah! Ned is adorable and I want to cuddle him. Ginger kitties!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #785 on: 01 Oct 2013, 13:17 »

My cat is actively demanding cuddles and not leaving me alone right now. I think she's upset with me because I've been gone all day...

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #786 on: 01 Oct 2013, 18:32 »

This is Daenarys,

Daenerys recently had puppies,

The dad is my baby, Mateo,

Mateo when he was a puppy! (I totally have favorites)

And these are Theodore and Nikolas, they passed away three months ago but they're still in my heart. <3
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."

ackblom12

« Reply #787 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:32 »

Getting a cats tooth pulled is a might expensive.

Edit: Well shit. It's not an infected tooth. It seems to be a well developed and aggressive tumor. Going to give him a long term antibiotic shot because his teeth are irritating it so that the infection doesn't get any worse. Otherwise they're giving us a week's trial of pain meds to see if it helps him day to day at all.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2013, 09:53 by ackblom12 »

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #788 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:38 »

Aww I'm so sorry Steve and Kat, poor little kitty. :(
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #789 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:27 »

That's what happened to my cat, Majik, last year.  I felt the lump in her lower jaw long before she started losing teeth (and bone).  It went pretty fast.  We couldn't afford a vet to put her down, either.  She'd been fat and sassy, but wasn't able to eat at all after a while, and I got to watch her starve herself.  She complained when I wasn't holding her.  The pic was taken a few weeks before she died, when I realized how few pictures I had of her.  Note the tongue, and the faded black fur down her front from the constant drool.  By that time, most of that side of her jaw was just sort of missing. 

She finally passed in the night a little over a year ago, at the age of 15.  She spent the entire evening before (and most of that week, really) in my lap, and now occupies a special corner in our yard. 

I've buried way too many pets in the last few years.  Doesn't seem to stop us from getting more. 

Oh, that stray dog I mentioned recently? She seems to have made herself at home, despite my best efforts. 

ackblom12

« Reply #790 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:09 »

Well, he just did a big yawn in my face and I saw the tumor. That thing is not small and is on a rather disconcerting length of his jaw. On the plus side, the antibiotics seem to be helping with the infection. He's started eating again and as Kat has said in the blog thread, we're feeding him people food whenever he asks for it since there's no longer any real long term health risks associated with over eating. He's definitely a bit more active and up for socializing with us more often, so we're just focusing on trying to make him as happy and comfortable as we possibly can until it gets bad enough to take him in.

Like you, this definitely won't be the first pet I've had to put down, in a couple of cases I had to do it myself, but it doesn't really seem to get any easier.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #791 on: 06 Feb 2014, 20:32 »

i’ll see you in hell you mailman piece of shit

I want a GSD so bad T_T

<mod>This post and a number following moved from the pointless thread</mod>
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2014, 08:59 by pwhodges »
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #792 on: 06 Feb 2014, 21:17 »

Is that the gun or the pup?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #793 on: 07 Feb 2014, 05:05 »

Is that the gun or the pup?

The Pup. I'd take an Knight's Armament SR-21 rifle as well. Those bad boys cost more then my car did.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #794 on: 07 Feb 2014, 05:06 »

Word. Pups are awesome.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #795 on: 07 Feb 2014, 05:52 »

I'd looooove a shepherd. They're so smart (and loyal)!

.....they are also HUGE and SO FLUFFY. My sinuses would attack me instantly. We're probably going to get an itty bitty short haired doggy. Perhaps like one of these little dudes!

*squeeeeeeeeee*
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2014, 05:59 by lepetitfromage »
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #796 on: 07 Feb 2014, 08:07 »

Did someone say GSD?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #797 on: 07 Feb 2014, 09:22 »

A German Shepherd or a Husky are the only two dogs I'd ever consider getting. But since a Husky's need for movement would greatly exceed my own, that one wouldn't be such a great idea. I can totally see myself getting a German Shepherd sometime, though.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #798 on: 07 Feb 2014, 09:31 »

I too always wanted a husky but I hear they need a TON of exercise...so I may settle for a malamute or a Samoyed...but then theres all the hair...and my girlfriend is allergic to dogs and cats... :psyduck:

« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2014, 12:36 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #799 on: 07 Feb 2014, 10:18 »

My wife and I have a husky/samoyed mix that is most decidedly my wife's dog. Once we buy a house, I'm getting a GSD for myself.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30   Go Up