THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]   Go Down

Author Topic: We love our pets!  (Read 318077 times)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Re: We love our pets!
« Reply #1450 on: 10 Jan 2020, 03:06 »

Fingers, legs and teeth crossed here...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1451 on: 10 Jan 2020, 04:34 »

Thanks a lot <3

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1452 on: 14 Jan 2020, 07:43 »

Dog had her surgery yesterday. There were actually five lumps but the vet is pretty sure they're not cancerous. They're getting checked to be sure. It couldn't have gone better. There was a little issue with her taking to the anesthetic but that was expected.
She's home and recovering now. She's getting better really fast and vet is impressed with her progress. Gonna go back in ten days to get her stitches out.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1453 on: 14 Jan 2020, 16:38 »

Hooray!
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1454 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:32 »

SUPERB!!!!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1455 on: 13 Oct 2020, 12:41 »

Family dog had to be suddenly put down tonight. She was okay Saturday, then didn't eat from Sunday night. Brought her to the vet and turns out she had kidney cancer that had spread to her liver, nothing to be done about it. Mum and I are hurting.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #1456 on: 13 Oct 2020, 13:35 »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Welu :(
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1457 on: 17 Oct 2020, 17:19 »

I am so sorry, Welu. It is hard to lose a beloved family pet.  :-(
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1458 on: 17 Oct 2020, 17:54 »

Leo's pretty chill with the baby, put some times I feel he's at his wits end

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1459 on: 18 Oct 2020, 13:38 »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Welu :(

I am so sorry, Welu. It is hard to lose a beloved family pet.  :-(

Thanks <3

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1460 on: 20 Oct 2020, 12:39 »

Family dog had to be suddenly put down tonight. She was okay Saturday, then didn't eat from Sunday night. Brought her to the vet and turns out she had kidney cancer that had spread to her liver, nothing to be done about it. Mum and I are hurting.

I'm still only on the first relationship I have had with a dog. I don't know what this is like, and I am dreading it. Wish I could give you a hug, if you wanted one.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1461 on: 22 Oct 2020, 03:10 »

Thank you. This is the fourth pet/second dog I've lost but it's the first time we had to put them to sleep. My brothers and I were sending photos and memories back and forth the whole day after which helped a lot.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1462 on: 23 Oct 2020, 15:40 »

I remember when our cat died. Although a "second hand" cat, its death hurt.
Why second hand? Technically lived two houses over, original "owners" got a second, young dog. Cat disagreed, decided our household was a good replacement. Lived with us six or seven out of 16 or 17 years, still hurt as hell.
Cat of a Twitch streamer I used to watch died recently, and I was struck by onion ninjas. A pet I've never met IRL brought me to the verge of tears, and usually I'm not much of an emotional person.

Long story short: pets are a special kind of family, and the loss of a pet os always a trying time. Godspeed to all of them, and my condolences to those who have been graced by their presence.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1463 on: 23 Dec 2020, 12:57 »

I've bought a house across the street from my parents' house, but stayed living with them because the COVID restrictions are based on people being in the same household. They've been having their boiler replaced over the past few days and we've been living in my house during the day while the work is being done (we know the builders as friends, so there's no trust issues there).

Today, because the work was likely to be distressing to a nervous cat (not to mention dangerous for him and the builders) we brought him over to my house and kept him there, thinking that he'd be happier in a quiet house even if it smelled funny. After a bit of yowling, he settled down on my mother's lap and had a snooze, then sat in the staircase watching people, then had an explore, and climbed in the bathtub... and then he did the most offensive smelling poo I've ever come across. The whole house stank of it for about an hour, even after hosing it down the drain with the shower and opening all the windows.

Little darling.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1464 on: 23 Dec 2020, 15:46 »

Autumn's battle joined
Warmer days start shedding season
Roombas always lose.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2020, 17:23 by Morituri »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1465 on: 23 Dec 2020, 20:54 »

Today, because the work was likely to be distressing to a nervous cat (not to mention dangerous for him and the builders)

<snip>

Little darling.
At least it isn’t your shoes?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Morituri

« Reply #1466 on: 23 Dec 2020, 23:36 »

Actually I was thinking, if a litterbox isn't available, the bathtub is one of the LEAST obnoxious possible places for the kitty to take a dump.

Also?  When a kitty takes a dump that smells *REALLY* horrible, there's something wrong.  The cat may be ill.  If not, it may be terrified. Believe it or not, a terrified/stressed state is enough to cause cats to have unusually stinky poop.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1467 on: 24 Dec 2020, 01:29 »

He's got cancer, the poor thing, though it doesn't seem to be having any particularly bad effects as yet. He went to the vet only a couple of days ago and they said he seemed fine (aside from the tumour of course). He doesn't like change at the best of times, so people making loud noises and cutting holes in his house is probably not a fun time for him either. They should be finished today, thankfully, so hopefully things will be back to normal by the weekend.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1468 on: 27 Feb 2021, 18:56 »

They love us back. This dog saved its human's life.

https://abc7ny.com/dog-saves-owner-german-shepherd-stroke-good-news/10315368/

He could not get up after his stroke. The dog came over, he grabbed her collar, she dragged him to his phone.

How the bloody $#@! did she know to drag him to the phone?!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

« Reply #1469 on: 28 Feb 2021, 08:56 »

Dogs & cats are smarter than we usually give them credit for.  They watch us and learn, especially if we pay attention to them.  They learn patterns.  They learn what we do when our patterns break.  And often dogs understand the slightest twitches and reactions in our body language or on our faces when they mean we like or don't like what they're doing (cats too, although they don't usually care as much what we like or don't like).  The dog was smart, and the guy was lucky.  Good for them both!

I don't think they really get language - A lot of people are sure they understand every word, but science doesn't support that. I am sure though, that they learn to distinguish phrases that we use to mean different things.  The rhythm, the tone of voice, the sounds - your entire sentence is one word to a dog.  But the dog can learn a fair number of 'words' that are associated with some pretty sophisticated patterns of action.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1470 on: 28 Feb 2021, 14:23 »

Dogs can learn all sorts of shit.

My dog has told me when one of the cats is sick before.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #1471 on: 01 Mar 2021, 12:02 »

Yesterday we had to make the hard decision on putting our cat down. Our beloved Paris (almost 20 years old) had stopped eating, and the vet couldn't really see a way going forward.

We buried her in the backyard and the kids decorated her grave with stones they found.

Rest in peace Paris. Even though you were one grouchy cat, you were also the sweetest of them all.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1472 on: 01 Mar 2021, 13:37 »

I am so sorry for your loss. They are family, because family is defined by love and commitment.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1474 on: 03 Mar 2021, 21:42 »

I don't use flea collars anymore. Every six months, I get prescription drops from the vet. Also help against ticks.

A chlorine spike in the last water change just took out my aquarium. Turns out my test kit is expired. Wonderful way to wake up.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2021, 07:10 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1475 on: 06 May 2021, 09:09 »

My wife is softening her opposition to getting a dog, and neighbors are letting me borrow their black Lab for walks.

Cats like to sit in boxes whether they are real or not:
https://www.sciencealert.com/cats-don-t-just-like-to-sit-in-real-boxes-they-ll-choose-to-sit-in-illusions-of-boxes-too
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #1476 on: 20 May 2021, 23:16 »

Entirely off-topic, but it's been nagging me the last few times I'd visited this thread. Does anyone else see, at the top of this page of the thread, a user named Corvid. (19 posts.)
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1477 on: 21 May 2021, 11:03 »

Corvid-19?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1478 on: 24 May 2021, 11:52 »

Must be some sort of avian thing.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1479 on: 28 May 2021, 07:12 »

I have lived in a house with a pet snake for years now, but had not actually had a proper interaction with him until last weekend.

I had, however, bumped into him - twice - when he has got out. I've actually held numerous snakes before (budum tish) so it's not fear that is the issue, but the circumstances in which I just stumbled upon him like that were far from ideal, and I was a bit anxious about him in particular - then between those two occasions he bit one of my housemates, the first time he has bitten anyone in well over a decade. He's a wee tree snake, so he's not doing any damage, but I mainly don't want to upset him, or worse, if he bites me and I physically (over)react rather than consciously, I could hurt him.

But his little house was being cleaned out this weekend so I got to go hang out with him. He is a dear sweet boy with a lovely face, and it was a special moment I got to have with him. Holding a snake is actually quite a lot like having a massage to me.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1480 on: 28 May 2021, 07:40 »

Oh, it is.  I remember having a Mexican boa across my shoulders once, and my tension just melted away.

Morituri

« Reply #1481 on: 01 Jun 2021, 21:34 »

We have had two cats for a long time now; they're fifteen this year.  Their names are Austen and Clemens.  Austen is a smallish female gray tabby, agile and skittish. Clemens is a largish, long-haired orange tabby with most of his tail missing, mellow and lazy.  They were born in the same litter, but they don't look much alike; we suspect that genetically they are probably half-siblings.   We got them at the local shelter.  We adore the little fuzzies, even though Austen has a bad habit of leaping up on things and knocking things down. 

But yesterday morning, something odd happened.  I fed the cats, upstairs, and left both happily munching their breakfast, then came downstairs to the kitchen to get my own breakfast.  And after only a few seconds, I felt cat fur on my ankles and I looked down and there was Austen.  She maiowed at me and rubbed my ankle and begged for treats, as is her habit.  I gave her one or two bits of cheese, as is mine.  She ate them off the floor appreciatively as I wondered why she'd left her breakfast upstairs, or how she'd got downstairs so quick.  I didn't think much more about it at the time.

In the afternoon, I saw Austen stretched out in one of her favorite spots in a sunbeam in the living room.  Then I went upstairs and saw Austen and Clemens curled up and snoozing in another of their favorite spots on the corner of our bed.  I was surprised, but ... I had paused to look into my wife's office so she could have got past me, and I know that she can and does fall asleep in ten seconds flat, regularly.  So.... Hm.  Never mind, I guess.

In the evening, at the time when we generally shut the cats inside, I was downstairs again and I called up to my dear wife, who told me both cats were upstairs so it was okay to latch the cat door.  Which I did, but then about twenty minutes later, I heard a cat maiowing to be let in and pushing at the cat door, and I looked outside and it was Austen.  I figured she'd probably leapt from the balcony again. That was one of her special tricks when she had really important cat business outside and we weren't doing door service up to her standards.  But she hadn't done that for years.  Anyway, I let her in and didn't think much more about it at the time. 

But this morning when I called our two cats to breakfast, all three of them came.  So.... the penny finally dropped.  Our little dupli-cat has a collar just like Austen's, but the tag hanging from it declares that her name is Alice.  The tag is otherwise completely unhelpful.  No phone number, no address, no additional bling for licenses and shots and etc.  Just the name.  We went to see if she has a chip implanted so as to track down her people that way, but she does not.  The vet we took her to says that she is healthy if a little malnourished, spayed, and probably eight years old.  She seems to be on friendly, familiar terms with both our cats, so I suppose she's been around here somewhere for a while.   None of our neighbors has had a little gray cat, much less one that went missing.  Nobody has put a notice at the shelter to watch for her. 

So it seems that the world has abandoned her, and she's responded by adopting us.  And we completed the ritual. We fed her.  Admittedly a case of mistaken identity, but all the same, we fed her.  Rules are rules.  I have no idea how long she lived with us before we noticed her.  And I can't even tell the difference between them just by looking.  I have to get a hand on them to know.  It's hard to explain but Alice and Austen *feel* just a little bit different.

So, we will be checking with shelters and places for a little while, but if her people don't somehow make themselves known, I think we now have three cats.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2021, 22:07 by Morituri »

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1482 on: 01 Jun 2021, 22:20 »

"Staff" doesn't "Adopt".  Staff are hired.  Your feline overlords should have made this clear by now.  :)
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #1483 on: 02 Jun 2021, 19:05 »

Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1484 on: 03 Jun 2021, 00:48 »

Mori, not only is that a lovely story, but also your dupli-cat pun puts the pun thread to utter shame.

Morituri

« Reply #1485 on: 03 Jun 2021, 10:50 »

I'm glad you liked it, but that pun was originally my wife's.  In that moment of disbelief, before she had actually seen Alice and Austen side by side and thought I was hallucinating or making things up, she said, "you're saying we've got a dupli-cat?"  I was barely awake myself and I think I had said something incoherent about Austen coming to breakfast twice at the same time.

We've never actually had a cat just move into our house before.  I've heard of it, I know it's not all that uncommon.  But this is the first time for us, and the fact that she looks exactly like one of the cats we already have made it just a little more confusing and surreal than I think it must usually be.

Alice's coat has more and stiffer guard hairs than Austen's.  That was the first thing I noticed, by touch.  And now that I know where to look, a couple of her stripes are in different places.  But the resemblance is really uncanny.  I don't know if it's just because she's still insecure or something, but she also seems to be a lot more of a lap cat than Austen, and wants attention.

Grognard

« Reply #1486 on: 05 Jun 2021, 13:40 »

I just spent a while brushing out my Calico.  She is Callie. (brilliant and imaginative naming, I know)
I swear, I've just removed a fat kitten's worth of fluff from her.
But then, Callie walks thru the sunlight, and I can see more drifting fur behind her.

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1487 on: 05 Jun 2021, 17:45 »

And calicos have a color fur to show up on any background as well. Our new cat is a calico, just turned 1 year, and hasn't really started shedding much, but it's getting warm, so it probably won't be long for that first full exchange of coat.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1488 on: 05 Jun 2021, 21:49 »

Our late cat had a very convenient feature. She actively enjoyed being gone over with a lint roller. We caught useful amounts of her fur that way.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Grognard

« Reply #1489 on: 06 Jun 2021, 19:29 »

My two have an interesting quirk. 
The calico loves to lay on dark furniture, and the black cat likes laying on light colored furniture. 
I ought to buy stock in the lint roller company.

Morituri

« Reply #1490 on: 21 Aug 2021, 12:56 »

Early morning.
Still dark here.
Gotta get up for video meeting with East Coast people.
Don't want to wake my wife so I get up and get dressed in complete darkness.
Leaving the bedroom, still in the dark.
Someone I had no idea was there touches my face.

Brain goes AAAAAAA!!  I stumble backward crashing into the bedroom door. 

Wife wakes up, says, 'are you all right? what happened?', and turns on light.
Small fuzzy face gazes serenely at me from the top of the bookshelf next to the door.  Where I passed within reach of her paw.
"Who, me?  I have no idea why you stumbled backward.  You two-legs are just clumsy is all....."

And yet, as the sun rose, I fed them anyway.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1491 on: 31 Oct 2021, 23:36 »

Not sure if this'll post from Faceberg?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1492 on: 16 Feb 2022, 04:05 »