Lobotomy.
- 17 (16.5%)
Coffee.
- 3 (2.9%)
Never.
- 9 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 6-10 Dec 2010 (1811-1815)  (Read 149854 times)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
Re: WCDT: 6-10 Dec 2010 (1811-1815)
« Reply #50 on: 06 Dec 2010, 02:15 »

Maybe not everything, Tai, but he does get to be a dick about this after all your goddam squirrely come-ons to Dora. You were as annoying as all hell.

I suppose I'm alone in not being clear why this is the 'straw' for Marten. I mean, yes, it would be for me, but my mother's…special. Veronica, for all her uniqueness, doesn't strike me as such.

On the other hand, I suppose it could be just that general having to face reality I was talking about last week when everyone was jumping Marten for whining about the loss of  his free lunch.

First, it's through at least two layers of clothing, and second, where her hand is, it would have to be on the side of his rib cage. Does Marten have a vestigial nipple I'm not recalling the explanation for?
Yeah... Almost in his armpit. Is Marten related to that guy in "The Man With The Golden Gun"?
I'm wondering if am I the only other person on this thread who knows Scaramanga is supposed to have three nipples.

Edit. Apparently I'm not going to be able to sleep until I say this. Tergon, I usually find your posts interesting, but that one about mothers reads like a miserable Hellmark card. Sheesh. Not everyone has a special relationship with their mother, and for some that do, 'special' has a vastly different connotation than the one you're trying to give it. Lets try to stick to Marten's relationship to his mother, shall we?

Damn. It is the Holidays, ain't it?
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 02:33 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #51 on: 06 Dec 2010, 02:36 »

I'm wondering if am I the only other person on this thread who knows Scaramanga is supposed to have three nipples.

On the contrary mr. Bon.. urgh.. raoulelfere.
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #52 on: 06 Dec 2010, 02:48 »

Oh well, things will be awkward for a while :-/

benenator

• Plantmonster
  • The time for ends has ended.
« Reply #53 on: 06 Dec 2010, 02:49 »

If/when Marten finally does lose his cool, all of his friends and his mother will have to come together to get him to calm down.

And when they do, they MUST pose as a team.

Because shit will have gotten real.

Forger of the One-Over-Infinity Earlobe Mace.

If you want to know about me, read my entry in the "Hi, I'm new!" forum. :roll:

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #54 on: 06 Dec 2010, 03:38 »

The Tai Book Of Diffusing Emo Moments
I'm pretty sure her intention is not to spread it. Rather to soothe it. In other words, to defuse it.

I'm sorry...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #55 on: 06 Dec 2010, 05:20 »

You do realise that it's probably Tai's arm that felt the nipple. Its not like your sense of touch just magically stops at the wrist.

Also..... CLEAR THE TOWNSPEOPLE! THE MARTEN DAM IS ABOUT TO BURST! FLEE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! MAN THE DINGIES!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #56 on: 06 Dec 2010, 06:20 »

...And for God's sake, HIDE THE AMMUNITION!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Rinkca

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #57 on: 06 Dec 2010, 06:20 »

I think this is almost the straw for Marten, breaking up with Dora.
But I think the FINAL straw will be his mother.
He worked hard to stay with Dora through aaaaaall her drama and was constantly stepping on his own pride saying sorry for stupid things that were all her fault. (Not against her, but we all know she's a tad whiney)
Now, after all his effort, she dumps him, so he feels pretty trodden on again but this time not by himself.
So, now he's in this gap where he feels lonely and wants to be alone (reference his ignoring Faye and locking himself in his room and his attemp of alienating comments with Tai)
His mother's coming down to baby him now. He clearly does not want her there and he's a grown man. How would you feel? Maybe. . . suffocated?
Also, with Tai's 'mistakes' in their conversation: We have to remember Tai's a lot younger and into polygamy so maybe she doesn't understand what Marten feels like or isn't mature enough to understand.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #58 on: 06 Dec 2010, 06:27 »

Oh no, we're just scratching the surface. He hasn't lost it quite yet.

Also, how did Tai manage to feel Marty's nipple through his shirt and a hoodie? It must be freezing in the library.
Hey, older building, bad heating, desk is probably close to the door which constantly is opening and closing...

EDIT: And she was apparently rubbing his chest to hug him and - "Whoops! Found a nipple!"

THIS MUST BE ON A NEW T-SHIRT!
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 06:35 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #59 on: 06 Dec 2010, 06:37 »

What's the ONE THING you're looking forward to this week?

Veronica's reappearance.    - 28 (29.5%)
Dora's SHEER TERROR.    - 21 (22.1%)
Marty standing up to mom (?!)    - 8 (8.4%)
Tai discovering WHO Marty's mom is.    - 9 (9.5%) <Whoops, looks like she already knows...>
Hannelore finding out who Marty's mom IS.    - 11 (11.6%)
Two words: YELLING BIRD.    - 1 (1.1%)
TEH DRAMAZ!!!!11!!!!    - 7 (7.4%)
Mmm, Waffles.    - 8 (8.4%)
MOAR PINTSIZE!    - 2 (2.1%)

Total Voters: 95
Just another Joe like 46

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #60 on: 06 Dec 2010, 06:45 »

Where is the "Crying on Jimbo's shoulder" option in the poll?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

shengokai

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #61 on: 06 Dec 2010, 07:46 »

Also, with Tai's 'mistakes' in their conversation: We have to remember Tai's a lot younger and into polygamy so maybe she doesn't understand what Marten feels like or isn't mature enough to understand.

That's what I'm thinking. Tai is too young (or doesn't have the right experience) to understand what Marten is going through. She might have been through some hurts, but it doesn't seem like Tai has ever been through this kind of break-up before.

With regards to Momma Vance showing up, I dunno, it might be the best thing for Marten: he was going on about how he couldn't go back to CoD and so on; Ms. Vance might be able to fix all that by pulling the "mommy loves you" card and acting as a go-between for Marten and Dora, more so than any of the other cast because they're so involved. Except Marigold, who is likely occupied with Cata.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #62 on: 06 Dec 2010, 08:00 »

...And for God's sake, HIDE THE AMMUNITION!

No, that would be....counterproductive.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

DJRubberducky

• Plantmonster
  • The Flash liked me better when I made poopy noises
« Reply #63 on: 06 Dec 2010, 08:28 »

If it does play out that way, it's not going to be pleasant for Marten.  It might be embarassing, he might say some things he'll regret, he might make a scene... hopefully nobody else will be a witness.  I think Ms. Reed has more tact than to let anyone else see it.

Well, obviously I can't say that I *know* she does, having not yet discovered how to interact directly with fictional characters, but given that Veronica Vance is a professional dominatrix as well as a fetish model, and is apparently very successful at both, I am *very* confident that Marten's mom is capable of keeping secrets.  Heck, depending on how good business is for her as a dom, that one senator dude might not have needed to pay her extra to keep his fetish out of the tabloids, because if it ever got out that *she* was the one who blabbed, other clients might choose to take their business elsewhere so they can be better assured of discretion.

carg1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #64 on: 06 Dec 2010, 08:53 »

Man, hard not to feel pretty bad for him.  He seems more miserable than when he had that crap office job.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #65 on: 06 Dec 2010, 09:28 »

It must be colder than a welldigger's ass in that library if Tai was able to feel a nipple through Marten's shirt and sweatshirt.

Either that or Tai's touch is well tuned to sense nipples. I was gonna say `Tai's fingers', but it looks like it's her forearm that hit the spot.

I like the idea that Tai is a professional nipple-dowser in her off time. She helps those who cannot find the nipple on their own, like the blind(?), or young college kids who are having their first intimate experience(??), or...or the ACTUAL Scaramanga or something(?!). It's how she helps pay for college.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 09:42 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Cammy

• Plantmonster
  • Huzzah!
    • Cammy's Comic Corner
« Reply #66 on: 06 Dec 2010, 09:35 »

Marten should take Sven up on the jam session, then totally smash his guitar after the first note.

It'd be totally punk-rawk.
Cammy's Comic Corner
with
CammyKnoxville
every
Sunday
Cammy's Comic Corner - Holiday Gift Suggestions

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #67 on: 06 Dec 2010, 09:59 »

Marten should take Sven up on the jam session, then totally smash his guitar after the first note.

I think that would be kind of a dick move to poor Sven. Like, cathartic for Marten and all, sure, but here's Sven, who thought that maybe he has a new friend to commiserate with and write songs, and dude is just like BAM! GUITAR PIECES ALL OVER YOUR APARTMENT! USING YOUR TISSUES TO CRY! LEAVING YOU WITH A MESS BECAUSE FUCK YOU, YOU SLEPT WITH MY FRIEND THAT ONE TIME! And Sven is all sad. :(
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

flamingo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #68 on: 06 Dec 2010, 12:53 »

Damn, Marten
Wear a bra!

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #69 on: 06 Dec 2010, 13:09 »

I think that would be kind of a dick move to poor Sven. Like, cathartic for Marten and all, sure, but here's Sven, who thought that maybe he has a new friend to commiserate with and write songs, and dude is just like BAM! GUITAR PIECES ALL OVER YOUR APARTMENT! USING YOUR TISSUES TO CRY! LEAVING YOU WITH A MESS BECAUSE FUCK YOU, YOU SLEPT WITH MY FRIEND THAT ONE TIME! And Sven is all sad. :(

Sven: Oh, I slept with your friend way more than "that one time."

Nah Marty wouldn't be a dick enough to just leave without cleaning up the mess. He'd go postal, break the guitar while screaming the worst profanity you can imagine, stand there panting for a minute as the dust settles, then be like "wow. That felt good. Sorry man, had to get that out of my system. Where's your vacuum?"

On a side note, it annoys me to no end when people spell rock "rawk."
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 13:10 by iduguphergrave »
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Insectile

• Plantmonster
« Reply #70 on: 06 Dec 2010, 13:12 »

I'm excited for the new Tai/Veronica relationship that will inevitably happen.
This is not a discussion forum, it's a forum dedicated to the art of performing textual fellatio of Jeph Jacques.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #71 on: 06 Dec 2010, 13:20 »

Wonder whether Marten's mom came running after things went south with Marten's previous gf (the one he moved across the country for). If not, why is she coming now? If yes, well, damn why can't she leave the man alone to handle his pain the way a grown man usually does?

Namely, get completely wasted, get in a barfight, and either wake up in an alley not remembering how he got there, or screw the first girl that looks at him sideways, depending on how drunk he gets. Or, he could maybe get some therapy or spend a few nights alone in his room crying himself to sleep (most likely both).
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

allanjm

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #72 on: 06 Dec 2010, 13:55 »

Maybe not everything, Tai, but he does get to be a dick about this after all your goddam squirrely come-ons to Dora. You were as annoying as all hell.

I suppose I'm alone in not being clear why this is the 'straw' for Marten. I mean, yes, it would be for me, but my mother's…special. Veronica, for all her uniqueness, doesn't strike me as such.

Given that Dora's father 1044 and Dora 1047 are such big "fans" of Marten's Mom, I am not surprised this would be a sore point.  Add Tai's behavior around Dora and it's no wonder he's snappy.

And as a side note Matsumi Max has four nipples.  Warning GIS is probably NSFW.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #73 on: 06 Dec 2010, 13:59 »

Wonder whether Marten's mom came running after things went south with Marten's previous gf (the one he moved across the country for). If not, why is she coming now?

That's a good point, esp. as it would have made more sense for Marten to go back to the west coast (instead of MartenMom buying a round-trip ticket for herself she could have bought a one-way ticket for Marten)

Maybe MartedDad came through town and took Marten on a skiing trip with Dad2DadHarder.

Now MartenMom wants her chance at playing rescue.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #74 on: 06 Dec 2010, 14:00 »

It must be colder than a welldigger's ass in that library if Tai was able to feel a nipple through Marten's shirt and sweatshirt.

Either that or Tai's touch is well tuned to sense nipples. I was gonna say `Tai's fingers', but it looks like it's her forearm that hit the spot.

Exactly!  Reading the earlier posts, I was like "Do you guys not have nerve endings in your arms?"  That would be disquieting indeed.  (OMG FLOATING HANDS.)  And regarding Marten being able to feel that . . . I will just say that nipple sensitivity varies wildly from person to person.  Yes, including guys.  Pros and cons in all cases.

I can't say I'm completely "clear" on why either, since I'm waiting for what Jeph depicts for us, but I would not be surprised to discover that Ms. Reed is rather . . . controlling.  There are reasons one has an aptitude for certain things, and while his mom has seemed mature enough when she previously visited, she was certainly willing to swoop in and make decisions for Marten (example: calling him in sick for work).  Whatever she ends up doing, Marten clearly doesn't want to deal with her, and the very fact that she bought her plane tickets while he was still talking to her on the phone shows that she didn't consider the possibility that he might not want her there (or if she did consider that, she dismissed it as unimportant), so she's already making decisions without asking for his input, pre-emptively dismissing his opinion as irrelevant.  This behavior is among the things that will push Marten's buttons.  Poor guy is in for a bumpy ride, but it could result in a catharsis he needs.

I voted for 'Crying on Jimbo's shoulder' because even non-shipped, it's hilariously maudlin.   :-D  The character expressions continue to be excellent, too, and the Worry Hat must be fun to draw!  (How long before the Worry Hat is available for purchase at Topatoco?)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #75 on: 06 Dec 2010, 14:03 »

Seriously: think of a time when you were on a ragged edge, stressed out, emotions boiling over like crazy... and then think what would have happened if you were alone in a room with your mother, and she could see how obviously upset you were.  Nobody would be able to hold out.  Mothers are very, very powerful things.

Agree 100%. Last time I was in this situation, I very very nearly shot her. I was considering beating her to death, but I left instead, so there would be at least one person left to take care of my dad.

I am neither exaggerating for effect or using hyperbolic language.

I am quite confused by the last two panels. My current hypothesis is that Tai accidently did a 'breast grab' reach instead of a 'platonic friend' reach.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 06 Dec 2010, 14:12 »

Well I said this last week and I think its worth repeating; Jeph has said that Marten and Dora dated for around a year, meaning it's been a year since Ms. Reed has seen her son. Sure she wants to help him out through this tough time, but I also think she just might be missing her only son and wants to see him.

In Carl E's Marten's Fundamental Character thread, he also talks about Marten's mom's personality, and I'll say here what I said there:

If Veronica was a truly controlling mother, there would have been a deep, deep schism cut between them when he moved to Northampton, and Marten probably wouldn't have been looking reasonably pleased to see her when she first arrived to visit. Also, she would have been way more antagonistic towards Faye. Look at their interaction together here.  Veronica is relaxed and reasonable. She even says "My son is a grown man and can make his own decisions." Not something a control freak would say. The threat against Faye comes after she speaks as a rational human being; only after that does she let the protective mother take over.

Throughout the visit, Veronica is relaxed and rational. When they have some alone time, Marten seems quite calm and comfortable around her. I don't think Veronica was a domineering mother. Something tells me she reserved her domineering side for her job only.

The only reason Marten's not happy about his mother visiting now is because remember, his girlfriend broke up with him less than 20 hours ago and he's got a lot of negative feelings battling around inside him right now. He doesn't need more stress which, lets face it, parents are often the source of (no offense to the parents in this forum).
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 14:14 by iduguphergrave »
- Alvin

kattyc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 06 Dec 2010, 14:27 »

Wait, does Tai definitely not know that Marten's mom is Veronica Vance? She seemed pretty excited to meet her. (Or is that just supposed to be regular friends-meeting-friends'-parents excitement?)

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #78 on: 06 Dec 2010, 14:53 »

@Iduguphergrave

As a dude with a highly controlling mother, I've got to disagree. You're making logical leaps that don't exist. Controlling behavior can be extremely subtle, while still being very stressful and even painful for other people it's being used on.

If she IS controlling, and there are hints in the matter but no more, then it seems likely that while Marten does love her, he is also very stressed out by her being around. He's also probably extremely sensitive to her criticism, and he's seeing a lot of that coming down the pipe towards him. Marten probably is expecting much the same thing all the people wanting Veronica to absolutely destroy Dora, except that of course he's not at all happy about the idea.

Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #79 on: 06 Dec 2010, 15:04 »

I agree with Boomslang-Marten is most likely expecting some kind of ugly confrontation between Dora and his mother, and he is most definitely NOT looking forward to it.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #80 on: 06 Dec 2010, 15:23 »

@Iduguphergrave

As a dude with a highly controlling mother, I've got to disagree. You're making logical leaps that don't exist. Controlling behavior can be extremely subtle, while still being very stressful and even painful for other people it's being used on.

If she IS controlling, and there are hints in the matter but no more, then it seems likely that while Marten does love her, he is also very stressed out by her being around. He's also probably extremely sensitive to her criticism, and he's seeing a lot of that coming down the pipe towards him. Marten probably is expecting much the same thing all the people wanting Veronica to absolutely destroy Dora, except that of course he's not at all happy about the idea.

I agree that yeah, he's not looking forward to the expected confrontation (note I said expected; I suspect Ms. Reed is reasonable enough not to make a scene like that), I still disagree with the premise that she could be overly controlling.

Like I said before, and maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, the only reason he's stressed by the idea of her coming is just because of the circumstances that are bringing her. If she were just coming for a regular visit, I think he'd look forward to it. He certainly wasn't stressed by her presence when she visited last. Even when they have some alone time, he seems quite calm and comfortable around her. I think a truly controlling mother would take advantage of the time she had alone with her son to start berating him on how wrong he's living his life; Veronica's not doing that. Even the conversation she has with Faye is telling of her personality. She says, "my son is a grown man and can make his own decisions." Not something a controlling mother would say. The threat against Faye doesn't even come until after she's spoken reasonably. She talks like a rational human being before letting the protective mother take over.

So yeah, it's really just the situation, and the fear that his mother's going to exacerbate it, that's stressing Marten out, not necessarily the actual presence of his mother, which he's obviously somewhat enjoyed before. And personally, I doubt (or at least hope) that Veronica's going to march over to CoD and shove Dora's face into the bean grinder, no matter how much she might want to. She'll at least talk to Marten first. Personally I think this visit, whatever it brings, will be good for him. In any case, it'll certainly be good for us!! :-D
- Alvin

Boomslang

« Reply #81 on: 06 Dec 2010, 16:00 »

Like I said before, and maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, the only reason he's stressed by the idea of her coming is just because of the circumstances that are bringing her. If she were just coming for a regular visit, I think he'd look forward to it. He certainly wasn't stressed by her presence when she visited last. Even when they have some alone time, he seems quite calm and comfortable around her. I think a truly controlling mother would take advantage of the time she had alone with her son to start berating him on how wrong he's living his life; Veronica's not doing that.

How much experience do you actually have with controlling people? Because really, you're comparing her to an extreme stereotype. By your reasoning, if a person doesn't have dismembered animals hanging about the place, they couldn't possibly be a serial killer, because they're missing the obvious signs.

Again, Veronica is not necessarily controlling, but the reasons you have for saying she's not are badly reasoned out..

Even the conversation she has with Faye is telling of her personality. She says, "my son is a grown man and can make his own decisions." Not something a controlling mother would say.

Of course a controlling mother would say that. But the subtext would be different. It's like when many women answer the question 'what's wrong?' with 'nothing'. Just because many people would legitimately mean that nothing's wrong, there are clearly other people who mean the opposite of what is said, and this situation is precisely like that.

The threat against Faye doesn't even come until after she's spoken reasonably. She talks like a rational human being before letting the protective mother take over.

Controlling and irrational are not only not the same, they're often opposites.

I don't mean to bark and snap and all, but your 'just-so' thinking doesn't have anything to do with how things actually can be, and I think that while you might be right in the overall picture, you're not getting there through sound means. You're accepting as a premise that controlling means hostility, irrationality, and a bunch of other things, and the premise is what's wrong.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #82 on: 06 Dec 2010, 16:27 »

The thing is, if someone hasn't had controlling parents, it can be hard to tell whether Marty's mother is controlling unless she goes "over the top" with it. Anything less than that would be subject to debate. And of course, it can be as easy to misinterpret her actions or words as controlling when they really aren't. We all filter this comic through our own life experiences after all, whether positive or negative.

benenator

• Plantmonster
  • The time for ends has ended.
« Reply #83 on: 06 Dec 2010, 16:51 »

As someone for whom not being allowed to leave the house by himself even at 15 was just the offtopic bird poop on the tip of the iceberg of Not Sane Controlling Manipulative Parent, I know controlling when I see it.

And Miss Reed is not being deliberately controlling. She has no reason to be that we know about. She has a very fulfilling life, from what and how we've seen her talk about. Perhaps she had some childhood stuff we don't know about. Whatever. With what we know, there is no additional security or living-by-proxy she could gain by trying to meddle in Marten's life.

And if it turns out she DOES have reasons to be crazy and IS meddling, we can look forward to Faye (and possibly Pennelope) going nuclear from all the psychological problem people.  :evil:
Forger of the One-Over-Infinity Earlobe Mace.

If you want to know about me, read my entry in the "Hi, I'm new!" forum. :roll:

flamingo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #84 on: 06 Dec 2010, 17:26 »

Wait, does Tai definitely not know that Marten's mom is Veronica Vance? She seemed pretty excited to meet her. (Or is that just supposed to be regular friends-meeting-friends'-parents excitement?)

Tai knows, I dont think Marten would have responded the way he did otherwise... "Why? So you can make out with her?"

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #85 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:01 »

I will risk getting burned at the proverbial stake in order to ask a simple question: am I the only one getting impatient with the pacing lately?  I want to know what happens but at this rate we're not going to find out for another two weeks.  I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just that the suspense is killing me over here.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #86 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:06 »

How much experience do you actually have with controlling people? Because really, you're comparing her to an extreme stereotype. By your reasoning, if a person doesn't have dismembered animals hanging about the place, they couldn't possibly be a serial killer, because they're missing the obvious signs.

Again, Veronica is not necessarily controlling, but the reasons you have for saying she's not are badly reasoned out..

Even the conversation she has with Faye is telling of her personality. She says, "my son is a grown man and can make his own decisions." Not something a controlling mother would say.

Of course a controlling mother would say that. But the subtext would be different. It's like when many women answer the question 'what's wrong?' with 'nothing'. Just because many people would legitimately mean that nothing's wrong, there are clearly other people who mean the opposite of what is said, and this situation is precisely like that.

The threat against Faye doesn't even come until after she's spoken reasonably. She talks like a rational human being before letting the protective mother take over.

Controlling and irrational are not only not the same, they're often opposites.

I don't mean to bark and snap and all, but your 'just-so' thinking doesn't have anything to do with how things actually can be, and I think that while you might be right in the overall picture, you're not getting there through sound means. You're accepting as a premise that controlling means hostility, irrationality, and a bunch of other things, and the premise is what's wrong.

How is my opinion badly reasoned out? I'm providing actual evidence that's in the comic, and I think you're the one who's seeing it the wrong way. Would you please tell me, so we don't keep repeating ourselves, exactly what about Veronica's behavior is saying "controlling mother" to you?
- Alvin

akronnick

« Reply #87 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:06 »

I will risk getting burned at the proverbial stake in order to ask a simple question: am I the only one getting impatient with the pacing lately?  I want to know what happens but at this rate we're not going to find out for another two weeks.  I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just that the suspense is killing me over here.

Such is life for the webcomic fan.
Slow pace has always been a feature of QC.
It's just the nature of the beast.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #88 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:14 »

I agree we don't have any evidence for or against Veronica being a controlling mother. Her professional gig tells us nothing, since she is, for all intents, acting out a role. Like many actors who are gifted at playing assholes and yet extremely nice IRL or the opposite (Andy Griffith, by repute, comes to mind for the latter), one can't make any good judgments based on that. However, I do recall Marten being horrified at the behavior of Hannelore's mother, who is a controller, and I don't recall him ever commiserating with Hanners about it. Not much, but something to chew on while Jeph treats us to seven days of YB and Rippy trashing Lady Gaga songs. You know, just to show us.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #89 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:20 »

Marten's mom is going to sleep with Dora. You heard it here first.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

akronnick

« Reply #90 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:23 »

This is like when you put buttered bread on the back of a cat, isn't it?

Word of God says it, therefore it must be true, but it was said on the WCDT, therefore it can never happen.

And around and around we go. :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 19:25 by akronnick »

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #91 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:30 »

So was Jeph really really drunk or does he have some target number he's trying to reduce his twitter followers down to?

Oh, and:
Sitting at my kitchen table, personalizing books. Feels very "authorly." Comic's gonna be late tonight cause I gotta do like 200 of these.
*sigh*  The needs of the few over the needs of the many.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #92 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:37 »

Tying (pardon the pun) the incident in 1302 with today's installment, I have a pretty good feeling that Tai knows who Marten's mom is.
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #93 on: 06 Dec 2010, 19:51 »

Crap, now he's taunting us.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster
« Reply #94 on: 06 Dec 2010, 20:45 »

Oh, and:
Sitting at my kitchen table, personalizing books. Feels very "authorly." Comic's gonna be late tonight cause I gotta do like 200 of these.
*sigh*  The needs of the few over the needs of the many.

More like the needs of the folks who pay his bills over the needs of us freeloaders who just like reading the comic online.

tHEfOOL

• Larger than most fish
  • TAQUITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #95 on: 06 Dec 2010, 21:24 »

Tying (pardon the pun) the incident in 1302 with today's installment, I have a pretty good feeling that Tai knows who Marten's mom is.

i actually thought that one kinda funny, because apparently she did not need to consult with marten if she is going to make major changes to her hair, but if he wants to make changes he has to talk to her about it first
I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #96 on: 06 Dec 2010, 23:05 »

Marten's mom is going to sleep with Dora. You heard it here first.

LIES!

DAMNED LIES!

...STATISTICS?   :psyduck:

No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #97 on: 06 Dec 2010, 23:07 »

After wiping the tears of laughter from mine eyes, I was able to realize that only so many things can happen now.

-Hanners is either going to allow Marten to be depressed and drink or confront him about it. If she confronts him, he may blow up. Jeez, Marten yelling at Hannelore? That would be too cruel.  :cry:

-Hannelore will actually convince Marten to open up and we will get the passive purging of emotions that Marten needs.

-LOLBUTTSLOL

-Faye will return and help defuse (right?) the situation.

-Drunken Prank Calls with Marten and Steve (Radio show rights pending)

Also, this is proof that despite his crude way of showing it, Pintsize is there for Marten. Would Steve offer his rear to Marten? I THINK NOT.

Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
Pintsize brings the funnay
« Reply #98 on: 06 Dec 2010, 23:08 »

Good show, Jeph! This is the hardest I've laughed at a webcomic in the longest time!  :evil:

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #99 on: 06 Dec 2010, 23:10 »

After wiping the tears of laughter from mine eyes, I was able to realize that only so many things can happen now.

-Hanners is either going to allow Marten to be depressed and drink or confront him about it. If she confronts him, he may blow up. Jeez, Marten yelling at Hannelore? That would be too cruel.  :cry:

-Hannelore will actually convince Marten to open up and we will get the passive purging of emotions that Marten needs.

-LOLBUTTSLOL

-Faye will return and help defuse (right?) the situation.

-Drunken Prank Calls with Marten and Steve (Radio show rights pending)

Also, this is proof that despite his crude way of showing it, Pintsize is there for Marten. Would Steve offer his rear to Marten? I THINK NOT.

You forgot

-Drunken Marten/Hanners sexx0rs.

"Martilore"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up