THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V  (Read 143251 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Elder Scrolls V
« Reply #100 on: 08 Jan 2011, 14:50 »

They really just need to cut the Radiant AI bullshit. It's always been a big selling point of theirs and they've never implemented it the way they've promised to. Oblivion promised all the same things but the Radiant AI just broke the game entirely so they scaled it back. It's not an issue of platform power, it's an issue of implementation.

Some of that looks interesting, and Fallout 3 was much better than it had any right to be, but I can't expect much from TES these days.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #101 on: 08 Jan 2011, 15:00 »

I was under the impression that they only took it out because they ran out of time to balance it.  They've had some 4 years or so to work on this (with actual final hardware, no less) and have likely made some huge improvements.  I don't see why they'd extend the Radiant AI to quest-giving and story if the AI wasn't itself working really well.

In any case, the lower your expectations, the more you'll be surprised.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #102 on: 08 Jan 2011, 15:55 »

As far as I remember, back around Oblivion Radiant AI was mostly cut out of the game because they realized that high end computers had problems running it with everything implemented. With no time to optimize, they cut out most of the system, leaving a core that was fairly reduced. It's a great idea, though, and not undoable - Mount & Blade pulls off stuff like that pretty well, with all npc characters picking from a varied list of goals, and creating a fairly believable environment and an interesting world that way. It's just about making a robust system of controlling the NPCs without scripting their every move. It's designing genius - once you have the  system in place and working, you can rework it for different games, and get a much more interesting game world with much less work.

And, to be fair, it hasn't "always" been their selling point. It was one of their selling points for Oblivion, and I can't remember hearing anything about it in Fallout 3, although checking around, it's mentioned in interviews. I'm not convinced that the AI behavior will be much better than in Fallout 3/NV, but it will certainly not be worse, unless they fall into the same trap as in Oblivion of making 3 conversations for for the NPCs to pick from.

Stuff they must do for the game to work, though, is getting more damned people in the cities, making combat (and especially dragon combat) interesting, and make a decently compelling story. Morrowind had the first and third, Oblivion had, well, kinda the second, so they probably have it in them. Somewhere, maybe. Exploring the world will be good - Betehsda making exploration downright uninteresting would be like Sid Meyer making a game that won't steal away 5 hours without you noticing.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #103 on: 08 Jan 2011, 16:51 »

The reason I recall them taking it out of Oblivion was because over an extended period of time, chances were that any given character ending up murdered somewhere reached 1. It would be like that bug in Fallout 3 where the guy you give scrap metal to in Megaton spawns off a cliff and permanently disappears, but multiplied dozens of times. I assume the "descendants" thing is an effort to remedy that to an extent, but if you're just going to make a carbon copy of a quest-giving NPC when they die, what's the point? Especially when character interaction is entirely numeric, as it always has been in TES. Kill my dad, will you? That's a -15 disposition penalty right there, buddy. I'll need at least 20 gold or the passing of an easily mastered minigame to forgive you.

Anyway, yeah, three things that I don't believe Bethsoft will ever improve upon - Writing, Voice Acting, and Character Building.

Hopefully this time you'll be the focus of the story and not the capable lackey of the focus of the story.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2011, 16:53 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #104 on: 08 Jan 2011, 17:10 »

Well, I would say that Fallout 3 was a huge improvement in all three categories (concerning VA that is kinda sad) but the writing was mostly impressive in the occasional side quest and not the actual main quest... which actually may not be an improvement now that I think about it since it was the exact same in Oblivion.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #105 on: 08 Jan 2011, 17:25 »

Of course that'll happen when you don't have time to optimize/fine-tune it.  In any case, when has any non-scripted character interaction in a video game not been numeric?  The only difference between TES and other games is that they make it really transparent.

As far as story goes, there's been a lot of influence from Conan (and rightly so), so I imagine your character's a good deal more important than a lackey.  At best, savior of time itself; at worst, the most crucial participant in the final battle against Alduin.

Voice acting-wise, I'm pretty certain they can only get better considering how clunky it was in Oblivion and Fallout 3.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2011, 17:31 by Dimmukane »
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #106 on: 08 Jan 2011, 17:53 »

I just got done reading the the GI article and I'm really excited now. If they deliver on 1/5 of the things they said, it'll probably be my GOTY.

I am ridiculously easy to please though.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #107 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:06 »

Super intrigued by the new levelling system. I mean, in practice, I'll probably hate it like I hate every TES levelling system, but it's an interesting thing conceptually and I'm trying to work out how it affects min-maxing.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #108 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:09 »

Yeah, i am definitely intrigued at least. Also I found scans and holy shit, it's a TES game where the human NPCs don't look like some horrible Ogre/Troll hybrid!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #109 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:14 »

Just looked up said scans too. I know screens are doctored and prettied up and stuff especially for a feature spread in GI but holy dang.

WTB FO4.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #110 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:20 »

Not sure I can make a proper judgement about the graphics until I see them in motion.  I am not as impressed though, was just writing up a negative thing, but I'll wait now until I've seen gameplay videos.

I just want gameplay to be great.  Cutting things down to 1h and 2h sounds shit.  Shield bashing sounds good.  Wielding spells at the same time as a sword sounds ok?  Depends on how it's implemented.  Same with two weapons.  Not sure how they are going to do it unless they use the same kind of method as the shield bashing with it.  Surely today's mice have enough buttons that we can have a Primary and secondary attack?  Not sure I like the idea of finishing moves.  It's an RPG man, I don't fucking care how I finish people off.  People play these games for 100+ hours, anything trite like finishing animations you can't stop is going to get old very quickly (but then again, I guess we can just mod them out?)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #111 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:23 »

Surely today's mice have enough buttons that we can have a Primary and secondary attack?

You have made the classic error of assuming Bethsoft cares about making it great for PC. They like the PC market, of course. They understand their most devoted audience is there. That's why they release the mod tools, because that audience will turn the game into whatever they want. It is not who they are making the game for, though.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #112 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:38 »

The finishing moves, if I read the article correctly, are different based on which weapon you use, as well as which enemy you're killing.  So killing a troll with a mace is different than with a sword is different than with a dagger is different than with a hammer, and those are all different if it's a giant instead of a troll.  So it'll be kind of like those special moves in VATS you could do in New Vegas, except in real-time and an extra level of variety.  It could still get repetitive, especially towards the endgame when you're probably going to be  using one melee weapon most of the time, but I don't think it'll be as repetitive as something like Assassin's Creed.  And yeah, modding them out'll probably be one of the first things people do.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #113 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:47 »

That sounds better than I was expecting, though.  Maybe it won't get so bad?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #114 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:50 »

Also, re: the console, we have two trigger buttons, maybe one for each hand?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #115 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:56 »

All we have to go on right now is what the article said, but I imagine it won't be too long before they release gameplay footage.  They want to show this game off.  And yeah, that assumption's correct or at least not far from whatever it is they have planned.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #116 on: 08 Jan 2011, 19:01 »

Despite my pessimism I'm open to the game being good in some respects. I know Bethsoft is open to criticism of their design and even when they fail to correct faults they usually at least give it a shot. Oblivion was good for about one playthrough before the shortcomings really started to become glaring. Fallout 3 remains relatively playable. I think the TES setting as it exists presently is pretty generic and doesn't give them a lot to work with. I'd like to know who the principal designers are, at least. Emil from FO3 is probably their greatest asset, to be honest.
In any case, when has any non-scripted character interaction in a video game not been numeric?  The only difference between TES and other games is that they make it really transparent.
Not at all. The thing with other games is that they're not trying to go as broad as Bethsoft does. In terms of choice and consequence (dun dun dunnn) other games will often give you direct feedback for your character actions - NPCs will comment directly on your character's identity, his or her skills, an the choices they've made. Up until FO3 Bethsoft was the absolute weakest studio in the industry in terms of this. They offered so much player choice in terms of character creation that all interface between character identity and the gameworld was sanded away, rendering the choice meaningless beyond skill stats and abilities. For example, in Icewind Dale 2 or Arcanum or Dragon Age, characters will comment on the PC's race / gender / class in conversation. In the latter two games, racism exists in the game world and it is directly stated against the PC. In TES games, conversations around the PC are as general as possible (beyond stock "Hello Breton / Greetings Dunmer / Nice to see you Nord" greetings) and all feelings about the player's identity and actions are numerical in nature. People are prejudiced against Dunmer? Play as a dark elf and go around talking to people, they will not think highly of you, but for reasons that are never stated, it's a simple mechanical check for race leading to a dock in universal disposition. In many cases the way they address you and speak to you may remain unchanged from normal but when it comes to dealing with the character in other ways the character will not be predisposed to you. You may as well be someone who just never bathes. The game never tells you beyond the fact that this person has only 30/100 Liking You points. Feed them a number of 10 gold bribes (Morrowind) or play a contrived minigame (Oblivion) and in less than 5 minutes you can completely turn their feelings for you around, and it will be as though the factors that led them to dislike in the first place never existed.

They create these big, unwieldy worlds and, in TES anyway, they've never figured out how to make the character interaction compelling, because they've needed a universal system that is easily implemented across the entire game to cut down on otherwise stratospheric development time. Unfortunately that system has really sucked in practice. In FO3 they were actively trying to follow the example of the older games of the series in terms of how you interacted with the world, and the game was much, much better for it. Barring some big changes to the TES system I'm skeptical of the amount of progress they can make. It's certainly a possibility, but I don't know the extent to which they're open to letting the FO3 design into TES. Hopefully more than a little.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2011, 19:05 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #117 on: 08 Jan 2011, 19:15 »

Ah, ok.  I misread that and thought you meant that there was something in character interactions in other games that wasn't decided by a variable or group of variables.  You're right, the games haven't been good about giving players a direct hint or message as to why they're unliked (except in the case of vampires, hehehe), but in my case, I was able to figure out the gist of it after reading a few books in-game.  There's a pretty solid history for the setting, it just involves finding the books and reading them; it's not quite as handfed to players as in other games.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #118 on: 08 Jan 2011, 19:20 »

I definitely agree with pretty much all of that, John.  It's one of those things you don't really notice until you see it, then you can't unsee it, and everyone feels creepy and fake to you.  Having basically the one voice for everyone didn't help, either.  I would definitely like to see someone who just straight up won't deal with you because of your race, and makes it plain that that is why he's doing it.  No "I don't want to talk to you right now" or whatever, more like "Get out of here you filthy Dunmer" or "You scum killed my father in the Marshes, get out of my sight" (etc) and you have to find some other way to talk to them, like pay a mage to disguise you or get a proxy to talk for you.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #119 on: 08 Jan 2011, 20:11 »

If only Bethsoft would hire Woody Allen to write for Max, that would be awesome.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #120 on: 08 Jan 2011, 20:31 »

That would be sweet.  What would be even better is if he said it in character as King Osric.

A little update on what is known about Radiant Story, since it's obviously got a lot of implications:
Quote from: snip
Radiant Story in which if you kill a shopkeeper and he gave a quest, his daughter might inherit the shop and if she knows that you killed her father, she may not give you the quest that her father would have given you. If you killed him inside a secluded house and no one discovered you then she won't know you killed him and thus will be willing to give you the quest.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2011, 10:21 by Dimmukane »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #121 on: 10 Jan 2011, 18:56 »

I would prefer there to be far worse implications, like her just not dealing/talking to you at all other than to shout at you to leave her alone.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #122 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:20 »

It seems like a bit of a co-out. Yeah, you can kill people but you can still get the same stuff.

What would be neat is if some shops did Beth's thing, some threatened you when you walked in, and some just sat there abandoned and eventually had skooma junkies camp out.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #123 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:37 »

They may very well do that.  Since towns can be ravaged by dragons there's a pretty strong possibility that shops and houses might become abandoned until other NPCs find the place and move in.  It's just one scenario that was mentioned in the article; I imagine the NPCs are gonna be a bit more dynamic than I'll give you this quest/won't give you this quest because you killed my dad.  Bethsoft's probably going do some kind of video later showing just to what extent that whole system's gonna work.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #124 on: 11 Jan 2011, 00:02 »

It's quite unlikely that the game will give the player permanent severe repercussions for events within the gameworld, especially when Radiant AI sort of inherently promises that such events can happen without the player's input. They've backtracked on such things consistently in the past and for legitimate reasons (most developers do the same thing, especially in this age of "diplomatic" and "harsh" solutions that chalk up to relatively equivalent outcomes). It's bad design. It's detrimental to the player experience - for evidence, read any player account of STALKER: Clear Sky, which was about as close to a Radiant AI game as we'll see. Total chaos. But it sounds good on paper.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #125 on: 11 Jan 2011, 03:20 »

How did stuff work out in Clear Sky? I know that at least Shadow of Chernobyl (which I'm playing now) did something like that - anyone could and probably would die - quest givers and targets. They included some mechanisms to work around this - important quest givers was surrounded by allies, and would be okay unless you killed them or joined the opposing faction. if you had a quest goal to go see someone, and they died before you got there, you could check their PDA for the info you were looking for. If a quest giver died and you were doing a quest for them, you could still finish the job, and the money would get mailed to you. It's a brilliant shooter that manages a game world where shit goes down without your influence excellently. They could have fucked that up in Clear Sky, I've got that sitting on steam, so I might as well check it out once I'm done with SoC.

Anyways, it'll probably be hard to translate that kind of success to TES if Bethesda is going with what they seem to think is a good idea - voiced NPCs, every NPC (except guards) custom built etc. You simply won't have enough people to pick from to create a living, breathing world that's interesting enough to be an improvement over Oblivion.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #126 on: 11 Jan 2011, 13:25 »

I just got done reading the the GI article and I'm really excited now. If they deliver on 1/5 of the things they said, it'll probably be my GOTY.

I am ridiculously easy to please though.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #127 on: 11 Jan 2011, 15:22 »

I didn't say nothing about permanent repercussions...some areas might just be a little empty for a while before other NPCs move in.

I've been keeping up on the Game Informer updates as they roll out; today was some videos with their lead sound guy.  Some more voice over from Max von Sydow (really good, I might add), part of the new soundtrack (also really good), and the only clip of in-game footage so far: a Dwemer Centurion uncurling.  If that single animation is any indicator, the rest of the animations are WAY better than previous entries in the series.  Also, it means Dwemer ruins are back.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 16:07 by Dimmukane »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #128 on: 14 Jan 2011, 17:09 »

Looking through the gameinformer stuff, it's quite clear that they're really going for the great epic feel this time around. Fighting dragons with a backdrop of a choir singing the TES theme? Yeah.

Hope they can pull it off.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #129 on: 14 Jan 2011, 17:25 »

Game Informer expanded their site to include videos about the sound in the game. Gotta say von Sydow's VA sounds better (and better written) than anything in Oblivion.

Also looks like Dwemer Ruins will be back, so it's already 10x the game Oblivion was in terms of setting.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 17:30 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #130 on: 14 Jan 2011, 19:49 »

Techno Viking's in the 4th video clip.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #131 on: 15 Jan 2011, 08:49 »

Am I the only one that has flash player crash constantly while watching those videos? It's the only place I've ever had the problem, and it happens at average once per video. I'm using chrome, but that should probably not be an issue.

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #132 on: 15 Jan 2011, 14:08 »

Happens with me too on Firefox.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #133 on: 16 Jan 2011, 00:54 »

If this game lets me run around with a bearded axe fucking up monsters pulled straight from Norse mythology then that is all I need.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #134 on: 16 Jan 2011, 16:45 »

Also any SA users if you value your sanity avoid the Skyrim thread in games

*enters thread through saloon-style double doors*
*blasted back out by giant SPERG in Impact font*

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #135 on: 17 Jan 2011, 17:01 »

The latest Game Informer update goes into a little bit of the technical improvements they've made.  There's a little bit about how they apply a snow shader to the world based on what objects it's hitting, how individual branches in trees will react to wind differently, some stuff about HUGE draw distances and having dynamic lighting on everything...then it gets into the AI bit.  I'm gonna boil up some copypasta:

Quote from: Game Informer
You won't find townspeople loitering aimlessly in town squares anymore. Each denizen performs tasks that make sense in their environment. To impart the towns and cities with a greater sense of life, Bethesda has populated them with mills, farms, and mines that give the NPCs believable tasks to occupy their day. In the forest village we visited during the demo, most of the citizens were hard at work chopping wood, running logs through the mill, and carrying goods through the town.

The improved Radiant AI technology is also more aware of how a citizen should react to your actions. As you perform tasks for them or terrorize them by ransacking their home, the NPCs develop feelings about you. If you're good friends with a particular NPC and barge into his house during the middle of the night, he may offer you lodging rather than demand you leave the premises. “Your friend would let you eat the apple in his house,” Howard says. If you swing your weapon near an NPC, knock items off their dinner table, or try to steal something of value, they'll react with an appropriate level of hostility given their prior relationship to you.

**snip snip animation bit**

The increased animation fidelity and diversity has enabled Bethesda to ditch the awkward dialogue camera perspective that paused the game and presented you with an extreme closeup of the person with whom you were speaking. Now camera stays in the same perspective used during combat and exploration, and players are free to look around while engaging in conversation. Rather than drop their activities to give you their undivided attention, the NPCs continue to go about their business while in discussion. For instance, a barkeep may continue to clean cups while talking, and even move from behind the counter to a seat. A mill worker chopping wood may engage in conversation without turning away from his duties, only occasionally glancing toward you during the exchange.

Perhaps the most impressive use of the Behavior technology is how Bethesda is using it to create the dragon animations. Bethesda has worked meticulously to make sure the beasts look powerful and menacing when banking, flapping their wings, gaining altitude before making another strafing run, and breathing fire on their hapless victims. None of the dragons' actions are scripted, and Behavior helps make the movements look non-mechanical, even when the dragons are speaking/shouting.

**snip snip Radiant Story bit**

“Traditionally in an assassination quest, we would pick someone of interest and have you assassinate them,” Howard says. “Now there is a template for an assassination mission and the game can conditionalize all the roles – where it happens, under what conditions does it take place, who wants someone assassinated, and who they want assassinated. All this can be generated based on where the character is, who he's met. They can conditionalize that someone who you've done a quest for before wants someone assassinated, and the target could be someone with whom you've spent a lot of time before.”

The Radiant Story system also helps deal with untimely deaths. Predicting player behavior in an open world is tough, as many often stray from the main quests and get into trouble by murdering quest givers. In Skyrim, if you kill a shop owner who had a few quests to offer if you spend the time to get to know him, his sister may take over the shop and offer the quest that was formerly ascribed to him. The quest logic automatically picks up with pre-recorded voice work because Bethesda already assigned her that contingency role. Tread lightly though, because she's not oblivious to your dastardly actions. She will still recognize you killed her brother and perhaps even try to exact revenge later in the game.

Radiant Story is also smart enough to know which caves and dungeons you've already visited and thus conditionalize where, for instance, a kidnapped person is being held to direct you toward a specific place you haven't been to before, populated with a specific level of enemy. This helps Bethesda avoid repetition and usher the player into areas the team wants you to explore.

Radiant Story doesn't limit these new missions to encounters in towns. Like in Fallout 3 and Red Dead Redemption, a lot of random events occur while you're exploring the wilderness as well. "There are a wide variety of these random encounters," says design director Bruce Nesmith. "Many of them are things the player can interact with, some are not. You might save a priest who then tells you about a dungeon where there are people trapped that need saving. You might run across mammoth beset by a pack of wolves."

The article itself seems to be affected by Radiant AI, because that last paragraph has had a few different sentences thrown in.  Something about giants asking the player for help hunting mammoths or whatever.

Also included was this screenshot:

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #136 on: 17 Jan 2011, 17:10 »

This could be great, but I'm worried that it's going to be buggy as all shit.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

ackblom12

« Reply #137 on: 17 Jan 2011, 17:13 »

It will be buggy as all shit, this is guaranteed. It is just kind of the natural way of things with most CRPGs.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #138 on: 17 Jan 2011, 17:18 »

i'm excited. How excited?

This excited:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :-D :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #139 on: 17 Jan 2011, 20:14 »

that's pretty damn excited

I am likewise excited to a comparable if not necessarily equal degree
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #140 on: 17 Jan 2011, 20:51 »

But I like my untimely deaths :(
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #141 on: 17 Jan 2011, 21:41 »

The only thing now is, getting all that to work on console hardware. Ever wondered why the Strip in New Vegas is broken up into, like, three 200-square yard chunks? It's because if the areas were any bigger the Xbox architecture would freak the fuck out, what with the lights and all. Even with a new engine, I'm skeptical. There's only so much optimization you can get away with.

If there's a silver lining to the "consoling" of games, it's that a PC rig that was top of the line 3 or 4 years ago can still handle most new games with ease. That was not the case 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2011, 22:02 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #142 on: 17 Jan 2011, 22:33 »

No kidding. When my motherboard died last year it really only cost me around $300 to have a half decent system up and running again since my video card survived the incident. Back in '98 I would have been like "Man, I'm in high school and there's no way dad is pitching in on a $1,500 PC again."
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2011, 22:36 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #143 on: 17 Jan 2011, 22:46 »

You also have to consider that the original engine was only running on final hardware for 6 months before being shipped and had barely any optimization to speak of.  And there wasn't a lot of time between Oblivion and Fallout 3 for much, either.  If they can implement a good culling solution they will most likely be able to do away with splitting the world into chunks.  They also might be getting some help from the folks at id.  Not that you're wrong, I'm just saying they've got a lot of room for improvement and have had plenty of time to do it so far.

Someone on the bethsoft forums pointed out something I was already thinking: the original incarnation of Gamebryo had no object culling, just backface culling.  Basically the whole reason for all the chunks; everything in that chunk was being rendered even while it was offscreen.  Nowadays (and I'd bet this is what they did with Skyrim) most games use some form of frustrum culling, which stops the rendering of objects offscreen, more or less.  Just doing that alone would allow lots more geometry on screen at once with the same resource budget, let alone better LOD techniques.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2011, 16:33 by Dimmukane »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #144 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:07 »

A few thoughts:
- henceforth I'm going to call their new conversation mode "Law and Order" questions mode, because god damn it you fucking cretins, stop what you are doing for a moment when I'm trying to ask you some goddamned questions
- the idea of different types/severity of reaction depending on how well you know someone is a welcome addition, if they can do it properly
- generating the location of quests based on your level so that there will be level-appropriate enemies, instead of just levelling up the fucking world to suit you is a very welcome change, if that is what they mean by that

I am still tentatively excited but expecting to be let down on some of the more interesting ideas.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #145 on: 24 Feb 2011, 09:53 »

Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #146 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:34 »

OMG.

Give Obsidian that shit, make me a Fallout 4. Make this happen, you fucks.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #147 on: 24 Feb 2011, 11:38 »

Srsly, Bethsoft should just have this as their flagship title and let Obsid have Fallout as theirs. It's for the best.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #148 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:06 »

Ok yeah gimme

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW