THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fable 3  (Read 8963 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Fable 3
« on: 19 Dec 2010, 17:17 »

Hey guys, did you hear this was out a while back?

Did you know it's Fable 2 but more streamlined?

Did you know meh?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Fable 3
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2010, 17:40 »

Is there next-gen farting?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2010, 17:43 »

I'd say that it should've been called "Fable 2.5" but it was so awful it should be considered a step back. Good lord. Broken camera that zoomed in uncontrollably on nearly every hit in combat, an asinine new menu system that verbally reminded you to check out its Xbox Live shop every time you opened it, average graphics with inexcusably awful collision physics, and a King Mode that, while advertised to be over half the game, ended up being roughly half an hour, ending abruptly and without warning.

I've been a huge fan of the Fable series, but everything about 3 rubbed me the wrong way. I tried desperately to like it but in the end it is a horrible waste.

On the other hand, the desert sequence was pretty neat. I'd always wanted to travel across the sea to the distant land on the map, so that was cool. It's also the first time the series has had a really strange, alien villain, and I'm bummed that such a creative and interesting idea was A) barely touched upon and B) included in the weakest entry of the series. I mean, fuck. There was literally no explanation except "Hey, look! A bad guy! Kill him." Which you did, in the most mundane way possible.

Ugh.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2010, 17:47 »

So far the most fun I've had is making dresses pretty and wearing them.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2010, 19:30 »

I had fun with it, but for me it was basically an improved version of Fable 2.  I didn't understand zooming in on random enemies/people that I have killed. I'm still in the fight, I want the others dead, I know the person is dead he gave me exp.  I did like the special kill moves, though I found myself doing them way too much mostly by accident.

But god damn I loved the Crawler and was hoping we would go through a Jack of Blades thing again.  Sadly all it was was one add on part that barely even felt like a boss fight.  COME ON GUYS, YOU NEED TO GO ALL OUT FOR THE FINAL BOSS, PEOPLE WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE END OF THE SECOND ONE.

ALSO: No physical representation of how evil or good we were getting like in the last games?  Fuck you.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2010, 20:04 »

Goddamn, I remember the ending to the second one being so anticlimactic it was like a joke

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2010, 20:23 »

Lionhead is actually just trolling at this point.

Peter Molyneux

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2010, 21:17 »

It is the best thing.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2010, 21:24 »

Case in point.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2010, 21:26 »

Seriously, I played both the Fable games before this and have learned to expect jack and shit from them ever again. The first one had a good foundation but needed quite a bit of work to make it a true AAA-worthy title. The second was overhyped and underpolished, and had one of the DUMBEST FUCKING MAGIC SYSTEMS EVER. I mean, standing around and getting wailed on just to get enough of a charge to do ONE spell that might actually do damage is just poorly-constructed. I ended up only using it to dump level 1 homing blades when I couldn't be bothered to try and target.

Also, why could I not have an option to NOT make my character end up an enormous hulking brute? I made two characters, and I was kind of hoping for my female to stay somewhat smaller than a bull elephant. Upgrades to physique were necessary to make it through the game, but ruined any aesthetics i had built for the character.

Really though, it just taught me to NEVER trust Lionhead studios again. Sorry Fable 3.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Peter Molyneux

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2010, 21:42 »

Also, why could I not have an option to NOT make my character end up an enormous hulking brute? I made two characters, and I was kind of hoping for my female to stay somewhat smaller than a bull elephant. Upgrades to physique were necessary to make it through the game, but ruined any aesthetics i had built for the character.

Well working out and expecting yourself not to bulk up is a little silly isn't it.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2010, 21:49 »

I think it's fantastic the Molyneux understood our desire for a realistic property management simulator. Truly groundbreaking.

Peter Molyneux

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2010, 21:55 »

I have my finger on the pulse of the people at large.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2010, 22:08 »

Congratulations, Mr. Molyneux. Your ability to sell half-finished or broken games exceeds even the likes of Bethesda. Truly you are an idol to be admired.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2010, 22:34 »

I have my finger on the pulse of the people at large.

finger this
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kevin Barnes

• Plantmonster
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2010, 22:53 »

You aren't worthy enough to suck Richard Garriott's dick, Molyneux.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2010, 00:28 »

I made a female gunslinger in 2 and beat it pretty handily with only like one physique upgrade.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:22 »

I have a copy of this that I bought at launch and I just haven't bothered to open it and since I now have stuff like AC:Brotherhood and Vanquish I probably won't for a while

:|
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:22 »

return it and buy something worth playing instead
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:23 »

I think I probably still could but I've never actually gone through Amazon's return process so I don't know how it works

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:23 »

It's kind of impressive to me that Lionhead actually managed to go even more backward from their ambitions in this game. I didn't think it was possible.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:46 »

That pretty much sums up how I felt about Fable 3. Fable 2 was just... better in every way. There was never a moment that I was doing anything in 3 where I wasn't just thinking "I'd rather be playing Fable 2 again.".

The only things Fable 3 had going for it, in my view, was the world itself, which I liked exploring a lot more than 2's environments, and the weapon morphing system was kind of cool, albeit unpredictable. These improvements were pretty much trampled on due to the fact the level of character customisation seemed to have been scaled back in terms of actual appearance modifiers - the purity / corruption attributes coupled with good / evil made for some awesome combinations - as well as the amount of actual clothing and outfits available. That might be a minor concern and one that probably wouldn't matter so much to other people I guess, but coupled with a generally buggy, short and unfulfilling game it just serves to top off my feelings of being underwhelmed.

If / when they release another, I can only hope they restore Fable 2's pretty amazing level of customisation, make the game LONGER, and generally just actually learn from their mistakes, but I'm beginning to suspect that might be expecting too much. Fable's history is one of failing to live up to it's promises I suppose, and while usually the lack of features promised by Molyneux doesn't detract from a fairly entertaining gaming experience - I've played through Fable 2 maybe half a dozen times now and wouldn't mind doing it again - this time it just feels like, I don't know, something just went wrong somewhere.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:58 »

I think I probably still could but I've never actually gone through Amazon's return process so I don't know how it works

just go to a retail store and get store credit/exchange it for what you really want
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jan 2011, 03:31 »

I don't really check this section of the forum, so I am late to the bitchfest.

There was never a moment that I was doing anything in 3 where I wasn't just thinking "I'd rather be playing Fable 2 again.".
This is so true for me that after finishing the story in Fable 3 I re-bought Fable 2 (which we had traded in) and I am re-playing it.  It is so much better. 

Everything in 3 was so dumbed down it was ridiculous.  I don't play many fighting games because I can't remember combos and I have bad aim and bad timing.  I could play Fable 2.  I was good at it.  They didn't need to make it easier.  I didn't get knocked out once.  While I understand that this character already had combat training when the game started I was disappointing that there were no real upgrades to how I fought.  She started with aim and zoom and flourishes and so I never felt like she was improving.

I also loved the world in 2, the graphics, the people, the choices.  All of these were taken away. I was so disappointed that I couldn't choose my expressions beyond "good" or "bad."  I kept waiting to get out of the tutorial mode and get all my choices but it never happened.  I guess it was nice not to have a whole mob of people getting in my way everywhere I went, but I am their glorious leader dammit.   Also I didn't feel like I had nearly as many choices for my appearance.  Hair styles in particular seemed particularly slim. 

Also a glitch I found which annoyed me:  My family died in the most heartbreaking way.  I moved them to a new house because it had beds for the children and, while it dosen't matter to the game, I wanted my kids to have their own beds.  The house was destroyed in the attack against Logan and they all died, not 2 days after I moved them from the safety of Brightwall.  That is ok, but after their deaths I still had to pay them upkeep and I was still able to see them waving at me on the map.  At first I thought it was a nice touch for that my family could perish, but if they intended for that to be able to happen, why does half the game think they are still there?
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #24 on: 05 Jan 2011, 04:56 »

This game has a lot of flaws, while at the same time not doing anything particularly new and/or interesting (as compared to Fable 2, anyway).  It's the difference between this game (which I'll likely never play) and Alpha Protocol (which I really liked despite its flaws)
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 05:11 by Damnable Fiend »
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jan 2011, 13:03 »

Alpha Protocol was kinda like my dating life. Plain to look at, some awkward innuendo, and ultimately the franchise just never got off the ground despite the fact that I give it another go once every couple of weeks.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jan 2011, 13:54 »

Alpha Protocol was kinda like my dating life. Plain to look at, some awkward innuendo, and ultimately the franchise just never got off the ground despite the fact that I give it another go once every couple of weeks.
This person is wrong
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #27 on: 06 Jan 2011, 14:14 »

I picked up the PC copy on the cheap, what is with the camera. It has a mind of it's own.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jan 2011, 14:37 »

This person is wrong

Hey, I enjoyed Alpha Protocol. But the series isn't getting a second crack at things. Again, like me and dating.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2011, 14:41 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:14 »

I just got the collectors edition for $30 on clearance price at Best Buy.

I figured it was worth that much.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:22 »

You were wrong.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2011, 16:18 »

Peter Molyneux

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2011, 19:31 »

Don't listen to the haters.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:27 »

Fuck you

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2011, 09:35 »

Honestly one of the big reasons I got it was because it looks like a book and now I have two collectors editions that look like books.

(Allan Wake is the other one.)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2011, 11:37 »

Still have my sealed copy of this and I'm too apathetic to either play or return it. I'm running out of time if I want my money back, too.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2011, 19:29 »

Just play it, what is it going to hurt.  Besides, what else is there to get that you do not already have?

I seem to be in the minority that liked it.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2011, 20:12 »

I like that it has real co-op for once, which no matter how sub-par the gameplay is, was good enough to warrant a play through with my brother.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up