THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marty seems like the kinda guy...  (Read 3085 times)

Nick and Marla

• Plantmonster
Marty seems like the kinda guy...
« on: 16 Jan 2011, 18:39 »

who'd go to shows at least every once in a little while. What's up with that? He hasn't gone to one in what seems like years. Weeeeeiiiirrrrd.
If I'm being an jerk, I'm Nick.

TheEvilDog

Re: Marty seems like the kinda guy...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2011, 19:54 »

I think it has to do with the way that a lot of bands or musical styles might seem popular at the time, but like many things can become very dated, very quickly, which itself can make the comic seem dated as well.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2011, 21:03 »

There's also the fact that Marten probably doesn't have a lot of spare cash, and shows can get quite expensive.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2011, 21:18 »

He used to, quite a lot: 332.

Good question there. EDIT: and a good first post!

EDIT: come to think of it, he hasn't updated his music blog in a long time. Setting aside the possible explanation that Jeph just got tired of it, which is true but boring, let's pretend that this says something about Marten. He's not writing about music, he's not going to shows as far as we know, he hasn't filled the vacancies in the band. Is Marten losing his interest in music, or is he withdrawing from life in general?
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2011, 02:31 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

leahneedsanap

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2011, 03:00 »

If Jeph wrote a plot where something happened at a show, it seems like it is a lot easier to move things along by having the characters just talk about it afterwards, the way Natasha did when her conversation with Amir just rehashed what happened at a concert instead of us getting a random one-off where we saw Natasha kick some dude in the face and then have it referenced later.  If Jeph at some point wants to write a show plot and thought it would be fun to draw I'm sure he would do it, but since he seems a lot more interested in the interpersonal side of things now there's not a whole lot of reason to make it A Big Thing.

Also the whole timing/date issue, since time in the comic doesn't move at real time, as has already been noted, which probably explains why we don't hear them make as many Hipster Music Jokes as they used to.

Also, Marten stopped writing his blog because.... Pintsize started refusing to do transcription in anything but a militant German accent, and it made Marten feel like a music Nazi, which made him think his talents could surely be put to better use, causing him to start secretly looking for a new job at Pitchfork.

(Obviously)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2011, 14:58 »

Seems to me he hasn't gone to shows since he stared dating Dora. Like many guys when they start dating someone, he probably stopped doing many things that took away from time with his girlfriend. Since Dora was never the "music hipster" that he was, she probably wasn't as interested in going to concerts as he was, and so he most likely stopped going as well, since he'd rather hang out with the lady who's having sex with him than go to a concert alone ( as would most guys).
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2011, 19:32 »

Just because we never saw it doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

But I do  wonder if they ever made it to this concert
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up