THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm really interested in like, "Board Theory" these days  (Read 9213 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Re: I'm really interested in like, "Board Theory" these days
« Reply #50 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:47 »

Petanque!

Those are some classy-looking...what do you call someone who plays petanque? A petanquiste? Petanquer? Petanqueoneer? Pentaqueologiste? L'homme Petanque? Petanqueleur?

Does anyone know this?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #51 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:49 »

I don't think Jimmy would want to be called a L'homme Petanque.

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #52 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:51 »

To be fair, I got sucked in here when I realized how much cooler the people on here are than any of the people I know in real life. Perhaps that does tie into the whole idea of minor social dysfunction? I have the mental image of most of the older posters as this hip group of elite pals with great taste in everything.
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2011, 17:01 by SirJuggles »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #53 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:55 »

Elite Pals?

I mean, I do belong to a real group of friends that go around calling ourselves "Club Handsome". Is that elite enough for you?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:57 »

Is it odd that I am mildly interested in petanque now?  It sounds a lot better than throwing sacks of sands, and it has that element of danger.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #55 on: 03 Jan 2011, 15:00 »

Petanque!

I miss all my suits so very, very much.

i think it's fair to say that most (if not all) people who do so do it because they feel like they're missing something in their "real" social life. when you get enough people together who are missing the same thing from their lives, it's inevitably going to lead to a really intimate and tightly knit community like the one we have here, not to mention all the relationships that have sprung up from it as well

Absolutely. I love my meat-life friends a great deal and I'm very glad that I've still got the basic social group as I did in high school but in the intervening years, we've all changed a great deal and really I don't have much in common with them anymore (at least re: superficial stuff like movies and music), and in general I've just got a very different outlook on life. It's probable that a very large part of that is actually shaped by having spent a large amount of time on this board (and other places on the Internet too) but none of that would've happened if I wasn't receptive to it. Probably the majority of the art I enjoy these days, as well as many of the specifics regarding my current political views, are a direct result of things I've read on this board and conversations I've had with it's members.

And aside from a few select meat-life friends, I share way more about my life and my internal thoughts and feelings here than I do with anybody else. Partly this is because there are threads specifically designed for this kind of interaction but also because of the shared worldview that I have with a fairly large portion of the regulars here, I can be comfortable in any discourse that results from my confessionals.

I think it's fantastic and really very pragmatic. I no longer bother my meat-life friends with any of the weird stupid music I like and the generally pretty snarky way I view most pop-culture so it makes me a far more pleasant person to be around. I don't know what kind of insufferable asshole I'd be if I didn't have the kind of outlet that allows me (and is quite welcoming of) those impulses.

I guess this ties into the old phrase "you can choose yr friends but you can't choose yr family". It's just people of our era have a far better choice!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #56 on: 03 Jan 2011, 15:00 »

elite pals is almost as good as douche clique, but not quite.

anyway i dont see my social life as dysfunctional per se, but i simply find internet forums a neat place to talk to people when i am bored and have nobody to chill with.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #58 on: 03 Jan 2011, 15:18 »

Would see
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #59 on: 03 Jan 2011, 17:10 »

Those are some classy-looking...what do you call someone who plays petanque? A petanquiste? Petanquer? Petanqueoneer? Pentaqueologiste? L'homme Petanque? Petanqueleur?

I hope this is the right answer, because we sure do look like a bunch of petanquers.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #60 on: 04 Jan 2011, 00:22 »

Petanque!

Does anyone know this?

the word you're looking for is australians
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #61 on: 04 Jan 2011, 00:32 »

If they're playing a French game then they must be alternative universe Australians.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up