THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V  (Read 143394 times)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
Re: Elder Scrolls V
« Reply #250 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:53 »

I've played out the mainquest :) pretty awesome!

I agree with what is said by snalin, the game looks awesome :) I don't like the inventory where sometimes you need to scroll through to equip a sword instead of a bow when fighting. I want to be able to do that with a button-push :P

Horses are stupid. And not needed. Just fast-travel and run/walk it yourself. Also... Falling is stupid. I went down from that top hill where you learn shouts all the way to the ground climbing rocks... thats ridiculous :P

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #251 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:17 »

Also, you can't just click on something and jump to it, everything has to be slowly scrolled through.

I can click on things without scrolling after I downloaded the day one update.

I really like the way the UI and map look, which I've seen a lot of people complain about on the internet, but it doesn't always work in the best way.  Pretty easy to tell it was designed for consoles.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #252 on: 18 Nov 2011, 15:33 »

that doesn't really work when you consider Oblivion and Fallout 3's UIs were developed for consoles. I think it's that they were designed by the team responsible for making box art.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #253 on: 18 Nov 2011, 18:03 »

I miss some of the cooking stuff from the Fallouts, though - compared to potions, there's no real reason to ever drag around food that I've found. There's definitely going to be a mod for that, though.

Are you sure? I've been cooking away whenever I get to an inn or clear out a bandit camp (they usually have cooking pots/spits over their fires). I found a recipe book as well for different dishes that replenish magicka as well as health or that increase your sneak and other attributes.
My brother is doing an interesting thing where he's decided to make his Dunmer mage a vegan. He's not using any leather armours, just magic robes. He's not killing any animals unless they attack him and he's not using any animal products in his potions or foods.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #254 on: 18 Nov 2011, 19:14 »

That sounds like a fantastic idea.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #255 on: 19 Nov 2011, 00:58 »

that doesn't really work when you consider Oblivion and Fallout 3's UIs were developed for consoles. I think it's that they were designed by the team responsible for making box art.

I'm only saying it 'feels' like it was made for consoles, regardless of whether it was or not.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #256 on: 22 Nov 2011, 14:19 »

PC users: go here and download the mods needed for better play or better graphics :)

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #257 on: 26 Nov 2011, 05:49 »

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #258 on: 26 Nov 2011, 06:34 »

In my mind the game becomes ONE. Srsly, the engine etc will all be the same, just go from game location to game location: Skyrim -> Tamriel etc etc :)

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #259 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:52 »

I'm still horribly jaded from Oblivion. Though I liked Morrowind, I never had the OMG-Best-Game-Evarz! reaction to it.

Skyrim does look good though. I'll reserve judgement till closer to release.

I hate you prior me. This game is excellent.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #260 on: 11 Dec 2011, 13:46 »

I just found the copy I ordered earlier in my mailbox. It was wrapped in nothing but ribbed cardboard, so the plastic box is really busted up. The good news is, the map is ok, and so is the cd. There being a map is a nice surprise; the rest of it might as well be run through a shredder for all I care, just as long as I can still read the cd key.  :laugh:

So, any good mods that I can start with?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #261 on: 11 Dec 2011, 14:37 »

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667 - kinda fixes the inventory, can sort items by something other than name

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #262 on: 12 Dec 2011, 03:51 »

It does have some known bugs last I checked, with the alchemy/enchantment interfaces.

There's also a program that lets you start the game with 4g ram enabled (instead of 2), but that's going to be fixed in the last patch (is it out yet?), so it's not really going to make that much of a difference.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #263 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:10 »

I've gone ahead and installed a crapload of custom texture mods as well, so the extra RAM could come in useful. But first I need to do the dishes and vaccuum my room, then I'll treat myself to Skyrim.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #264 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:13 »

I used to vacuum, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #265 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:34 »

Aw, damn it. The mods I installed crash the game after a few seconds of getting started. A few oh-so-pretty seconds. I guess I'll have to eliminate some...

Oh wait, it just needed the Large Address Aware patch. Problem solved, continue modding...
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2011, 08:03 by LTK »

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #266 on: 12 Dec 2011, 13:51 »

I used to install mods, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

:mrgreen: Fos-Ro-Dah!

Someone said it's shallower thean Oblivion. I agree with those persons because srsly, the storylines for all the side-quests are so short and the 'infinite' quests just suck.
Also, there's no epic city like Oblivion had :X

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #267 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:04 »

The Elder Scrolls Syndrome, aka "everything was better when I was young!"

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #268 on: 13 Dec 2011, 11:17 »

No, that's a syndrome EVERYWHERE ANYHOW

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #269 on: 14 Dec 2011, 08:15 »

The bandits in this game can be real pussies sometimes. Does this look like a lethal injury to you? Nah, it's just a flesh wound! And still he's dead as a doornail.

Also, it's incredibly jarring to go through such a dramatic change in UI efficiency. Before this I played Serious Sam 3, which controls as tightly as a hummingbird's flight. Skyrim's controls are more akin to a horse-drawn carriage. With a particularly lazy and stubborn horse in front.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2011, 08:22 by LTK »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #270 on: 17 Dec 2011, 15:15 »

Is everyone done with this game already? I killed my first dragon yesterday! I stood on top of the watchtower and riddled it with arrows while it was on the ground roasting the Whiterun guards, then walked down to finish it off with a few blows of the Ancient Nord Battleaxe of Cold. I freaking love that thing. Caused me to invest heavily in Stamina so that I can use more power attacks.

I'm occasionally surprised by how much tactical depth there is to combat. Before arriving in Whiterun I made a stop at High Hrothgar (took a detour circling around the Throat of the World), and found a Frost Troll on the way up. I had no chance of going toe-to-toe with it, so I tipped an arrow with a paralysis potion 3 I picked up somewhere, which knocked him out for seven seconds. That was enough time to give him a good clobbering with the axe, but he still got up, so I just had to roast him with a fire spell in two hands.

Do creatures in Skyrim have elemental weaknesses, or just resistances? It made sense to me to use a fire spell on a frost troll, and the lightning spell (love that as well) seemed to be particularly effective on arthropods. I did verify that the undead are immune to poisons, but the cold damage from my axe didn't seem to be more or less effective on the troll. So what's the deal?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #271 on: 17 Dec 2011, 16:53 »

Oh, I'm not one to run from a fight. Although sometimes I feel a little bit bad about getting into fights with creatures that are just minding their own business. Like that family of trolls in the goldmine near Valtheim Towers. (On the other hand, they did massacre the original inhabitants, so I guess it evens out.) And I think it was rather nice of me to not kill any of the bears I encountered. Not before someone asked me to do just that, anyway.  :angel: :evil:

But I only managed to get a horse after descending down the mountain. I took one from the Stormcloak camp east of the mountain; they didn't seem to mind. But it seems to have wandered off while I had to go talk to the Jarl. Damn it, those things don't just grow on trees!

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #272 on: 18 Dec 2011, 11:16 »

Shadowmere is basically immortal.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #273 on: 18 Dec 2011, 11:17 »

Also, the decapitation finisher animations are about 60-65% of why I play this game.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #274 on: 18 Dec 2011, 11:22 »

I've spent maybe 5000 gold on horses alone because THEY KEEP DYING AFTER ATTACKING MY TARGETS.
Here you go, a cowardly horses mod.

I haven't been able to decapitate anyone yet, Dazed. Plenty of other finisher moves though, like sweeping someone's legs out from under them before planting the axe in their skull. Do you need a specific weapon or a specific skill to do decapitations?

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #275 on: 18 Dec 2011, 11:39 »

Perks in the 1-handed and 2-handed trees.

I've basically decided at this point that my Nord Berserker has gone insane from all of his various contacts with Daedra/other weird shit, so now I pretty much just leave a wake of headless corpses in any town/major city I go through.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #276 on: 18 Dec 2011, 12:51 »

Maces have a really great killcam where you crush whomever you're fighting's knee, and then wack them in the face as they fall. Win!

My gaming rig is down for the moment, so I can't play (oh no!). Got to level 49 before that, and I've had fun all the way. I had a horse for a while, but a dragon showed up and I ducked into a nearby cave. Back out the dragon had roasted the horse, a nearby guard, and went it's merry way. I think I'll get that cowardly horses mod, as I stopped using the things because of the constant wild, lone charges against dragons or bears was kinda silly.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #277 on: 18 Dec 2011, 12:58 »

If you do the dark brotherhood line, you get the baddest-ass/most immortal horse there is.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #278 on: 18 Dec 2011, 16:09 »

you can't. it emerges from a lake after a quest

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #279 on: 19 Dec 2011, 04:34 »

What.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #280 on: 19 Dec 2011, 05:16 »

as far as I'm aware, it doesn't exist in the gameworld until you get up to a certain point in the dark brotherhood storyline. When you trigger the appropriate line of conversation, upon exiting the sanctuary Shadowmere emerges from the small pond immediately outside by way of a scripted event.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #281 on: 19 Dec 2011, 05:24 »

Oh, is that all. I thought it would be some kind of freaky lady-of-the-lake business, only with a horse.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #282 on: 19 Dec 2011, 07:00 »

how does it compare to the thieves guild horse?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #283 on: 21 Dec 2011, 05:07 »

If the Thieves' Guild horse is Frost, then the wiki tells me Shadowmere has more strength. Probably means health.

I have now actually bought a horse from the stables in Whiterun, but keeping it with me is becoming a bit of a problem when I keep passing through tunnels and passes to the other side of a mountain. Yesterday I went into a cave populated by Falmer (whom I all relieved of their soulssss, yus yus) and released an imprisoned Argonian within. When I emerged from the other side, I found a frostbite spider fighting a skeever. It didn't matter who won because a blood dragon came and roasted the two of them. Afterwards I managed to kill it with judicious use of potions and poisons, and of course a battleaxe to the head. It helped that Lydia was there to draw its fire. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Lydia since I killed the dragon...

So it's a good thing my horse wasn't there, or it probably would've ended up as a dragon snack as well. It's a miracle that Argonian survived as well.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #284 on: 01 Jan 2012, 15:02 »

Hey, I can't be the only one still playing this, can I? I've only just formed a bit of an opinion about the whole Imperials vs. Stormcloaks business, and I'm level 38. What's your take on that conflict? At which point were you sufficiently informed to take a side?

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #285 on: 02 Jan 2012, 02:34 »

about three hours in when the main quest takes you to the Thalmor embassy and you learn that Stormcloak is secretly a Thalmor asset and the civil war is all about weakening the empire from the inside

and no, i'm not playing it any more. It, like every other TES game, got dull pretty quickly because pretty much everything is the same, and outside of the longer quest chains, nothing means anything beyond whatever small reward you get from it.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #286 on: 02 Jan 2012, 02:36 »

honestly, i'm considerably more entertained by the caves in Minecraft because, despite only using four different blocks, you never really know what you're going to find when you explore, and your exploring has a significant effect on the surrounding area. The random caves create a real sense that you're actually exploring somewhere, not just hacking through a short series of small rooms to get to the end of it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #287 on: 02 Jan 2012, 06:03 »

about three hours in when the main quest takes you to the Thalmor embassy and you learn that Stormcloak is secretly a Thalmor asset and the civil war is all about weakening the empire from the inside
Yes, three hours in when you do nothing but the main quest. I put off getting the horn of Jurgen Windcaller for some time because its barrow was reallly out of the way, and I had no quests to do in the area. I did get around to reading their notes on Ulfric, but you need to remember that being an 'asset' doesn't mean he's collaborating with the Thalmor. If anything, he must hate them more than the Empire. After all, if it weren't for the Aldmeri Dominion and their White-Gold Concordat, he'd have a lot fewer reasons to instigate a rebellion. But you're right on the other count: It's in the Thalmor's interest to maintain the state of civil war, and either side winning would allow the Empire (and possibly an independent Skyrim) to fortify themselves against the Aldmeri Dominion.

So if we consider our real enemies to be the Thalmor, then the worst option is to do nothing. Who, then, had we better support?

honestly, i'm considerably more entertained by the caves in Minecraft because, despite only using four different blocks, you never really know what you're going to find when you explore, and your exploring has a significant effect on the surrounding area. The random caves create a real sense that you're actually exploring somewhere, not just hacking through a short series of small rooms to get to the end of it.
Yeah, the whole dungeon layout is quickly becoming a trope of itself. Enter, kill the mooks, kill the chief, loot the big chest, and open the secret passage that leads back to the entrance. But even if every cave and barrow follows this layout, they're doing a pretty good job of making the individual locations feel unique rather than just copy-paste jobs from a cave you encountered three hours earlier. I recall critics saying that other Elder Scrolls games were far more guilty of this.

I like exploring caves in Minecraft as well, but I disagree with the notion of 'you don't know what you're going to find'. I know exactly what you're going to find: More caves, more lava, more ores, maybe an abandoned mineshaft, and almost definitely not a stronghold. Minecraft gives you the thrill of going where no man has gone before, which entertained me for more than a year before getting old, but  you really can't compare it to exploring an expertly crafted world-stage that is alive with stories both past and ongoing. Even if all you really do is kill the majority of the performers.

I want to mention the thing I found in the glaciers around Winterhold that really cements the feeling that the world of Skyrim has a history. You know what I mean?

(click to show/hide)

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #288 on: 02 Jan 2012, 06:03 »

I'm at level 56 and still enjoying myself. Some of the lower Dwemer ruins you visit towards the end of the game looks amazing, I've just finished exploring every corner of them. Also finished the main quest, which was cool and all, but I still got more excited when I found
(click to show/hide)
as a part of another quest, but I guess that's just nostalgia. I also feel kind of too powerful, but I guess that's the danger of having to design the game so it's still playable even if you don't focus your perks to work very well together.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #289 on: 02 Jan 2012, 06:16 »

and no, i'm not playing it any more. It, like every other TES game, got dull pretty quickly because pretty much everything is the same, and outside of the longer quest chains, nothing means anything beyond whatever small reward you get from it.
If you want to play a fantasy RPG that actually gives your actions consequences, play the Witcher 2. It's often mentioned in contrast with Skyrim because of the question of what makes an RPG a role-playing game. Skyrim allows you to go out and have an adventure on your own, or be a hero, or be a heartless criminal, or anything in between, but the breath of possible experiences excludes the depth of immersion in your particular role. You can be the most wanted criminal in all the holds of Skyrim, but other bandits will still attack you just the same. The Witcher 2 puts you in a predefined role in a Deus Ex style staged open world, but allows you to fill in this role in with your own moral nuances. This approach really resonated with me, and got me thinking about my actions and personal goals much more than a game where you just go around doing what people tell you to.

Snalin, what's the name of the quest? I want to know if I can open the spoiler.  :angel:

Oh, I forgot to mention: On the Skyrim map that came with my boxed edition, there are red crosses on certain locations. I've sought one of them out and found a shipwreck. The other crosses might be shipwrecks as well, or they can be something else entirely. Does anyone else have the map to look for them?
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2012, 06:21 by LTK »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #290 on: 02 Jan 2012, 07:46 »

I forgot about those! They were there on the Morrowind map, and those places had some really big treasures (like the cave off the coast of Solstheim filled with gold). I'll check them out next, I think. Time for some off-roading anyways, the game looks amazing at Ultra+ graphics.

The quest I was talking about is a side quest you do for one of the guys at the mages College, where you start out collecting dwemer stuff and progress for there.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #291 on: 02 Jan 2012, 09:40 »

Oh right, I was just in the middle of those. Gotta get the staff of Magnus now. I still don't get how they got the goddamn orb from underground all the way up to the College of Winterhold. Funnily enough, I wouldn't even have bothered to go to the College if I didn't need the Gauldur amulet fragment from Saarthal. And it was only by chance I, a burly bearded battleaxe-wielding Nord, was carrying a spellbook for Firebolt that I needed to pass the entry test, because I bought a whole lot of spells from a wizard earlier to trade some magic staffs for.

Speaking of magic staffs, Wabbajack. Wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack. It's a lot of fun to use against the occasional wolf or bear, even if it eats up all of my soul gems. But seeing a charging bear explode into a shower of gold coins makes it all worthwhile.

Anyway! Still wondering where you all stand in the Imperials vs. Stormcloaks. Has anyone picked a side yet? I haven't myself, only on account of not wanting to kill the soldiers on the other side, who've got just as good of a reason to fight.

(By now I've probably been mulling over imaginary politics way longer than over real politics. I guess it's good practice.)
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2012, 10:16 by LTK »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #292 on: 02 Jan 2012, 11:33 »

Oh, I'm definitely eventually going to go for the Cloacks, simply because they are directly opposed to the damn elf wannabe overlords, and the whole Talos worship thing. I did read a mention about starting that questline activating some sieges and such, and that'd get in the way of quests, so for now I'm just putting it off until later.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #293 on: 02 Jan 2012, 12:11 »

Those were my thoughts as well. Religious persecution by a foreign power in Skyrim isn't doing the Empire's image any favors. But then, who do we really want to fight? The Imperials, or the Aldmeri Dominion?

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #294 on: 02 Jan 2012, 13:23 »

Specifically, the civil war quest fucks up the main quest until you have completely finished the civil war. If you do, you willl then miss a small part of the main quest.

I am currently level 70 and still havent even started the civil war quest ... I'm having too much fun exploring every little nook and cranny in this awesome world. I think I didn't even advance in the main quest after Whiterun until I was like level 50 or somesuch.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #295 on: 02 Jan 2012, 14:11 »

The shouts are totally worth advancing the main quest for, though. I mean, for 20 levels or so I only knew Fus and Ro, which are as useful as a shield bash and a power shield bash respectively, but Da quite literally hits it out of the park. One time I shouted an Orc in full plate armor off the top of a tower. I don't know whether a suit of armor makes you less or more likely to survive after a fall, but he sure as hell wasn't getting up. I now know two words of both the Fire and Frost Breath shouts; if the third word makes as much of a difference as it does with Unrelenting Force, I think I might go mad with power.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #296 on: 04 Jan 2012, 07:15 »

STILL haven't gotten to this yet. I know the PC version is far superior because of mods and better graphics and probably better controls etc. etc. but is the 360 version similarly great? Buying a new computer soon and if I wanted to play Skyrim on it, I'd have to get a more expensive one than I was planning to, is why I ask.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #297 on: 04 Jan 2012, 07:29 »

I can't objectively compare the two because I've only played the PC version, but my instinctive reaction is a resounding NOPE. You need only look at some of the screenshots for some of the most popular mods to see the difference in looks. But control-wise, the PC version is sorely unoptimized. Most of the menus have been left completely unaltered from the console version, meaning that you can often only have one item selection on screen at a time. It's honestly torturous to use on the PC version. Fortunately, there are already a number of excellent mods to remedy this, such as SkyUI. Installing it got rid of all my inventory woes.

Also, if you keep your eyes peeled you could probably find a PC version of Skyrim for half price of the console version, which slightly compensates for the cost of your computer.  :wink:

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #298 on: 07 Jan 2012, 18:52 »

ok so the next question is, is it worth paying more than I was planning to for a new computer (which I'm getting anyway) in order to play this? Obviously that would mean I could play a bunch of other cool games with high systems reqs as well but I'm pretty busy these days so I don't have time to juggle lots of different games. Is Skyrim really, really awesome or just quite good? Or is it not that good? Because if it's one of the latter, I'll save my money but of it's the former I have some tough decisions to make.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ackblom12

« Reply #299 on: 07 Jan 2012, 19:31 »

Keeping in mind that I'm getting rather jaded with keeping up with the PC market, I'd vote 360 as long as you have a HD television. The vanilla game is really well done compared to past vanilla builds and there hasn't been a single thing that's offended me in the quality of the game thus far.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up