Lobotomy.
- 17 (16.5%)
Coffee.
- 3 (2.9%)
Never.
- 9 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 6-10 Dec 2010 (1811-1815)  (Read 149895 times)

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
Re: WCDT: 6-10 Dec 2010 (1811-1815)
« Reply #350 on: 10 Dec 2010, 05:17 »

Goldfish are:

...not my cup of tea.    - 8 (12.9%)
...REALLY hard to swallow, even on a dare.    - 4 (6.5%)

Hold on a mo, that means that 87.1% of you are prepared to put goldfishes in your cup of tea, 7% of which are too bloody useless to then even drink it properly.

Shocking.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #351 on: 10 Dec 2010, 06:32 »

*shrug* they started less than 3/4 of an inch long. The only difference between a 'carp' and a 'goldfish' is an evolution st, I mean, about a half dozen leve, no, wait, time.

That's the ticket.
Not that much time, really. The only thing keeping a goldfish from attaining carpdom seems to be the size of the 'tank' and, possibly, skin color. I've seen 'bait' goldfish that got loose in a pay-to-fish catfish farm, and they weren't not exactly teeny. Unless a foot and a half is teeny to you. I was told that one was by far not the largest one in there, and the guy who owned the ponds drug the thing every so often.

Just be grateful that all they turn into is slightly bigger goldfish and not raging sea-serpent monstrosities capable of breathing three different flavours of fire.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #352 on: 10 Dec 2010, 06:44 »

Sandman.

Yes.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #353 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:06 »

Goldfish are:

...not my cup of tea.    - 8 (12.9%)
...REALLY hard to swallow, even on a dare.    - 4 (6.5%)

Hold on a mo, that means that 87.1% of you are prepared to put goldfishes in your cup of tea, 7% of which are too bloody useless to then even drink it properly.

Shocking.

Oh dear lord, I have enough of you "I-don't-understand-how-percentages-work" people in my classes, I have to deal with them here, too?!!?

I know, I know, you did this for lols, but dammit, I'm writing finals...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #354 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:24 »

I voted for silence, but I think there should be a "denial" option up there in the poll.  I can easily see Dora going to the therapist and saying, "I don't really think this is a big thing, but my friends made me come and..."

And I also wonder about the numbering (#1816 vs #1815).  I suspect typo, but it's hard to tell.
Personally, I think that's covered by "fear." We deny what we're afraid of, for it must not be.

I can kind of agree in the general sense, but in the specific sense I was trying to cite, I disagree.  I was viewing it more of a "it's not really a problem, sure it might have ruined _this_ relationship, but I'm sure there's a guy out there that's right for me, so I don't really have to change, Marten just happened to be wrong for me and I'm sorry about that, but that doesn't mean I can't deal with this problem if it happened to be someone else".  I guess I'm viewing it more as a self-justification denial as opposed to a fear denial.  Kind of like the "We are so armored in our certitude that we do not bow to such a trivial thing as reality".  She's not so much afraid of the problem, as much as she may not really think it exists.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #355 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:39 »

When (if ever) was the last time Pintsize actually helped, or cheered up, Marten (or indeed anyone)?
430. Can anyone think of a more recent one?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DJRubberducky

• Plantmonster
  • The Flash liked me better when I made poopy noises
« Reply #356 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:56 »

About the filler --

Thumbs up to Jeph for making Randy not only eternal, but chillingly similar to the Sandman.  Including (especially) the speech bubble.  A Neil Gaiman shoutout is always a good thing.

Oooh, impending spinoff:

Sandicoot!

(And wow, does that look a lot more sinister now that it's on a screen instead of just in my head!)  :psyduck:

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #357 on: 10 Dec 2010, 10:26 »

well, now regarding comic.... I wonder if this is the begining to a hard and painfull process to Dora, like it was for Faye.... Most certanly so, but why do i believe that she's going to suffer a lot more?

...because Jeph is evil towards his characters?
Lois McMaster Bujold thinks up plots by coming up with the very worst thing that could happen to a character.  Seems to work.  Though the characters sometimes object:

LMB:   How're the kids?

Miles (springing to his feet, white about the lips):   You stay the hell away from my kids!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #358 on: 10 Dec 2010, 10:34 »

Sauron has returned

As a Bandicoot.

Sneaky bastard.     :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #359 on: 10 Dec 2010, 10:43 »

Miles:   Sampling artifact. If you're starting with Bothari, there's nowhere to go but saner.

LMB:   Point. But we digress. Society-wide cryonics, what happens next? That's the question.

:psyduck: :laugh:

Oh that's CLEVER, that is.

I've read the book they're discussing, and I can't recommend it.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Doctor Online

• Emoticontraindication
  • Dat Triforce
« Reply #360 on: 10 Dec 2010, 10:52 »

Oooh, impending spinoff:

Sandicoot!

(And wow, does that look a lot more sinister now that it's on a screen instead of just in my head!)  :psyduck:

Considering I call lady bits a cooter... I'm thinking of "Sandy Vag" at the moment. WHY!?  :psyduck:

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #361 on: 10 Dec 2010, 11:36 »

Sandman.

Yes.
And when the bandicoot said "i am eternal" i first read it as "i am endless"

And that's reminds me that i can't seem to find a single American gods book in english in this damned country  :psyduck:

But eh, what can i do about it, just go psyducks!! :psyduck:
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #362 on: 10 Dec 2010, 11:51 »

Miles:   Sampling artifact. If you're starting with Bothari, there's nowhere to go but saner.

LMB:   Point. But we digress. Society-wide cryonics, what happens next? That's the question.

:psyduck: :laugh:

Oh that's CLEVER, that is.

I've read the book they're discussing, and I can't recommend it.
Sampling artifact.  After A Civil Campaign, there's nowhere to go but downhill.

Though there are said to be 14 chapters written of a book featuring Ivan...

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #363 on: 10 Dec 2010, 12:07 »

Oh, no, please don't make that mistake - I think the book was wonderful, I just can't recommend it because SPOILER GODDAMNED SPOILER FUCKING SPOILER FUCK.

If you follow me.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #364 on: 10 Dec 2010, 13:11 »

It's almost like she's married her neuroses, and was cheating on them with Marten, and now the affair is over and she's going back to be with her mental equivalent of an abusive spouse, and that's somehow 'back to normal'. As I write this, I'm actually starting to feel sorry for her.
Get rid of the almost, and you've got it. Continuing the relationship with Marten meant giving up her insecurities—he out-and-out said that, pretty much, after the Underpants Incident. To quote Amy Lee*, Dora prefers (hopefully preferred, but she hasn't actually changed anything yet) to 'stay in love with her sorrow,' or, to be more accurate, to continue in the state of mind she's developed over the years rather than take a chance on changing, even if it meant she'd be happy. This is not uncommon. If you really pay attention, you'll be shocked at how many people prefer to suffer loss, pain, and suffering, and how much of it, rather than change the way they interact with the world.
Plus, neuroses tend to go elusive when you attempt to work on getting rid of them. They can tone themselves down to the point you give up on your efforts, because they don't seem so crippling at the moment. The parallel with an abusive spouse is indeed spot-on.

Now I'm really confused. Why does Pintsize have or need Sven's WiFi? Doesn't he have his own built-in uplink?
I (sarcastically humorously) meant the Fleshligth   :-P
And raoullefere humorously missed your point by exploiting an ambiguity in your phrasing, and choosing the most silly interpretation to base his reaction on. In France, it's starting to be called "going Perceval", for reasons that would be too long to explain, but are linked to Kaamelott, a (mostly humorous) TV show about the knights of the Round Table.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #365 on: 10 Dec 2010, 14:23 »

there is no god but Randy, and Jeph (pbuh) is his prophet.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Nentuaby

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #366 on: 10 Dec 2010, 15:32 »

Surely I can't be Glad to see I'm not the only person impressed by the similarities between Randy and The Winslow.

"Hi!"
"Hi! I'm Randy! I'm a Bandicoot!"
"Hi!"
"I had a baby! It's a baby Bandicoot!"
"Hi!"

All while Death shakes her gloriously-eyelinered head in bewilderment.

(Edit: Didn't realize the discussion for this filler already stretched back a page.)
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2010, 15:40 by Nentuaby »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #367 on: 10 Dec 2010, 15:58 »

Well, at least we finally found out who's in the other 25%.

That said...
All while Death shakes her gloriously-eyelinered head in bewilderment.
Not that I'd ever object to Death (at least not that one) turning up just to hang out, whyever would she be bewildered? She probably knows Randy from back in the day.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2010, 16:02 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Nentuaby

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #368 on: 10 Dec 2010, 16:45 »

Certain things, you just don't get over.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #369 on: 10 Dec 2010, 19:08 »

well, now regarding comic.... I wonder if this is the begining to a hard and painfull process to Dora, like it was for Faye.... Most certanly so, but why do i believe that she's going to suffer a lot more?

...because Jeph is evil towards his characters?
Lois McMaster Bujold thinks up plots by coming up with the very worst thing that could happen to a character.  Seems to work.  Though the characters sometimes object:

LMB:   How're the kids?

Miles (springing to his feet, white about the lips):   You stay the hell away from my kids!

A woman after my own heart.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #371 on: 10 Dec 2010, 21:42 »

I voted for silence, but I think there should be a "denial" option up there in the poll.  I can easily see Dora going to the therapist and saying, "I don't really think this is a big thing, but my friends made me come and..."

And I also wonder about the numbering (#1816 vs #1815).  I suspect typo, but it's hard to tell.
Personally, I think that's covered by "fear." We deny what we're afraid of, for it must not be.

I can kind of agree in the general sense, but in the specific sense I was trying to cite, I disagree.  I was viewing it more of a "it's not really a problem, sure it might have ruined _this_ relationship, but I'm sure there's a guy out there that's right for me, so I don't really have to change, Marten just happened to be wrong for me and I'm sorry about that, but that doesn't mean I can't deal with this problem if it happened to be someone else".  I guess I'm viewing it more as a self-justification denial as opposed to a fear denial.  Kind of like the "We are so armored in our certitude that we do not bow to such a trivial thing as reality".  She's not so much afraid of the problem, as much as she may not really think it exists.
I'm not so sure of that, and although I do think Dora doesn't want to admit there's a problem, in this last strip she does seem to be giving up on that at least a tiny bit. Anyway, someone already mentioned that the minute Dora tries the "My friends made me" line, any therapist worth his/her certification is going to ask "And why do your friends think you need to be here?" I think this "it's not really a problem" response could be quickly countered by "Why did it ruin this relationship?" followed by, "And so you think there's someone out there who won't have something in his past that will bother you?" Basically, if Faye can take Dora down with aggression, then a calm, analytical person who's able to dissect each of these protests will be able to as well, and more thoroughly. At some point in this Dora will become angry and defensive, which is, of course, a manifestation of fear—we rarely become angry about what we're not afraid of, on some level, nor do we need to defend against that which does not frighten us.

So, while I'm certain Dora will manifest a variety of poses, at the root of all of it will be fear—at the root, what else are insecurities about? Personally, I hope she's not going to fight that hard, but past evidence does indicate that you're correct—she will. Sadly, it's the way these things work.

GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #372 on: 11 Dec 2010, 00:30 »

Will Dr. Phil be outclassed?
Never a contest. A smelly drunken hobo, with lice, no teeth and breath that would kill a rhino, could piss into the coffin at your Mum's funeral, and he'd still have more class than Dr. Phil.

Bandicoots are eternal, eh? I'm not buying it. Now if it had been cockroaches, absolutely!

Best Neil Gaiman shout-out in webcomics has to be this. He liked it too, apparently. I am so sad that Planet Karen seems to be on indefinite hiatus.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #373 on: 11 Dec 2010, 01:51 »

So, while I'm certain Dora will manifest a variety of poses, at the root of all of it will be fear—at the root, what else are insecurities about? Personally, I hope she's not going to fight that hard, but past evidence does indicate that you're correct—she will. Sadly, it's the way these things work.

It will, at least, be more interesting than, say, Marten going to therapy. Fixing Marten's issues through therapy is like trying to transport frogspawn with a running chainsaw. It will be noisy and do lots of damage without actually getting anywhere.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #374 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:03 »

Will Dr. Phil be outclassed?
Never a contest. A smelly drunken hobo, with lice, no teeth and breath that would kill a rhino, could piss into the coffin at your Mum's funeral, and he'd still have more class than Dr. Phil.
While I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, I'd just like it formally noted that I would still pay good money to watch this unfortunate individual fight Dr. Phil.  Not necessarily for supremacy, you understand - Dr. Phil could even be handcuffed and blindfolded to ensure a one-sided battle - I'd just enjoy watching this avatar of Hobo-ness wailing on Dr. Phil.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #375 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:04 »

You never know, Mom might be a licensed therapist.

...yes I said that with a straight face, what of it?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #376 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:36 »

All moms are therapists, licensed or otherwise. 

Well, they like to think  they are. 

I am so sad that Planet Karen seems to be on indefinite hiatus.

Me, too.  But she has a job now - the death of many a creative enterprise! 

flamingo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #377 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:13 »

there is no god but Randy, and Jeph (pbuh) is his prophet.

I lol'd :D

Every time I say "Jeph" (pbuh), I'll say pbuh afterwords. I might even say it in Arabic for added effect.

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #378 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:14 »

[Heavy Handed Axe]

I'm not so sure of that, and although I do think Dora doesn't want to admit there's a problem, in this last strip she does seem to be giving up on that at least a tiny bit. Anyway, someone already mentioned that the minute Dora tries the "My friends made me" line, any therapist worth his/her certification is going to ask "And why do your friends think you need to be here?" I think this "it's not really a problem" response could be quickly countered by "Why did it ruin this relationship?" followed by, "And so you think there's someone out there who won't have something in his past that will bother you?" Basically, if Faye can take Dora down with aggression, then a calm, analytical person who's able to dissect each of these protests will be able to as well, and more thoroughly. At some point in this Dora will become angry and defensive, which is, of course, a manifestation of fear—we rarely become angry about what we're not afraid of, on some level, nor do we need to defend against that which does not frighten us.

Certainly fear is at the root of pretty much all insecurities, but don't forget that the topic of this is the poll... and the poll is only about Dora's first day of therapy.  I'm just more of the belief that it'll take more than a day to crack through her walls of denial and get to those fears... which would make the summation of her first day denial.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #379 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:14 »

It will be interesting to see what Jeph does with the new character that will be introduced when Dora goes to therapy.

Also interesting to see if he'll make a therapy appointment funny. He managed it with Faye.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #380 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:40 »

All moms are therapists, licensed or otherwise. 

Well, they like to think  they are. 

I'm leaning more towards Sex Therapist. You know, kinda what Raven was leaning towards.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #381 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:42 »

Wouldn't it be funny if her therapist was already someone we've seen in the strip - like the "Angus Replacement" who asked about the waiting list.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #382 on: 11 Dec 2010, 13:41 »

Also interesting to see if he'll make a therapy appointment funny. He managed it with Faye.
IIRC Jeph wrote in his footnotes that he very much enjoyed writing/drawing Doctor Corinne. So yeah. I think we can count on a few punchlines.

Wouldn't it be funny if her therapist was already someone we've seen in the strip - like the "Angus Replacement" who asked about the waiting list.

A possibility.  In that case I would prefer it to be a Claire witch project. Admittedly it is unlikely that a wiccan witch raising wolfhounds for a living would be a qualified therapist as well. I just sooo wish she would come back to the strip.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #383 on: 11 Dec 2010, 17:05 »

It will be interesting to see what Jeph does with the new character that will be introduced when Dora goes to therapy.

Turns out her terapist is Dale. Daaaaaaaaaaaang.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #384 on: 11 Dec 2010, 17:40 »

Delivering Pizzas, World of Warcraft AND a licensed counselor? That's be WAY too much for anyone.  :psyduck:
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #385 on: 11 Dec 2010, 18:07 »

He did say he had two other jobs in addition to pizza delivery. hmm....
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #386 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:21 »

And we all know World of Warcraft is a part time job where you don't get paid........Why, oh why did I have to reinstall that infernal program?!

Moving on....

I don't think Dale would be a counselor for Dora, mainly because of the whole "secret menu" debacle. Obviously the Coffee of Doom crew know him well enough to decide to let him know about the secret menu, likewise he knows them well enough to get away with that legenedary Daaang without being flayed by Faye or Dora. Granted, they might only know each other to make small talk at the counter, but thats only a small step away from full conversations and friendship. In the end, it would just be too weird and contract the QC world a little more and we don't want that.

But... Daaaang!

aeofel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #387 on: 11 Dec 2010, 21:58 »

Randy, the eternal Bandicoot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56946357@N07/5252950641/

*as a subnote, anybody know how to get flickr images to post?  Because I couldn't get it to work, thus the link.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #388 on: 11 Dec 2010, 23:06 »

In flickr, click on "share this", and open the "grab the HTML/BBC code", and select the radio button for BBC code (Doesn't BBC stand for Bulletin Board Code?  Isn't "BBC code" redundant?) 

Anyway, take the stuff that's between the image tags in there.  In your case,

Code: [Select]
[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5045/5252950641_d4deb64d6e.jpg[/img]
produces

You can add the resizing info if it's too big. 

EDIT:  I just noticed that Randy does not appear in the reflection on the visor.  Does that mean bandicoots can't see themselves in a mirror? 
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2010, 23:08 by Carl-E »

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #389 on: 11 Dec 2010, 23:46 »

NASA photoshopped out Randy when they released the photos so people wouldn't know they were taken on a soundstage in the Nevada desert.

That's right NASA invented photoshop so they could fake the moon landing and then kept it secret for twenty-five years.

(NASA did not actually fake the Moon landings, they did however, invent photshop, but they called it something else)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #390 on: 12 Dec 2010, 00:27 »

I don't think Dale would be a counselor for Dora,

In any case, a professional counsellor will not take on someone they know.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #391 on: 12 Dec 2010, 00:52 »

All moms are pimps for therapists.

Especially when they decide to take a whack at being one for their own children.
Fixed that. Okay, I completely overhauled it.

And yes, probably not a universal truth. But as I understand it, a good therapist should be objective, and that does not seem likely to be something a mother can really be when considering her child. Thus, it's pretty clear to me that if actual therapy is required, things will not go well.

[Double-bitted battle axe to apply forty whacks to my long-winded post]

ertainly fear is at the root of pretty much all insecurities, but don't forget that the topic of this is the poll... and the poll is only about Dora's first day of therapy.  I'm just more of the belief that it'll take more than a day to crack through her walls of denial and get to those fears... which would make the summation of her first day denial.
But hasn't Dora got a history of being thin-skinned to the point of a single cell layer when the right buttons are pushed (Web page, Underpants, Hitting on Marten, etc.)? I guess what it really boils down to is how much self-control she has. Lately, it's seemed to me that's been on a definite ebb. 'Twill be interesting to see.

It's also going to be interesting to see how long before she actually shows up at a therapist's office, since I'll agree Dora's numero-uno, A-#1 at that sort of denial. And, of course, even if she does, there's every chance Jeph won't let us see it, because of any or all of the following:
A) it's not really vital to the plot
B) there're no laughs to be had, and he feels we've had enough of that sort of thing for a while
C) we really want to, and he's decided to apply Brockian Ultra-Cricket audience theory in order to intensify our experience.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

aeofel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #392 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:02 »

Thanks Carl  :-)

And thanks to your ability to notice a lack of reflections, (the most important power of any vampire slayer) here's the edited premiere version.

Speech bubbles however remain invisible for inexplicable reasons arising from quantum fluctuations.

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #393 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:05 »

How exactly do speech bubbles work in a vacuum?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #394 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:14 »

Same as helmets; there needs to be something to stop the words dissipating.

Heh - bad page change or what?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #395 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:08 »

[Double-bitted battle axe to apply forty whacks to my long-winded post]

Certainly fear is at the root of pretty much all insecurities, but don't forget that the topic of this is the poll... and the poll is only about Dora's first day of therapy.  I'm just more of the belief that it'll take more than a day to crack through her walls of denial and get to those fears... which would make the summation of her first day denial.
But hasn't Dora got a history of being thin-skinned to the point of a single cell layer when the right buttons are pushed (Web page, Underpants, Hitting on Marten, etc.)? I guess what it really boils down to is how much self-control she has. Lately, it's seemed to me that's been on a definite ebb. 'Twill be interesting to see.

It's also going to be interesting to see how long before she actually shows up at a therapist's office, since I'll agree Dora's numero-uno, A-#1 at that sort of denial. And, of course, even if she does, there's every chance Jeph won't let us see it, because of any or all of the following:
A) it's not really vital to the plot
B) there're no laughs to be had, and he feels we've had enough of that sort of thing for a while
C) we really want to, and he's decided to apply Brockian Ultra-Cricket audience theory in order to intensify our experience.

I think a lot of that depends on the source.  In the few examples you cited, the... trigger, so to speak, came from people that Dora might consider social inferiors or outright rivals (Marigold apparently being, or at least acting younger, Cossette being both a rival and younger, and Faye, well, this whole thing kind of comes back to her in the first place).  In speaking with someone who would be presumably older and thus with more presence (although that would be an interesting switch, if Jeph gave us some young wunderkind as a therapist), she might not have as easy a focus for her anger.  I see her trying to explain things to her therapist the same way Penelope was trying to explain things to Dora about her parents.  She'll relate the incidents, but to her, she's not (entirely) wrong, so she doesn't really entirely see the need to change.

I don't know.  Looking back at what I just typed, it hangs together but... it doesn't seem quite right.  I think I'm missing something.

As for how long before her first visit, well, depending on how that number she called works, there's every chance she already has an (initial) appointment time already.  Now as to whether she might call them back and ask to postpone or reschedule, well...

I disagree with A) in that I feel that if Jeph would like to keep Dora in the major circle of characters, we'll need to at least see some definite results from the therapy, if only to "rehabiitate" her in our eyes.  After all, she's largely come out as the villain of the piece, bar the "spineless Marten" bashing that we won't go into again.  So, in that sense, her therapy is vital to the plot, at least in terms of keeping her as a fairly major character within it.  If she's just going to fade away, well, then no, it becomes less important.

B) is certainly a possibility, but given how well he handled Doctor Corinne, I have high hopes that he could manage something good with a new therapist as well.

C), well... not much we can say or do about that!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #396 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:14 »

First Day of Therapy for Dora in One Word:

Drama.    - 3 (3.3%)
Humor.    - 5 (5.5%)
Tears.    - 18 (19.8%)
Screaming.    - 4 (4.4%)
Silence.    - 16 (17.6%)
Fear.    - 12 (13.2%)
Loathing.    - 8 (8.8%)
Lobotomy.    - 16 (17.6%)
Coffee.    - 2 (2.2%)
Never.    - 7 (7.7%)

Total Voters: 91
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #397 on: 12 Dec 2010, 08:47 »

[Double-bitted battle axe to apply forty whacks to yet another of my long-winded posts]

I think a lot of that depends on the source.  In the few examples you cited, the... trigger, so to speak, came from people that Dora might consider social inferiors or outright rivals (Marigold apparently being, or at least acting younger, Cossette being both a rival and younger, and Faye, well, this whole thing kind of comes back to her in the first place).  In speaking with someone who would be presumably older and thus with more presence (although that would be an interesting switch, if Jeph gave us some young wunderkind as a therapist), she might not have as easy a focus for her anger.  I see her trying to explain things to her therapist the same way Penelope was trying to explain things to Dora about her parents.  She'll relate the incidents, but to her, she's not (entirely) wrong, so she doesn't really entirely see the need to change.

I don't know.  Looking back at what I just typed, it hangs together but... it doesn't seem quite right.  I think I'm missing something.
How about this—just as Penelope gets agitated when Dora doesn't see how obvious it is she's 'right,' it's possible Dora will get agitated when the therapist doesn't simply accept her explanations, or, worse, points out flaws in them. She's also, after all, gotten angry when Marten didn't simply take her side. It all depends on how defensive she really is, of how much debating Dora's really prepared to do.

I disagree with A) in that I feel that if Jeph would like to keep Dora in the major circle of characters, we'll need to at least see some definite results from the therapy, if only to "rehabiitate" her in our eyes.  After all, she's largely come out as the villain of the piece, bar the "spineless Marten" bashing that we won't go into again.  So, in that sense, her therapy is vital to the plot, at least in terms of keeping her as a fairly major character within it.  If she's just going to fade away, well, then no, it becomes less important.

B) is certainly a possibility, but given how well he handled Doctor Corinne, I have high hopes that he could manage something good with a new therapist as well.

C), well... not much we can say or do about that!
Sorry, I wasn't clear—I meant Jeph wouldn't show us the actual therapy session, not that he wouldn't let us see the results. As for B, Faye, howevermuch she wanted to run from therapy, has an acerbic sense of humor about her problems. Dora doesn't seem to, although she certainly could and we simply haven't seen it. But for the most part, she's much rawer, for lack of a better word, in the way she deals (or doesn't) with her problems. I know what you mean about Dora seeming the 'villain' to many readers although I personally don't understand that perception. What's happening to Dora is tragic, and it's pretty clear to me she's suffered the most from her insecurities. How bad is it when you 'know' there's a time limit on your happiness—and you've actualy accepted it?

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #398 on: 12 Dec 2010, 11:33 »

I know what you mean about Dora seeming the 'villain' to many readers although I personally don't understand that perception. What's happening to Dora is tragic, and it's pretty clear to me she's suffered the most from her insecurities. How bad is it when you 'know' there's a time limit on your happiness—and you've actualy accepted it?

I don't think Dora being the "villain" is really a proper interpretation. Most people, me included, probably see her as the one in the wrong. She's the one that pulled the trigger and ran away. Yes, it's tragic and yes, she's suffering just like everybody else. But she's still in the wrong though she's not so much the villain as she is the coward. Instead of trying to work things out with professional help, which would be strenuous yes but cathartic in the end, she decided to run and hide. There's no excuse for that when Marten and Faye would've surely given her the space she needed. In most breakups and divorces there is no real "bad guy". But there's often one that's more selfish and cowardly than the other which puts that partner in the wrong, provided of course there's a chance whatever issues are present can be fixed, and makes them an easy target for any resentment other interested parties may feel.
Quis pater tibi est?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #399 on: 12 Dec 2010, 12:04 »

Dora's in stasis, like Faye was in stasis.

Jeph doesn't let characters stay in stasis. He's specifically said he refuses to fall into a rut.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up