THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot  (Read 19188 times)

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot
« on: 23 Nov 2010, 05:24 »

Quote from: Press Release
   LOS ANGELES, NOVEMBER 11, 2010 – Atlas Entertainment announced today it is rebooting the beloved franchise, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with Warner Bros. Pictures. Atlas' Charles Roven and Steve Alexander will produce the feature film alongside Doug Davison and Roy Lee of Vertigo Entertainment (The Ring, How to Train Your Dragon, The Departed). Whit Anderson is writing the script.

Warner Bros. Pictures optioned the rights from creators Fran and Kaz Kuzui, and from Sandollar Productions (Sandy Gallin and Dolly Parton), for Atlas and Vertigo to produce. Buffy the Vampire Slayer first appeared as a film in 1992, subsequently becoming a cult hit and spawning the wildly popular television series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz, among many others.

"Whit approached us with an exciting idea about how to update Buffy," said Roven. "There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character's return to the big screen. We're thrilled to team up with Doug and Roy on a re-imagining of Buffy and the world she inhabits. Details of the film are being kept under wraps, but I can say while this is not your high school Buffy, she'll be just as witty, tough, and sexy as we all remember her to be."

Quote from: Joss Whedon's reaction
"This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.

Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this. My first reaction upon hearing who was writing it was, "Whit Stillman AND Wes Anderson? This is gonna be the most sardonically adorable movie EVER." Apparently I was misinformed. Then I thought, "I'll make a mint! This is worth more than all my Toy Story residuals combined!" Apparently I am seldom informed of anything. And possibly a little slow. But seriously, are vampires even popular any more?

I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you."

I can't even be cautiously optimistic about this.  It will probably result in nothing but me hugging and consoling my inner child.  But there is still no way I will not see it in theaters.  Which I guess means that what the producers intended to do with a Buffy reboot worked?
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2010, 05:40 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:13 »

I'm not sure I could be arsed to watch a new Buffy movie done by Joss, I sure as heck ain't bothering with one not.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

rae

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:17 »

Oh dear.

I really really want this to be good. I have a feeling it won't be.
Mook.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2010, 22:15 »

no.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2010, 23:20 »

STAKE THE LOT OF 'EM!!!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2010, 07:26 »

You know, I thought I had a few more years before people started talking about doing "updated reboots" of shows that premiered when I was a teenager.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2010, 08:54 »

Is this really necessary? No. Also it's dumb to not have Whedon on board. I'm not seeing it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ptommydski

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:24 »

So are people mad about this because it might suck?

If so, I have an observation.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:37 »

I'm not mad because it might suck. I don't care about that. I just feel irritated that this lady is taking someone else's idea while he's still alive. Like, the original film was ok, but the series had a big cult following and this was Whedon's brain child. I don't know. If it were my thing, I'd be kind of offended to not even be approached.

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:39 »

I don't know if you could say Buffy has a cult following when it was such a massive financial and pop culture hit even when it was on air.

The original film has what is pretty much the definition of a cult following though.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:44 »

Well, now it's more of a cult following due to the wonderful invention of the DVD and Netflix. But yeah, I see what you mean. I was one of those people that lost interest after Angel left (he was so dreamy!) but most of my friends own at least one season of that show. It's crazy.

Ptommydski

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2010, 12:46 »

The TV series Flubby the Blahblahblah was already the most rancid piece of shit imaginable.

I don't see they could make it worse, short of relocating it to the killing fields of Phnom Penh.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2010, 13:32 »

I'm not mad because it might suck. I don't care about that. I just feel irritated that this lady is taking someone else's idea while he's still alive. Like, the original film was ok, but the series had a big cult following and this was Whedon's brain child. I don't know. If it were my thing, I'd be kind of offended to not even be approached.

i own all 7 and they're all amazing and no i'm not crazy

and actually 6-8 months ago my friends trent, stephen, erik, and i watched the entire series together over the course of a month and a half and we still quote it fairly regularly to this day

hmm

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2010, 10:56 »

The TV series Flubby the Blahblahblah was already the most rancid piece of shit imaginable.

I don't see they could make it worse, short of relocating it to the killing fields of Phnom Penh.

you're out of your mind.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:26 »

No, he's actually fairly spot-on. I think the thing with Joss Whedon is geeks have this sort of mental problem where they conflate 'making references to Star Trek, Star Wars and D&D' and 'good writing'. They're actually very distinct concepts.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2010, 07:21 »

They referred to themselves as the Scooby gang. Repeatedly.  :|
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2010, 07:35 »

Yeah, Firefly was one of his best things, but sadly it only had one season. Dr. Horrible was also pretty awesome, though, too.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2010, 07:53 »

The problem with Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the premise is one of those insta-cult high-concept B-movie plots that is in extreme danger of stretching thin over 90 minutes unless handled carefully, let alone like eight American-length TV seasons.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:47 »

Hence why it quickly turns into a self-referencing clusterfuck. By the time the show started to hit anything resembling a stride it had already rode its concept into the ground and degenerated into a bunch of kids being kinda blasé about the apocalypse.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

rae

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2010, 12:48 »

Was he supposed to be writing a script for Doctor Who (or even Torchwood?) Or did I just imagine that?

Either way I enjoyed the series very much. Series 7 could have been better than it was though.
Mook.

Graphite

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • the final frontier?!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:03 »

He was also one of the writers on Toy Story.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:17 »

His brother Zack is a pretty crackerjack journeyman TV writer. Graduated from Wesleyan though, so that's a downer.

Whedon identifies himself as a feminist, and feminist themes are common in his work.

It's not quite as bothersome as people seriously claiming that Quentin Tarantino is a feminist.

Also I think it was Johnny who pointed out the Confederate sympathy that flits through Firefly?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:18 »

lolwut?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:22 »

He also wrote Alien: Resurrection.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:27 »

not really, he wrote the first draft and other hacks (and the studio) took it from there and warped it.

his original's on imsdb though and it's damn good

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:48 »

not really, he wrote the first draft and other hacks (and the studio) took it from there and warped it.
That's not really how he sees it. They changed the ending but everything else is the same, just done all wrong.

Quote from: Joss Whedon
It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:52 »

well, either way, there will always be whedon fanboys (me) and whedon haters (all you cunts)

oh well!

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2010, 19:32 »

Scarred let's go watch early episodes of Buffy together and giggle every time Nicholas Brendon does something adorable

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2010, 19:39 »

so basically the entire episode then?

oh my god the zeppo was my favorite for so long

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #29 on: 01 Dec 2010, 05:36 »

Buffy is so, so good.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #30 on: 01 Dec 2010, 10:08 »

For fuck's sake.

I read the Buffy the Vampire 'book', that came out when the original movie did.  It was okay - but nothing to write home about.  The movie?  Crap.  Utter crap.

The TV series stoked my interest somewhat, and toward the end, it got pretty good.  Some of the early episodes were damn near unwatchable.

So, now someone wants to REBOOT Buffy the original movie?  It isn't like it could be much worse than the first movie.  As for whether or not Whedon is involved, I just don't care.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ackblom12

« Reply #31 on: 01 Dec 2010, 10:16 »

I cannot say a single bad thing about the original Buffy Movie. It is terrible in all the right ways for me to love it. I mean, in what other movie can you claim to have seen a one armed Pee-Wee Herman as a bloodthirsty and goofy fuckin vampire.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #32 on: 01 Dec 2010, 10:40 »

Also I think it was Johnny who pointed out the Confederate sympathy that flits through Firefly?

Not really. There are some parallels, sure. Someone is on the losing side of a war, then goes to the frontier and tries to avoid the control of the winning side. The difference is that in Firefly the losing side wasn't in favor of slave labor. Also, I remember reading that Whedon disagrees with most of the things he had Mal say.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

ackblom12

« Reply #33 on: 01 Dec 2010, 10:47 »

Man, the Browncoats were so incredibly obvious as this show's Confederates. Leaving out the slave labor issue simply left all of the other much more legitimate arguments the North and the South had in the show. It was one of the first things I noticed when I first started watching.

Noff

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #34 on: 03 Dec 2010, 18:17 »

Firefly is first and foremost a space western, so it needs an analogous war to the Civil War to provide a reason for people from the losing side to be where they are, at the edge of civilization.  That doesn't mean Joss has "confederate sympathy."

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #35 on: 04 Dec 2010, 07:46 »

What I never got with Firefly is how the future is so dang multicultural they even swear in Mandarin guys how cool is that yet almost the entire cast is white with like one standard and fairly stereotyped token black character.

Well, I mean, I got it, just, you know. It's not even something that Firefly can be particularly singled out for, but the Mandarin thing highlights it ridiculously.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #36 on: 04 Dec 2010, 10:57 »

Wait, what? I count two black people and one South American.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #37 on: 04 Dec 2010, 11:18 »

Yeah. Zoe and Book are black and I believe Inara is Brazilian. There is more variety when they actually get to some of the more populated planets.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #38 on: 04 Dec 2010, 15:29 »

I forgot about one of the people because It's been a while since I saw it.

Black people aren't chinese though. Well I mean, I suppose they can be. I ain't gonna tell people what they can and can't be, but you know very well what I mean.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #39 on: 04 Dec 2010, 16:30 »

What I never got with Firefly was how it was a just pretty enjoyable TV show instead of being the second coming of TV Jesus like everyone told me it was.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #40 on: 05 Dec 2010, 01:57 »

While swearing in Mandarin was quite cute - I didn't much buy it, somehow I dont really see the future of swearing getting anything other than what we would consider totally gross, as everything we use today gets watered down, yet one of the curses they use most oftern from memory was "zaogao" - which roughly has a similar level of serverity to "Oh No!" and litterally translates to "Bad Egg" or "Bad Cake".

I mean chinese is a pretty damn cool language and it just seems unlikely that in some future world where the two major languages basically grew so big they crashed into eachother and became one, that all we would keep from it is their swearwords. off the top of my head I would expect us to more likely take their pronouns cos they're simple and effective. one word for first person, one for second, one for third and a suffix to make them plural. (I understand that this would have made pretty awful tv for an english speaking audience)
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

edwinalink

• Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #41 on: 05 Dec 2010, 02:23 »

I liked Angel more, Angel was just a Pulpy show where Brooding badasses killed shit with swords. And it was mostly funny.

I know its the spin off. but most of its seasons were a fun time. and the Preaching never got so bad that I had to turn it off.

But why is it Joss gets all the Cred/Blame for these shows?

a LOT of the "Buffyverse" is Jane Espensons creation. yet she's so often glossed over.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 05 Dec 2010, 11:15 »

Man, that's an awful lot of credit to give to someone who didn't even join the writing staff until the third season and hardly worked on Angel at all. The Buffyverse was a group effort, yeah, but David Greenwalt, Marti Noxon, and David Fury had more impact than Espenson, I think.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #43 on: 05 Dec 2010, 11:18 »

I mean chinese is a pretty damn cool language and it just seems unlikely that in some future world where the two major languages basically grew so big they crashed into eachother and became one, that all we would keep from it is their swearwords. off the top of my head I would expect us to more likely take their pronouns cos they're simple and effective. one word for first person, one for second, one for third and a suffix to make them plural. (I understand that this would have made pretty awful tv for an english speaking audience)

It probably would have been more accurate to have people speaking something like singlish, but since singlish sounds to western ears a lot like a bad racist parody of Chinese people talking it may not have played well.

With the swear word things, I've noticed that there's a tendency of some people, particularly in Europe, to actually swear in english, particularly the word 'fuck'.

edwinalink

• Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #44 on: 05 Dec 2010, 13:44 »

Man, that's an awful lot of credit to give to someone who didn't even join the writing staff until the third season and hardly worked on Angel at all. The Buffyverse was a group effort, yeah, but David Greenwalt, Marti Noxon, and David Fury had more impact than Espenson, I think.

I still think she's one of the most influential writers in the series. Okay maybe greenwalt did more in terms of QUANTITY of writing, but every show jane wrote on, I tend to like more.

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #45 on: 06 Dec 2010, 10:35 »

I'm pretty sure the swearword thing was just a relatively easy way of showing everyone was bilingual without having to subtitle too much. Wash says full sentance in Chinese in the first episode and I think there's an episode that implies that Simon and River spoke Manderin at home. (I had a roommate who would rewatch the show about once every 3 months for a while so I've seen it/heard it in the background way too many times now).
This signature is intentionally left blank.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #46 on: 07 Dec 2010, 10:19 »

I'm kind of appalled I know what you just did.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #47 on: 07 Dec 2010, 12:11 »

not me, i just think buffy is a neat show with some clever ideas and a dedication to its characters (true of angel & firefly also)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #48 on: 07 Dec 2010, 12:12 »

i also used to confuse firefly with farscape

Johnny C