THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask Hanners a question on Formspring  (Read 69077 times)

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
Ask Hanners a question on Formspring
« on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:31 »

Just posted on Hannelore's twitter feed, you can ask her questions at this link and she will answer the best ones in the comic during the holiday break week.

Thought I'd post it here so folks who don't follow the Twitters can have an oppurtunity to participate.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
Re: Ask Hanners a question on Formspring
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:27 »

Countdown until all questions cease to be answered due to the deluge of questions about her hooking up with Marten by complete idiots.

EDIT: People should come up with different given volumes for the grains of sand question.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:22 »

That depends on whether you want corse or fine grain.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:52 »

I have to give Jeph credit for wading through what must be sheer hectares of fuckery and having Hannelore answer the relatively innocuous questions.  Bravo to your fortitude, sir.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2010, 08:33 »

I'm sorry, sir, fuckery is measured in Hogsheads, not Hectares.

(gotta be a whole damn lot of it, though..  poor Jeph!)
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:10 »

In strip 596 she talked about how she got through college, but on Formspring she said she never attended. For the wiki I decided to "teach the controversy".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2010, 13:28 »

The people who asked creepy masturbation questions should be listed on here so we can SHAME and RIDICULE them, and then we ban them from reading webcomics FOREVER.

We do that by gouging out their eyes with a silver spork then cutting off their limbs so they can't operate a computer.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2010, 13:52 »

In strip 596 she talked about how she got through college, but on Formspring she said she never attended. For the wiki I decided to "teach the controversy".

She may have been consciously joking to Marten in that strip, or she may simply be repressing unpleasant memories...

Of course, the fact that she was retconned beyond recognition after a "meds change" may have a little to do with it as well!  I have notheing against the Hannelore we know and love, but I do  sometimes wonder how she would've turned out if Jeph had developed her from where she started instead of the reboot.  It was like we got a whole new Hanners with a simple haircut!  

Although, to be fair, it was a lot more gradual than that.  But she was a real smartass, even with the OCD.  Not nearly so childlike.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2010, 15:27 »

I do  sometimes wonder how she would've turned out if Jeph had developed her from where she started instead of the reboot.

My bet is, she would have turned into her mom. Before thirty. The world would have been doomed, and it would only have been a matter of time before all other worlds followed it. Jeph knew the situation was too dangerous not to intervene.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:05 »

The people who asked creepy masturbation questions should be listed on here so we can SHAME and RIDICULE them, and then we ban them from reading webcomics FOREVER.

Ok, first of all i now that is something a complete creep would do, but don't you think that's taking it a little too far? I mean you can't get banned in formspring, and you can ask a question anonymously, there's BOUND to be a hell of a lot of creeps who want to ask stupid questions, or just want to annoy someone. And i get it, it's a stupid thing to do, but really, there's not much we can do...
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:14 »

All the creepy questions come from anonymous people. I was expecting it but still feel entitled to complain.

This was ORIGINALLY going to be for a kind of "Ask Hanners" filler week next week, but now I'm torn because I don't really want to stall the Marten's-Mom-Visits storyline for five more strips. I guess we'll see how I feel when I get home from MD on Sunday night.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:24 »

All the creepy questions come from anonymous people. I was expecting it but still feel entitled to complain.

This was ORIGINALLY going to be for a kind of "Ask Hanners" filler week next week, but now I'm torn because I don't really want to stall the Marten's-Mom-Visits storyline for five more strips. I guess we'll see how I feel when I get home from MD on Sunday night.

Kind of like the Ask Axe Cop fillers done over on that webcomic?

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:27 »

yeah, just like that..  except..  actually funny.

what the hell did I just read? Why am I on fire?
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:30 »

yeah, just like that..  except..  actually funny.

what the hell did I just read? Why am I on fire?

Axe Cop is a comic that was originally written by a 5 year old (can't remember how old he is now) and illustrated by a 22 year-old, with the money made by the site being put in the kid's college fund. The whole concept is actually pretty cool once you take that into consideration.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:25 »

(Save bandwidth and make reading easier - please don't keep quoting the post immediately above you.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2010, 10:59 »

Well you ARE the characters creator after all. And i now that i re-read my post i didn't think i made my point clear... I didn't mean that we shouldn't complain, but what i wanted to say was that since there is little much one can do about it, i think the best way to deal with it was to ignore those people....

Although now that i think about it, i would be pretty pissed off if someone said something stupid/creepy about a character i created....

*EDIT*
Fixed a typo
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 11:02 by tbones »
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2010, 15:49 »

Aww, I wanted to see how you were going to pull it off without breaking the fourth wall.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2010, 16:00 »

Save bandwidth and make reading easier - please don't keep quoting the post immediately above you.
I've seen this comment made in a number of threads. It's all well and good, but following this advice on active threads causes problems, because you've no way of knowing, until you hit Post, whether the post to which you're replying will still be immediately above by the time your reply appears on the board. Then, if it isn't, you have to go back and edit it, which is a pain.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2010, 16:05 »

But most of the time things are not that active, even here.  If you have the new post warning enabled (default), then you are still in edit mode when the warning comes up, and can just place the cursor and click the quote button next to the post concerned.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2010, 19:27 »

Regardless, unless you're quote-tunneling an image posting thread, the bandwidth on text is negligible on all but the busiest forums.

If you want to make the rule based on aesthetics, that is fine, but the bandwidth argument concerning text is silly.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 19:29 by Odin »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2010, 19:35 »

And, some of us don't have the "warning" set up.

Like, for instance, me.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2010, 20:44 »

I can imagine several ways to work the Q&A from Formspring into a series of strips, but they're all kind of lame. Fortunately the strip is in better hands than mine.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2010, 20:52 »

Then, if it isn't, you have to go back and edit it, which is a pain.

Is it really that much of a problem? I got back and edit my posts all the time, generally because I have made a spelling mistake, and it takes maybe thirty seconds.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2010, 23:52 »

If you want to make the rule based on aesthetics, that is fine, but the bandwidth argument concerning text is silly.

You're pretty much right about bandwidth, I guess - I tend to be a bit anal about it, because of my background in programming computers to do useful things with 1k of memory...   

The aesthetics - well, quite apart from the appearance on the screen, it feels to me a bit like having a conversation with someone who repeats back everything I say before replying. 

Most forums I visit are much stricter about it than I want to be, so maybe I'll bite my tongue for a bit!

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:51 »

You're pretty much right about bandwidth, I guess - I tend to be a bit anal about it, because of my background in programming computers to do useful things with 1k of memory...   

The aesthetics - well, quite apart from the appearance on the screen, it feels to me a bit like having a conversation with someone who repeats back everything I say before replying. 

Most forums I visit are much stricter about it than I want to be, so maybe I'll bite my tongue for a bit!

On the other hand, most of the other forums I frequent will probate you for failing to quote who you're replying to, so there is that as well.

Nexus

« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2010, 18:34 »

Guys. Obviously Marten's mom is going to ask her these questions. No matter how out of character it seems.

Obviously.

Though this is pretty awesome. Hanners is my favorite character and an "Ask Hanners" segment will be awesome.

http://www.formspring.me/hanneloreEC/q/1916669867

Also I fucking love whoever asked this and Jeph for answering it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up