THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music  (Read 211234 times)

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
Re: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music
« Reply #300 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:28 »

If you were being sarcastic about the attitude, I fully understand it. I really should be better at keeping up, but our singer is a perpetual whirlwind basically.
He is without a doubt the most furiously ambitious and single-minded person I have ever met. He doesn't really have a life like normal people. He lives at home (he's 23), is single and he works for his dad's company so he can take time off any time he wants. He has never really understood how things work for people with real jobs, and actual commitments like rent, bills, relationships, making sure the cat at home is watered and fed, all that stuff.

But regardless, he gets shit moving. We're really going places with this, considering how niche the music is.

And thanks for the kind words!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #301 on: 22 Dec 2011, 06:15 »

Well that is often what it takes. I'm trying to extract myself from the "American Dream" to have a life of some fulfillment. At my age I am going to have to do some desperate stuff. Sometimes life requires it. You stop believing that you need to be part of the "society" that isn't helping you and doesn't care if you live, die, or do anything of merit. Or something.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #302 on: 30 Dec 2011, 23:36 »

check it out i made generic ambient music
Code: [Select]
http://www.med!afire.com/download.php?3qcgq3naqv9lm1x
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #303 on: 09 Jan 2012, 05:31 »

My band's cd is officially available for hardcopy and digital download!  There are song samples -

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/theriveras

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #304 on: 09 Jan 2012, 13:07 »

Holy shit this guy is up in arms about our EP. Hot damn..

http://www.cvltnation.com/ix-hexis-review/

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #305 on: 09 Jan 2012, 14:14 »

Working on concepts for our album art. Looks like our producer is on board to shoot Maria as Icarus on the NYC public library steps. Downside: It will be cold as f*ck in February. Kind of the concept:

Only gender reversed. :)
Wheedled the tracks down to 12, so I'm already 3 songs into writing the third record before starting the 2nd.
whoop whoop.
"Feathers and Wax," look for it in crackhouses and charity shops around 6/15.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #306 on: 09 Jan 2012, 21:14 »

Holy shit this guy is up in arms about our EP. Hot damn..

http://www.cvltnation.com/ix-hexis-review/

Congrats!  I really dig the album.  I think the reviewer's attempt to classify you as "blackened hardcore" is pretty apt.  No frills, no pretension, just good grinding rock with a lot of soul.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #307 on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:04 »

Playing two cd release shows this weekend for my band's new disc.  I don't think there are a lot of Arizonans up in this mug, but if you are in Phoenix we're doing a 21+ at the Yucca Tap Room on Friday and an all ages at the Nile Underground on Saturday.  So excited!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #308 on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:52 »

My friend Jo has a band called Sticklips. I posted some of her stuff here before. Here are two new, full band tracks she recorded in studio. It's strange hearing her like this since 99% of the time that she performs, it's just her and an acoustic guitar. Somehow - maybe because I'm more used to it - I like those stripped down versions more. But she's a really talented songwriter and lyricist and singer so these are well worth a listen: http://sticklips.bandcamp.com/
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

iglidante

• Plantmonster
  • Only common sense, I know, but I don't understand.
    • Flying Man and Friends
« Reply #309 on: 20 Feb 2012, 05:26 »

I've posted some of my stuff here before. Basically, what I'm doing musically has morphed over the last four years from industrial-sorta rock to something like New Wave and 80s rock/pop. Maybe some alternative rock thrown in. I'm not really sure.

I've been on Bandcamp for a while now, and although I like their setup, people continually complain to me about the lack of a volume control. I decided to just give all my music away, if that means getting more people to listen to it. So, if you're into that sort of thing, you can download every single track I've ever released at www.ianmarquismusic.com by clicking "Buy Now on an album page and entering 0 for the cost. The newest album is the best, to my ears, but some people liked the first two as well.
Gimme some time - I'm gonna make you sing.

Theyis

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #310 on: 20 Feb 2012, 06:08 »

I'm in two bands at the moment (with some overlap in members).

The main focus is on The Lazarus Sign. A 3 man doom/sludge metal band, but we don't have anything on record yet as we are still working on material and trying to really get a grasp on playing in the genre. First few songs are practically ready though, so we're going to practise a lot to get them up to stage performance level.

The second is No Articles, a fun cover band of punk and rock bands like Greenday, Rancid, Foo Fighters, etc.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #311 on: 20 Feb 2012, 12:54 »

I'll be uploading more music here eventually (I have a bunch of other songs). The melody in this song is one that I play all the time on different instruments and I hope someday I'll be remembered by it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/469568
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #312 on: 21 Feb 2012, 13:26 »

So we're going to the studio Saturday. Got 12 songs to record and three days to track and mix. That's all the $ we had time for. Recording Guitar/bass/drum machine/sequences and vocals all live. This is the part where I get nervous. Been totally cranked up with work to do at my day job. We've normally practiced many times a week and there has been so much going on that there's not been time to. Do. Or. Die.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #313 on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:54 »

So I did this:
http://soundcloud.com/steven-broka/an-endless-itch-work-in

Not sure how far I'm gonna take but I sort of like it.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #314 on: 27 Feb 2012, 23:48 »

So, I got kicked out of Hexis, more or less. Bummer.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #315 on: 27 Feb 2012, 23:49 »

Should I be mad at Hexis now?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #316 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:33 »

Well, that's a major strike against them, for sure. What gives, they say what was up with that?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #317 on: 01 Mar 2012, 10:21 »

Jeez Lummer.
Also our do-or-die effort to record a CD was somewhat thwarted because my ace bass player was injured in an auto accident just as I arrived in the City. We just heard she'll need surgery on her right wrist. At least 2 months time off. I tracked my part of 12 songs but my heart/head was not all there.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #318 on: 01 Mar 2012, 10:27 »

Crap, guys.  Bad news left and right. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #319 on: 02 Mar 2012, 03:35 »

Well, hell, Lummer, as long as you have a way to record, keep making music. Heavy stuff isn't even my bag, but you rocked it with the last thing I saw of yours. You've got a fan here for sure.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #320 on: 02 Mar 2012, 05:52 »

Thanks for the kind words Patrick :)

Just gonna copypaste what I said on the Bareknuckle Pickups forum, where I summed it up pretty much:

I got asked to leave, because I didn't value the touring aspect enough, so it was done politely enough, but the end result is still the same :p

I was going on about how we should really put writing new material as a priority, instead of doing more and more tours on the old material from the EP. Going an entire year plus a few months with only one new song ready seems a bit silly to me. They have a Russia tour lined up in April, and a MONTH AND ONE WEEK LONG TOUR WITH NO DAYS OFF AT ALL in the summer, plus a whole bucketload of weekenders in between. Plus probably some other stuff in between. All that will be on the back of the same 5-6 songs we've had for almost a year now. But apparently that's just how it's supposed to be, and now they've booted the main songwriter (riffs, that is... I take no responsibilty for the lyrics) so yeah, good luck with that.

Of course, there was the fact that I've hated the singer's guts from day one, and that in turn made me unnecessarily grumpy and cantankerous while out on tour. Of course, it's not fair that the others, who are great guys, and people at the venues have to put up with the "mr. Hyde" version of me just because one guy gets on my nerves.

________

It did come very much out of the blue for me, seeing as I'm conceited enough to think I was indispensable. I mean, I wrote all the riffs! A large part of the reason we were so well received, and the reviews were so good, was because of what I contributed via writing the music. It sounds egomaniacal (because, well, it is) but that's how I felt. But in the end everyone's replaceable once the songs are written.

________

(On being asked "What now!?"

Yeah, I'm gonna start a new band ASAP, since I love playing in a band. However, this one will be a bit more on my terms. I am tinkering with the idea of starting from scratch, assuming the role of "Band Captain" and pushing it forward from there. However, I'll do it without the callousness of my old vocalist and his relentless ambition.
Each two bands I've been in recently have taught me lessons:

Hexis has taught me, that if you run your band like your own little kingdom, and basically just disregard the sentiments of the band members, you will run the thing into the ground. I am 110% sure that Hexis will fall apart pretty soon, simply because I don't think anyone keep up with the pace set by the vocalist forever.

The death metal band me and Madsakre had, had a lot of potential and some truly great material, but we were just too fucking lazy and unfocused, so it just fizzled out and never got anywhere. At all. So the lesson learned there, was that you've got to work at it or else it just falls apart.
Also, me and Mads didn't really agree on which direction to take, since I wanted to do all this experimental, arty-farty bullshit and he just wanted to do some rockin', straight up swe-death with a healthy dash of D-beat. 
However, seeing as I've had more than my fair share of being pretentious and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird, and I've gotten so much more into oldschool death metal, crust punk and that sort of thing, I'm sure we'll see a lot more eye-to-eye if we bring that thing back from the tombs. So that's one option to go for, which I'd be very happy with.

Another idea I'm toying with, is something I've wanted for a while: A bass-less, one-guitar Grindcore/Powerviolence/Thrashcore  sort of thing. Kind of like Pig Destroyer trying to play Nasum and Discordance Axis type stuff but still throwing in the odd Nuclear Assault riff. This has the distinct advantage of only having to find a good drummer who can hammer out a mean blastbeat, and some solid, caveman d-beat. Vocals I can do myself, or maybe find a good vocalist.

In both instances, the tired old cliche of "Back to the roots" screams out. That said, I can't run from the fact that it's probably best to just play what comes naturally to me. In Hexis' little universe, I was always a bit of a stranger because I knew fuck all about that scene. I think I did a decent job, and I'm proud of the songs I wrote, but it still never really was really "me". It was more "me trying to do something that'll finally satisfy that control-freak of a vocalist with an unhealthy Celeste obsession".

Said straight off: Now I just wanna fuckin' tear shit up and stick to what works. I'll never be the guy who's gonna re-invent the wheel, so it will be refreshing to not have to try now.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #321 on: 06 Mar 2012, 21:34 »

My band's second video, animated by our singer-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5MkhqqgGgM&feature=youtu.be

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #322 on: 13 Mar 2012, 19:18 »

My new band Troubador! has released our first single, go to troubador.bandcamp.com to check it out! Album coming soon. We've been described as "what would happen if the Violent Femmes angrily confronted the Beatles in a dark alley."

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #323 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:06 »

Small update:

Me and my best friend Mads are forging ahead, and forming a grind trio. Stoked. We have a drummer so we're good to go.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #324 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:44 »

We have a drummer

Hella jealous, ours isn't flaky on gigs he says he'll play at but he can't play at a lot. Super fucking glad you are getting something going again though, and especially so soon. Back in the saddle like it weren't no shit.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #325 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:26 »

We were actually pretty spoiled for choice on this, believe it or not.

About a week after I got the boot, we had a first trying-shit-out jam session, where we actually got a full* song written. That was with a really, really good drummer who had to bow out in time for the next rehearsal, due to having two other bands to juggle, so that was of course fair enough :)
He had a really unique style which would have made for something very interesting. He was/is immensely technically gifted, and could just as easily pull off complicated Jazz fills as he could do gravity blasts and other shenanigans. He is a bit out of practice currently, due to a long period of not drumming so much, so he didn't hit as hard as he once did. But hey, that stuff returns quickly for a dude as absurdly talented as him. He will be touring Europe with a band called Shaped Like Swans this summer, and his other grind band Piss Vortex (best name ever!) are going well ahead too. So yeah, no hard feelings for him backing out :) I'm just glad that he's busy playing again, since it would be a crying shame for someone so talented to not use it.

Now, the other guy I haven't heard play yet, but he has a pretty good pedigree. He's a longtime friend of the vocalist and I've met him a few times in the last few weeks. I like the guy! Solid, down-to-earth dude, and he's DEFINITELY into it  :-D
He's practically been begging to get to play some grind for quite a while now, since his current bands are standard-issue death metal. He's played with Konkhra and Panzerchrist, two well-recognised death metal bands in the scandinavian scene, as well as some others. The fact that he's played with Panzerchrist does show that he can play absurdly fast in any case, and that's good.
From what I know, he's not a very flashy drummer, at all, but that's pretty much what I've wanted. I want to do this thing as a seriously fast, pissed-off, stripped-down grind/powerviolence kind of thing with a solid dose of Death Metal in it too, so I think this guy will actually be better for that style.

*DISCLAIMER: "Full song" is in a Grindcore context here, so we're only talking 1 minute and 30 seconds, with 3 riffs. Not rocket science, though one of the riffs was pretty tech, and based on a fucked-up, odd-timed drumbeat the drummer came up with.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #326 on: 15 Mar 2012, 23:47 »

I did something with a Noise/Drone/Pysch duo over the last weekend (I supplied bass and fuzz factory oscillations). We ended up recording about an hour of it. I'm gonna bug them about putting it online soon.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #327 on: 16 Mar 2012, 02:19 »

I was in a noise band in high school (Wolf Eyes meets Melt Banana meets Sunn) and I loved it, but as an adult it's hard to find people into that scene that I'd ever let into my house.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #328 on: 16 Mar 2012, 15:18 »

GUYS GUYS GUYS my band Troubador has released our single + b-side and now it is available for FREE DOWNLOAD! Get it before it is too late, and tell me what you think!

http://troubador.bandcamp.com/album/beat-les-troubador-single-b-side

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #329 on: 23 Mar 2012, 07:27 »

Here's a super kind review of my band's cd, with an interview- http://thespecblog.com/riveras/

For the record, my bandmates are awesome.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #330 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:09 »

Good reviews are the best thing ever. Congratulations!
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #331 on: 23 Mar 2012, 12:43 »

Thanks, Doombilly!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #332 on: 23 Mar 2012, 16:20 »

What would it be like if you listened to a stream of music from QC'ers?
http://8tracks.com/doombilly/unquestionable-content
Kind of like that -but I probably did a pretty bad job of it. In any event I apologize for omissions, or incorrectly labelled stuffs. Feel free to correct or send me additions/cease and desist demands.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #333 on: 23 Mar 2012, 18:09 »

All the stuff of Troubador!'s that is up is available for free anyway, and I wholeheartedly approve of the fact that we are first in line. :D

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #334 on: 24 Mar 2012, 04:49 »

yeah, I tried to just post stuff that was "Priced to Move" (Free). :P
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

iglidante

• Plantmonster
  • Only common sense, I know, but I don't understand.
    • Flying Man and Friends
« Reply #335 on: 30 Apr 2012, 17:16 »

I wrote and recorded this new song, "Help Me Make It Through The Night", on Saturday. I tweaked it on Sunday, and a bit more today (Monday). Now, I think I'm ready to get some outside feedback.

The style is 80s/New Wave, if you're curious. Everything you hear is by me.
Gimme some time - I'm gonna make you sing.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #336 on: 01 May 2012, 01:21 »

So, my new Grindcore band is forging ahead full speed (pun intended), but we're kind of torn between names. What do you guys think is best?

- Gestapolis
or
- Samaritan

Now, Gestapolis is the more overtly political "FUCK OPPRESSION ANCARHY 4 LIEF" one, but I'm not sure that will fit with the lyrical content all that well. Sure, we have some political stuff, but it's more satirical and sarcastic than sloganeering. We for instance have a deeply sarcastic song about how some people support charity only for the self-promotion (ie. most famous people, Bob Geldof, Live 8) and another that lambasts "Facebook Activism" like KONY2012, but we also have songs about other topics. We even have a "goregrind" song, albeit one that is a bit more realistic (short summary: "Dead people are pretty gross. Yuck. Ew.") and a song about being a real huge dick when you're drunk, so it's a far cry from what this sort of stuff normally is. That said, it's still a badass name, so it'll work.

Samaritan appeals to me, because the vocalist and I came up with it first, due to us thinking it would be cool to make a band that was more or less "posi-grind" with songs about self-improvement and being a good person and all that. Also, the name is atypical for a grind band.

So yeah... Wat do!?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #337 on: 08 May 2012, 02:15 »

I wrote a song a little while ago, and today I recorded two demos. This is the one I like better.

Only the second song I've ever written, so be gentle :3

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #338 on: 08 May 2012, 06:50 »

Pat this sounds really great. It is hard to believe you've only written 2 songs. I wrote something this weekend that made me so sad I cried a lot and started drinking shots of really cheap vodka at 4 in the afternoon. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. It is a double-edged sword/slippery slope writing about your own life.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #339 on: 08 May 2012, 07:37 »

Thanks man. If you get the chance you should post a draft recording of it. If it can make you cry, god knows it must resonate with others too.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #340 on: 08 May 2012, 08:35 »

The funny thing, as much as I hate Matt's voice, Patrick, I can kinda hear him singing this in my head and it works well.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #341 on: 08 May 2012, 11:59 »

Man, thanks you guys. That's super encouraging :D I guess maybe I can do this, heh.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #342 on: 09 May 2012, 07:56 »

Thanks man. If you get the chance you should post a draft recording of it. If it can make you cry, god knows it must resonate with others too.
Well it is hell of bad recording. Wife records the bass+drum machine on her $20 mp3 player. She emails that to me and I play it back over the pc while singing over it on my phone. All this digital tech and I think a pair of tascam portastudios would sound better. :D But you cannot beat the immediacy of working over 500 miles apart like that. Anyway, not ready for prime time. 3rd album stuff. Not even in the demo stages. Isn't that what you hope, that something you are saying is universal enough to touch other people? Or maybe I'm just a big baby?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #343 on: 10 May 2012, 13:18 »

That's definitely the ideal. Who writes songs hoping that nobody identifies with em, you know? :D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #344 on: 10 May 2012, 14:45 »

People who write songs as catharsis for their own pain.  Mahler's Kindertotenlieder, for instance, about the death of his own child; he's not trying to share the pain, just to get it out of himself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #345 on: 10 May 2012, 16:29 »

Yeah, it just happens with me. If it is something that someone else groks then I feel that is a real bonus. But I don't try to plan it that way, beyond being listenable. And well that IS a challenge.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Zingoleb

« Reply #346 on: 10 May 2012, 23:05 »

damn Pat, dude, how have you only written two songs? I assume you'd have dozens written by now (this sounds really good, by the way)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #347 on: 11 May 2012, 02:16 »

Thanks! I've certainly got a backlog of things that never made the cut, I just have never been satisfied with anything until recently. I definitely know what kind of sounds I like, I just don't know how to make them up as well as I'd like to.

But I don't try to plan it that way, beyond being listenable. And well that IS a challenge.

That's the part I have the most trouble with, guaranteed.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #348 on: 12 May 2012, 17:51 »

Well sometimes it is just 1 other person. O just finished read Le Freak, Nile Rodgers biog. While being almost completely raised by junkies, he grew up in an environment where he learned to be extremely technical as a musician. But he would over write parts. His long time partner (bassist) Bernard Edwards would listen and then promptly chop most of it out, making into something very palatable. I was recently talking to a guy I worked with in my first two bands. I guess you could say we were the two principal writers. But invariably we'd have something worked out to the nth degree, take it into my smokey basement and something very different came out of it. I work with only one person now. And frankly I get my nards handed to me on a regular basis. But now I'm tougher on myself than I ever would have been. In my personal first example, I didn't have to work with someone "better" than me. Just someone who wasn't me. :D In my latter example; well that's evolution.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #349 on: 12 May 2012, 19:37 »

I just noticed that the title of this thread is messed up. I had always read it in my head as "...where we share and..."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up