Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beats  (Read 11963 times)

Jamee

• Not quite a lurker
  • They call me coffee.
Beats
« on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:46 »

Kay, so I just some Dr. Dre Beats Solo HD RED Special Edition (takes deep breath) headphones, and I would like to dedicate this thread to their sheer amazingness. The sound is unbelievably clear. I can literally feel the  bass in my skull (I'm not sure if this is healthy, but it makes me feel like there's an earthquake in my head. Which is pretty fucking cool).

So do any of ya'll have Beats? If you do, feel free to discuss their insanely epic qualities here.

VIVA LA BEATS.

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 12:53 by Jamee »
[04:14:37 PM] * Belle flaunts.
[04:14:38 PM] * Jamee{Brb} is now known as Jamee
[04:14:41 PM] <Belle> See?
[04:14:47 PM] <Belle> Even Jamee comes back when I flaunt.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: Beats
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:02 »

I still don't get that thing, does it only work with that specific combination of words? I tried adding the same things or removing some, and then it doesn't work.

Damnit Google, make your easter eggs more consistent.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:15 »

Is that an actual easter egg or is it just a specific utilization of their translation program?

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:31 »

Just to go back to the original topic for a moment, someone mentioned these to me about a week ago but when I priced them they were insanely expensive and I really couldn't imagine many being sold because there are so many other options out there in this price range. I found them for around £230 (~$350) but I wonder if you paid less for them (the OP)?
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Jamee

• Not quite a lurker
  • They call me coffee.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:35 »

Just to go back to the original topic for a moment, someone mentioned these to me about a week ago but when I priced them they were insanely expensive and I really couldn't imagine many being sold because there are so many other options out there in this price range. I found them for around £230 (~$350) but I wonder if you paid less for them (the OP)?

Oh God yes. I paid about $170. The most expensive I saw was $230, on Dr Dre's website. Where you lookin', boy?!

sean

• welp
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:37 »

oh guys did you know i can beatbox myself a lil bit too. its a thing i do sometimes when im walking somewhere and i am bored.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

the_pied_piper

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:45 »

Oh God yes. I paid about $170. The most expensive I saw was $230, on Dr Dre's website. Where you lookin', boy?!

Amazon and other online stores. Still seems a bit pricey for those to be honest but I've not had a chance to try some out so they might be great. Not a big fan of the design though, they look cheap.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Jamee

• Not quite a lurker
  • They call me coffee.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:46 »

Also, I've listened to a few songs that sound completely amazing with my Beats.

Like...
Don't Trust me-3OH!3
Like a G6-Far East Movement
Empire State of Mind--Jay Z
Bottoms Up-Trey Songz

You get the idea. Basically anything with a really strong bass line.  

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:48 »

these headphones are for people that don't realize sennheisers exist.

or are looking for "cool" things? that are overpriced?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Jamee

• Not quite a lurker
  • They call me coffee.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:49 »

Amazon and other online stores. Still seems a bit pricey for those to be honest but I've not had a chance to try some out so they might be great. Not a big fan of the design though, they look cheap.

Really? I never thought they looked cheap. They sure as hell don't feel cheap...And like I said, I've never heard a better sound from headphones ;-; It sounds like you're right in the studio with the artist.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 13:52 by Jamee »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2010, 13:58 »

these headphones are for people that don't realize sennheisers exist.

or are looking for "cool" things? that are overpriced?

I use my Sennheiser studio monitors for pretty much all my music, or to occasionally plug into my amp.  If there is a need for anything better I have long since lost that frequency to punk shows.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2010, 14:00 »

sennheisers don't come in red, dude

limited edition red
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Jamee

• Not quite a lurker
  • They call me coffee.
« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2010, 14:06 »

They also have ControlTalk and a built in mic that pics up sound beautifully. >_>

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2010, 14:09 »

I have no idea if any headphones more recent than my beat up old Grado SR80s are worth a damn. I've heard a few really nice senns that were better than my grados, but not for $100, and beyond that price point I'd rather spend my cash on speakers instead.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2010, 16:22 by KickThatBathProf »
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2010, 15:35 »

Having tried them out, I couldn't tell the difference between them and the 25$ pair of Sony headphones I got at Best Buy 2 years ago.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Retne

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2010, 20:03 »

They were demoing these at Best Buy last time I walked through. I listened to them and all but the most expensive set suffer from what most of the lower end headphones suffer from: overpumped bass. It's like someone built a really crap EQ filter on the inside. Granted the top end model actually had decent sound reproduction but for that price I could buy a studio monitor that would do the job better honestly(not to mention the cheaper model headphones that do the job just as good).

By the way if you're in the market for headphones on the cheap and don't care about isolation I hear good things about JVC Flats.

Bleh can't believe I just registered to type that.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2010, 20:25 »

Yeah that's really what I don't get: when I listen to music I want it to be reproduced faithfully, not shittily-but-increasingly-louder-as-frequency-decreases. I mean occasionally it's nice to listen to a song and be able to say "oh hey, that's what those lower frequencies are up to this entire time!" but even when I listen to bass-heavy stuff I try borrowing my friend's pair of these and within one or two songs I go back to my Sennheisers. Maybe it's just a different mindset.

(But uh the Sennheisers were $60 on eBay so it seems like my mindset is more affordable)
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #20 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:18 »

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 that I have had for three years and I got for pretty cheap in some deal (70 bucks). They still sound perfect, are incredibly comfortable, and block out most other noise. I've had to re-attach the audio jack but that is because they're really studio headphones and I used them to walk around with, so that was my own fault.

For walking around I use crappy 9 dollar headphone pods because I don't mind if they break, and well, I want to hear the city as well, so I don't need to cancel out noise, and I don't need incredibly sound when I'm walking from point A to point B.

Is that an actual easter egg or is it just a specific utilization of their translation program?

Reckon it's an easteregg because the link actually changes to 'beatbox' to listen?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:28 »

I got a pair of the Beats Studios (the big fuck-off expensive ones) because I had a giftcard, plus a special like 55% discount from work. They sound great, but the craftsmanship on them is pretty wank. There was a period where we were replacing the Beats Solos headphones on the floor once a week because the middle band kept snapping in half, and one of the plastic panels on mine has cracked (after only a little under a year of owning them), so I have to snap it back together whenever I pick them up. I'll probably end up just duct taping it.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2010, 03:29 »

Like...
Don't Trust me-3OH!3
Bottoms Up-Trey Songz

Aka kiddyclub tunes that are overly bass heavy and don't actually require decent sound reproduction to appreciate? Hunting for some decent in ear buds at the moment myself. I'm surprised there isn't more market for customisable headphones, I want decent sound quality and a cool look but apparently I cant have both...
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #23 on: 27 Dec 2010, 07:56 »

Hey guys

Also, at Rizzo, I recommend the Radius HP-TWF11K headphones. They look decent enough and have incredible sound quality (more soundstage than those 350  dollar (that I paid 250 for) Denons I just posted).

http://www.accessoryjack.com/-strse-1915/Radius-HP-dsh-TWF11K-HP-dsh-TWF11-Pro/Detail.bok

If you really want to drop a lot of cash on earphones you can go and get new tips or whatever made specially to fit your ears..not sure where exactly you would go to have that done.

Also, for the love of god buy quality headphones, not the garbage in the first post. For one I've dropped my Denon's many times and..nothing, the frame is made out of magnesium and extremely well built.

Edit:

Those radius earbuds can go lower in terms of frequency than the Beats, lol

Radius Frequency: 10 - 18,000 Hz
Monster Beats by Dr. Dre: 20 - 20,000 Hz

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-beats-by-dr/4505-7877_7-33192353.html#reviewPage1

And then my Denons do 5 - 45000 Hz
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2010, 11:07 by Be My Head »

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2010, 08:06 »

Like...
Don't Trust me-3OH!3
Bottoms Up-Trey Songz

Aka kiddyclub tunes that are overly bass heavy and don't actually require decent sound reproduction to appreciate? Hunting for some decent in ear buds at the moment myself. I'm surprised there isn't more market for customisable headphones, I want decent sound quality and a cool look but apparently I cant have both...

For in-ear buds, Creative's EP-630 or EP-830 are both great and inexpensive. I've had the 630's for years and my only complaint is probably the cord, it's a tad short and really "rubbery," and when it gets jerked around you can hear it all too well, so they're not recommended for active activities like exercise.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2010, 15:14 »

i was gonna make another thread called "real headphones" to ask this question, but apparently this thread turned into that naturally?

i got a pod recently and need to up my headphone game with some srs studio monitors. looking for comfy, closed-ear headphones with a longish cord and a 1/4" out. it would be nice if they were cheaper so i could buy them right away, but i don't mind holding out for really nice things!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2010, 15:43 »

Lots of hi-fi conscious folks seem to like Grado headphones, particularly the Prestige series. The sr80i model can be had for under $100. Caveats are that they are open-backed design so they don't isolate very well, but if you're just using them at home that shouldn't matter a bit (on the upside, having open backs reportedly makes them far more comfortable to use for sustained periods of time) and that the foam pads wear out pretty easily and are supposed to be somewhat uncomfortable. Those can be replaced pretty easily though.

I think for my next set of headphones I'm gonna go with Shure SRH440's. A friend had a pair that I borrowed for a mixing session and I was rather enamoured with them, and I think they're rather pretty. I'll probably check out whatever Sennheiser has as well, seeing as there's absolutely nothing wrong with my old HD280's (aside from having the shit beaten out of them), I just feel like a change.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2010, 16:39 »

Comfy, closed-deck phones, relatively cheap... that'd be the Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO. Not that cheap, but an incredible value for the money. They are my work headphones, to drown out my annoying cow orker(s). That means I wear them basically all day, so "comfy" is a must. My Sennheiser HD650s sound better and are even more comfortable, but they're quite a bit more expensive and open-deck. (Just gotta brag a little. :) )
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #28 on: 27 Dec 2010, 19:02 »

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD465s for home/winter use (they're too hot to wear in summer) so I'm sorted for the most part, I'm just looking primarily for some good quality/reasonably priced earbuds as I've already mentioned.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #29 on: 28 Dec 2010, 15:59 »

Lots of hi-fi conscious folks seem to like Grado headphones, particularly the Prestige series. The sr80i model can be had for under $100. Caveats are that they are open-backed design so they don't isolate very well, but if you're just using them at home that shouldn't matter a bit (on the upside, having open backs reportedly makes them far more comfortable to use for sustained periods of time) and that the foam pads wear out pretty easily and are supposed to be somewhat uncomfortable. Those can be replaced pretty easily though.

All true. Some mp3 players have a fairly rough time driving SR80s as well, so I kinda think of SR80s as a niche product-- they served me best back when I was splitting an apartment and I wanted to have a nice listening experience without deafening my neighbors. They leak sound like mad, but they're still just headphones so only the guy who sits next to you on the bus will hate you for using them. These days, I mostly listen to my music via speakers since I have a bigger place now.

But anyway, if you're just going to be schlepping around an MP3 player instead of hunkering down at home and don't require in-ear phones* then I'd suggest the good ol' porta-pro.**

*I know jack shit about in-ear phones. The "insider your head" soundstage bugs me if I'm not listening to electronic music, so I never really investigated them much. I'd rather have good "all-arounders" than something that'll make me a li'l crazy when listening to Bob Dylan.

**Disclaimer: I am cheap as hell and I haven't bought headphones since like '01, so maybe something has dethroned the Porta-Pros at their ridiculous price point by now. I rather doubt it, even if they are kinda muddy.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2010, 16:31 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

alexaub

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #30 on: 28 Dec 2010, 18:21 »

I got a pair of Solo HD-REDs for my birthday about six months ago, and wouldn't have paid more than $40 for them. Yes, the bass is strong as hell, but to the detriment of everything else. The overall sound is very muddy for the most part, especially in the mids. The construction is also incredibly cheap. Speakers rattle when walking, and the swiveling part of the ear cups can become dislodged easily.

Beats are insanely overpriced, buy Sennheisers.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #31 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:14 »

I could never get into Grados, because I refuse to buy supra-auaral headphones. I can't wear them for long periods of time, which is a requirement.

As far as in-ear goes in relation to soundstage, I don't think the type of headphone makes much difference. It's the original mix, plus whatever else you have to modify it (Total Bithead). You can be "inside-your-head" with circumaurals and "holy-shit-it's-right-in-front-of-me" with in-ears.

Okay, very loosely-related note... I got my wife a Casio CDP-100 keyboard for Christmas. That thing has AMAZING sound through headphones. I was using my open-deck Sennheisers and I thought the speakers on the piano were still active with the headphones plugged in. I took off the headphones - dead silent. It freaked me out. I looked like an idiot, taking off the phones to check every few seconds, grinning madly.
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!
Pages: [1]   Go Up