THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V  (Read 143289 times)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Elder Scrolls V
« Reply #450 on: 16 Apr 2013, 17:31 »

The other part of that is that Bethesda Softworks is the publisher for all of those games.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

TheEvilDog

« Reply #451 on: 16 Apr 2013, 18:25 »

Bethesda Game Studios, the company that actually made the The Elder Scrolls games and Fallout 3, is not the same as Bethesda Softworks. Bethesda Softworks is the parent company of Bethesda Game Studios, and is again owned by ZeniMax Media. Bethesda Softworks are publishing The Elder Scrolls Online, which is being made by ZeniMax Online Studios, which is a daughter company of ZeniMax Media.

I never said Softworks made them, but that it published the games. You'll notice earlier that I mentioned Bethesda Game Studios made the Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #452 on: 16 Apr 2013, 19:32 »

I was commenting more on the inadequacies of Snalin's diagram.  Our company's structure is really damn confusing.  As far as liaisons go, there's definitely a lot of communication about lore.  I played soccer with Pete Hines once; that guy is fast.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #453 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:15 »

I never said Softworks made them, but that it published the games. You'll notice earlier that I mentioned Bethesda Game Studios made the Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3.

Wasn't implying that you did - I was just trying to go a bit deeper in my explanation.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #454 on: 01 May 2013, 05:22 »

>implying
This is a pretty nerdy thing to argue about. Seems like there is just a slight misunderstanding from confusing corporate dickery.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #455 on: 19 Aug 2013, 10:29 »

Restarted this this weekend, as a Nightblade-ish character.  Upped the difficulty, too.  Hopefully I'll get to see another side of the game.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #456 on: 19 Aug 2013, 11:24 »

I also restarted the game over the weekend, this time with a Nord Sorcerer/Necromancer. She was level 2 going into Bleak Falls Barrow, level 7 when I got out. Conjuration leapt up 15 points. The Magic-heavy characters are ridiculously overpowered, especially if you give them the Thalmor armour early on.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #457 on: 26 Aug 2013, 11:21 »

My first playthrough was conjuration and I really enjoyed it.  It felt natural - armor and sword for easy stuff, break out the magic for the tough stuff.

Playing now as stealth/archer on higher difficulty.  The eye in the centre is cheese, but at the same time some elements of stealth are suprisingly well done.

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #458 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:16 »

If the eye annoys you, get a mod. I played everything exept mage (I don't like it)
On my stealth run, I found a mod that makes the eye move to just below the compass. I also found mods that enhance sneaking, like less chance to be found when hiding in shadows, more sneak noise when closer to enemies, etc.
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #459 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:23 »

I loved playing stealthy. It made me sad that I could barely use my daggers. When playing stealthy bow and arrow are incredibly powerful.

Somehow I like stealthy characters. When given the choice I'll most likely choose the Rogue/Assassin/whatever it may be called. My favourite guild in MTG's Ravnica is the House Dimir.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #460 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:36 »

I tried that with a new character I started recently. Stealthy, backstabbing, magicky Dark Elf. On a whim, I installed a bunch of additional mods, but it never seems enough. When I started looking for magic overhaul mods I realised that the Skyrim that I could play was never going to be close enough to the Skyrim I wanted to play. So instead of playing Skyrim with Dishonored powers, I just went back and played Dishonored again.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #461 on: 27 Aug 2013, 02:32 »

I loved playing stealthy. It made me sad that I could barely use my daggers. When playing stealthy bow and arrow are incredibly powerful.

Daggers are hugely underpowered. The only way to get some power out of them is to get the backstabbing perk, which powers them up x15. But that's a level 50 sneak skill, and requires three other perks. Bow and arrow are way more powerfull, considering that crossbows get more power (200+) and use the same stealth techniques. With fully upgrades bow and arrows, with Archery at 100, and sneak at 100, and the Deadly Aim perk (sneak attacks with bows x3), I could kill a Dragon with one shot
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #462 on: 13 Mar 2014, 19:30 »

oh god help it's got me it's got me i can't feel my legs i can't remember the sun and and and

VICTORY OR SOVNGARDE

(so yeah I'm late to the party but having fun)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #463 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:17 »

Hell I still keep this in the rotation.  It's a hell of a lot of fun to play.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #464 on: 16 Mar 2014, 21:17 »

I was a little disappointed yesterday.

First off, there were TWO dragons, but the cowards didn't fight for my amusements.

Then the one I was fighting *ran away* and decided a nearby giant looked like easier prey.  :facepalm:

I almost let the giant walk away as a sort of 'hey good job killing the dragon' but then I was all 'BUT IT WAS MY DRAGON DAMNIT'
p.s. holy shit guys Drelas is kind of a badass.. Weird that he has nothing to do with anything.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #465 on: 17 Mar 2014, 04:08 »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really stoked about Skywind:

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #466 on: 17 Mar 2014, 04:27 »

Skywind looks amazing, I really hope it gets finished. It would be a shame to see it go the same way as Morroblivion.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #467 on: 17 Mar 2014, 04:52 »

I think Morroblivion didn't get as much traction because the Oblivion engine simply wasn't that impressive. The Skywind project is hosted at morroblivion.com, but last time I checked, the team had 70 members, and they're further along than I think Morroblivion ever was.

Now, the really interesting thing would be if they could port Tamriel rebuilt. Of course, the rebuilt project would probably have to get a shine up, since stuff in the Skyrim engine needs a lot more clutter than stuff in the Morrowind engine did (see the official development video), but the promise of all of Morrowind in an actual game would be great.

Urm, for the uninitiated, Morrowind the game contained about half of Morrowind the province. Check this map, where Morrowind is in the north east. The Morrowind game was contained on the Vvardenfell island (plus the city of Mournhold and the island of Solstheim). Tamriel rebuilt is a Morrowind mod that seeks to make the entire province of Morrowind into a playable game area, fully built out with quests and all of that good stuff. They're still going strong, and are done with large parts of the world.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #468 on: 17 Mar 2014, 06:39 »

I'm not a big mod person, but if Skywind comes to fruition I will buy a PC copy of the game just to play it.

Actually, I seem to recall hearing you need Morrowind installed as well?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #469 on: 17 Mar 2014, 09:56 »

Yeah. The old Morroblivion project tried to just... give you the Morrowind files as a part of the mod, and understandably got massively shut down by Bethesda. So they need a Morrowind install to pull the Morrowind game files from. It's $20 on Steam.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #470 on: 17 Mar 2014, 10:06 »

Yeah. The old Morroblivion project tried to just... give you the Morrowind files as a part of the mod, and understandably got massively shut down by Bethesda. So they need a Morrowind install to pull the Morrowind game files from. It's $20 on Steam.

Do they have to be Steam downloads, because I could get a used disc of Skyrim for $20 and one of Morrowind for like $10.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #471 on: 17 Mar 2014, 10:25 »

Nope, although Skyrim requires Steam anyways. The Steam tip was just for "if you don't have Morrowind" already.

EDIT: though you would probably need a Morrowind GOTY edition - I think a Morrowind version without both Bloodmoon and Tribunal won't be supported. But why would you want a version without Bloodmoon and Tribunal?

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #472 on: 17 Mar 2014, 12:03 »

I have the GOTY edition for Xbox.

Was that $20 for GOTY on Steam or for the base game?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #473 on: 17 Mar 2014, 13:29 »

GOTY. I don't think vanilla Morrowind is sold anywhere anymroe.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.
« Reply #474 on: 17 Mar 2014, 17:42 »

I'm not a big mod person, but if Skywind comes to fruition I will buy a PC copy of the game just to play it.

Actually, I seem to recall hearing you need Morrowind installed as well?

I am a current voice actor and am part of the modding team for Skywind. Yes a copy of the GOTY Edittion of morrowind, as well as a copy of skyrim will/is required to play the mod.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #475 on: 17 Mar 2014, 18:08 »

Do you know why the public alpha was taken down?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #476 on: 22 Mar 2014, 22:40 »

So there I am, wandering around off...somewhere. And I show up at a mill, a courier is waiting for me, and gives me an inheritance letter! Adrienne Avenicci died. :/ I'm all 'wtf mate', and I go back to Whiterun, not only is she dead but Sigurd's body is lying in the street.

I dunno if it was a vampire attack or bug or who knows what. But that's *my* town Talos-damnit. No one gets to kill my NPCs *but me*.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #477 on: 23 Mar 2014, 05:50 »

So there I am, wandering around off...somewhere. And I show up at a mill, a courier is waiting for me, and gives me an inheritance letter! Adrienne Avenicci died. :/ I'm all 'wtf mate', and I go back to Whiterun, not only is she dead but Sigurd's body is lying in the street.

I dunno if it was a vampire attack or bug or who knows what. But that's *my* town Talos-damnit. No one gets to kill my NPCs *but me*.

I consider Whiterun to be under my protection as well. It's a shame I wasn't around to stop that werewolf attack. Strange that it only killed Nazeem.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #478 on: 23 Mar 2014, 07:01 »

I've never had werewolf attack issues. Namely because I'm usually howlin with the pack and any of my wolves wot touch my humans are gonna get crumped.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #479 on: 23 Mar 2014, 09:36 »

So, kinda related...I've been involved with this for almost four years and we launch in two weeks. We have mainland Morrowind! Has anyone here tried it out? I've honestly not had the time to sit down with it myself for more than an hour in the last 18 months  :-P

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #480 on: 23 Mar 2014, 13:23 »

I'm not sure if I love TES enough to get over my general distaste for mmos.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #481 on: 23 Mar 2014, 13:30 »

Strange that it only killed Nazeem.
You sure the asshole didn't just insult the Companions one too many times?

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #482 on: 23 Mar 2014, 14:52 »

Strange that it only killed Nazeem.
You sure the asshole didn't just insult the Companions one too many times?
"Do you ever get up to the Cloud District - Oh what am I saying, of course you don't."
*quicksave*
*killing spree*
*quickload*
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #483 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:13 »

So I killed Alva while she was asleep and alone at Morath's. Aannnd.... I think the townsfolk of Morvath or whatever are actually a little irritable about it.

Which is funny, but hey. Screw 'em if they can't take a hero.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #484 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:30 »

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who doesn't go on random killing sprees in games when people piss me off. Or just because. Then again, that's probably because I'm to afraid I'll do it in real life some day. Though there was that time, after about the 5000th time hearing it, I had to quick save and shoot one of those damn guards in the knee with an arrow...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #485 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:45 »

I've made the streets of Whiterun run with blood a few times
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #486 on: 24 Mar 2014, 13:36 »

My thing, I was doing them a *favor*. Just trying not to state super spoilers outright.

Mind you I totally have went on 'I wonder if I can take them all out' sprees before. Sometimes get a little frustrated with the game's immortal NPCs. Of *course* I want them to be immortal when, say, dragons try to kill them, and mortal when *I* want to kill them. So uh. Double standard?

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #487 on: 24 Mar 2014, 14:09 »

One of the funniest things that happened to me was this:

I noticed the high elf guards marching a prisoner right outside of Whiterun, near one of the local farmhouses.  I'd opted to simply leave them alone, when out of nowhere a dragon attacked.  My companion (who was the early wizard character) and I immediately attacked said dragon, and my shout blew it into one of the guards, smashing him up against a wall and killing him.  The rest of the guards attacked me, and I defended myself and then proceeded to loot their corpses, because why the fuck not?  Well, I was pretty close to being overburdened so I fast traveled to Whiterun, and that was my mistake.

Rather than give me the chance to pay my fine they attacked.  Now I ran through the town, trying to get away from them, and not attacking anyone - but my little companion had other ideas, and he proceeded to chain lightning the shit out of everyone that saw fit to pursue me with a sword drawn.  Needless to say it did not end well for them, and the entire town was littered with dead guards (including two that chased me into my home) and people going, "Oh my!  What happened?" every time I went back there.  I have since learned not to fast travel with a fine due.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #488 on: 24 Mar 2014, 14:13 »

Wait a minute, since when is attacking elves a crime? And how did the Whiterun guards know about it?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #489 on: 24 Mar 2014, 16:12 »

Didn't you hear? Attacking Friend Comput...er, I mean, 'Friendly' Thalmor is treason, citizen!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #490 on: 24 Mar 2014, 16:23 »

Since the Thalmor pretty much have the Empire's nuts in a vice... Still, Whiterun is pretty much neutral over the whole Stormcloak/Empire war at least in the start, so it's kinda weird. I've wound up killing that Thalmor patrol before, oddly enough just down the road at the guard tower where you first learn to Shout. I never had any guards come after me over that. I guess because you were right there at Whiterun, someone saw you? Beware the chickens... They're all stool pigeons.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #491 on: 24 Mar 2014, 16:27 »

but they're ELVES!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #492 on: 24 Mar 2014, 17:20 »

Joking aside, I'd bet it's because they're flagged as non-hostile (until they inevitably decide to Inquisite you). Probably fair game once they attack, but until then...

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #493 on: 24 Mar 2014, 17:22 »

also all this talk about being mean to elves reminds me that we used to call our old roleplaying gang back home the 'He-Man Elf Haters Club'.

I'm sorta sad that no one else appears to have used that idea on the internet much, according to a cursory Google search.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #494 on: 24 Mar 2014, 17:26 »

But elves are cool!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #495 on: 24 Mar 2014, 17:29 »

Since the Thalmor pretty much have the Empire's nuts in a vice... Still, Whiterun is pretty much neutral over the whole Stormcloak/Empire war at least in the start, so it's kinda weird. I've wound up killing that Thalmor patrol before, oddly enough just down the road at the guard tower where you first learn to Shout. I never had any guards come after me over that. I guess because you were right there at Whiterun, someone saw you? Beware the chickens... They're all stool pigeons.

The first time I encountered a group of them near Whiterun I buried my axe into their heads and nobody ever questioned why I suddenly turned up wearing a full set of glass armour.

But elves are cool!
Yes, and they know it all too well.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #496 on: 24 Mar 2014, 18:06 »

No sense crying over dead elves, especially if there's more of them around to kill off.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #497 on: 24 Mar 2014, 18:35 »

*puts on a hood to cover pointy ears and tries to find an exit*

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #498 on: 24 Mar 2014, 19:00 »

I blame D&D for my innate hatred of elves. It's not your fault Ali, and as you know I have bits and pieces of a high elf army, but I cannot stand those annoying Mary Sue magnets for the most part.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #499 on: 24 Mar 2014, 22:15 »

it occurs to me that i'm playing an orc.

So uh.

I guess I'm sort of an elf in this game?

damn.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up