THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: We love our pets!  (Read 320016 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: We love our pets!
« Reply #1100 on: 25 Sep 2014, 05:08 »

I had a cat with symptoms similar to that once; also a reddening of visible skin, such as inside the ears.  He recovered over about a week.  The vet attributed it to chewing some unidentified toxic plant, or just possibly eating the corpse of a poisoned mouse or rat.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1101 on: 25 Sep 2014, 05:14 »

Blood tests were negative which point to something toxic. We're keeping her in for a while while the diagnosis is ongoing. Could be a lot of things like licking rat poison, lily pollen, close contact with a recently flea treated dog, etc...

Supposed to be trying rectally administered Diazepam which proved elusive last night. Trying again this evening.

She doesn't seem too unhappy and is still being playful which is a good thing. Occaisionally she'll tremble while lying down and looks a bit distressed though. I guess it'll get to her a bit.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1102 on: 25 Sep 2014, 06:30 »

Aw, poor kitty! I hope she recovers quickly. :-(
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1103 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:20 »

My stepdad and mum's dog Midge is almost certainly dying :(
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1104 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:53 »

Newt seems to be getting better. Her strength has returned and the trembling has receded. Probably not going to be tip top a while but well enough to be allowed back outside.

Alas my in-laws have had to put their dog down. He was old, quite weak and had developed a rapidly metastasising tumour. If I'm brutally hones I think he had declined past a reasonable quality of life some time ago but these decisions are never easy.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1105 on: 01 Oct 2014, 18:39 »

My kitty is sick and is staying overnight at the vet.  :-(  All we know right now is that she's got something going on with her liver that was either caused by her not eating OR she's not eating because of her liver problems. I'll find out more tomorrow. Considering her brother was out down last year because of feline leukemia (she's always tested negative for it), I'm a bit worried.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1106 on: 01 Oct 2014, 18:41 »

Aww Linds that's awful :( Fingers crossed she'll make a quick recovery!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Metope

« Reply #1107 on: 01 Oct 2014, 18:53 »

And May, was that the dog Jens met? I remember him saying he really liked your family's dog, and he never likes any dog ever so it must be a special one. I'm sorry to hear he's not doing well, hugs!

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1108 on: 01 Oct 2014, 21:19 »

woke up the morning with the fat cat's ass on my head, and the black cat nestled firmly between my shoulder blades.

... still haven't decided if they were actually trying to suffocate me in my sleep??
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Metope

« Reply #1109 on: 02 Oct 2014, 00:47 »

I've got a new breakfast companion.

(and yes, he stole the ham)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1110 on: 02 Oct 2014, 01:11 »

And May, was that the dog Jens met? I remember him saying he really liked your family's dog, and he never likes any dog ever so it must be a special one. I'm sorry to hear he's not doing well, hugs!

No, Jens met my dad's dog who is still fine thankfully. Midge was my stepdad's dog and he died peacefully on Monday. I have not quite processed that yet, because I'm not there so in my head he's still fine, just at my mum and stepdad's house. It'll probably sink in when I visit next weekend.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

« Reply #1111 on: 02 Oct 2014, 01:27 »

Aww sad, I'm sorry :( Yeah I know what that's like, I was in Glasgow when Sofus died and it didn't really sink in until I came home, months later. I hope your stepdad and mom are doing okay.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1112 on: 02 Oct 2014, 20:11 »

Thanks. Turns out it is just her liver, not because of feline leukemia or anything, so we've got meds for her and special food. Downside is we have to force feed her until she decides to eat on her own again. Which could be soon or it could take months... But eventually she will be ok.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1113 on: 02 Oct 2014, 20:25 »

Thanks. Turns out it is just her liver, not because of feline leukemia or anything, so we've got meds for her and special food. Downside is we have to force feed her until she decides to eat on her own again. Which could be soon or it could take months... But eventually she will be ok.

Yay healthy cat! Pet her for me then!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1114 on: 02 Oct 2014, 21:53 »

Force feeding a cat does *not* sound like the sort of activity that one should participate in if they want to keep their appendages intact.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1115 on: 03 Oct 2014, 01:50 »

I'd be happy to sacrifice at least a couple of appendages in exchange for keeping my kitty healthy.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1116 on: 03 Oct 2014, 06:13 »

Ditto. Also she's handling it surprisingly well. My husband holds her while I inject food in her mouth. I go slowly and give her time and if she squirms, we put her down. I get off early today, so I'll see how she does with just one person. Luckily she's small, so she easy to hold.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1117 on: 03 Oct 2014, 09:24 »

I've force-fed many a ferret, and they're much smaller. It is definitely not fun. Can you find something tasty to add to the food? Gravy maybe?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1118 on: 03 Oct 2014, 10:34 »

She seems to like it... She just doesn't want to eat. I don't know why. One of the meds she's getting is an antidepressant along with an appetite stimulant. Hopefully those help. We couldn't get them until today, so we'll see later.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1119 on: 03 Oct 2014, 11:01 »

Poor baby. Sometimes if you make it extra interesting or smelly (like if you warm it up beforehand), she will be more interested in taking it when you feed her. I've had plenty of ferrets that wouldn't eat on their own, but would happily take it from a syringe. Which is very much preferred over force-feeding! Then you can try switching to having a bowl on your lap, feeding a little with a syringe, then letting her eat out of the bowl.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1120 on: 04 Oct 2014, 21:27 »

Kitten playing with water!

http://instagram.com/p/twUJJDKoJf/

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1121 on: 05 Oct 2014, 09:54 »

It is an arf! A black and white arf!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1122 on: 05 Oct 2014, 12:07 »

This is Newt back to usual health and choosing to eat biscuits instead of meat.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1123 on: 05 Oct 2014, 13:26 »

Yay fit healthy kitty!

I'll post more about doggy when at a computer.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1124 on: 05 Oct 2014, 16:15 »

WELU YOUR DOG IS SO CUTE YAY :wow:

ALSO HELLO NEWT
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1125 on: 05 Oct 2014, 16:57 »

Kitteh. Doggeh. I wants to pets.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1126 on: 06 Oct 2014, 07:50 »

Partner and I got a doggy! We named her Pixie! She's sixteen months and so affectionate. She's never been in a house before (was in training to be a gun dog but she was "too soft" in owner's words) so she's very nervous but she's quickly getting used to the place. She's struggling with the wooden floors but loving the carpeted ones. Had a very smooth first night with her and even took her on the lead twice for short walks to get her used to the area. She's even getting along great with the guinea pigs, in that they've noticed each other but are ignoring each other.

I'm so happy. :)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1127 on: 06 Oct 2014, 08:08 »

YAY DOGGY!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1128 on: 06 Oct 2014, 08:11 »

YAY DOGGY! :wow:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1129 on: 06 Oct 2014, 08:48 »

Kitteh. Doggeh. I wants to pets.
Me too, but current living conditions aside, I don't do good with pets.  Even my last fish died within two weeks of some obscure fish disease.  One day he's swimming happily and making a bubble nest, next day he's a cotton ball with fins on, floating on the surface.  The closest thing to a "pet" that I've had actually last was an orchid that I rescued.

That said, I wants a kitteh.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1130 on: 06 Oct 2014, 10:20 »

Fish are mysterious, unfathomable creatures with no effective way of communicating their needs. Cats are a lot easier - they tell you, loudly, when something is up.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1131 on: 06 Oct 2014, 11:59 »

I made "duck soup" for my ferrets last night. Eleven cans of special cat food, eleven jars of all meat baby food, and a bunch of powdered whole eggs, shells and all. All of my furry children go nuts for this stuff. But the cats only get it as a rare treat - my two older boys are overweight, so they generally only get their dry food, plus some Greenies for teeth care. But I had to open eleven cans of cat food, so my cats went nuts. Percy would not shut up.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1132 on: 06 Oct 2014, 12:01 »

I've seen the movie (albeit a decade or so ago) but I don't get how that's "duck soup".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1133 on: 06 Oct 2014, 12:04 »

According to the internet, its name comes from the first ferret that was fed such a mixture, her name was Lucky Duck. There is no duck involved in any of the ferret duck soup recipes.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1134 on: 06 Oct 2014, 16:16 »

Cats are a lot easier - they tell you, loudly, when something is up.

I would say they're usually easier. Sometimes they are downright passive aggressive and don't tell you shit and it takes a couple weeks for you to notice that something is up. Also when they're really sick, they don't tell you, they just hide.

I'm kind of mad at my cat. We're pretty sure she just decided to stop eating because she didn't like some backup food that my bff gave her when we went out of town last month. Which is why she now has liver problems and we have to force feed her, which all parties involved hate.

However, our other cat is very keen on telling us whenever he wants something. Very loudly. He can and will find that spot where he can echo as loudly as he can.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1135 on: 06 Oct 2014, 17:48 »

Fish are mysterious, unfathomable creatures with no effective way of communicating their needs. Cats are a lot easier - they tell you, loudly, when something is up.
Except, of course, when they're dying and ACTUALLY NEED YOUR FUCKING HELP.

:(

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1136 on: 06 Oct 2014, 17:50 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1137 on: 06 Oct 2014, 17:55 »

Except, of course, when they're dying and ACTUALLY NEED YOUR FUCKING HELP.

Cats do seem to want to die alone.  I've known a few people who have had elderly cats up and vanish one day.  Sometimes they're found in the next couple days dead (apparently from natural causes) hidden in a shed, or in some obscure corner of the garden.  Sometimes they just are gone.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1138 on: 06 Oct 2014, 18:03 »

I know what fish need at all times....

Breading, lemon and a little tartar sauce.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1139 on: 06 Oct 2014, 18:06 »

but some do not.

(Edit: cats being alone, not fish and breading)

warning sad story:
(click to show/hide)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1140 on: 06 Oct 2014, 18:10 »

:'(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1141 on: 07 Oct 2014, 00:53 »

That is really sad, Kat.

But there are also happier occasions where cats do want the company of their humans (or at least some do). When my cat was pregnant a couple of years ago we built her kind of a nest to use as a place to give birth. It was placed in the hallway because there was no space elsewhere. One evening me and my roommate where watching a movie and the cat constantly came up to us, meowed and went away again. We ignored her because, well, we were watching a movie. When we were finished though we went into the hallway and the cat immediately bolted into the nest stayed there, looking at us expectingly. Figuring it might be time to have the babies we sat down in front of the box and kept her company. Not two hours later two of what would eventually be five newly born kittens were already there. Apparently she didn't want to start without ous.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1142 on: 07 Oct 2014, 05:17 »

My cat was wailing too when he died, but that was cause of a stroke he suffered. Died in my father's hands. But he was expecting it - he was avoiding us for weeks.

Metope

« Reply #1143 on: 07 Oct 2014, 05:44 »

My dad's cat died last year, he was 14 and his health had been in a rapid decline. One day he just disappeared, and they couldn't find him anywhere. The next day a neighbour told them a cat had been crying in his garage, so they went over and found him in the corner, dirty, cold and unable to move. They took him to the vet and had him put down immediately, it was obvious he'd gone to the garage to die. :(

My old cat Sofus was only 9 when he died early this year, I don't know much about how he was behaving before he died since I wasn't home, but his kidneys had stopped working and there was no way of him getting better, so my mom and brother went to the vet and had him put down too. I didn't know until a couple days later, mom knew I was worried about school stuff and didn't want me to be sad while I was so busy. I'm really sad I wasn't there when he died, but at the same time I'm not sure how I'd handle it, and it's good knowing my mom and brother were there for him.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1144 on: 07 Oct 2014, 09:40 »

Fish are mysterious, unfathomable creatures with no effective way of communicating their needs.

I'll say this much - A Chinese takeaway near me had a couple of goldfish in a nice tank on the counter. After I'd visited a few times, I could swear that the damn things started to recognise me.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #1145 on: 10 Oct 2014, 14:51 »

My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1146 on: 10 Oct 2014, 15:09 »

Aw! Such a cute doggy!

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #1147 on: 14 Oct 2014, 09:17 »

Frank has the rumbly tummies, and requires snugs to feel better.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1148 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:53 »

Do guinea pigs need their nails trimmed?

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #1149 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:54 »

Do guinea pigs need their nails trimmed?
Not generally, so long as they've got some hard surfaces in their enclosure to scratch/walk on.
Frank has the rumbly tummies, and requires snugs to feel better.

Aww.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30   Go Up