THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 12:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: We love our pets!  (Read 331991 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: We love our pets!
« Reply #900 on: 09 Jun 2014, 11:36 »

Why would you keep sandwiches in a box for knives? I realize you could just be illustrating how derpy this cat was, but this could also be some charming Britishism that didn't make it across the pond.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #901 on: 09 Jun 2014, 11:54 »

Haha I was mixing my metaphors - she wasn't the brightest bulb in the box. She was one sandwich short of a picnic. She wasn't the sharpest knife in the knife box.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #902 on: 09 Jun 2014, 12:17 »

I find it worrying that you apparently have a knife box. Even I don't have a box of them!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #903 on: 09 Jun 2014, 13:09 »

Actually at the moment it's more of a knife bag - I haven't bought a cutlery divider yet. But I do have a fair number of knives of different sizes.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #904 on: 09 Jun 2014, 13:58 »

Maybe box = drawer? I dunno.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #905 on: 14 Jun 2014, 14:00 »

Oops, I was looking on a localish animal shelter and I have fallen in love with this dog. There's no way I'd be able to give him a home but I've bookmarked the page anyway just to torture myself.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #906 on: 15 Jun 2014, 08:00 »

I sent a message to some people looking to rehome their guinea pigs, which is why I was on shelter sites yesterday, and I'm so excited! I might have small furries soon!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #907 on: 15 Jun 2014, 15:36 »

Name: Mingus.
Sex: Male
Breed: OE Mastiff
Much paws
http://pic.twitter.com/5YwSEbQhAc
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #908 on: 15 Jun 2014, 16:25 »

I sent a message to some people looking to rehome their guinea pigs, which is why I was on shelter sites yesterday, and I'm so excited! I might have small furries soon!
I was thinking of getting a guinea pig once Sarah and I have our apartment. How much attention do they require? (I'd be glad to give them all the attention they need when I'm home, but I'll probably be out and at work a lot)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #909 on: 15 Jun 2014, 16:41 »

I'm not great to ask because this will be my first time owning them (if the people respond). From what I've read and heard from others, they function better in pairs because they are quite social but maintenance like cleaning seems handy enough to me. I got a lot of good information from here.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #910 on: 15 Jun 2014, 17:33 »

Long time cavie owner here! Guinea pigs are VERY social animals who are extremely friendly and talkative with their owners, they take a gentle and calm hand like most rodents and some first time owners can be put off by how skittish they seem, once your guineas get to know you, and you take the time to socialize them with people, they'll come right to you quite happily.

Some critical points:
Bedding and cage changing: Ensure you get good quality bedding for your guineas, the thicker stuff is what mine liked and it was more handy for cleaning as well. Make sure the bedding your getting hasn't been treated with any form of chemicals like "fresh scent" type stuff for cat litter. It can be very detrimental to ANY rodent's health. Your guinea pigs cages NEED to be changed once a week.
Social: As mentioned above and correctly noted by Welu guinea pigs function best in pairs or more. Make sure you have only girls or only boys unless you want lil'uns. Unlike say ferrets guineas do not need the same high level of interaction, some strokes and pets and a treat or two while topping off their water, food and hay for the day is fine, but more is usually welcome as well. This is especially true if you have multiple guinea pigs. If you have only one, you will need to ensure it gets regular, detailed attention every day. Considering how cheap cavies are ($20 at my local pet store) it's worth it for the happiness of your animals to go ahead and pick up a second or third)
Chewing: Guineas, like most rodents have those big ol'teeth and need the opportunity to chew on things to stay healthy. Salt chews are sometimes recommended but we found that these chew sticks that look like great big fruit and nut bars that clip to the side of the cage are best.
Chow: Good quality guinea feed is important, if possible get feed specifically formulated for guinea pigs, a mix of pellets and seeds. This should be supplemented by hay, and vitamin C yoghurt drop treats which should be available at your local pet store.
A retreat: Like most animals guinea pigs need a place they can retreat to within their enclosure, a little plastic hutch does the trick usually. If they retreat don't pull them out. Let them come to you.
Talking: Guinea pigs talk, a lot. At all hours of the night and day. (Guinea pigs can be active for up to 20 hours a day.) They are very communicative and expressive about their likes and dislikes and as you get experienced you'll find they do actually "talk" to you. Including greeting their favored person when they come into the room. (My guinea pigs made different noises when I came into the room or when my mom did compared to everyone else)
It's definitely something to consider, especially if you're going to be living in an apartment.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #911 on: 15 Jun 2014, 17:35 »

(Re: that video) EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :wow:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #912 on: 15 Jun 2014, 19:37 »

I love the chortle-purr!!!! Definitely my favorite sound.

So when I was in SLC, my coteacher told me that Maisy (the class guinea pig) was quiet and pretty much depressed when I was gone. I think I know who her favorite person is. <3 But now I'm gone for two weeks and I think I feel more sad for the class guinea pig than I do for my cat. (I think part of that is because I primarily take care of her and I'm the only one who can whistle like a guinea pig back to her.) But she's got all of the kids and then some, because kids from other classes like visiting her!

Also she is OBSESSED with apples. Like...she knows the sound of cutting up an apple and she will not stop squeaking until I give her a slice. Also I think she's starting to learn the word apple, because she will squeak a couple times if she hears the word. She takes an apple slice, dashes into her house, and then a little while later you hear her purring. SO CUTE.

Serious question though - can people be allergic to guinea pigs? The last couple times I've picked her up, I've gotten a few small hives. I don't know if it's her or if it's her hay being on her feet/fur. I plan on asking a doctor, but I just wondered if anyone has heard of that being an allergy before.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #913 on: 15 Jun 2014, 19:39 »

Are you allergic to any other animals?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #914 on: 15 Jun 2014, 20:36 »

Nope. Not that I know of anyways.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #915 on: 15 Jun 2014, 21:50 »

theoretically you can be allergic to any variety of animal based on a variety of factors ranging from dander and oil on the skin and other chemical reactions. However, I would guess you're having a reaction to the guinea pigs hay

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #916 on: 15 Jun 2014, 23:56 »

My friend found she was allergic to mice - which is how I ended up with a pet mouse! But actually she might indeed have been allergic to what was in the cage, she never got a test or anything.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #917 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:06 »

I always use a glove when I feed her and luckily if I get hives, they go away within an hour or faster if I use cortisone.

Also I might see if I can get her an outdoor pen so we can take her outside on the playground and let her play in the grass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #918 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:26 »

A little metal cage top is very serviceable for that. You can also find guinea pig size hamster balls.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #919 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:38 »

I've read balls aren't good for guinea pigs because their spines aren't built to curve the same way as hamsters, even if they're in a bigger ball.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #920 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:46 »

I've never considered that... maybe? I know wheels aren't good for them.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #921 on: 16 Jun 2014, 05:02 »

When I've searched something along the lines of "guinea pig balls" (hurr) a lot of anecdotal forum posts come up recommending against it. So I don't know but I guess it's better not to risk their health.  Before I was planning on getting the balls but I'm going to make a play space on the floor for them instead.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #922 on: 16 Jun 2014, 06:03 »

A former coworker brought in a hamster ball for Maisy when she was still itty bitty and she did not like it.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #923 on: 16 Jun 2014, 07:28 »

Yeah, balls are a big no-no. Piggers can get pretty badly injured. :-(

GM posted a lot of great info! Just have a few things to add-

Hay is very important to have- it's food as well as entertainment! When we drop hay into Rocko's cage, he dive bombs into it. Alfalfa and timothy are good. Hay can get expensive, but if you have a farm anywhere nearby, they should be able to sell you some for pretty cheap. We managed to snag a half bale of alfalfa hay for about $5. Your pigger should have access to hay, pellets and water all day, every day. Rocko is temperamental about his yogurt drops, so I make sure I get pellets that have vitamin C added.

A great way to make sure they give those chompers a workout is to get timothy cubes. They take plain ol' timothy hay and compress it into blocks. It's also delicious (so I've heard). Toilet paper or paper towel tubes are fun toys too, just make sure they don't have any adhesive on them.

Clipping their nails is VERY important. Because of the way they grow, when nails aren't cut regularly they can curl inward and hurt your little dudes paws. It's tough at first but gets easier as you get used to it. Definitely a two person job! We use this and it is amazing.

www.guinealynx.info and http://www.guineapigcages.com are two really great resources. I like the C&C (cubes & coroplast) cage tutorials and this really great food chart from Guinea Pig Cages. Any cage you buy in a store is more than likely going to be too small for a pig. We still have our first cage but use it primarily for outdoor time. We made a C&C cage that it about 2'x4' and it's awesome. Now that we're down to one pig, it's a castle. The food chart on that site is excellent. I've had my pigger for quite some time now and I still reference that chart regularly. He loves green and red leaf lettuce (not a fan of romaine) and cucumbers are his favorite veggie. He LOVES seedless grapes too. I cut a few in half and he gets so excited when he sees them! You'll discover what's best for your pig (and your budget) over time. Rocko is a big fan of fresh parsley and cilantro. Unfortunately, For the cost of 3 servings of cilantro, I can get him lettuce for the whole week. Cilantro is a treat now.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #924 on: 16 Jun 2014, 07:50 »

Treat food and varied food is important I find just for overall pig happiness. My guys all liked carrots quite a lot and extra fresh veg supplements their diets nicely as well as being more engaging and varied for them.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #925 on: 16 Jun 2014, 07:58 »

Mine seems to really like apples and likes sugar snap peas and pears. She doesn't seem to care too much for carrots, dunno why.

lepetit, that cage website is awesome. I think I may invest in one of the small cages with a loft, as the cage I have is kind of too small now. I think she'd like the loft as I got a house she could climb on and she sits on top of it a lot. Also maybe it'd be a better place for food...hmm...

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #926 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:23 »

There are some people that go all out and have cages so big that they basically take up a whole room!! Google C&C Cages- it's amazing what people have done!

It's definitely a project, but assuming you can find coroplast, they're great! We reinforced our cube panels with zip ties.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #927 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:48 »

Thanks for all the advice, people!

Papersatan

« Reply #928 on: 16 Jun 2014, 13:20 »

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #929 on: 16 Jun 2014, 14:21 »

Macka wins. Flawless victory.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #930 on: 16 Jun 2014, 17:38 »

Yeah my cats have already destroyed the only horizontal window blinds in the house.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #932 on: 19 Jun 2014, 14:21 »

The person I contacted about buying their guinea pigs didn't get back to me and when I checked the ad again, it was deleted. :( I've tried shelters but no joy, they currently only have two to be re-homed and they're ones they're actually trying to separate because they don't get along. Guess I'll go the pet store route, since from what I've researched the local one seems to be cool and doesn't run like a mill which was my main worry.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #934 on: 20 Jun 2014, 20:36 »

Anne Wheaton tweeted a picture of an adorable Pitbull/Hound mix. I responded with this because I'm awful.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #935 on: 22 Jun 2014, 19:12 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #936 on: 01 Jul 2014, 19:47 »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :wow:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #937 on: 02 Jul 2014, 01:25 »

The joke is that the dog probably thought that his owner was upset, which is why he was trying to calm him down at the end.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #938 on: 02 Jul 2014, 04:05 »

Is it? I thought the dog was just sick of the pee jokes :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #939 on: 02 Jul 2014, 09:56 »

So cute!!

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #940 on: 03 Jul 2014, 08:58 »

Frank the Derp

Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #941 on: 03 Jul 2014, 14:25 »

"Why is the human not rubbing my belly?"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #942 on: 10 Jul 2014, 02:59 »

Any new kitten pictures, Neko?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #943 on: 10 Jul 2014, 04:04 »

I keep forgetting that you're not on my facebook to see all the pics I post there.

Car kitten!

She fell asleep in my arms while playing with my hand.

Percy and Elinore are sort of getting along!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #944 on: 16 Jul 2014, 03:20 »

How to amuse two lazy indoor cats! Advice! (get down!)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #945 on: 16 Jul 2014, 04:24 »

Laser pointers tend to work pretty well.  Well, those and catnip.  Stoner kitties are rather easily amused:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=538
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #946 on: 16 Jul 2014, 05:53 »

I'd be afraid of blinding my cats with those.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #947 on: 16 Jul 2014, 06:17 »

Don't shine the things in their eyes.  They *do* love chasing the little dot on the floor, though.  The main thing to remember is after a good laser play session, one should introduce a toy they can actually catch and maul, so that their kitteh brain gets the needed release of a successful "hunt".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #948 on: 16 Jul 2014, 10:08 »

Re: laser pointers. There are pointers which are approved for that specific purpose (that won't hurt their eyes). Not sure if that's a swedish brand or something but we have one. Only one of the cats like it though (we have two). The other prefers playing with string. Also, catnip just makes them obsessed and lazy, I'm actually more like trying to activate them.

I was thinking maybe if anyone has any ideas for games? DIY ideas?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #949 on: 16 Jul 2014, 10:13 »

My cat wouldn't care for catnip at all. There's junkies and there's the unfazed.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30   Go Up