THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Year End Edition Dec 27-31, 2010 (1826-1830)  (Read 56341 times)

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
Re: WCDT Year End Edition Dec 27-31, 2010 (1826-1830)
« Reply #50 on: 27 Dec 2010, 21:49 »

Quote from: twitter.com/jephjacques
Script's done. It's a regular QC!
Regular in the sense of none of the characters in the previous script, or regular in the sense of very-slightly-plot-advancing, or regular in the sense that Faye in the CoD bathroom is not?

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #51 on: 27 Dec 2010, 22:15 »

Randy = Capt. Jack Harkness.

Please tell me someone gets this reference.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #52 on: 27 Dec 2010, 23:47 »

@Carl-E: I do remember your "Zombie-Hannelore" from my lurking days. Nice editing!
@iduguphergrave: I also liked your Momo-chan. For me that Momo in that strip defines comic relief. Also, bingo on #1812 :oops:.

My icon is just a cut+copy+paste -job. I would not dare touch it up. I guess it may be ok to use it in this closed forum.  I agree with Akima that it sounds silly to call upon copyright laws here. But in order to be on the safe side I would never consider using it anywhere else.

QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #53 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:25 »

I'm guessing by the look on Veronica's face that she either A) Knows she's gone too far, or B) Has crossed a pre-established line.

We'll find out tomorrow, or whenever, as I echo the call for moar Sweet Tits.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #54 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:25 »

Marten, at this point is a race car, and he's running in the red.

And you don't run a fuckin' race car in the fuckin' red, he could blow...

He's about to be a Mushroom-cloud-layin'-mothafucka, mothafucka!

He's supa-fly TNT!

He's the Guns of the Navaronne!

Apologies to Quentin Tarantino, John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackon.
Those that don't like the word 'Fuck' can go fuck themselves
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #55 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:26 »

Is there no end to Marten's embarrassment?  But will he fly into a rage, simmer resentfully, or just reach a state of mute acceptance?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #56 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:27 »

Oh man...aww jeez...this is the first time since the "Veronica returns" arc started that I genuinely felt bad for Marten. The look on his face is just...utter resignation. I mean, it's  one thing to try and sway his anger towards his mother (as we've theorized) but what if it backfires and he just buckles under the weight of all the humiliation he's faced in the past two/three days? I mean, this is rapid-fire embarrassment!

I can handle anger, I can handle sadness, but don't give me humiliation. That really hits me.  :-(
I don't know what it was about this strip, but it just felt really...off to me. Maybe because one of my biggest peeves is when people bring up my embarrassing moments; I'm far too self-conscious and have too little self-esteem to just let the past go.
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #57 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:31 »

Is there no end to Marten's embarrassment?  But will he fly into a rage, simmer resentfully, or just reach a state of mute acceptance?

I'd guess that if this is the event that triggers some sort of accumulated reaction, he'll tell Veronica she's worn out her welcome and that she has to leave...

...she'll try to argue her way around such a demand, but I suspect Marten won't have any of it, as this particular event has obviously happened before.

I'm guessing, however, that he has still more to suffer through before he finally snaps.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2010, 01:34 by Delator »

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #58 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:40 »

No, but Rowan Atkinson is Doctor Who.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #59 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:47 »

I love the subtle yet very effective change in expression in Marten's face between panels two and three. Right from the "tired haze gaze" to the "Please tell me that's not what I think it is!" Pretty funny  :lol:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #60 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:54 »

It looks just like a Telefunken U47.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #61 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:01 »

What I find most hilarious is the expression on the girls' faces.

Et tu, Hanners?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #62 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:19 »

It never ceases to amaze me how much Jeph can pack into the directions of the actors/actresses gazes.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #63 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:08 »

Is there no end to Marten's embarrassment?  But will he fly into a rage, simmer resentfully, or just reach a state of mute acceptance?

He may decide to no longer endure this humiliation sober. That may be his breaking point, and he may be so "broken" that he may not care about possible consequences of another bender. Remember this IS a guy who has a habit of hitting the bottle when things go drastically wrong in his life...
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:43 »

I think nearly everyone does.

But it's not funny.  Unless Randy starts hooking up with space aliens.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #65 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:47 »

He may decide to no longer endure this humiliation sober. That may be his breaking point, and he may be so "broken" that he may not care about possible consequences of another bender. Remember this IS a guy who has a habit of hitting the bottle when things go drastically wrong in his life...

Your comment made me think, about how drunk he was because Dora broke up with him. Or when Faye told him she couldn't be together with him.
Why is that hitting him so hard, and why does he think drinking makes it better? He planned to get drunk. ALONE. (Yes, that makes it worse. If he'd started the emergency burbon with Faye, that would have been totally different).

While he did that, I don't think he will be hitting the bottle now, not with his mother and the girls around.

And what I noticed, too: I don't want to sound harsh, but this is what happened: Dora broke up with him. Woo, big deal. Yes, it's depressing, but it's nothing really drastic. Drastic would be discovering he or one of his family or friends had a severe illness or something, and I think his mother is right to try and lighten the mood with jokes and embarrassment and baby pictures (yes, I'd be angry out too if my mother did this to me, but at least I'd be angry, not moping).

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #66 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:02 »

And what I noticed, too: I don't want to sound harsh, but this is what happened: Dora broke up with him. Woo, big deal. Yes, it's depressing, but it's nothing really drastic. Drastic would be discovering he or one of his family or friends had a severe illness or something, and I think his mother is right to try and lighten the mood with jokes and embarrassment and baby pictures (yes, I'd be angry out too if my mother did this to me, but at least I'd be angry, not moping).

I kind of disagree with his depression being a 'whoo, big deal' kind of thing.  When you're in a long-term relationship and it just...ends like that, particularly the way that it did, it can feel like someone died.  Hell, after my last break-up I cried for weeks and still had moments as far as six months out after where I'd find myself driving into work and some U2 song or something would come on the radio and the next thing I knew, tears were streaming down my face.  He really loved Dora, and now she's gone.

That being said, I agree that his mom's totally doing the right thing in trying to pull him out of it, and I think Marten knows that.  Even if he throws a hissy in the next storyline strip we see, he'll probably accept that she's just being Mom by the end of it.  I don't see any reason why Veronica's behavior should push this into a whole melodramatic storyline at all.

I'd just be surprised if he didn't call his dad at some point for advice on how to deal with Mom.  :wink:

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #67 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:05 »

...I think his mother is right to try and lighten the mood with jokes and embarrassment and baby pictures (yes, I'd be angry out too if my mother did this to me, but at least I'd be angry, not moping).

I'll let others address any other points, but I wanted to make a comment on this.

I agree that helping Marten may be the motivation behind Veronicas actions, and she certainly has her heart in the right place.

It seems to me though that Marten has routinely had to deal with the fact that the women in his life tend to use an emotional front when dealing with him to hide the reality underneath.

He's probably kinda sick of it...he probably thinks she should treat him like an adult instead of a kid.

Just my thought on it.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #68 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:22 »

I think this might be the moment when Marten breaks and the walls come crumbling down. The real question might be, what are we going to find once they're down? Simmering mass of anger and hatred about to blow, or another set of walls of quiet acceptance?

Put it this way, if its the former, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone was told a few home truths.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #69 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:32 »

I think this might be the moment when Marten breaks and the walls come crumbling down. The real question might be, what are we going to find once they're down? Simmering mass of anger and hatred about to blow, or another set of walls of quiet acceptance?

Put it this way, if its the former, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone was told a few home truths.

Here's a possibility that would tie a couple storylines together... I doubt Jeph would do it, but... suicide attempt? I don't think, given that Marten is pretty much the central character, it would be a successful one unless Jeph decided to end the comic soon, but a failed attempt would send massive shockwaves of drama through the entire cast. It'd be an interesting direction to see the story go. (Mind you, not the direction I want to see, just an interesting one.)

That said, the character development I've been seeing is Marten going more outward with his anger, rather than inward. Then again, drinking alone like that...

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #70 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:47 »

Suicide attempt? Bad idea. When men attempt suicide, they are statistically more likely to succeed, mainly because they tend to use methods more likely to be immediately fatal. For example, I don't know how high up from the 1st floor Marten and Faye's apartment is, but even if it's just on the second floor then Marten can self-terminate most efficiently by throwing himself headfirst out the nearest window. Lands on his head, snaps his neck=usually instant death. If he survives, it may be as a quadriplegic. At the very least he'll be in for a long hospital stay. Not At All Funny.

As for exploding in a "simmering mass of anger and hatred" and telling everyone some "home truths", well, he might as well be stinkin' drunk for that, at least that could be used as an excuse. If he goes off on everyone while sober, the result would be REALLY ugly. No one would speak to him again (or at least not for a good long while), he could lose his job (if he pisses Tai off enough, she WILL find some excuse), etc. Marten could end up completely isolated socially, and possibly financially.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #71 on: 28 Dec 2010, 06:07 »

Et tu, Hanners?
She is trying so, SO hard not to laugh. But she's more or less laughing because the other two are ROTFL.

And she looks ADORABLE in that third panel.

EDIT: I'm thinking the proposal by TED is too far out of character for Marten. C'mon, asking Marten to suddenly change and become serious and emo is like asking Weird Al Yankovic to do Shakespeare.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2010, 06:12 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #72 on: 28 Dec 2010, 06:35 »

The subtle changes in expression from frame to frame make this comic hilarious.

Of course, the punchline made me think of this.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #73 on: 28 Dec 2010, 06:36 »

Good lord i could almost felt the laughter in hanners' expresion in second panel....

Also i'm still hoping that Marteen can grow a little out of this... I wonder how is Dora doing all by herself in CoC

EDIT: I'm thinking the proposal by TED is too far out of character for Marten. C'mon, asking Marten to suddenly change and become serious and emo is like asking Weird Al Yankovic to do Shakespeare.
He doesn't do Shakespeare, but Weird Al's music is kindda poetic, isn't it?  :psyduck:
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #74 on: 28 Dec 2010, 06:37 »

Et tu, Hanners?
She is trying so, SO hard not to laugh. But she's more or less laughing because the other two are ROTFL.

And she looks ADORABLE in that third panel.

With you on that jwhouk; third panel Hannelore is the most adorable Hanners.
Ever.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

TheEvilDog

« Reply #75 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:01 »

I'm thinking the proposal by TED is too far out of character for Marten. C'mon, asking Marten to suddenly change and become serious and emo is like asking Weird Al Yankovic to do Shakespeare.

I dunno, after the day his mother has just put him through, it might just be enough to cause Marten to snap. And that is what Marten does....Snap. He bottles things up, internalises his problems and his feelings until he does snap. We've seen it a few times, usually when he feels at his lowest. And right now I think there are some limbo-ists (is that right?) who feel kinda jealous about how low Marten is now.

Rancke

« Reply #76 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:03 »

The appropriate response would be to tell Mom to lock up when she leaves and then walk out on her. Sadly, Marten is probably too nice a guy to do the right thing here. His mom really needs a sharp lesson. Such blatant disregard for her son's feelings is egregious.

What was the reason she visited, again? That's right, I remember. To make Marten feel better. Way to go, Mom!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #77 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:39 »

It looks just like a Telefunken U47.

With leather. 

[Ahem]

As for Marten snapping over something like this, it's not likely.  This is something that's clearly happened before (or he wouldn't know which pic right off the top of his head after a nap).  And we're talking about his mother, who's probably one of the sources of a lot of his repression.  He learned to hold things back through her, not telling people what she really did for a living, dealing with the weird emotions of growing up in that kind of environment (in addition to not having a father figure through puberty), and though a transgression, this is really a pretty minor one! 

I think we've seen the sum total of his response to this - "Goddammit, mom!"
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #78 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:56 »

I think we've seen the sum total of his response to this - "Goddammit, mom!"

I think so too...

I'm worried she's the only one who can withstand the rage beam that's charging, but Marten's angry that she's trying to draw out a reaction, so he's specifically NOT reacting...and it's just going to backfire later.

*sets broom down*

:psyduck:

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #79 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:21 »

I kind of disagree with his depression being a 'whoo, big deal' kind of thing.  When you're in a long-term relationship and it just...ends like that, particularly the way that it did, it can feel like someone died.  Hell, after my last break-up I cried for weeks and still had moments as far as six months out after where I'd find myself driving into work and some U2 song or something would come on the radio and the next thing I knew, tears were streaming down my face.  He really loved Dora, and now she's gone.

That being said, I agree that his mom's totally doing the right thing in trying to pull him out of it,

When I had a break-up vaguely similar to Marten's, I even tried telling myself "it's just a break-up, what's the big deal?" Didn't prevent several months of on-and-off depression.

I still don't see why "humiliating him, repeatedly, in front of his boss (and other friends)" is thought to be a good idea.

I didn't mean to belittle feelings, it's just that the cause is for these feelings and actions is a little weak, in my opinion. (I mean, Marten got blackout-drunk. Doesn't-know-what-he's-saying-drunk. THIS drunk.)
Of course break-ups are depressing, and I, too, did fall in a big hole of depression and swinging moods and a whole lot of other stuff after my previous relationship failed. But my friends and family didn't put up with it. Of course they were sympathetic and tried to help me as much as they could, but they called me on my moods. Which (I think) was a good thing, because it made me see that while I'm allowed to have feelings and to express them, they have them, too. And sometimes they need me, because they have problems, too, and sometimes, these problems are much worse than mine.
It took me a while, though.

Besides that, I don't think they would have let me get drunk alone, if they knew what was going on.

To the topic of Veronica treating Marten that way: I'd be angry, if my mother did this to me. After a few "Mom, could you please stop that", I'd maybe do this passive-aggressive bullshit and would just walk away or something. It's not the best way of dealing with it, but at least she tries.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #80 on: 28 Dec 2010, 10:01 »

There are only two things a mother (or a father, for that matter) can do for someone who's been through an emotional upheaval;

1)  Be there for him.  Veronica offered murder, tongue-in-cheek (I presume), and hasn't had much of a chance beyond that, what with lunch, meeting Tai, and nap time.  These were (relatively) public places, not  a place where he can open up and she can provide comfort.  I expect that shortly, when the lady's league breaks up and exits, she'll have some alone time with him, and he'll have a chance to open up.  Whether we see that or not, I think it's the main reason she's come to see him. 

2)  Remind him of who he is, where he's come from, and how far he's come.  Remind him that, after other emotionally scarring events, he went on.  He doesn't want to hear it yet, but the phrase "this too shall pass" needs to be said so that he'll understand it later. 

That's probably why she brought the album along in the first place. 

That, and some comic relief. 

After all, dildo's are  the comic relief of the sex industry! 

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #81 on: 28 Dec 2010, 10:14 »

Jeph got Veronica's "smile lines" absolutely SPOT ON today. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was odd about this one, and finally realized that he's faded them so it doesn't look like she has a Zorro mustache anymore. Very very nice.

Also, poor Marten. He's had a rough week. But at least he has a house full of cute girls giggling at him. Speaking of which, I can't remember the last time we saw Faye belly-laugh like she is in panel 4. Nice to see her loosening up!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #83 on: 28 Dec 2010, 10:54 »

After all, dildo's are  the comic relief of the sex industry! 

Any industry, really.  There's just something about the penis...

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #84 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:06 »

I really don't think this comic was supposed to be anything more than a light hearted poke at the fact that Marten's "embarrassing baby pictures" are substantially worse than the average person's due to what his mom does for a living. That's all.

We're enjoying some light hearted Veronica moments before getting back down to the "meat" of the story.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #85 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:09 »

Any industry, really.  There's just something about the penis...
Indeed. Try to doodle a penis, and see if you can hold the laugh..

... BUAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAA, god lord do i ever gonna stop drawing so fan-frigging-tastic!
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities
« Reply #86 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:10 »

Also, Veronica seems pretty split on the issue herself... her facial expression tells me that she did not expect her son up so quickly.
SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #87 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:43 »

ROFL

The looks and the silent communication is just classic.

Ya gotta feel sorry for Marten, I don't think Veronica is deliberately setting out to embarrass him, I'm suspecting that this is just Veronica being Veronica.  It's going to be interesting to see what her confrontation with Dora is going to be like.

Comeon, she's come all this way, she can't leave before she goes and sees her.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #88 on: 28 Dec 2010, 13:31 »

Heh.

Does Marten ever get break from his crappy luck? Although the sheer idea of the babypicture is DAMN HILARIOUS, in my opinion i found it a bit meanspirited. Yea, i don't think the intention was just to embarrass Marten, but to break the downward spiral of gloomy thoughts and moping. But still, some kind of consideration with the choosing of pictures would have been nice. This had a bit too much of "kick him when he's down"-feeling in it.

Also, Veronica seems pretty split on the issue herself... her facial expression tells me that she did not expect her son up so quickly.
Yea, got the same feeling myself and also got the feeling that she knows that she went too far.

As for Marten's reaction, God knows? (ok, probably Jeph too  :-P)   He tried liquid oblivion, and that got him only hung over and bruised (not to mention WHY he got bruised...), so I think going on a bender is kinda out of question (unless there'll be even more embarrassment?), and he ain't that good being a snide lil' bastard (yea, he tried that with Tai, but had the decency to apologize) which is kind of a good thing. Somehow, i hope that this wont be the last straw which breaks him (cue the ting of a cash register and numb stare  :-P).

There are only two things a mother (or a father, for that matter) can do for someone who's been through an emotional upheaval;

1)  Be there for him.  Veronica offered murder, tongue-in-cheek (I presume), and hasn't had much of a chance beyond that, what with lunch, meeting Tai, and nap time.  These were (relatively) public places, not  a place where he can open up and she can provide comfort.  I expect that shortly, when the lady's league breaks up and exits, she'll have some alone time with him, and he'll have a chance to open up.  Whether we see that or not, I think it's the main reason she's come to see him.  
Couldn't have said it better. When all is said and done, the main reason she's in the city is Marten. She's there for him. Admittably, she might embarrass/shock him quite a bit but in the end he knows it too.

On to future predictions: Im quite interested to see the possible confrontation with Dora (really, really hoping to see it). And, shall we see a friendly warning for the ladies ("joking and little teasing never killed anyone, but hurt my boy and there will be consequences"-stylish?)? This just keeps on getting more and more interesting.

EDIT: fixed some awful grammar, sry bout that..
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2010, 13:34 by Mustakyy »
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #89 on: 28 Dec 2010, 14:21 »

Judging by Veronica's expressions, it looks to me like she knows she crossed a line.

Maybe I'm just one of those "disrespectful kids these days" but I would have gone off on my mom by now.  But then, I'm not Marten and I actually speak my mind before I let things build to the breaking point. And I didn't have the healthiest relationship with my parents.

Repression really isn't healthy, Marty.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #90 on: 28 Dec 2010, 15:40 »

I had a similar experience as Marten.

My mom showed me some scrapbooks she'd put together a few years ago, and while looking through them, I find a picture of me in my potty-training phase sitting on one of those little kid chairs, the one with the bowl/bucket underneath to catch the product.  That would have been bad enough on its own, but it gets worse.  Not only was I sitting on my potty-trainer chair, I was butt-naked and wearing a Burger King crown with a stupid smile plastered on my face.  Mom tried defending its placement in the book because it was "a cute picture" (her words, not mine), but I held the book hostage until she took the picture out and promised to never bring it up around anyone again.

Look, I know parents love their children and want to remember every one of their milestones, but there are some milestones that are best left as memories and not as pictures and/or videos.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Boomslang

« Reply #91 on: 28 Dec 2010, 15:49 »

I suppose I'm unusual. I'm on excellent terms with my mom right now, unlike several of my siblings, and I think a huge part of that is that I was willing to argue with her and correct her when I thought she was wrong. My mom places a premium on people being frank and up front about things.

Although I also don't mind her showing pictures/video of me as a little kid. If it's anyone's fault I look silly in them, it's hers.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #92 on: 28 Dec 2010, 17:18 »

WU-hahahaha!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #93 on: 28 Dec 2010, 18:07 »

It's going to be interesting to see what her confrontation with Dora is going to be like.

Come on, she's come all this way, she can't leave before she goes and sees her.

This x 1,000,000. If Jeph doesn't give us that "moment of fear" look from Dora at least once before she leaves, I'll be disappointed.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #94 on: 28 Dec 2010, 18:11 »

various posters:
"she didn't expect him up so early... she knows she crossed a line"

So it's okay to ridicule, infantilize, etc your grown son in his absence, to his peers, when you know he's already having a crappy [time period], so long as (you make sure) he doesn't find out about it?
Good to know.

(Because if he did know, then he'd be embarrassed.  But as long as he's not aware, no harm no foul, right?)

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #95 on: 28 Dec 2010, 18:20 »

The Justin.tv community has indicated his channel may contain objectionable material. It has been flagged for staff review.
Click below to confirm you wish to continue to view this content

DILDO

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #96 on: 28 Dec 2010, 19:02 »

Probably those BRB bonercats he puts up. 

I mean, it couldn't possibly  be the chat...

Or  the content.  It's just not really all that Questionable!

...I find a picture of me in my potty-training phase sitting on one of those little kid chairs...
...Not only was I sitting on my potty-trainer chair, I was butt-naked and wearing a Burger King crown with a stupid smile plastered on my face...
...I held the book hostage until she took the picture out and promised to never bring it up around anyone again.

Look, I know parents love their children and want to remember every one of their milestones, but there are some milestones that are best left as memories and not as pictures and/or videos.

You do  realize that the picture went right back in as soon as you left, right?  I think most of us have such a picture hanging around somewhere.  Be glad it's squirreled away in an album, and not in a place of prominence in the house! 

(yes, a friend of mine has potty pictures of all three of her kids hanging in her guest bathroom)

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #97 on: 28 Dec 2010, 19:24 »

What about cute pictures of little boys using floating Cheerios for aiming practice?

DJRubberducky

• Plantmonster
  • The Flash liked me better when I made poopy noises
« Reply #98 on: 28 Dec 2010, 19:30 »

Sweet-Tits is reading Ass Magazine.

that's Ass Aficionado Magazine, thank you very much.

Or that one in the Sir Mix-A-Lot video: Callipygian!

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #99 on: 28 Dec 2010, 20:29 »

If I might ask an odd question, if Martens mother was ANGRY at him what would she be doing? I recognize that some of this might be a bit of 'it's my job to embarass you, I'm your mom" when he's at a low point is a REALLY bad time to do it. If she's trying to spark him to anger, to energy, something to help him power through the depression that might work, except she seems to just be pouring on the humiliation. Part of what bothers me on this is that she is ostensibly there to HELP him, remember when she stopped by on a visit and he was doing ok? She didn't feel a need to humiliate him that way then. The other thing that bothers me, and this is maybe a moreso thing, no one called her out on it, with Marten it might just be that he's frankly past the point of being able to resist, IE he's so emotionally worn out over this that he doesn't want to get into another fight but NONE of his friends call her on it. Tai maybe because their relationship is more snark bait than close friend but Faye and Hannelore...I dunno it seriously feels like Marten has been chosen to be fates chamber pot.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up