THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 01:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music  (Read 215744 times)

IDMG

• Curry sauce
Re: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music
« Reply #350 on: 12 May 2012, 20:01 »

http://soundcloud.com/steven-broka/an-unpleasant-shade

Only song I've finished in years was this noise track from a few months ago.

Zingoleb

« Reply #351 on: 13 May 2012, 16:48 »

I just noticed that the title of this thread is messed up. I had always read it in my head as "...where we share and..."

Also 'thead'.

I tend to write super complicated pieces which are then scrapped in favour of like, I-IV-V-ish pieces that almost always sound 10x better (and also more fun to play, really - it's easier to get into the swing of enjoying music when you're not trying to be a wanker about it).

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #352 on: 13 May 2012, 19:05 »

What I've found out about chord progressions...is don't write from them. If you want to force some math, do it melodically and forget about what chords are going on. The reason I, IV, and V are so "fun" to play has a lot more to do with our biology. Don't fight it. Don't feel like you have to suck it's #$%^ either. You can always figure out what chord/key changes are going on in the aftermath. I think it is a lot like getting good at odd meters (not that I am). If you can make ii-vii°-iii-V sound not out of place you are doing it right. Same goes for 12/8 or any odd meter.
My point is making an odd piece of music sound odd is really only for your own self enjoyment. Making an odd piece of music sound normal is bad-ass (IMHO).
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #353 on: 13 May 2012, 19:34 »

On the subject, for somebody like me who plays music and writes it without an understanding of music theory (I play with notes until I find something that sounds nice and go from there), where should I start studying music theory?
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #354 on: 14 May 2012, 03:38 »

This is the only resource you'll likely ever need: http://www.musictheory.net/

GUYS as of today my band Troubador has finished tracking instrument parts for our debut album, 'Beat Les Troubador'! We're well on our way to releasing on time (July 1) and I don't think I've ever been more excited for anything in my whole life.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #355 on: 14 May 2012, 04:56 »

Thanks, Patrick.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #356 on: 14 May 2012, 09:36 »

This is the only resource you'll likely ever need: http://www.musictheory.net/

GUYS as of today my band Troubador has finished tracking instrument parts for our debut album, 'Beat Les Troubador'! We're well on our way to releasing on time (July 1) and I don't think I've ever been more excited for anything in my whole life.
Good on ya Patrick. I think we'll be right behind you, planning on getting everything duped and ready for our CD release mid July, now.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #357 on: 14 May 2012, 10:22 »

Hell yea, dude, you gonna post dat online? We decided early on that we're gonna put everything up for free (read: pick your price, min. of 0) online, since if it doesn't cost us to put it up, it shouldn't cost you anything either. But physical copies would require dolladollabillz.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #358 on: 14 May 2012, 14:30 »

Kickstarter FUCKING NOW Patrick, I want yr shit on vinyl.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #359 on: 14 May 2012, 16:06 »

Hell yea, dude, you gonna post dat online? We decided early on that we're gonna put everything up for free (read: pick your price, min. of 0) online, since if it doesn't cost us to put it up, it shouldn't cost you anything either. But physical copies would require dolladollabillz.
Yeah, truth be told I doubt we'll make much selling music. Seems a hard life. But we've spend a LOT of money, not including medical bills to get this far. We recorded the 1st one ourselves but went to a pro for this one. I don't know. Everything else in my life has been a complete fuck up. This should follow the trend. :P Honestly I just want to sell some songs to asshole pop stars with money. Or smart film makers. Either/both. At 46 I think that's the best I can hope for. *(To date I've given away a lot of music, either d/loads or CDs, it is really about touching someone with what you try to do.)
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #360 on: 15 May 2012, 01:26 »

Kickstarter FUCKING NOW Patrick, I want yr shit on vinyl.

Lemme get the ball rolling with Matt on the Kickstarter thing. Although we did talk about it on Saturday before the show, and he made a very good point by saying that it'd be a smarter business move to do strictly CD release first, then vinyl later. We're trying to have the Kickstarter cover mass-production and tour startup expenses, and given the overhead for vinyl, that just wouldn't be practical yet. We WILL press it to vinyl eventually though, assuming we're successful enough to make it happen, and I promise I will get you a copy.

Everything else in my life has been a complete fuck up. This should follow the trend.

Frankly I think you're being too hard on yourself, and unless you're an indiefolk musician, that ain't gonna sell records. :P

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #361 on: 15 May 2012, 08:45 »

Which is the indie genres that is most equated with homelessness and dumpster diving? It is good to have goals you see. :D I'm thinking 'Indie hobos' aren't that self-deprecating, it interferes with the delusions of cleanliness and omnipotence.

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #362 on: 15 May 2012, 10:06 »

Pat, I keep forgetting to tell you how much I like Troubador!. Well done sir.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #363 on: 15 May 2012, 12:27 »

Thanks you guys! That's kinda the plan. You can help by spamming our Facebook page anywhere you think it might get love. I am definitely trying to make this an excuse to see the world.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #364 on: 16 May 2012, 02:11 »

So, referring to my previous post about band names, my little powerviolence powertrio seems to have settled on "Gestapolis".

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #365 on: 16 May 2012, 09:14 »

Because the NF are fans/people too. But in all fairness, after someone grabbed the name ANAL CUNTS there are many good choices left.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #366 on: 18 May 2012, 02:15 »

I'm loving that solo track Patrick!  Record some more man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFy1RFamjJo

^ This is a really rough recording of a song I've sort of half-finished writing.  A combination of dead strings that need replacing, lack of a decent tuner, and my cack-handed inability to fret full barre-chords means the guitar sounds shite, but this would be intended as a full-band song anyway (and I'm just the bassist haha!).  A little bit more laid back than the stuff I usually write, but I think it turned out kind of okay.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #367 on: 18 May 2012, 05:27 »

spoon_of, the beginning reminds me of Stiff Little Fingers. (I mean that in a good way).
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #368 on: 18 May 2012, 13:46 »

I'm digging the new tune, man. I'm especially keen on the lyrics themselves. And thanks for yr kind words! I'm working on writing more, but it's slow going. Took me 9 years to get two songs out, hah.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #369 on: 28 May 2012, 13:48 »

oh man. Wife is picking up our mastered disk in Manhattan tonight. Guy wants mo money for pics he took/processed. Based on the cool shot he did for the cover, I bet they are great. But we are pretty busted right now. This sucks. Also waiting for a CD to be mailed to me blows. This is still 2012, right?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #370 on: 30 May 2012, 00:27 »

Because the NF are fans/people too. But in all fairness, after someone grabbed the name ANAL CUNTS there are many good choices left.

That would not be our fanbase in any way at all, or us for that matter. I am assuming NF is short for National Front here, btw.

The name is first of all because it's got a ring to it, and second because it's an old Noisear song title. That way the crusties can tell from the get-go we're their kind of thing :P

Also, we're going to be provoking the fanatics on the left just as much as we're going to be talkin' dat smack about Fascism. We're all very left-leaning, but we're very much against fanaticism, which seems to run rampant in our scene.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #371 on: 30 May 2012, 07:49 »

Right Lumz. I assumed all of that, except the bit about being a song title because I obviously don't know much about this genre etc... It is always a fine line and one worthy of treading on to take something that can really set people off whether it be a symbol, or a phrase. I was once in a performance art troupe that used Thomas Pynchon's phrase from Gravity's Rainbow: The White Visitation, for our act. Our position was not too different from yours. But it sometimes can be hard to explain to the Gospel group going on after you at the Ayden, NC Collard Festival.   :angel:
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #372 on: 31 May 2012, 00:12 »

We'll just name our first 7" "No, we're not Nazis but you're still an Idiot" and then we're golden.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #373 on: 31 May 2012, 07:46 »

Exactly. Or, "I'll Annex Your Mom Like The Sudatenland, But That Doesn't Make Me a Fascist."
/godwin

Guys, I keep coming up with rhythms to play on the guitar that are too odd for me to sing what I write with them. I mean, I want the vocal like I've planned. And the guitar. But I am having problems pulling off both. Short term fix for us, is I can sample the guitar into our Roland MC-808. But anyone have a good practice or drill that is good at getting beyond this?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #374 on: 31 May 2012, 11:58 »

I'm not sure I understand the problem, are you just having issues playing it and singing at the same time? Or are the parts refusing to cooperate with each other?

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #375 on: 31 May 2012, 12:37 »

The parts go together because I can do it multitrack style (record one then the other). I am just having probs getting the two rhythms together in my head when I try to play and sing.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #376 on: 31 May 2012, 15:44 »

...also just got the mastered version of our CD in the mail.
Ironically, the only consumer CD player in the house just got sold on craigslist on my way home.
Don't really trust media monkey and my PC speakers. hmmm. Next up, plug laptop into home stereo, then the PA....wait. Oh yeah I gave my daughter a jam box last yeah. Sweet.
If i put it in the van CD player, I'm gonna end up an hour away from the house. :))

Oversharing but... http://soundcloud.com/illicitizen-1/sets/feathers-and-wax
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2012, 13:34 by doombilly »
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #377 on: 02 Jun 2012, 12:15 »

Only thing you can really do there is keep fucking up until you get it right 3 times in a row.

Digging the new sounds, man. Helicopters has some sweet dissonant riffage toward the end of it. I really wish you guys had a live drummer, though!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #378 on: 03 Jun 2012, 06:52 »

Thanks Patrick. Yeah re: dissonance riffage... hmm probably the diminished chord. Maria likes writing in the locrian mode = me playing diminished chords. That particular one I think allows me to hammer a note to make it pop a bit more I think.  Also as far as a drummer goes, once we can buy one and keep him in the cupboard with a ball gag in... :) also will need a horn/string section. Honestly I think it would be unfair to put someone in the mix w/ us being married and pretty set in our ways. But I would never totally rule it out.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #379 on: 03 Jun 2012, 14:17 »

I don't think it'd necessarily be unfair for a drummer to get into the mix as long as you guys are open with 'em from the start on how set you are in your ways. If they're not okay with it, they won't be in your band. A friend of mine was honest with me about that when I auditioned for his band last year, I thought about it, declined, and he found a great guitarist for the job. And we're still friends, and they are definitely going places!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #380 on: 03 Jun 2012, 15:10 »

tuathal, thanks. Yeah, and that's with a broken wrist and pins holding it together. She wrote that music (both of those) from the bass up. All the other instruments sequenced she did too. I think Mike really got the flatwound/p-bass/finger/ampeg tone down well too.

Patrick, yeah, well the day may  come when we DO work with a drummer again. She's facing a year of physical therapy to get back to nearly the strength she had prior to this. We have a bunch of other things going on too. I'm really just sharing the simplified version of our saga. :))
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #381 on: 04 Jun 2012, 17:28 »

Like!
Thanks for sharing that.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #382 on: 08 Jun 2012, 16:37 »

This isn't MY music, but it is a friend of mine who is REALLY talented. She's one of those artists where I really feel like it's only a matter of time before she gets signed to some indie rock label and quickly makes a name for herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PeD9y39p10w
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #383 on: 12 Jun 2012, 17:24 »

On an unrelated note, I just finished my second noise/drone/whatever album.

Take a gander: http://ibex-band.bandcamp.com/album/war-zone-pirate-radio-transmissions-sent-and-received

Hollow Press (my blog)

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #384 on: 14 Jun 2012, 23:15 »

"Something in Space When My Dad Was A Kid"
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/490153?updated=1

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #385 on: 16 Jun 2012, 21:38 »

Wombat, that album is phenomenal! Did you mean to misspell "Outer" in the opening track? Really cool instrumentation.

I just finished another three songs of ambient/drone/soundscape instrumentals. The compressor I used added a whole lot of chips and clicks, which I thought was cool enough to leave in. Free or whatever. http://drogue.bandcamp.com/album/3-weeks-in-europe
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #386 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:57 »

Thanks! Really appreciate that. I was thinking of making something like 50 CD-rs with handmade packaging/artwork and selling them for $5 or so, but considering how long it took me to get this thing out the door, I'm not sure I'll ever really get around to it.

And no, I didn't mean to misspell "outer," thanks for catching that!
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2012, 18:17 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #387 on: 18 Jun 2012, 03:45 »

http://soundcloud.com/steven-broka/electric-virus-work-in

Couldn't sleep. Decided to load up Amplitube and do that whole "I'm a musician" thing.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #388 on: 20 Jun 2012, 16:07 »

Supposed to be finishing the CD layout. Want to get drunk. And stay there.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

iRipper89

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #389 on: 22 Jun 2012, 09:30 »

Any of you guys in an indie band shoot me an email with your bands information. I run an indie blog and I really want to help some young bands get some coverage. the blog is www.moonroofmusic.net and my email is [email protected] I look forward to hearing your music!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #390 on: 22 Jun 2012, 13:06 »

Done.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #391 on: 22 Jun 2012, 16:35 »

Free promo is an offer that only an idiot would refuse. Email's in your inbox!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #392 on: 22 Jun 2012, 18:08 »

Fucking hate having to put a bar code on my CD back.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

iRipper89

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #393 on: 22 Jun 2012, 21:20 »

So psyched I've gotten so many emails! I can't wait to listen to all your guys music. Check upon the site within the next couple of days to see your write up. Bear with me cause I have a ton of bands to sort though. In the meantime if you guys can spread the word on the site that would rock. The more popular the site gets the more eyes that see your band so its a win win for all of us.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #394 on: 23 Jun 2012, 08:34 »

Cool, I FaceTwitterBooked it. Expect inundation! Because I am all that. Especially on the internet where people can't tell I'm in the witness protection plan.
Oh whoops.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #395 on: 23 Jun 2012, 20:00 »

Does the Reel Echo have a tap tempo? By far the best feature to have when you're putting delay on arpeggios, since you can dial in the perfect tempo for your chords. Actually, one of my favorite features of the TC Electronic Nova Repeater is the fact that you can cut up the tapped-in tempo into half and quarter notes: then all you have to do is key in the base tempo of your riff and then cut it until it syncs with the arpeggio.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #396 on: 24 Jun 2012, 16:42 »

See, I'd actually love to get a simple, 3-knob analog or tape echo, but I don't think I'd ever use it for simple delays. I've just always loved seeing guys tweak the shit out of MXR Carbon Copies to get weird noisy symphonies.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #397 on: 25 Jun 2012, 04:51 »

Dude. That "fuckin around" sounds siiiiick. Moar.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #398 on: 25 Jun 2012, 12:33 »

Candy sampler of our whole 2nd record.
(a 4 1/2 minute romp through a 12 song medley)
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2012, 03:49 by doombilly »
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #399 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:48 »

http://soundcloud.com/steven-broka/fire-in-your-blood-wip

This turned out to be more of a Russian Circles ripoff than I intended. Also it's sloppy cause I did too many takes in one night and my fingers told me to fuck off.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up