THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 17:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: QC as a show on Adult Swim.  (Read 18922 times)

ZERO

• Plantmonster
QC as a show on Adult Swim.
« on: 21 Dec 2010, 23:15 »

Yea or nay?

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: QC as a show on Adult Swim.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2010, 23:37 »

I don't see it happening, or at least not happening in a good way.

Still, if it did come out I'd catch it on netflix or hulu.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2010, 00:50 »

Jeph makes his living off QC, and isn't going to want to dilute that by letting others take some of the income.  As he wrote on twitter a couple of days ago (edited, 'cos twitter's being weird for me):

They are making money off of content I PRODUCE. That's NOT OKAY.
I hate sounding like the fuckin' RIAA here but it's important, people visiting my website/RSS feed is how I make money to buy food.

So let's not encourage that, eh?

(I don't know Adult Swim, but a look at it doesn't make me think that Jeph would want to know.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:25 »

Adult Swim is Cartoon Network's late night line up, and if QC were to be produced for them, I'm sure Jeph would be handsomely compensated, but it's about as likely to happen as me being elected to the United States Senate.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:27 »

Even if Jeph isn't fond of the idea, I could definitely imagine this being a TV series of some sort. And for some reason, my inside voice always depicts David Schwimmer as Marten. 0_o Probably because he reminds me so much of Ross from Friends. lol

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:38 »

Not saying it'll ever happen, but if it does, I'm totally available to do voice work.  :-)

Seriously, Jeph, throw me a bone here...I'll even voice Pintsize! : P
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:39 »

Adult Swim is Cartoon Network's late night line up,

Ah, OK.  Thanks.  I still agree that it's not likely, anyway; any more than a film - which has been discussed here a few times before.  I just don't think either would suit Jeph's manner and speed of working, and I'm sure he wouldn't want anyone else to have creative input to his characters while it's going well for him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Daris

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:39 »

I actually would not enjoy that!   I really have no idea why, but it doesn't fit the mood in my mind of any television things.  Although, I don't like Television that much.
In the real world
as in dreams
nothing is quite
what it seems.
--Book of Counted Sorrows

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:47 »

Ah, OK.  Thanks.  I still agree that it's not likely, anyway; any more than a film - which has been discussed here a few times before.  I just don't think either would suit Jeph's manner and speed of working, and I'm sure he wouldn't want anyone else to have creative input to his characters while it's going well for him.

Plus the entire run of the strip would only cover half a season's worth of episodes (and it flat out could not compete with the other shows that run on Adult Swim).

For reference, see The Venture Brothers: http://www.adultswim.com/shows/the-venture-bros/video.html

Probably the best show on Adult Swim right now (I highly recommend the clip about defining a "Rusty Venture").

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:39 »

Ah, OK.  Thanks.  I still agree that it's not likely, anyway; any more than a film - which has been discussed here a few times before.  I just don't think either would suit Jeph's manner and speed of working, and I'm sure he wouldn't want anyone else to have creative input to his characters while it's going well for him.
Pretty sure people only care about "QC on film!" because they get to compile their fantasy cast-list. I mean, Hugh Jackman as Steve? Olivia Wilde as Penne-lope? Like they'd even show up for casting...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:49 »

Quite so.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:14 »

I think you're mistaken.

Consider the success of the transition of the Boondocks from strip to cartoon, on Adult Swim. Naturally the product was rather different but the inherent defining elements were retained and in some cases enhanced. It allowed for exploration of ideas and themes in ways that wouldn't have been possible in the strip. I also don't think there's any necessity for famous names to do the voicing.

I'm not suggesting that Jeph would, or even should do this. I'm just saying that QC very much has the potential to translate to an animated programme format.

Rose, don't write off famous people interested in castings. Boondocks managed to attract Samuel L. Jackson. (As mentioned uppost, he wasn't necessary and the programme wouldn't have suffered for his absence.)
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 06:16 by The Seldom Killer »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:19 »

Of course, he could always do the animation and such himself, and put the shows up on his own website as premium extras...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2010, 07:47 »

I think you're mistaken.

Consider the success of the transition of the Boondocks from strip to cartoon, on Adult Swim. Naturally the product was rather different but the inherent defining elements were retained and in some cases enhanced. It allowed for exploration of ideas and themes in ways that wouldn't have been possible in the strip. I also don't think there's any necessity for famous names to do the voicing.

I'm not suggesting that Jeph would, or even should do this. I'm just saying that QC very much has the potential to translate to an animated programme format.

Rose, don't write off famous people interested in castings. Boondocks managed to attract Samuel L. Jackson. (As mentioned uppost, he wasn't necessary and the programme wouldn't have suffered for his absence.)

Forget Adult Swim, I'm thinking that if you take the voices of Richard Steven Horvitz, Grey Delisle, Greg Eagles, Jennifer Hale and Racheal MacFarlane you'd be pretty much set (from the cast of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, if you must know).

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:27 »

never gonna happen

*unless they give me lots and lots of money
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:34 »

never gonna happen

You have to have an idea for a show that will draw lots and lots of viewers (and a pilot episode already put together) in order to get that kind of offer.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:50 »

never gonna happen

You have an idea for a show that will draw lots and lots of viewers in order to get that kind of offer.

Fixed

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:10 »

QC is fairly popular for a web comic, I don't think it has anything that would make it an out of the box hit as a TV show. If you pitched "a cartoon about hip 20-somethings in modern America, but they also own robots" most execs would hear "Mission Hill, but they own robots." Mission Hill is not a picture of success.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2010, 10:30 »

Fixed

If by "Fixed" you mean "I have no idea what would actually be successful on TV", then sure, go with that.

QC is funny in a "makes you chuckle occasionally" kind of way, but it is in no way capable of sustaining a TV show in a television environment that is post-Friends and currently runs stuff like (as Benji mentions) Mission Hill.

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:21 »

EDIT: Ah, missed that he removed 'to have'. 

And I was beat to the mission hill reference. Ah well.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 11:30 by someone1074 »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:41 »

Not a fan of Adult Swim (when I could get it).  Not really my cup of Coffee.

QC might, I repeat MIGHT work as an Anime or Anime style cartoon if it were ever produced.

It's and interesting thought though.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2010, 18:05 »

I can't imagine reaching agreement about creative control.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2010, 19:14 »

Well, unless Jeph kidnaps the Producers families.

Should I be giving him such ideas??
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Laminator_X

• Not quite a lurker
    • Complaint Department
« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2010, 21:50 »

If The Boonocks hasn't had that problem, I can't imagine QC would.  It would all depend on the deal, of course.

I would think that the radically different pace of storytelling would be the bigger challenge, but what do I know.

ZERO

• Plantmonster
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2010, 23:28 »

never gonna happen

Worth a shot.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2010, 23:31 »

Fixed

If by "Fixed" you mean "I have no idea what would actually be successful on TV", then sure, go with that.

QC is funny in a "makes you chuckle occasionally" kind of way, but it is in no way capable of sustaining a TV show in a television environment that is post-Friends and currently runs stuff like (as Benji mentions) Mission Hill.

Sorry, to my shame I imported an in joke from another forum. I really shouldn't have done that but I may have had a "rejuvenating" lunch yesterday.

I think you're wrong though. The underpinning scenario, quality of storytelling and depth of development for QC is more than capable of sustaining a TV show. I also think it would mix in well with other programming. It doesn't have to be the same to do well. Remember when Ren & Stimpy used to do well? There was sure as hell nothing else like that within a hundred viewing hours on any channel. Equally, The Simpsons in the UK sits between Deal or No Deal and Hollyoaks. Don't underestimate a receptive audience.

I'm not saying that QC should be made into a TV show, just speculating that if it were, it has the potential to succeed as a product that would be identifiable and relevant as QC. Although my initial reference to the Boondocks isn't entirely flawless. In creating the TV series, McGruder decided to discontinue the comic strip.

ZERO

• Plantmonster
« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2010, 23:48 »

I'm hardcore into the traditional superhero comics. I only started reading QC because a friend showed it to me. I've been hooked ever since. I have not been a fan for very long, but I could see how the appeal of the strip could be translated into a successful animated series. It's just a matter of the right place and the right time. You can't dispute that, Jeph.

Besides, someone has got to stop Cartoon Network from becoming MTV. I'm seeing far too many people on the channel that AREN'T ANIMATED.

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #27 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:06 »

All I can add is that were I to create a successful comic or writing material, I would be MADDENED if I could not maintain creative control. Selfish as it may sound, I put the work into it, it's MY story. I remember Jeph saying (somewhere, I regretfully cannot source) that he would only relinquish the rights to QC if he was payed enough to never have to work again.  :roll: So, I can see how he would be happier just doing things as he does.

Besides, we would ALL be unhappy with at least one of the voice acting choices!

And in regards to doing animation himself, I think Jeph has mentioned an aversion to Flash in the "Ask Jeph" thread.
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

Insignificant

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2010, 23:08 »

Yes, but it's highly unlikely. And it would only be worth it if Jeph had serious creative control, or at least one hell of a writing/animation staff to fill in any gaps...
"If we get customers like that I quit."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #29 on: 25 Dec 2010, 12:34 »

QC as a show wouldn't work, not unless Jeph had absolute, 100% control of the show. Which wouldn't happen if it was picked up by any company, and if it did, the strip would suffer badly. Executive meddling would ruin the show, in fact I can just see it now, the guys-in-suits in their boardroom brainstorming, pitching ideas to Jeph, "Does Pintsize need to be so offensive? How about we make Dora a permanent blonde? Let's make Faye thinner. Does Marten's mother really need to be a fetish model? How about we make her a housewife and she's still together with Henry, and he isn't gay."

I can also see a news report about a webcomic writer going on a rampage targeting executives.

Insignificant

• Plantmonster
« Reply #30 on: 25 Dec 2010, 15:16 »

Then again, it's also likely at least one savvy advisor on staff would quickly realise that that's all part of the freakin' appeal. And if they've got a network that can get away with it...

I could see it being a detriment to the comic, though. Which would, naturally, utterly suck.

akronnick

« Reply #31 on: 25 Dec 2010, 19:29 »

That's not how entertainment execs think.

They think: "we're gonna get the 'core' audience, they'll watch no matter what. Let's go for a wider audience!"

And they turn everything into Mickey fucking Mouse.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #32 on: 25 Dec 2010, 19:31 »

QC as a show wouldn't work, not unless Jeph had absolute, 100% control of the show. Which wouldn't happen if it was picked up by any company, and if it did, the strip would suffer badly. Executive meddling would ruin the show, in fact I can just see it now, the guys-in-suits in their boardroom brainstorming, pitching ideas to Jeph, "Does Pintsize need to be so offensive? How about we make Dora a permanent blonde? Let's make Faye thinner. Does Marten's mother really need to be a fetish model? How about we make her a housewife and she's still together with Henry, and he isn't gay."

I can also see a news report about a webcomic writer going on a rampage targeting executives.
Are you familiar with Adult Swim at all? They are more likely to give Pintsize a more prominent role making abortion jokes and have Marten's mom walking around in bondage gear all the time.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

TheEvilDog

« Reply #33 on: 25 Dec 2010, 19:44 »

Are you familiar with Adult Swim at all? They are more likely to give Pintsize a more prominent role making abortion jokes and have Marten's mom walking around in bondage gear all the time.

I am fully aware of Adult Swim, any night I wasn't studying or going out for a drink in colege were spent watching Adult Swim. But its not the only company who would be interested in producing a show (hypothetically). And while this topic is about Adult Swim, my point was more about those other companies.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #34 on: 26 Dec 2010, 17:58 »

If the rest of Adult Swim's original programming is any indication, a QC show would take the strip, rip out anything even remotely humorous, replace it with repeated gross-out/sex/violence jokes and have none of the wit of the strip.

There's a reason why Bill Watterson refused to allow his show to be animated, despite multiple offers.

Modern TV is the purest distillation of idiocy.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #35 on: 26 Dec 2010, 22:45 »

If the rest of Adult Swim's original programming is any indication, a QC show would take the strip, rip out anything even remotely humorous, replace it with repeated gross-out/sex/violence jokes and have none of the wit of the strip.

Seriously. The only good original shows they have left are Venture Bros (which has a glacial production rate), and maybe Metalocalypse (if it's still in production at all). They killed Brak and Sealab, most of their slots are padded out by Seth McFamilyguy*, and everything else jumped the shark a couple years ago. :|

it's about as likely to happen as me being elected to the United States Senate.

Hell, I'd vote for you. :mrgreen:

*King of the Hill is okay most of the time. If you disagree I'm afraid I'll have to use my pocket sand.

akronnick

« Reply #36 on: 26 Dec 2010, 23:59 »

Thanks, but I'm afraid very few people in my state would vote for a bisexual atheist socialist.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #37 on: 27 Dec 2010, 00:52 »

Unless, of course, you live in either Hawaii or Massachusetts.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #38 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:22 »

TV sucks.  It's an insult to even suggest QC should be on such a lowly medium  :x

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #39 on: 27 Dec 2010, 14:14 »

Only if he ran against Coakley.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

ZERO

• Plantmonster
« Reply #40 on: 27 Dec 2010, 16:53 »

TV sucks.  It's an insult to even suggest QC should be on such a lowly medium  :x

Oh noes!  :cry: Eye sorry.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #41 on: 27 Dec 2010, 17:33 »

Not all  TV sucks, just most of it.  There are a few (very few) things that TV does well, but I can't see QC being one of them. 

Some comics can make the transition to movies or TV (though not without a lot of changes in most cases), but Jeph has become such a master of the medium that divorcing the content from its comic format would could cause it to lose a great deal of timing and humor, not to mention its realism.  When we can associate the actions of the characters with those of real people we know in real life, we provide the timing ourselves, making it that much more real to our way of thinking.  Having someone act it out or animate it may work for many of us, but it would also be wrong or 'just off" enough that a lot of people would complain that it wasn't as good as the comic.  Not to mention the voice actor issues - I mean, if the timbre of Marten's voice wasn't as you imagined, it would throw you every time you heard it.  Eventually you'd get used to it, and then you'd hear it that way when you read the comic, and I think that's even more disturbing. 

Sure, it's a neat idea, and the fact that you thought of it marks your enthusiam fo the comic as high.  But I (and it seems, a lot of others) don't see it being feasable. 

Either that, or it would make it too mainstream for us.  You know, we  were reading it back when it was a webcomic, before it got all popular!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #42 on: 27 Dec 2010, 23:47 »

QC would make a really crappy tv show. Like REALLY bad.
Hate, rain on me

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #43 on: 28 Dec 2010, 20:31 »

For some reason, while imagining a QC TV show I keep thinking of the show Mission Hill, not really the same exactly but I could see a similar humor style working.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #44 on: 30 Dec 2010, 01:57 »

Well, we did elect a genderless person to office. And she did kill civil unions.

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #45 on: 30 Dec 2010, 14:57 »

I could see it working in Robot chicken like 15 minute chunks, but a full 30 minute show....I don't know. The risk of making it anything remotely close to an animated Friends lite with Robots would be really high. I'm not to keen on that Idea.

I would totally pay a monthly fee to get an animated series from the site though. Use the characters and the universe, just different stories.....which sounds like a shit ton of work....and extra work sucks....

know what, I'm good with just the comic.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Doctor Online

• Emoticontraindication
  • Dat Triforce
« Reply #46 on: 31 Dec 2010, 10:11 »

Besides, someone has got to stop Cartoon Network from becoming MTV. I'm seeing far too many people on the channel that AREN'T ANIMATED.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.  :|

Insignificant

• Plantmonster
« Reply #47 on: 02 Jan 2011, 07:57 »

Thanks, but I'm afraid very few people in my state would vote for a bisexual atheist socialist.

Holy crap! That's me!

And, ironically enough, I've actually considered running for political office...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #48 on: 02 Jan 2011, 11:10 »

You'd be surprised who people will vote for.  I know I am. 

Sometimes, it's even a pleasant surprise! 

And no, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head from the 2010 election...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

AsinineAxioms

• Plantmonster
  • Longtime Lurker
    • Asinine Axioms
« Reply #49 on: 02 Jan 2011, 11:25 »

I don't think QC would work well as a regular television show, but I don't think we'd lose any of the fundamental characteristics of the comic if a few strips were turned into one-off animations.

Proof?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up