THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 21786 times)

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
Death Metal
« on: 09 Dec 2010, 07:34 »

Not to sound like a complete dork but inspired by The Mountain Goats' The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton I'd like to start investigating death metal.

What's a good place to start?
I don't have much experience with metal besides a little bit of Mastodon,Boris and some of the guys from the NWOBHM movement.

Keep in mind since I like to actually buy the things I listen to it'd probably be better if it's not impossible to find a copy.

Thanks dudes.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
Re: Death Metal
« Reply #1 on: 09 Dec 2010, 08:02 »

Morbid Angel and Entombed both released absolute death metal classics with Altars of Madness and Left Hand Path.  I would say those are the best two places to start, they shouldn't be hard to find at all.  Morbid Angel is thrashy and technical with winding song structures, Entombed (and Swedish death metal in general) is more straightforward, being influenced quite a bit by punk.

Immolation is a New York death metal band with a near-flawless discography.  Their music is very rhythmically complex, with lots of dissonance going on.  Their stuff shouldn't be hard to find either, the best album to start with is debatable, but I would go with Failures for Gods

The Chasm are a criminally under-rated Mexican death metal band that has released several near-perfect albums.  Get Procession To the Infraworld if you can find it, which I don't think should be hard

Also, not exactly a starter death metal band, but there was a Finnish group called Demilich made their one and only album Nespithe available as a free download.  The vocals take a little bit of getting used to (sounds like a dude straight-up burping) but the music is nothing short of incredible.  They made that difficult balance between technicality, creativity, and catchiness like it was nothing
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2010, 08:14 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2 on: 09 Dec 2010, 08:53 »

Demilich were incredible. My favourite death metal band by far is Gorguts, which definitely takes a bit of getting used to. I also generally like techier death metal, so if you think you might be into that kind of stuff, I'll drop a few names.

NotAFanOfFenders

• The German Chancellory building
  • even furrier
« Reply #3 on: 09 Dec 2010, 09:17 »

I'd definitely start with some Death, Morbid Angel, Athiest and the like. They're pretty much at the roots of the genre.
Opeth are an obvious choice as well, for getting into the genre, as Åkerfeldt is IMO one of the best singers around. For albums, maybe start with Morningrise or Blackwater Park. The entire Roundhouse Tapes, Opeth's first live album is available free on youtube if you want a sample of great songs spanning their entire catalogue.

Also, Dethklok.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 09 Dec 2010, 09:25 »

A good "Gateway" band is definitely Death, especially their later output since it's more melodic metal than anything. Other than that, the first reply here is a pretty damn strong one. Check out 4-5 of the bands mentioned and tell us which you like best, and we'll guide you to more bands :)

This genre is a LOT broader than people may think, so you might need some help navigating the subgenres.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2010, 13:03 »

I second, or third, Death and Morbid Angel. And I'll add Obituary and Exodus.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2010, 13:22 »

Portal!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2010, 13:25 »

I like Exodus, but wouldn't call them death metal.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 09 Dec 2010, 13:58 »

Listen to Exhumed.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 09 Dec 2010, 14:52 »

Portal!

That would pretty hit or miss. They're kinda harsh, but they may be better for it.

I have a friend of a friend who is basically mr. Arch-Hipster, and he liked "Nattens Madrigal" by Ulver a few years before the Memo of "Now we like Black Metal because it is like... obscure and stuff" came through the hipster chain of command. The reason for that was, that that record is particular was just crazy and harsh enough for him to enjoy it, whereas he might not like Immortal or something like that.

leftandleaving

• Emoticontraindication
  • Monochromosome
« Reply #10 on: 09 Dec 2010, 16:50 »

Dismember's God That Never Was is a total guitar-player's album.  Very melodic death.  Dying Fetus have some great technical death metal, but it's really hard to listen to, sometimes.  So... Maybe try that one out, but I wouldn't get too discouraged if it doesn't work out.

I'm a bigger fan of some of the blacker metal, as opposed to death..lier.

Like, Watain's Sworn To The Dark is great, as is Marduk's Plague Angel.  Also, the band Kalmah have a huge discography and pretty much all of it is great stuff.  But again, if you're looking specifically for death metal, all of those bands are more black than death.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #11 on: 09 Dec 2010, 17:05 »

Suffocation motherfucker!

That's really all I wanted to say, I tend to lean toward melodic/tech _____ metal and that's the only band not listed yet that is straight up awesome death metal that I know of.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #12 on: 09 Dec 2010, 17:40 »

"Death metal" is a pretty wide genre and, without knowing why you're interested in it, it's hard to just list bands. Plus you mentioned that you don't have much experience with metal to begin with - so why death specifically? What's drawing you to it?

I second Opeth; definitely listen to several of their albums from different time periods to get the full idea of what they're capable of. I agree with Blackwater Park as a good first album but I'd probably substitute My Arms, Your Hearse or Still Life for Morningrise.

Definitely some good bands listed here already. Hit up a few songs, figure out what you like or don't like, report back and I'm sure people will be able to narrow it down better.

I tend to listen to more sludge/industrial/extreme metal and haven't listened to much pure death in a while, but if you like Mastodon you'd probably also like High On Fire, Baroness, Isis, Neurosis... maayyybe Rosetta if you like the sludgier stuff.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #13 on: 09 Dec 2010, 18:25 »

Oh, and Lykathea Aflame, just because.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #14 on: 09 Dec 2010, 18:38 »

Quo Vadis and Nile, if you want technical death metal, are good places to start.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

Be My Head

« Reply #15 on: 09 Dec 2010, 20:10 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZCAarIVSI

Basically, you should start with Entombed's Left Hand Path and Dismember's Like An Ever Flowing Stream.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2010, 20:14 by Be My Head »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #16 on: 09 Dec 2010, 20:54 »

As has been said, Opeth and Gojira are always great intros to this heavier genre (they're what got me pushed towards death metal).

In addition to everything mentioned here, I've personally always felt that Deicide has a really nice death growl.  Other than that I guess they're rather generic.

I also really enjoy Oceano.  They're quite frantic at times, while still maintaining the strong brutal power I associate with good death tunes.

And Suicide Silence has some uniqueness to them that I enjoy as well.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #17 on: 09 Dec 2010, 22:22 »

Actually, Bloodbath would probably be a great gateway for you. They kind of rip off older death metal bands, but I'd say they do it well. Check out Nightmares Made Flesh - it's easily Peter Tagtren's best vocal performance.

Definitely check out Entombed, Deicide, Dismember, Suffocation (old only), Decapitated, Disincarnate, Psycroptic, Anata, etc. Good call on Lykathea Aflame too, though they're not completely death metal.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2010, 00:04 »

I also really enjoy Oceano.  They're quite frantic at times, while still maintaining the strong brutal power I associate with good death tunes.

And Suicide Silence has some uniqueness to them that I enjoy as well.

No, no, no, no, NO!!

Please, keep the deathcore out of the death metal thread. I can't stress this enough.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:03 »

Better yet, keep it out of this board altogether.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:21 »

I second that motion. Absolutely no fucking haircut bands!

Rather than bothering with Deathcore, why not return to what spawned it? When I got into death metal originally it was through MDM (Melodic Death Metal). Some of what people have already been suggesting in this thread is rather close to that (Opeth particularly). Some other ones (older and somewhat less poppiers stuff) that I used to dig back in the day that you might be interested in:

Arch Enemy - Angelclaw: Pre Angela Gossow Arch-Enemy is fantastic for reasons that have nothing to do with the singer. This song is pure guitar heroics, without ever tipping over the edge into malmsteenesque wankery.

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul: The memory of this band becomes more and more tainted as more and more metalcore and deathcore bands produce third-hand rip-offs of their sound, but this album is stll classic and I'll REFUSE HUGS to anyone who says otherwise  :x

Carcass - Heartwork: I am actually pretty shocked that this is the first time they have come up in this thread. Carcass are the fucking business. If you like this track you should also try some of their earlier (superior) stuff. Particularly indispensible classics include Corporal Jigsore Quandry, Incarnated Solvent Abuse and every single track on Reek of Putrefaction, an album that has inspired probably more blatant clones than just about anything else in the history of metal. Don't bother with the album Swansong; even the band practically pretends it doesn't exist these days.

Edge of Sanity - Twilight: EoS are a pretty key band. They're one of the key pioneers in the early mixing of death metal with elements of other musical genres, they're one of the first death metal bands to write songs about relationships that didn't involve someone getting stabbed in the genitals, and they had the benefit of at least two genius level songwriters, including the irrepressibly brilliant Dan Swano. Plus they are just good, which is actually what matters in the end.

In Flames - Moonshield: This is from the second-to-last In Flames album that is really worth buying. After this and the follow-up Whoracle the band completed their transformation into an absolute, painfully embarrassing joke who I deeply wish would just vanish from existence. Old stuff is alright though; early-mid 90's In Flames is probably the 'perfect' MDM. But seriously, even Whoracle is getting dodgy, and anything after that is pure dogshit*.

*I originally wrote 'pure goatvomt', but then I remembered that goatvomit is awesome.

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2010, 10:08 »

Ah, In Flames. How I used to love you.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2010, 10:13 »

I remember having an argument when I was 14 about whether In Flames or Cradle of Filth was the best band ever. This is why I try to be tolerant of the foibles of youth.

Seriously though, no deathcore.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

adulus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2010, 11:37 »

Fucking second on Gojira

On the topic of frogs who make awesome metal, Gorod and Yyrkoon bear mention.

Krisiun and Vader sound a bit more oldschool, but still awesome.

Akercocke are basically blackened prog death metal.

There's lighter stuff like Opeth and Cynic

For more melodic stuff, there's Amon Amarth, Himsa, Kalmah and early In Flames

Heaven shall burn started out metalcore, but they've been trying hard to go melodeath.

Finally, Meshuggah kind of defy classification but are definitely worth a listen.

Also, holy shit, how did I forgot Death?
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2010, 11:49 by adulus »

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2010, 12:45 »

Also, Severed Savior are awesome.

mbelassie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2010, 12:53 »

Behemoth.

Ahem, Excuse me...

B E H E M O T H

Try their album Demigod, if you like that get The Apostasy. Very, very heavy but always listenable and groovy. Fucking awesome.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2010, 14:00 »

The Apostasy sucked. I'd stick to Demigod and earlier material - namely, Zos Kia Culta and Thelema.6.

Nodaisho

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2010, 15:56 »

Carcass - Heartwork: I am actually pretty shocked that this is the first time they have come up in this thread. Carcass are the fucking business. If you like this track you should also try some of their earlier (superior) stuff. Particularly indispensible classics include Corporal Jigsore Quandry, Incarnated Solvent Abuse and every single track on Reek of Putrefaction, an album that has inspired probably more blatant clones than just about anything else in the history of metal. Don't bother with the album Swansong; even the band practically pretends it doesn't exist these days.
What's "these days"? I remember a concert video from '08 or '09 where they played one of the Swansong songs (I forget which) and pretty much said fuck the haters.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2010, 19:10 »

Well, Swansong is their last album, and when I saw them they only played one song off it in a nearly two hour set, which, when you think about it, marginalises it utterly.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:50 »

Just out of curiosity ... how is Opeth death metal?
My Art.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:58 »

opeth walk a fine line between melodic death metal and prog for those who are into tech death and brutal death the prog angle pulls them too far out of the genre where as people who listen to melo death still group them in with the death metal
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:02 »

I wouldn't put Opeth directly under the death metal title... they are definitely very progressive and really don't fit under a definite genre (I've heard "progressive death metal" and "extreme progressive metal" thrown around equally but then we're getting into sub-subs). However, for someone delving into death metal for the first time, without knowing why they're specifically interested in DM, it's worth pointing them out.

Hell, it's worth pointing them out to pretty much anyone anyway.

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:39 »

Opeth label themselves as Death metal, so i guess they are? Opeth were my first taste of modern metal, and at the time i wouldn't have lumped them in with stuff like Cannibal Corpse. I just see them as progressive metal. Early Opeth is basically proggy deathy black metal (Under the Weeping Moon, Black Rose Immortal) with a lot of folk put in (Night and the Silent Water) and spiced with some lovely positive pretentiousness.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:58 »

Hell, it's worth pointing them out to pretty much anyone anyway.

This is true, all sub-genre pedantry aside Opeth are a pretty good addition to just about any metal starter-pack.

Nodaisho

« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2010, 11:52 »

I've found Opeth to be like AC/DC and Motorhead. I love it when a song comes on in a mix, but I never listen to a whole album.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2010, 13:03 »

I have a pretty harsh judgement considering Opeth. But I keep trying thm again and again because people here seem to adore them ...

To me they are more the 'difficultly noodling around kind of metal' in stead of the 'fuck shit up death metal' ...
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2010, 13:05 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2010, 15:02 »

I also think Opeth have their moments, but some of their stuff sucks too - as in, the last few records sucked, and the last one especially. However, Orchid, Morningrise, and Still Life are all incredible albums.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2010, 15:47 »

I actually think when you take out the song 'Burden,' Watershed is a really good record, probably one of my favorites by Opeth.  Sure they are getting softer, less aggressive, but they're moving away from doing the same thing they've been doing since Still Life and experimenting a little.  Were it not this way I don't know if I would be as excited as I am to see where they go next with the record that's supposed to be coming out in 2011
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2010, 16:35 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2010, 16:28 »

I disagree, since I found it all relatively boring. "Burden" is such a rip-off of "Epitaph" by King Crimson, though.

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2010, 16:39 »

Hey Vuk, fuck you, Watershed was a great album.

Also, Opeth are monstrous live, When i saw them last year they did White cluster, Harlequin Forest, and The Lotus Eater among others.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2010, 16:56 »

Hey Vuk, fuck you, Watershed was a great album

Oh wow, every Opeth song since Blackwater Park! A compelling argument indeed.

Maybe you guys should take this to another thread? This is about death metal.

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #41 on: 11 Dec 2010, 17:00 »

Oh wow, every Opeth song since Blackwater Park! A compelling argument indeed.

Explanation, please?

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom
« Reply #42 on: 11 Dec 2010, 18:44 »

I've always been interested in how different regions of the world have idiosyncrasies in their death metal, but I've never been able to pinpoint what exactly sets Floridian death metal apart, apart from it being the first.  I asked a death metal guru kind of a guy about it once, his answer was (as it is to most questions) "listen to Altars of Madness"

Anyone have thoughts on the matter?  Any region of the world you like best in terms of the death metal it produces?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #43 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:05 »

Explanation, please?

It sounds like every single other Opeth song they've released since (and including Blackwater Park), only even more dull, poorly mixed and pedestrian, so that it essentially becomes a stodgy soup of every single cliche Opeth have developed over their career, albeit bizarrely produced as if it was a pop song.

In my opinion, the two best death-metal exporting regions of the world are Sweden and Poland.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #44 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:10 »

Hey Vuk, fuck you, Watershed was a great album
This is about death metal.

Now that's more like it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #45 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:16 »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #46 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:22 »

I will give my two cents

Asphyx: Great old school death metal, the guitar tone is just sick.
Insomnium: Pretty neat melodic death metal with a hint of melancoly, nice stuff.
Kalmah: Kind of thrashy melodic death metal,the riffs are very catchy.

... Is it me or I did not read Suffocation at all?... C'mon guys!

I also want to say that Slaughter of the Soul is overrated... There I say it. Their first 2 albums are way...WAY better.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2010, 19:24 by Mr. Doctor »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #47 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:52 »

Suffocation motherfucker!

Definitely check out..Suffocation (old only),

The first two ATG albums are very good. So is SotS.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #48 on: 11 Dec 2010, 21:39 »

OP, if you like Decapitated check out this band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FwMdS49NuI

Their influence on Decapitated's sound is pretty obvious, and I'd say they're just as good. Also, to address everyone, what are your opinions on a new Decapitated album? It wouldn't be the same without Vitek, but Vogg is still one of my favourite metal guitarists...plus his riffing on Organic Hallusinosis was insane. I think it could be good.

adulus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #49 on: 11 Dec 2010, 21:46 »

In my opinion, the two best death-metal exporting regions of the world are Sweden and Poland.

Throw France in there and you've got yourself a deal.

Their influence on Decapitated's sound is pretty obvious, and I'd say they're just as good. Also, to address everyone, what are your opinions on a new Decapitated album? It wouldn't be the same without Vitek, but Vogg is still one of my favourite metal guitarists...plus his riffing on Organic Hallusinosis was insane. I think it could be good.

I fucking love it.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2010, 21:51 by adulus »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up