THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V  (Read 143296 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: Elder Scrolls V
« Reply #500 on: 24 Mar 2014, 22:21 »

Also this guy is am amusingly large part of why we hated elves.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #501 on: 25 Mar 2014, 09:46 »

Was he supposed to be an elf?

Well, that explains... nothing.

I've got a distaste for most kinds of elves, but the Dunmer is something else entirely. The dwemer were also elves - steampunkelves - so I cut them some slack.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #502 on: 25 Mar 2014, 10:07 »

If you want to get technical, all the merpeople are related. But when people think of elves, then they're usually thinking of either hippie elves (Bosmer) or smug elves (Altmer), for Elder Scrolls context.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #503 on: 25 Mar 2014, 10:42 »

Yeah... pretty much all the non-human, non-beastpeople races in Elder Scrolls seemed to have started out as elves, at least. The orcs and Falmer were mutated into their current form. I'm not sure why the dwemer/dwarves look so different from the Altmer, Bosmer and Dunmer though...

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #504 on: 25 Mar 2014, 13:20 »

Was he supposed to be an elf?

Well, that explains... nothing.

No worries, it's a movie reference. Was just fishing to see if anyone else got it.

Also is it me or are Giants probably Mer-based as well?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #505 on: 25 Mar 2014, 13:41 »

hmmm. A quick check of various lore sites says... Nobody knows. They have elf-like ears, but human like features. They are inter-fertile with humans though. Lyris Titanborn is half-giant. I'm not sure if any of the mer races can breed with human races? I can't remember any references to half elves, so if that's the case then giants are not likely of mer decent. Apparently the dwarf name for Dwemer comes from giants, since they were about the same size as a human.

I recognized the character and the movie you showed... I was just trying to forget that horrible thing...

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #506 on: 25 Mar 2014, 17:30 »

Yeah... pretty much all the non-human, non-beastpeople races in Elder Scrolls seemed to have started out as elves, at least. The orcs and Falmer were mutated into their current form. I'm not sure why the dwemer/dwarves look so different from the Altmer, Bosmer and Dunmer though...

There's also the Chimer (Dunmer before they were cursed by Azura) and the Snow Elves - both look very different from the others.

I still really want to see a game set in Akavir.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #507 on: 25 Mar 2014, 17:52 »

Spoilered in case people didn't know about the Snow Elves.
(click to show/hide)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #508 on: 25 Mar 2014, 19:43 »

There's also the Chimer (Dunmer before they were cursed by Azura) and the Snow Elves - both look very different from the others.

I still really want to see a game set in Akavir.

YES. Though I'd admit, Elswhyr or Black Marsh would be cool too.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #509 on: 26 Mar 2014, 20:10 »

I recognized the character and the movie you showed... I was just trying to forget that horrible thing...

I'm just saying, those elves saved the *white* man from the door of death.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #510 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:14 »

I thought D&D was a great movie!

I was 8 or 9 at the time, so...

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #511 on: 27 Mar 2014, 16:30 »

Have you seen it since? I thought Captain EO was a great movie when I was 8, too.

Back on the subject of Elder Scrolls Elves, there's also the Bretons, which - if I'm reading this right - are half Nord and half Aldmer.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #512 on: 15 Jun 2014, 20:46 »

So, I ran into something I hadn't in any other playthroughs (which seems to be a repeating theme) at the lighthouse in the north.  If you know the one I mean, then you know what I found.

It got me thinking.  That scenario could have literally been a game, by itself.  It could stand alone with no problem whatsoever.  But it's just a FRACTION of Skyrim.  This game just continues to amaze me, even after a couple of years.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

TheEvilDog

« Reply #513 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:19 »

Have you seen it since? I thought Captain EO was a great movie when I was 8, too.

Back on the subject of Elder Scrolls Elves, there's also the Bretons, which - if I'm reading this right - are half Nord and half Aldmer.

Not quite, in one source they're Nedic/Aldmeri, while others put them as Atmoran/Aldmeri. The difference is that the Nedes were the descendants of the Atmorans, while the Imperials are the descendants of the Nedes. The Nords are the descendants of the Atmorans after they settled in Tamriel.
But the Bretons aren't half Human, half Mer, the elven part of their bloodline has become diluted over the generations, to such an extent that they pretty much lumped in as Human.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #514 on: 22 Jan 2016, 23:03 »

Anyone still playing? I started a new play with a thief build, but got bored 30 hours in (how many games can you say that for?) and have started a mage build.

Getting 100 sneak may be the easiest thing to get 100 in.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #515 on: 23 Jan 2016, 07:06 »

I started up a new game a week ago. Redguard sword and board mercenary. I haven't had much of a chance to play yet though because of work. I've only gone as far as Bleak Falls Barrow. I'm kinda thinking of ignoring the main quest to fit with the mercenary concept... Just wander from town to town killing bandits and monsters or whatever they will hire me for and more or less just stumble on major plot points? What's that? Dragonborn? Sounds like Nord superstition to me.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #516 on: 25 Jan 2016, 16:05 »

The funny thing is that the Dragonborn, when you get right down to it, IS a Mercenary. Every thing you do, you do for some form of reward.

Are there ANY quests that don't have any form of reward (aside from loot and experience in the dungeon itself)? I don't think there are...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #517 on: 25 Jan 2016, 16:18 »

Yeah, but I meant in a less meta sense. Basically I was thinking of ignoring the main quest line after meeting with the Greybeards, and staying out of the whole Imperial/Stormcloak war as much as possible. Nearly being excited because she got stuck in the middle of that kinda putting her off wanting to sign up. Just wandering from hold to hold, doing the little stuff and slaying the odd dragon, exploring dungeons as I go.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #518 on: 25 Jan 2016, 18:57 »

40 hours in - have not met the greybeards :D

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #519 on: 25 Jan 2016, 19:12 »

It was my understanding that random dragons didn't start spawning until you do? Which would make it kind of hard to learn new shouts. Besides, RO DA is awesome.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #520 on: 25 Jan 2016, 20:59 »

No, dragons appear after get attacked by the first one.

At least, in any case, I've always at least done the dragonstone quest.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #521 on: 26 Jan 2016, 15:43 »

Dragons definitely can start appearing before you meet the Greybeards, but I've never figured out exactly what triggers it.

It certainly seems to be *rarer* before you make the climb, though. That might just be RNG, though.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #522 on: 26 Jan 2016, 21:34 »

Dragons appear any time after you fight the first one (after the Dragonstone quest), as explicit said.

They start to become more frequent the further you get in the main quest.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #523 on: 27 Jan 2016, 03:59 »

I have never managed to finish Skyrim's Main Quest (or any Elder Scrolls' Main Quest, for that matter). I always get distracted by side quests and eventually lose motivation.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #524 on: 27 Jan 2016, 04:46 »

Dragons appear any time after you fight the first one (after the Dragonstone quest), as explicit said.

They start to become more frequent the further you get in the main quest.
'
I have the BEST reading comprehension some days. Thanks

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #525 on: 27 Jan 2016, 07:45 »

I'm pretty much the same. I never finished Oblivion, Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas (Still working on Fallout 4, so no counting that.) I never could get very far in Morrowwind. I want to play it, but the outdated graphics quickly turn me off. I'm not graphics snob but I have my limits.

My biggest problem with finishing these big, 60+ hour games is to many distractions, and to much 'sameness'. You spend to much time basically doing the same stuff.. falling into a routine of fighting the same way, vs similar enemies over and over. Then another game or project comes along and distracts me, and when I return I start a new character, or I decide I want to try a new way of playing and start a new character...

Though in fairness, the reason why I've never completed the Fallout New Vegas main quest is once I get my revenge on Benny, I just can't care about who takes over the place, or find interest in dealing with all of the people involved. All of the factions are screwed up one way or another, and I don't want to take over myself. So... I just go do side quests and DLC missions.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #526 on: 28 Jan 2016, 15:38 »

To be fair, I do try and complete Bethesda games (finished Morrowind, as well as Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim. Never even got through the first dungeon in Oblivion because of ALL! THE! POTATO! FACES!)

Skyrim-wise, I've been using the Ordinator Perk Overhaul mod to change the game. While SPERG was a simple enough overhaul that did reduce the damage done by weapons (for example, instead of 5 perks giving you 100% extra damage, you got 2 perks allowing for 40% extra), but a mix of mods and you were basically a god by level 20. Ordinator forces you to focus on a couple of skills and even then only a couple of branches of each skill tree.

I've been using a couple of different builds, with some varying success.
Nord Warlord build (Heavy armour, Block, One Handed (swords), Two Handed (greatswords), Archery and using the Elemental Fury and Fire Breath shouts, using a 70:30 split for Health and Stamina). And he is an absolute combat monster, just destroys enemies without taking much damage.

Vampire Necromancer (Alteration, Destruction, Conjuration, One Handed (daggers), Marked For Death and Slow Time shouts and an even mix of Health, Stamina and Magicka. Mixed bag, she's great at short burst damage but even with high Alteration, she's also a glass cannon.

Altmer Glass Paladin (Light Armour, Archery, Two Handed (greatsword), Restoration with Elemental Fury and Become Ethereal Shouts, 20:50:30 mix of Magicka, Health and Stamina. Definitely a glass cannon. Utterly devastating against Vampires and Undead, but against living enemies, she really does have a hard time.

Still, overall they're fun.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up