THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 07:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Chrome OS CR-48  (Read 2856 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Google Chrome OS CR-48
« on: 10 Dec 2010, 06:07 »

Anyone get one of these? I signed up for the free sticker on the Chrome facebook page and ended up with a free netbook thingy.

It's so pretty! But I don't really "live" in my browser, so I feel super limited by the fact that I can't get out of it on this thing. And there aren't really all that many apps.

On that note, any Chrome apps you'd suggest?

http://www.chromeosforums.net/forum/chrome-os-news/25-two-great-google-cr-48-reviews.html
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: Google Chrome OS CR-48
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:00 »

I don't think this is for me. My netbook is at it's most usable when I'm doing stuff like writing in vim (and using LaTeX if stuff has to be presentable) or doing file stuff via the terminal. Even with it's tiny keyboard it is still infinitely better than dicking around with a horrible fiddly touchpad and digging through menus and struggling to move the cursor without clicking on things. I think you need to ensure that you always have wifi, you only ever do things you can do on the internet and you always have a mouse with you before this kind of thing is ok. I can't, though maybe I've become a Power User.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2010, 16:32 »

Well this is just sort of a tester - I don't think that I'd pay for it as it is now. The touchpad really isn't so terrible, though I don't use the buttons, I just tap to click. You don't always need Wifi, you get 100mb per month, free, on Verizon 3g. It's not much, but you can also buy more if you want it. I do love having a new toy to play with. And I think I'd consider getting a device like this once it's got 2 or 3 generations under its belt.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2010, 20:09 »

So I assume Google wouldn't be very pleased with you if you wiped it and installed a real OS?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:47 »

I don't think this is for me.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:14 »

So I assume Google wouldn't be very pleased with you if you wiped it and installed a real OS?

Haha - nooo. We're not allowed to give it away, or sell it, or do anything to it. Just use it as-is.

I figure this will not be a good device for a lot of people. But it seems to be along the lines of an iPad - specialized (sort of) device for people who want it on the go.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2010, 23:57 »

This is a question: How well do you think the OC could work on modern tablets?
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:39 »

I've never used a tablet so I can't compare them. But I think it has a lot of potential. You can do a lot of things just in Chrome OS; listen to Pandora, use Google Docs, play some games, and watch YouTube. You can even sync your Chrome OS browser with your Chrome browser on your home computer - so all my bookmarks have been transferred over, and I could also transfer apps and extensions if I wanted to. I think with a bit more work it could work very well.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:37 »

I don't see this doing well for a working computer, since I like to be able to do stuff even when I'm not connected, i.e. going through my inbox, writing essays, and reading articles, so I keep my documents and e-mail saved locally and don't need to go to gmail or google docs for it. Mobile functionality, however, seems ideal for this sort of thing. Mobile devices like smartphones and tablets have connectivity as their #1 goal, so using Chrome OS on a netbook on your way to work/home to read news and connect with people is just what I'd use it for.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

proxious

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2010, 20:39 »

thanks for the heads up folks
Pages: [1]   Go Up