THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V  (Read 143303 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: Elder Scrolls V
« Reply #200 on: 13 Jun 2011, 12:48 »

Hmmm 16 square miles of travelable regions? Sold.
Adaptive world based on your characters actions and play style? Sold.
An explorable world featuring my favourite Elder Scrolls race as the main people? Sold.
Dual Wielding swords....I might be foaming at the mouth at this stage, someone please hand me a tissue.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #201 on: 13 Jun 2011, 14:31 »

Well, to be fair, Fallout 3, NV, and Oblivion all had 16 square miles, too.  And they all hyped up their world adapting to your character's actions, and even had it implemented to some extent.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #203 on: 19 Jun 2011, 16:36 »

There's often a delay in Oz releases. The other possibility is that the retailer is talking out its ass, or covering said in case they take more preorders than they can fill
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #204 on: 19 Jun 2011, 17:40 »

Maybe, they also have the pc version as 11/11 and the ps3 version as 26/11. It's the same on their NZ and UK sites but I can't find this anywhere else. Stupid xbite.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #205 on: 26 Jun 2011, 17:00 »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #206 on: 26 Jun 2011, 18:04 »

Why, alduin, why?

Yep, a countdown is going to drive me crazy. Damnit, I want my Nord Warrior crushing his enemies, seeing them flee before him and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #207 on: 27 Jun 2011, 17:39 »

So I'm starting up Obliv with the hope of playing more than 10minutes this time. I need a level scaling mod other than OOO becuase the world levelling with you is all kinds of dumb and I don't want to use any major overhauls until after I've finished the vanilla with sprinkles version. On second thought, that mod doesn't look anywhere as near as much of a problem, so I'll probably go with that.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2011, 18:09 by Tom »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #208 on: 27 Jun 2011, 17:56 »

You do that. I'm going to reinstall Morrowind tomorrow and destroy Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal. And then hopefully I'll be able to play with some werewolves.

ackblom12

« Reply #209 on: 27 Jun 2011, 18:06 »

So I'm starting up Obliv with the hope of playing more than 10minutes this time. I need a level scaling mod other than OOO becuase the world levelling with you is all kinds of dumb and I don't want to use any major overhauls until after I've finished the vanilla with sprinkles version.

Seriously, the vanilla with sprinkles version is not worth the effort. Save yourself the frustration and go with the good mods. Most of the good ones don't unbalance anything any more than the vanilla version.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #210 on: 28 Jun 2011, 07:01 »

As far as I remember, OOO is really well balanced. I think Bethesda hired the buy who made it.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #211 on: 28 Jun 2011, 07:05 »

yeah, OOO is a good fix for the most common complaint.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #212 on: 28 Jun 2011, 16:26 »

Is there anything else that is basically require to significantly improve playthrough quality? I've still never gone farther than closing the first gate with one character.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

ackblom12

« Reply #213 on: 28 Jun 2011, 20:26 »

Uhhh, there were lots of little mods I used to use but I can't remember if OOO covers most of them or not. I remember using one that made plants that you harvest ingredients from change so that you didn't keep seeing the same motherfucking plant which didn't have any fucking ingredients that a goddamn motherfucking 2bit back alley game designer could have done in the vanilla fucking game aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #214 on: 28 Jun 2011, 20:42 »

It's truly amazing how much dumb stuff ends up in hugely popular AAA titles. I've been playing GTA IV on and off because it's design flaws are exhausting (here's a freaking huge map and here's your spawn point all the way over here).

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #215 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:51 »

I would recommend installing a super-mod called FCOM Convergence, which includes:  Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Martigen's Monster Mod, Oblivion WarCry, and Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items.

at least, if you think it's worth the hassle.  

http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/index.php/FCOM

The Unique Landscapes mods are pretty cool, too

http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/index.php/Unique_Landscapes
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2011, 17:26 by Damnable Fiend »
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #216 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:25 »

Uhhh, there were lots of little mods I used to use but I can't remember if OOO covers most of them or not. I remember using one that made plants that you harvest ingredients from change so that you didn't keep seeing the same motherfucking plant which didn't have any fucking ingredients that a goddamn motherfucking 2bit back alley game designer could have done in the vanilla fucking game aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
you're thinking of Harvest Flora and Harvest Containers, which are part of OOO but might be in the optional section and will probably need updating

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #217 on: 02 Jul 2011, 05:56 »

So I just did a few dungeons and got tangled up with a couple guilds, I think I get this game now :D

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #218 on: 02 Jul 2011, 09:59 »

I would recommend installing a super-mod called FCOM Convergence, which includes:  Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Martigen's Monster Mod, Oblivion WarCry, and Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items.

at least, if you think it's worth the hassle.  

http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/index.php/FCOM

Was a bitch to make this work, but I think I did it. I crashed instantly upon leaving the starting sewers, turned out that having Living Economy in both OOO and as a stand-alone install (that's included with Fransesco's, I think), kills everything. Really bothering me that the install page hasn't been properly updated for newer versions of the parts, so I had to do some figuring out. There's some better help on a forum, if someone wants to, I can try to find the link again.

I think I'll have to redo some settings - for someone who's held anything close to a realistic replica of real swords, the reduced swing time just seems ridiculous. Of course, the game claims that the claymores weigh 50 fucking  pounds (check wikipedia for longsword - a heavy one is up to 4,5 pounds - 2 kg), but whenever I see someone swinging a sword and using two full seconds moving it from one side of their body to the other, I just want to run up and stab them a million times in the face before they are ready for another swing.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #219 on: 02 Jul 2011, 11:27 »

I wouldn't mind having a nice and convenient link to a better thread explaining how to do that without breaking anything, no sir.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #220 on: 02 Jul 2011, 14:10 »

Also looks like I fucked something up, cause it crashes a lot. I'll mess around a bit more with the load order.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/924363-the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/48544847 is the site I used.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #221 on: 19 Jul 2011, 02:49 »

Look, I think Oblivion is a solid game. I really dig the whole do what you want character creation, it's fantastic that I can have mage-race (Breton) character and train in stealth and augment my physical abilities with a wide assortment of spells from several schools. I'm also one of those gamers who never has an unread codex entry so all the books scattered throughout the provinces of Cyrodiil have been like manna from heaven. The Lore is fascinating and rich in contradictions so trying to sort reality, perceived reality and fiction is an enjoyable sport.

Unfortunately, this game can be a little problematic if not out right lazy. I'm fine now with the whole "you gotta go here at some point but feel free to do whatever" but when you have huge game world filled with 1-D NPC's and repeating dungeons with maybe a small note but near generic indiscernible character I get left feeling rudderless. I have virtually no incentive to explore the random dungeons and caves unless I have a (quest related) reason to go near them.

And another thing, the VA is the most distracting piece of shit I've ever encountered in a current gen, AAA Western RPG. There are all but 5 actors by my reckoning all with very obvious accents and affectations for their character types. It gets bizarre when a random guard starts talking to me with the voice of a major NPC. It gets even weirder when I'm talking to someone and their voice just outright changes in conversation seemingly at random, like all the beggars who it seems are maybe just down on their luck nobles who adopt an irritating voice to get money but forget that's what they're meant to be doing.

I get that a lot of these things have been tweaked and fixed for Skyrim, which is still looking like a zero-day/pre-order purchase for me, but Oblivion even with mods seems hugely sub-par for such a well respected company.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #222 on: 20 Jul 2011, 03:07 »

Yeah, Bethesda have this knack for building really great worlds and giving you lots of little things to tinker with but then pretty much calling that a day.

except the dungeons kinda blew. Cut and paste stuff. They say they've hired a dungeons team for V though.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #223 on: 20 Jul 2011, 13:21 »

I bought Oblivion when it first came out and the laptop I had at the time couldn't handle it so I gave up and went back to WoW.  I just bought a new laptop after my PC died and decided to give Oblivion another shot.  I feel like I am going to repeat this same storyline come November, sans the WoW relapse.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #224 on: 20 Jul 2011, 13:52 »

Oblivion had all of one person creating the dungeons. I would cut and paste a bit if I had that job too.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #225 on: 20 Jul 2011, 21:09 »

That doesn't make it any less shit.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #226 on: 20 Jul 2011, 21:22 »

So I found a town called Hackdirt and the associated quest was called "Shadow over Hackdirt." This is probably one of the most disposable, totally half-assed Lovecraft references I've ever seen. The full extent of it's crazy were thuggish nord troglodytes and their "Old Ones" were just Daedra/Deadric Princes.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #227 on: 20 Jul 2011, 22:47 »

Can't expect every quest to be a winner.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #228 on: 20 Jul 2011, 23:38 »

That doesn't make it any less shit.
Well no of course not.

Mein Tumblr

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #229 on: 21 Jul 2011, 01:15 »

Dual Wielding swords....I might be foaming at the mouth at this stage, someone please hand me a tissue.
This will be a feature that I will flat out refuse to use.  Dual-wielding just turns games into easymode.  What I WOULD like to see is a balanced use of two-handed weapons so that people will quit automatically overlooking them as "big slow low dmg weapons" and going for the shiny fast pewpewlazorz dual-wield.  I mean, two-handed weapons in Oblivion were a joke.

That and attacks that hit multiple targets, like Zeal from Diablo 2 or Cleave from WoW or Whirlwhind (from both games).

And on the subject of weapons, can we get some awesome badass axes and maces/hammers while we're at it?  Oblivion (and Morrowind to a lesser extent) was sorely lacking in them.

Oh yeah, some of us want spears and crossbows back, too.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #230 on: 21 Jul 2011, 02:04 »

Can't expect every quest to be a winner.

But I'm sure as hell going to hold these guys to higher standard.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #231 on: 21 Jul 2011, 05:08 »

About the weapons, I think Bethesda is selling themselves a bit short when they cut weapon types. The arguments they have are solid - they weren't different enough to warrant an own class, but instead of seeing that as a reason to cut them, they should see that as a reason to change the weapon classes. Make spears have a really long reach, high damage, but relatively low attack speed. Do similar things with thrown, axes, and so on.

And dual wield is stupid. Don't listen to Drizzt.

ackblom12

« Reply #232 on: 21 Jul 2011, 05:13 »

Eh, dual wielding melee weapons actually makes sense historically and as a very effective martial art skill. It's not like it's dual wielding guns where in actuality it makes shit goddamn stupid (most things) or fantastically over the top (Max Payne).

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #233 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:38 »

Yeah I'm good with dual-wielding. I do hope they bring back things like spears/halberds and the other projectile weapons like throwing knives and shurikens and darts and stuff. That would be cool as shit.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #234 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:48 »

I'm pretty sure none of that's in game, at this time. Who knows, perhaps they might include it with a patch or DLC.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #235 on: 24 Jul 2011, 04:33 »

Bombs like in The Witcher would be pretty great. There will be AOE spells, of course, but they're strictly magical and not the kind of thing Sven Dragonpuncher would use.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #236 on: 24 Jul 2011, 04:45 »

Eh, dual wielding melee weapons actually makes sense historically and as a very effective martial art skill. It's not like it's dual wielding guns where in actuality it makes shit goddamn stupid (most things) or fantastically over the top (Max Payne).

As far as I know, the only place two weapons has been used historically has been in dueling situations - rapier/dagger combos or such. I could be wrong, though. As long as they don't have two swords give twice the damage output as one, I'm all for kinda silly combos.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #237 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:06 »

Depends whether they consider being able to use spells with one hand balance enough

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #238 on: 12 Aug 2011, 16:30 »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #239 on: 12 Aug 2011, 21:19 »

Destructoid you are now my favorite.

Mein Tumblr

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #240 on: 09 Nov 2011, 20:57 »

So two days.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #241 on: 09 Nov 2011, 22:40 »

Less than 7 hours for the Australians.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #242 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:14 »

20 hours and 47 minutes

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #243 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:18 »

Less than 7 hours for the Australians.
yeah but everybody broke on the date anyway

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #244 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:28 »

Special edition unboxing, and some more stuff afterwards.  i haven't yet watched the whole vid, so maybe potentially spoilery towards the end bits, but i doubt it (really, tho how much could really be spoiled?  i mean, these games' plots aren't really what everyone's playing for).  view of your own accord.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #245 on: 12 Nov 2011, 13:24 »

I sunk around 3 hours into this last night. It was aweeeeeeesome. I can't wait until my exams are over so I can really get to grips with everything.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #246 on: 12 Nov 2011, 15:05 »

yup killing dragons in a fantasy game, why hasnt anyone really done this?! :roll:  Skyrim did a great job.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #247 on: 12 Nov 2011, 15:07 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #248 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:16 »

I've had some random... it's not exactly crashes, the game just closes. I'm not sure if I'm mistakenly pressing f4 while sprinting, or if it's something else, still weird.

I need to get down my thoughts about the game. What do you guys like and dislike?

So far I'm having a lot of fun. The big gameplay changes from Oblivion - removal of attributes, new UI, perks, new spell system, are all excellent. The random quests you can ask for all takes you to new places and lets you see cool stuff - unlike Oblivion, where the random sidequests were basically "enter another gate and close it". The crafting influences from the Fallouts work out pretty well - smithing, potions and enchantments are meaningful, and it's cool to run around in gear you made and improved. I miss some of the cooking stuff from the Fallouts, though - compared to potions, there's no real reason to ever drag around food that I've found. There's definitely going to be a mod for that, though.

The game looks really good, too. I've on some occasions walked into places and stopped to go "this place looks good". The... epic or enchanted or whatever reality Beth has gone for is really shining through. Yesterday I found a ruin inside a cave on a ledge above a waterfall. The sun was shining though the top of this cave, and trees were growing on the little spot in the bottom of the cave where enough light got through. You'll see this place during the main quest - it looks Amazing.

But while looking good in the strict pretty sense, the game also brings back some of the things about exploring that I missed from Morrowind. Places look... different, and outright alien at times. While not as profoundly alien as the daedric ruins or ashlander camps from TES3, the ice caves and dwemer underground complexes are still weird enough to be interesting - unlike the elf ruins from Oblivion.

The dragons and giants and mammoths also gives a really different feel to the game. These creatures are immense, and immensely dangerous. They really define the landscape around them, and fit in really well with the big landscapes of the world. All just blends to create a visually satisfying experience that it's fun to play in.

Man, this game is good. There's details that bother me - suicidal horses, how you put your equipped pickaxe in the belt and magically spawn another one while mining, a bit stupid AI at times (bow in hand to hand combat? Wielding a hunting bow with an elven one sitting on the table in front of you?), some confusing quests (which of these women you are talking about were your dead daughter, your dead wife, your new wife, that other woman who might be a vampire?), and the guards simply not getting that they will probably get shouted at if they get in between me and a dragon. And so on. But these are minor inconveniences, the only major one is the one I think I mentioned earlier about quest items weighing stuff stuck in the inventory. Still a must-buy.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #249 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:53 »

The UI is literally the worst UI I have ever used. If it weren't so bloody overdesigned I'd call it broken, but I have to assume it was designed that way. Oblivion had a lovely interface (after you modded the font size down) that let you sort everything in five or so different ways, so you could see immediately what was weighing you down and whether it was worth carrying around. Something that simple takes considerably longer because only one item can ever be displayed at once. Also, you can't just click on something and jump to it, everything has to be slowly scrolled through.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up