THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 20:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Fight Dragons - Welcome To The Breakdown  (Read 3712 times)

StarF

• Plantmonster
    • Scrub Club Records
I Fight Dragons - Welcome To The Breakdown
« on: 01 Dec 2010, 14:51 »

I Fight Dragons just released their new EP, Welcome To The Breakdown, yesterday! I just got it and finished listening to it, and it's seriously one of the best releases I've heard in quite some time. Honestly the only thing I could even think of to say that's bad is that it's short. Musically everything is top notch superb, and I really want everyone to support this band because they are definitely one of the best to come around in a long time. Unique, catchy, good lyrics, fun people, there's really nothing not to love about I Fight Dragons.

So please, go support this amazing band, and buy their new EP. It'll be worth your money, I promise!

<3 StarF

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: I Fight Dragons - Welcome To The Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2010, 14:56 »

Trying way too hard.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2010, 14:57 by Tom »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:06 »

who are you?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

StarF

• Plantmonster
    • Scrub Club Records
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:09 »

I am a person who enjoys listening to I Fight Dragons, and seeing as how this is a board called "Music Talk" I'm talking about music that I enjoy and I feel others would enjoy.

*Shrug*
<3 StarF

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:14 »

Will definitely check it out in a bit, when the boss leaves.

In the mean time I'll just say that at first I thought this thread was going to be about the song "Why I Fight Dragons" by Mountains For Clouds, a math rock band. It's a pretty dang good song, if you're into that sort of thing.

now here's a t-rex  :mrgreen:
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #5 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:15 »

I mean could you at least link us to a song so that we can hear them? You didn't even describe what they sound like?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

StarF

• Plantmonster
    • Scrub Club Records
« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:17 »

I mean could you at least link us to a song so that we can hear them? You didn't even describe what they sound like?

Fair enough, that's my bad.

They're a nintendo rock band.

Here's the title track from the new EP
<3 StarF

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #7 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:18 »

At first I was inclined to hate them for having a really stupid band name but then I looked them up and although I still dislike them they would have fitted in perfectly in the early '00s. Sadly it's now about 7+ years too late for this group.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #8 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:22 »

i feel like you just made this band up
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #9 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:23 »

I made it a minute into that song before I  :psyduck:

neat album cover though
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:31 »

Actually, I rather liked it  :-P
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

StarF

• Plantmonster
    • Scrub Club Records
« Reply #11 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:42 »

Like I am about as far from an authority figure on this forum as you can get but this really strikes me as kind of a dick move, like running into a stranger's house and putting on your own mixtape.

This isn't my band. o_O
<3 StarF

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #12 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:45 »

Friend, the problem here is that we've recently had an influx of spambots, quite crafty spambots who make posts that read like real people actually wrote them! So when a brand new person comes in with only a very very tiny number of posts and starts exuberantly advertising a band nobody here has heard of, we start to get suspicious. Nobody's really at fault, it's just the way things are playing out here at the moment due to recent circumstances. So thankyou for taking the time to introduce us to new music, but in future try to remember: spend a bit of time around the place first, post in a few threads, let us get to know you and see that you're an okay person to have around, then start introducing us to music.

That said, the thread's here now so let's just accept it, okay everyone?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #13 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:47 »

Hey Jens, don't be a dick yourself.

Here's a newbie who's showing some enthusiasm, and is responding sensibly to what people say.  Sure, we know nothing of his taste yet, but how about being polite and finding out by looking at what he offers?  You might hate the stuff, of course, but there are presumably regulars who recommend stuff you hate too.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

StarF

• Plantmonster
    • Scrub Club Records
« Reply #14 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:51 »

Also I would post a review of the album, but I just got it today and so I haven't fully absorbed it yet, but here's a brief rundown of why I like it:

I Fight Dragons has been on my list of "watch out for new releases from this artist" since their first EP, Cool Is Just A Number, thanks to their ability to blend chiptune elements flawlessly into rock music. Not only is this cool enough on its own, but the fact that when they perform live they actually play the chiptune elements on various game controllers modified into a monstrous chiptune instrument dubbed "the octopod" (As it had eight 'arms'). This new EP is definitely a step up from their first release, and shows a progression I'm glad to see, and I hope they follow with (Though I am sad that Laura, the female singer, left the band).

The music is very upbeat and catchy, and rocks hard without being entirely overpowering. Once again IFD has reached a perfect balance between rock and chiptunes. The lyrics, while not the most amazing lyrics I've ever seen, at least offer a positive message (Something not nearly enough artists do these days), and are not by any means bad. Plus they did a cover of "The Power Of Love," as well as  the theme from The Legend of Zelda.

Some people may not appreciate this band, but I certainly do enjoy them, and will continue to follow their music.

^_^
<3 StarF

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 01 Dec 2010, 19:06 »

Yeah the albums art is great. The synthy part during the chorus of that song on youtube is kind of spooky.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #16 on: 01 Dec 2010, 21:01 »

I really like chiptunes but hate crappy, generic pop-punk, so I was torn on these guys when I heard them a few years back. The Zelda cover they do is pretty badass. I'll give them that.

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #17 on: 02 Dec 2010, 13:32 »

I like the album art more than I like the music. I am not a big pop-punk fan but I do like pixels!
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos
Pages: [1]   Go Up