THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music  (Read 211164 times)

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
Re: This is the thead where share and talk about our own music
« Reply #650 on: 24 Feb 2014, 01:20 »

Excellent! Send me a PM when you've got something and I'll add you into the show!
In the meantime, feel free to listen in to the show - runs 9pm-Midnight on Tuesdays (Australian Central Standard Time) and you can live stream from www.bbbfm.com :)

I've recently taken to recording my busking sets from various farmers markets and other places. Below is a cover of Machine Gun Fellatio's The Girl Of My Dreams, recorded at the Adelaide Hills Market, which I played on my show last week. Pretty fun cover.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/the-best-worst-idea/the-girl-of-my-dreams-cover[/soundcloud]
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #651 on: 26 Feb 2014, 14:57 »

god your voice is good.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #652 on: 26 Feb 2014, 17:11 »

Who, me?  :psyduck:
~She/Her/They/Them~

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #653 on: 26 Feb 2014, 21:16 »

Another live cover, this time recorded at the Barossa Farmers' Market (I do love me them farmers' markets) (Original is by Washington, whom I'd thoroughly reccommend y'all listen to):
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/the-best-worst-idea/holy-moses-cover[/soundcloud]
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #655 on: 27 Feb 2014, 01:41 »

Aw shucks, you guys, I'm flattered. :lol:
~She/Her/They/Them~

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #656 on: 06 Mar 2014, 16:00 »

Christ guys, I'm trying to record for the first time in years. I have songs, but because they're completely instrumental at the minute, I'm being far too pretentious and perfectionist about everything. Do any of you do this when you're trying to get some stuff down? Surely I just need to relax and let my fingers do the talking...
La vie est drôle

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #657 on: 06 Mar 2014, 16:22 »

I'm pretty much a one take and done kinda guy unless there's an insane bad mistake.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #658 on: 06 Mar 2014, 16:37 »

I'm pretty much a one take and done kinda guy unless there's an insane bad mistake.

I hate you so much right now.

Fucking hell I need a band.
La vie est drôle

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #659 on: 07 Mar 2014, 01:10 »

But dude, that's because I like my shit messy and never make anything perfect. It's a stylistic choice as much as it's about competence.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #660 on: 07 Mar 2014, 01:43 »

Christ guys, I'm trying to record for the first time in years. I have songs, but because they're completely instrumental at the minute, I'm being far too pretentious and perfectionist about everything. Do any of you do this when you're trying to get some stuff down? Surely I just need to relax and let my fingers do the talking...

depends on whether or not you're doing overdubs. if no, fuck it, just get your ideas down in a form where you can access them later without relying on your own memory. if yes, well, that's a little different of a story, but there are such things as demos.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #661 on: 07 Mar 2014, 02:22 »

But dude, that's because I like my shit messy and never make anything perfect. It's a stylistic choice as much as it's about competence.
This is the main problem I'm having, I also want mine to be messy and dirty and grungey, I'll have another go today and see if I can chill out a bit more
depends on whether or not you're doing overdubs. if no, fuck it, just get your ideas down in a form where you can access them later without relying on your own memory. if yes, well, that's a little different of a story, but there are such things as demos.
I have been trying to do the overdubs, and that's part of what's causing me problems, but even with the rhythm part I'm being overly prissy and perfect about it. I think I need to realise that these things are for me, they're not going to be heard by anyone else any time soon, so I should just chill out.

The worst thing is it's now making me question myself as a guitarist, I'm by no means amazing on the thing, but I know how to play the way I like to play, and I sit and come up with my own things more often than I sit and try to learn the solo from Paranoid.
La vie est drôle

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #662 on: 07 Mar 2014, 02:29 »

Albums take like a million takes of every track to get done. That's why it's always such a big deal when a band says 'we did it live in one take!' Which is most likely bullshit most of the time anyway. Not being able to get it done in one is nothing to do with musical competence. I can do perfect single takes of my songs all the time... until the red light's on, and then I screw up left right and centre because of the pressure, just like I sing better when I'm drunk in a club than I do onstage because I'm in DGAF mode and so I just let my throat open and the words fly.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #663 on: 07 Mar 2014, 02:56 »

My personal record for "most takes required to complete a song" is 106 or 107 (took me at least 6 hours and I swore a lot), and it was for the bass line to this song. The most irksome thing I've ever experienced was getting the finalized masters for it and discovering that the part right at the end of the 2nd verse got cut by accident. How in the actual fuck does a mistake like that happen in the digital age? And to be totally fair and honest, this song is not perfect.

Still, I'm incredibly proud of this recording, and all my contributions to this song specifically. It brings me back to the whole 3 days we spent on this song alone. My bandmate had kinda dropped out of the song a little bit emotionally by time we'd recorded it (he got over his feelings for the situation that inspired it) and it had become a lot more relevant for my life due to things that transpired during the recording process. Kabir wrote the song and did lead vocals and the acoustic guitar track, and I either tracked or wrote every single other individual instrument/vocal part of the song.

It's been almost 2 years, and in that amount of time, I regret less the minor imperfections, and more the fact I can't ever make it out to Berkeley like I used to in order to go jam and record with somebody with whom I have done work I'm still just as proud of as the day we called that album done.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2014, 03:06 by Patrick »

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #664 on: 07 Mar 2014, 03:35 »

Albums take like a million takes of every track to get done. That's why it's always such a big deal when a band says 'we did it live in one take!' Which is most likely bullshit most of the time anyway. Not being able to get it done in one is nothing to do with musical competence. I can do perfect single takes of my songs all the time... until the red light's on, and then I screw up left right and centre because of the pressure, just like I sing better when I'm drunk in a club than I do onstage because I'm in DGAF mode and so I just let my throat open and the words fly.
So stop being so hard on myself? It was so much more fun with bandmates I have to say.
My personal record for "most takes required to complete a song" is 106 or 107 (took me at least 6 hours and I swore a lot), and it was for the bass line to this song. The most irksome thing I've ever experienced was getting the finalized masters for it and discovering that the part right at the end of the 2nd verse got cut by accident. How in the actual fuck does a mistake like that happen in the digital age? And to be totally fair and honest, this song is not perfect.

Still, I'm incredibly proud of this recording, and all my contributions to this song specifically. It brings me back to the whole 3 days we spent on this song alone. My bandmate had kinda dropped out of the song a little bit emotionally by time we'd recorded it (he got over his feelings for the situation that inspired it) and it had become a lot more relevant for my life due to things that transpired during the recording process. Kabir wrote the song and did lead vocals and the acoustic guitar track, and I either tracked or wrote every single other individual instrument/vocal part of the song.

It's been almost 2 years, and in that amount of time, I regret less the minor imperfections, and more the fact I can't ever make it out to Berkeley like I used to in order to go jam and record with somebody with whom I have done work I'm still just as proud of as the day we called that album done.
I just bought that album dude, that song was awesome!
La vie est drôle

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #665 on: 07 Mar 2014, 03:59 »

Absolutely stop being hard on yourself. You're recording fun stuff for your own benefit. Just enjoy yourself.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #666 on: 07 Mar 2014, 05:42 »

shit, thanks! I can't say the whole thing is quite as good as that one (I feel like we got rushed in a number of ways in the final steps), but there's some that I'm damn proud of. "Slacker's Jaw" is probably my favorite. we used just our voices, guitars+amps, stomps and claps, and a weed grinder, and it sounds more like the real deal than some of the stuff we kinda half-assed with more conventional rock instrumentation. second favorite is the one linked before, and then "Bittern Suite" and "A.H" tie for 3rd.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #667 on: 11 Mar 2014, 17:07 »

just released the last re-recording of Send A Message on bandcamp. http://illicitizen.bandcamp.com/

also this

I got page break raped! Also this:
https://www.facebook.com/TODHMNOLA
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #668 on: 11 Mar 2014, 18:25 »

shit, thanks! I can't say the whole thing is quite as good as that one (I feel like we got rushed in a number of ways in the final steps), but there's some that I'm damn proud of. "Slacker's Jaw" is probably my favorite. we used just our voices, guitars+amps, stomps and claps, and a weed grinder, and it sounds more like the real deal than some of the stuff we kinda half-assed with more conventional rock instrumentation. second favorite is the one linked before, and then "Bittern Suite" and "A.H" tie for 3rd.

Having listened to it a few times, I can agree with what you said, Rust really does stand out to me as a great track, not that any of the album feels like filler or is bad in anyway, it's actually brilliantly coherent and consistent. It really reminds me of Oh, inverted World by The Shins, in that I love listening to the whole album, but my ears always prick up when Pressed In A Book starts playing, it just has a certain something that catches me out and I love it.

Altogether, you should be proud of the album for sure. And now I need to start listening to Troubadour a bit more.
La vie est drôle

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #669 on: 11 Mar 2014, 23:28 »

You should definitely listen to more Troubador. Particularly West Texas. On Repeat.

Seriously, it's one of my favourite songs of all time now.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #670 on: 12 Mar 2014, 00:53 »

Having listened to it a few times, I can agree with what you said, Rust really does stand out to me as a great track, not that any of the album feels like filler or is bad in anyway, it's actually brilliantly coherent and consistent. It really reminds me of Oh, inverted World by The Shins, in that I love listening to the whole album, but my ears always prick up when Pressed In A Book starts playing, it just has a certain something that catches me out and I love it.

Altogether, you should be proud of the album for sure. And now I need to start listening to Troubadour a bit more.

Thanks! I am definitely proud of it, and I agree that there's lots of good ideas on there. I just think that for all Kabir's incredible creative talents, he could stand to be a little more patient during the recording process. I feel like some truly excellent songs (Headband Dream, Good Feels, and most of all Rotten Rotten Me) are marred by some very avoidable slop that I just can't get over, for some reason which is inextricably related to my obsessive perfectionism. In some of the newer demos he's showed me, though, his overdubs fit a lot tighter than ever before. Maybe me bitching at him like a nagging spouse to use a metronome finally sunk in. ;)

And feel free to listen to whatever of mine you want, you'll hear nothing but thanks from me. Y'all are too kind.  :psyduck:

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #671 on: 17 Mar 2014, 14:15 »

New song (1st one) for https://theoliviadehavillandmosquitoes.bandcamp.com/ get it for nuttin.' Acoustic guitar, double bass and vocal. Who needs drums (or Groove Boxes)? :angel:
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #672 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:51 »

So I've been doing a fair few covers recently for my radio show, one of which is from Patrick's band Troubador - I covered their song Sunday Morning, and to be honest, I think it's one of the best one-takes I've ever done:
https://app.box.com/s/l61ycih0bjd698cvus2c

Also last night my band did a one-take of Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National, which I am incredibly happy about.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/the-best-worst-idea/bloodbuzz-ohio-cover[/soundcloud]

Still trying to write some more originals, particularly lyrics - i'm almost tempted to go full on Cream and just have random lines that make no sense ('but the rainbow has a beard' et al)
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #673 on: 23 Apr 2014, 10:26 »

I hope you're partly tempted because I keep trying to get you to do it. I wrote one of my absolute best songs that way and I'm working on another one where I plan on doing that. You can always rewrite the lyrics later, at least get a vocal melody in there.

And sometimes the words take on more meaning than they first appear ('she's eating her fingers like they're just another meal') and sometimes you find transcendent lines in amongst the wreckage ('you're the kind of girl I like because you're empty and I'm empty').

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #674 on: 25 Apr 2014, 09:09 »

So I've been doing a fair few covers recently for my radio show, one of which is from Patrick's band Troubador - I covered their song Sunday Morning

did a god damn good job of it too.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #675 on: 27 Apr 2014, 06:59 »

This is another of my trademark half finished recordings for you including forgetting how the last part goes because I'm hung over :D
But screw it, at least I'm getting better at the guitar while singing thing
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tuathal/a-song-for-sarah/s-pnvZE[/soundcloud]
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #676 on: 27 Apr 2014, 14:37 »

beautiful piece there. good work man.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #677 on: 02 May 2014, 09:50 »

My band's new album "We Don't Remember The Dream, But The Dream Remembers Us" is now finally available! We have it on iTunes, Amazon, and CD Baby,  on Spotify, or if you want the full artwork pick it up on CD at CD Baby.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/theriveras1

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #678 on: 02 May 2014, 15:57 »

Having played a few of the songs from said album on my radio show, I heartily endorse it.  :-D
~She/Her/They/Them~

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #679 on: 03 May 2014, 02:05 »

Likewise. Chad, it probably goes without saying by now, but I appreciate the fuck out of your band and your collective efforts. Please don't ever stop.

Tonight I got drunk and decided to write a song about an airliner I watched as it passed over my hometown. And it reminded me of my dad, who is aging a year per month, it seems. So I decided to write about the airplane, and my feelings regarding my relationship with my pops just decided to show up out of nowhere. I got lucky tonight.

Anyway, here's a rough demo of the song, and since the recording quality is POTATO~~~ the lyrics follow below, spoilered for the tidiness of the thread:

(click to show/hide)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #680 on: 03 May 2014, 12:06 »

I have nothing better to do with my time than to make a mockery of the greatest song ever written

Where'd this go? This being From the Hips.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

KingOfIreland

« Reply #681 on: 04 May 2014, 04:53 »

Damn it patrick, you continually astound me with how you're not famous yet

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #682 on: 05 May 2014, 08:25 »

I have nothing better to do with my time than to make a mockery of the greatest song ever written

Where'd this go? This being From the Hips.

I took it down because I was running out of space on my Soundcloud, and that wasn't my best work, so it got axed. I've put it on my box.com account for you, here you go: https://app.box.com/s/0jh535l313qh5s2l6qpr

Damn it patrick, you continually astound me with how you're not famous yet

Thanks! Truth told though, I have little interest in becoming terribly famous. Been there, done that, stole the t-shirt and left the country.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #683 on: 05 May 2014, 11:36 »

Awesome! Thanks, Pat!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #685 on: 06 May 2014, 11:52 »

nah, thank you guys. <3

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #686 on: 08 May 2014, 22:08 »

Thanks for the kind words, Patrick!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #687 on: 08 May 2014, 23:58 »

thanks for the killer jams, Chad. we may be trying to hit Los Angeles sometime this summer to play with a local band there, and the commute for your band and mine would be pretty similar. I'll be in touch with a good bit of notice when the time comes. I'd love to play with y'all and I definitely wanna see/chill with Babes again. you'd like them, musically and personally, I'm pretty sure of that.

KingOfIreland

« Reply #688 on: 22 May 2014, 17:13 »

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tuathal/be-happy[/soundcloud]

Holy shit I just rediscovered this. I'm extraordinarily happy with myself for once

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #689 on: 30 May 2014, 08:55 »

So my girlfriend got me a uke and I love it, but they're a bit en vogue these days. Every motherfucker has a uke. And they all do the same shit. Twee indie love songs or ironic covers.

So I did a murder ballad.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/gareth-hughes-13/i-saw-your-body[/soundcloud]
This is the full version.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/gareth-hughes-13/i-saw-your-body-uke-version[/soundcloud]
This is one where my vox are accompanied only by uke and the guitar solo in the middle.

Here are the lyrics.
(click to show/hide)

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #690 on: 02 Jun 2014, 08:00 »

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/westerndesolation/time-to-wake-up-fullish-demo[/soundcloud]

whatev

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #691 on: 02 Jun 2014, 16:58 »

@Gaz, do you mind if I play that one on my show tonight? It's fantastic.

I may or may not have mentioned earlier that I recently covered a song by Pat's band Troubador. I'm pretty damn pleased with it.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/the-best-worst-idea/sunday-morning-troubador-cover[/soundcloud]

And because I can, I did an instrumental version of one of the Greatest Songs Of All Time. Enjoy.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/the-best-worst-idea/bohemian-rhapsody-instrumental[/soundcloud]
~She/Her/They/Them~

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #692 on: 02 Jun 2014, 23:50 »

I recently wrote a new song called "Mr. Heath" about a person who I believe is seriously the biggest shitbaby piece of garbage in this whole godforsaken world, and you can listen to it here.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/kimjongsick/mr-heath[/soundcloud]

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #693 on: 23 Jun 2014, 18:37 »

Um.  I'm a bit of a music curmudgeon/ignoramus, but wow there is some serious talent in this thread.  I am blown away.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #694 on: 06 Jul 2014, 16:15 »

I agree, we've got a lot of great folks around here. And since I post a lot of stuff in here, I'll go ahead and thank you for a hell of a compliment.

I sang backing vocals and did a bit of production on this, and I also played bass.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/steve-guthrie/under-the-crescent-moon[/soundcloud]

KingOfIreland

« Reply #695 on: 15 Jul 2014, 16:30 »

In true KingOfIreland style, I've uploaded half finished recordings.
I think that with a drummer and a bassist we might have a decent sort thing here

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tuathal/metalfulltake1[/soundcloud]

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #696 on: 18 Jul 2014, 18:52 »

Sometimes, I look at someone playing the guitar, and I think to myself "man, if I ever learned, I'd probably never stop playing"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #697 on: 09 Aug 2014, 01:27 »

my 11th anniversary just passed me by on the 5th of the month. when you truly love your craft, that kind of dedication comes easy. my longest stretch without playing is 2 weeks, and it wasn't my idea, for damned sure.

KingOfIreland

« Reply #698 on: 18 Aug 2014, 13:40 »

I decided to make some triphop after seeing portishead the day before yesterday
I was going for drugged out of your mind paranoia. Think I got pretty close.
Listen with headphones and your EQ set for a massive mid scoop becuse I mastered it on a shitty hifi system

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tuathal/tripping-over-the-doorstep-voices[/soundcloud]

Van donk III

• Furry furrier
  • eyeballs.
    • DNKimage
« Reply #699 on: 28 Aug 2014, 03:54 »

I like trip hop.

Check out my new project PHOTON

https://soundcloud.com/photon-music-1/interstellar
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up