THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music  (Read 211269 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music
« Reply #400 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:47 »

A big fat thank you to iRipper89 for reviewing Troubador! on yr blog! I'm impressed you could tell we're influenced by the Stooges. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" is one of the few covers we do at shows.

Actually, come to think of it, the song you posted before ours ("Hey" - The Pixies) is another of the few covers we do at shows. Uncanny, man.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #401 on: 27 Jun 2012, 14:16 »

Not technically my own music, but my friends' band who my band played our last gig with (all the way back in November, man we need to get our shit together!) have just recorded a new song.  They're called Not Penny's Boat, the song's called "Transition Not Tragedy," and I'm personally getting a huge old-Banner Pilot vibe from it, which is pretty awesome, and apparently is what they were aiming for too! 

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #402 on: 27 Jun 2012, 17:45 »

A big fat thank you to iRipper89 for reviewing Troubador! on yr blog! I'm impressed you could tell we're influenced by the Stooges. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" is one of the few covers we do at shows.

Actually, come to think of it, the song you posted before ours ("Hey" - The Pixies) is another of the few covers we do at shows. Uncanny, man.

These two songs rule! You guys have got a really cool sound. I'm getting some 90s Modest Mouse vibes to boot; whether intended or not, that's always a big plus in my book.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

iRipper89

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #403 on: 27 Jun 2012, 23:35 »

No problem man! You guys rock! To anyone else that has sent me music, I'm working on it. Either I haven't listened yet and will be soon or already have written an article but have it post-dated to release (I like to spread my shit out). I have a ton of bands to sift through. For anyone that hasn't sent their music yet please do! moonroofmusic.net is the site and my email is [email protected]

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #404 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:13 »

I really gotta hand it to you (and TFW too), y'all are really good at picking up on what our influences are, for reals. And I gotta say thanks for the comparisons to such amazing music! Flattering, to put it lightly. Shit, I'm over the moon. <3

"Transition Not Tragedy"

This was a solid listen, I enjoyed it! I miss when Livermore's scene had stuff like this, but alas, everybody decided to go post-hardcore and then the scene died after venues got sick of it. Also I reeeeeally have been slacking on getting you that recording I promised. I've been somehow slacking my life away while being insanely busy at the same time, no idea how I manage to do that but there you have it.

IDMG

• Curry sauce

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #406 on: 30 Jun 2012, 22:37 »

I noticed every flaw in that first one, but I liked it anyway.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #407 on: 01 Jul 2012, 04:35 »

http://kiwi6.com/file/csjubdty76

kind of sketchy but soon to be opener

me: vocals/harmonica
rest:
guitar
guitar
bass
drums

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #408 on: 01 Jul 2012, 05:58 »

That's the best way

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #409 on: 01 Jul 2012, 17:28 »

Beat Les Troubador is about 95% finished in the recording stage, we just have two more songs to track vocals for. Next stage: mixing and mastering. Today Matt and I finalized what order the songs are going to be in, and they sound dope. We're only a week or two away, I think. FUCK YESSSSSS

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #410 on: 02 Jul 2012, 13:13 »

Awesome Pat. I just got a box of 50 (all I could afford) CDs. 4 Panel wallet with 6 panel insert and disk. I think this was the most exhausting layout as far as print that I've ever done. Feel like I just gave birth.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #411 on: 02 Jul 2012, 21:29 »

two weeks? more like two years! see your band in 2014.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #412 on: 04 Jul 2012, 02:23 »

Finally wrote some music destined for a song, recorded it quietly on a tiny little guitar at 4AM trying not to wake people up.
So here it is, in all its meager vocal glory http://soundcloud.com/tuathal/gale-wont-you-go-away
Need to find a vocalist or something, because I'm incredibly shy about singing, even when recording stuff with nobody around.

Dude, your vox are great, you just need to enunciate dem words. And preferably put more of them in yr songs. I finally got around to listening today, and I instantly thought of Elliott Smith, who I'm sure everybody's already tired of hearing my praise for. Quit bitching about flaws :D

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #413 on: 04 Jul 2012, 02:25 »

Oh yeah forgive the doublepost but this is the initial reason I came here. See, I covered a Deer Tick song and tl;dr what do you guys think?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #414 on: 04 Jul 2012, 11:35 »

Just don't ever put Elliott on if you are already in a sad mood. You will die.

Thanks, btw, I probably spent an entire day just making sure the levels were all okay. Re: the solo, I really love the original (the smooth growl of that guitar sends delicious shivers down my back every time), but I decided I wasn't going to play it electric because I wanted to make an entire song happen with no electric instruments whatsoever. Glad you liked my replacement!

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #415 on: 06 Jul 2012, 06:43 »

So I woke up, got bored, and this happened.

Fo' shits AND giggles.

VonKleist

« Reply #416 on: 06 Jul 2012, 07:09 »

heh, always reminds me of J.D.´s funeral on that episode of scrubs

maybe you should transpose it down 1-2 semitones to help with the singing :>

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #417 on: 06 Jul 2012, 11:54 »

YESSSSSSSSS SO GOOD

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #418 on: 06 Jul 2012, 15:54 »

Haha Eddie Murphy. Byootiful.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #419 on: 06 Jul 2012, 21:12 »

Jesus christ, YES.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #420 on: 07 Jul 2012, 04:01 »

What was that song he did in the long flowing robe on the cliff? I remember seeing that and thinking, "ok what's the punchline. this isn't funny."
Also in my self-centered world of MEmeME-land I figured out how to get my bandcamp #$%^ working.
http://illicitizen.bandcamp.com/track/needle?permalink
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #421 on: 07 Jul 2012, 08:08 »

maybe you should transpose it down 1-2 semitones to help with the singing :>

haha, YES definitely!  a friend just texted me to let me know he has some new recording gear, he wants me to re-record it with him.  definitely gonna be going down a couple of frets for it.  kinda goes without saying that the version i posted up there was not thought through in the slightest haha!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #422 on: 07 Jul 2012, 10:37 »

Yes but it also made it genuine and wonderful because of the spontaneity.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #423 on: 07 Jul 2012, 12:08 »

Troubador! plays at 924 Gilman tomorrow night at 5:30 (doors at 5) and I am so fucking pumped

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #424 on: 07 Jul 2012, 16:18 »

That is a very sensible hour to play. Sure beats dealing with stairs and ampegs at 4am evening's end. I really want to start a brunch-punk movement. Yes, I'd like a residency somewhere for 10a-2p every sunday. Mimosas, bloody marys and some decent food. Who's with me?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #425 on: 07 Jul 2012, 16:29 »

Brunchpunk! I like it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

VonKleist

« Reply #426 on: 07 Jul 2012, 19:00 »

haha, YES definitely!  a friend just texted me to let me know he has some new recording gear, he wants me to re-record it with him.  definitely gonna be going down a couple of frets for it.  kinda goes without saying that the version i posted up there was not thought through in the slightest haha!

I totally get the morning-spontanious-thing! I hope you can recapture the energy of the first recording.
I think I often play and sing with a different energy and enthusiasm after waking up from a good sleep.. and even a not so good sleep.

My Band just played in a club in town. Sadly not enough people turned up (I guess 30-40) so we have to pay 60€ rent, but what the hell.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #427 on: 07 Jul 2012, 21:52 »

Oh man, I get so mad hearing stories like that. If there's one thing I will never agree to do, it's pay-to-play. It's not my responsibility to be The Reason there's people in your club. If they really knew what they were doing, they'd have regular customers and they'd ask you for a demo.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #428 on: 08 Jul 2012, 05:26 »

Oh man, I get so mad hearing stories like that. If there's one thing I will never agree to do, it's pay-to-play. It's not my responsibility to be The Reason there's people in your club. If they really knew what they were doing, they'd have regular customers and they'd ask you for a demo.
THIS * infinity.
Sadly, there are far too many clubs that have ceded their business responsibilities to a revolving cast of dumbasses that sift through a bunch of emails and call themselves "booking agents." These lame motherfuckers have no skills and have never even met anyone who gets what you are saying Patrick. Sadly I am here to tell you that they are now the rule and not the exception. Whether it is pay-to-play or "What is your draw?" The WIYD crowd will book you at 7pm on a Tuesday, charge $10 and say if you don't bring X amount of people you can't play there again.
The good news is, if you don't like this kind of joint, wait. That buttmunch will go out of business soon. The other big scam is the battle-of-the-bands/showcase crowd. A lot of times they are combined. The only way to win is not to play these things. Typically you see 12 acts, all of whom are very young and could never get into a club (age restrictions) for a normal gig. They prey on them to bring mom, dad, uncle, class-mates. Whoever has the biggest family/circle of friends wins. You could literally go onstage and poop. They don't care. I once was invited to play one of these and accepted because it was a charity event AND I already had all the gear packed up for another show. When I got there and they asked everyone how many tickets I pre-sold I spoke up loudly "None." Dude got so mad at me, claimed it was a "Charity" and somehow I was hurting children that had cancer. I had previously asked if this pre-sell was required to play. Promoted heavily. Told the guy since he could not guarantee a specific time slot- that my people would show when they showed and buy tickets at the door. It turns out your presell decided your time slot. He told the clup owner's goon to kick me out. I let him know that the dude specifically lied to me and is lying to him. That I would under no circumstance ever play/enter his club again (I'd been there in other bands and had seen several real shows there). Big surprise, I met up with a couple guy that were at that event and played/coerced all their fam to come out and support with pre-sold tickets, they even bought a number of them themselves. This guy went all over the country and when it got to the end of the tour (featuring his ugly no-talent kids)- it turned out the charity was bogus. He kept all the $ from ticket sales as "expenses."
This guy sold this bullshit to the club owners. But I blame them for being scammed. If the budweiser truck pulled up and the driver handed them an envelop that said magic beer powder, just add beer- it is their own fault for falling for it.
Sorry for the tl;dr post.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

VonKleist

« Reply #429 on: 08 Jul 2012, 05:51 »

Whoa. Okay that IS pretty shitty, I guess :-(

I gues it´s not that the owners don't care about promoting their club or the draw of a band. As Doombilly pointed out there are hundreds of bands who would kill to play there, so the club owners get theirs anyway so they don't have to do jack.
We haven't pushed far beyond the circle of friends etc. in so far as audience, also the weather was nice and this weekend is CSD so there was a lot of other stuff going on, so I wasn't really surprised.
Playing was a lot of fun anyway, though I couldn't hear shit on the monitor.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #430 on: 08 Jul 2012, 15:36 »

Pretty good read.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #431 on: 09 Jul 2012, 01:37 »

Pay-to-play and Emergenza-style (Euros know what this bullshit is) battle-of-the-bands "contests" enrage me to no end.

Although, one day it'd be fun to play a Battle Of The Bands just to troll the shit out of people and leave the place in ruins.

VonKleist

« Reply #432 on: 09 Jul 2012, 05:12 »

On a completely unrelated note:

I like folk music so here is my shot at "Black Jack Davy"

http://kiwi6.com/file/cz9c684qb3

« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 08:36 by VonKleist »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #433 on: 09 Jul 2012, 08:27 »

As an old folkie, I totally approve of your version of "Black Jack Davey"!!

{edit}  I also liked "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue", and I am listening to the other songs.

Good show!!
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 08:39 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #434 on: 09 Jul 2012, 13:45 »

(I Hate The Man Who Runs This Bar)

I have definitely said that aloud many a time.

Dude. Guys. Play the fucking Gilman. It is such a good time! For seriously.

I got propositioned by an underage Gilman groupie and I was like "Oh you're 18 in a week? How cute, here's a sticker" and walked off :D

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #435 on: 09 Jul 2012, 17:55 »

You clearly have a lot to learn before you can call yourself a rock star, my friend

Hollow Press (my blog)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #436 on: 10 Jul 2012, 03:43 »

GPOY
This Friday, in Brooklyn. Don't make me drive 12 hours and not see your smiling face (you know if you are in the NYC area).
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #437 on: 10 Jul 2012, 18:10 »

You clearly have a lot to learn before you can call yourself a felon/registered sex offender, my friend

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #438 on: 11 Jul 2012, 14:48 »

So I know I do a lot of talking about Troubador, because we're quite active. Our album isn't done yet though. My other band Sun Kin, however, has just put our first album up for free on the internet, and I think it's pretty dang rad! We've got a broad range of influences, from Mark Knopfler and Todd Rundgren (mine) to the Dirty Projectors and Animal Collective (Kabir's).

CLICKY CLICKY CLICKY
http://sunraykin.bandcamp.com/
^^ CLICK ON THIS ^^
     DO IT
                       ^^  I SAID FUCKING DO IT

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #439 on: 11 Jul 2012, 18:23 »

All right!  All right!  I did it.

Pretty decent stuff, too.

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #440 on: 12 Jul 2012, 00:41 »

(I Hate The Man Who Runs This Bar)

I have definitely said that aloud many a time.

Dude. Guys. Play the fucking Gilman. It is such a good time! For seriously.

I got propositioned by an underage Gilman groupie and I was like "Oh you're 18 in a week? How cute, here's a sticker" and walked off :D

Is that where they had the legendary Gilman Speed Trials back in the days? Some friends and I are considering bringing that concept back, because how can you NOT love the idea of 5-6 Grindcore bands competing to see who's the fastest?!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #441 on: 12 Jul 2012, 08:25 »

You clearly have a lot to learn before you can call yourself a felon/registered sex offender, my friend

Semantics!

Hollow Press (my blog)

VonKleist

« Reply #442 on: 12 Jul 2012, 11:43 »

As an old folkie, I totally approve of your version of "Black Jack Davey"!!

{edit}  I also liked "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue", and I am listening to the other songs.

Good show!!

oohhh, I wasn't aware that you could see all the files on my account ^^

There´s a bunch of stuff on there from my band and then some

THanks for listening, anyway!!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #443 on: 12 Jul 2012, 14:18 »

These are all bands I've been in, or bands other bandmates have been in, or their bandmates, or our current gigs. Frocky Jack; The Blots; Illicitizen; thank you, spaceman; borghal rantipole.
http://8tracks.com/doombilly/motion-standing

Me and Eric Cook were in Frocky Jack, and The Blots. Eric Cook was in 'thank you, spaceman.' And I recorded some of their early stuff. Scott Thompson was in the 'thank you, spaceman' but before that he was in 'borghal rantipole.' Scott also recorded a bunch of early Frocky Jack stuff. I'm pretty sure the live version of 'a cage' was 1 of his recordings.

/vanity press of the later 90's-early 0ughties.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #444 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:00 »

All right!  All right!  I did it.

Pretty decent stuff, too.

Hey, thanks! Noticed you downloaded it too. Thanks!

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #445 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:49 »

No, I downloaded it! Suck it, Bandcamp statistics, I am the ninja in yr midst.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #446 on: 18 Jul 2012, 13:41 »

I've got a bootleg of a song from Troubador's show at 924 Gilman! Here we are doing one of our new ones, called Red Rat Bucket Dirt Grave.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #447 on: 18 Jul 2012, 19:53 »

Jesus fucking christ that is a solid tune.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #448 on: 18 Jul 2012, 21:25 »

Somebody told me my music should be in videogames.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/494532

VonKleist

« Reply #449 on: 19 Jul 2012, 00:01 »

@Patrick:

Nice tune, would totally go see you guys.
I like that the backing vocals only come in at a few well choosen places. Provides just the right accentuation.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up