Comic Discussion > QUESTIONABLE CONTENT

Conduct in this forum

<< < (9/10) > >>

Odin:
Fuck the "walking on eggshells" mentality, people. As long as you're coherent and back up your crazy theories with links to specific comics (or at least references to situations that actually happened in the comic), and are very careful to direct any insults at the ideas and theories of others instead of at them personally, you literally have very little to worry about.

JackFaerie:
I gotta say: this recent moderation has made this forum far, far less fun to post on, and far, far, far, far less fun to read. I have never posted anything "objectionable" and yet I feel the moderation horribly hobbles and stifles the spirit of discussion I have previously so much enjoyed. Everyone seems to be looking over their shoulders, and pwhodges is sitting over the entire place like a hen-mom... well-meaning to be sure, but it really feels like being babysat and having to watch your language about the uptight babysitter. It honestly makes me feel uneasy to read the forum now.

And I'm fine with moderation in theory. But geeeez, pwhodges. I've seen you go off on people for indulging in some totally harmless speculation, and obviously non-serious/playful speculation at that. These characters are not real people. It is silly to demand everyone treat them with the kind of respect even real people (like say, celebrities) aren't accorded when discussing their lives.

And I seriously don't get Jeph. Yes, one can feel a sense of ownership and protection for one's characters. But also, if one is to be a creator, one is just gonna have to put on one's grown-up pants and deal with the fact that readers will not always think of the characters the same way you do. I am sure Jeph himself participates in that sort of thing with the media he enjoys--that he's discussed characters and plotlines of movies/books/comics with his friends or on his blog in ways that might go against the creator's vision of them.

But also--this forum is tame! Seriously, seriously, seriously tame. Most other webcomic forums I visit have much more of the so-called "offensive" material.

pwhodges:

--- Quote from: JackFaerie on 15 Dec 2010, 05:11 ---Everyone seems to be looking over their shoulders,
--- End quote ---

And after a while they'll realise there's no bogey-man there.

--- Quote ---I've seen you go off on people for indulging in some totally harmless speculation, and obviously non-serious/playful speculation at that. These characters are not real people. It is silly to demand everyone treat them with the kind of respect even real people (like say, celebrities) aren't accorded when discussing their lives.
--- End quote ---

Most things on the Internet are harmless,  but that doesn't mean that they are wanted everywhere.  But remember, I am still learning how to do this - both in terms of judgement, and in terms of how to express what I think about something.  And sadly, but naturally, we can't all agree all the time anyway.  But I can agree that you have never posted anything that doesn't fit here just fine.

--- Quote ---And I seriously don't get Jeph. Yes, one can feel a sense of ownership and protection for one's characters. But also, if one is to be a creator, one is just gonna have to put on one's grown-up pants and deal with the fact that readers will not always think of the characters the same way you do.
--- End quote ---

He is how he is, and he pays the bills for this place...  <shrug />

--- Quote ---But also--this forum is tame! Seriously, seriously, seriously tame. Most other webcomic forums I visit have much more of the so-called "offensive" material.
--- End quote ---

That's irrelevant here.

est:
The conversation in here is starting to get a bit ridiculous. Please read what has been said so far before posting, because people seem to be missing to point entirely.

Seems to me that about the only thing Jeph has a real problem with (other than what's laid out in the rules) is people putting his characters into sexual situations. Speculation and general talk about what has happened in the comic and what you think about it and what you think is gonna happen is fine. I don't understand how telling people not to write slashfic or lust over comic characters "stifles" any kind of conversation other than undesirable creepy bullshit.

jeph:

--- Quote from: JackFaerie on 15 Dec 2010, 05:11 ---I gotta say: this recent moderation has made this forum far, far less fun to post on, and far, far, far, far less fun to read. I have never posted anything "objectionable" and yet I feel the moderation horribly hobbles and stifles the spirit of discussion I have previously so much enjoyed. Everyone seems to be looking over their shoulders, and pwhodges is sitting over the entire place like a hen-mom... well-meaning to be sure, but it really feels like being babysat and having to watch your language about the uptight babysitter. It honestly makes me feel uneasy to read the forum now.

And I'm fine with moderation in theory. But geeeez, pwhodges. I've seen you go off on people for indulging in some totally harmless speculation, and obviously non-serious/playful speculation at that. These characters are not real people. It is silly to demand everyone treat them with the kind of respect even real people (like say, celebrities) aren't accorded when discussing their lives.

And I seriously don't get Jeph. Yes, one can feel a sense of ownership and protection for one's characters. But also, if one is to be a creator, one is just gonna have to put on one's grown-up pants and deal with the fact that readers will not always think of the characters the same way you do. I am sure Jeph himself participates in that sort of thing with the media he enjoys--that he's discussed characters and plotlines of movies/books/comics with his friends or on his blog in ways that might go against the creator's vision of them.

But also--this forum is tame! Seriously, seriously, seriously tame. Most other webcomic forums I visit have much more of the so-called "offensive" material.

--- End quote ---

Wah wah wahhhhh.

This is my website. I DON'T have to put up with people doing shit I don't like on it. I don't care how other forums are run, I don't care if it's SO AWFUL that you now have to STOP AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

If you people can manage to post less shittily for a while, I guarantee the moderation will seem less "stifling" because we won't need to do as much of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version