THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 12:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's going to happen before Veronica leaves town?

Reconciliation - between the sheets.
- 4 (3.1%)
Platonic Reconciliation.
- 11 (8.7%)
Hilarious Misunderstanding.
- 17 (13.4%)
MARTEN RAAAAAAGGGGGEEEE!
- 26 (20.5%)
DORA RAAAAAAGGGGGEEEE!
- 0 (0%)
FAYE RAAAAAAGGGGGEEEE!
- 4 (3.1%)
Hannelore Hulks out!
- 6 (4.7%)
Sven Seduction!
- 9 (7.1%)
Cosette Burns down COD, everyone dies.
- 18 (14.2%)
Pintsize!
- 8 (6.3%)
Waffles!
- 24 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT January 3-7, 2011 (1831-1835)  (Read 106624 times)

AnAverageWriter

Re: WCDT January 3-7, 2011 (1831-1835)
« Reply #150 on: 04 Jan 2011, 16:48 »

Marigold would look good in a collar - so would Hanners.
*Walks off whistling innocently*

Somehow Marigold doesn't strike me as that kind of girl...

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #151 on: 04 Jan 2011, 16:50 »

and start balling her eyes out
Now there's a vivid mental picture.

Not to mention uncomfortable.   :wink:

I don't know if Ms. Reed is going to have an earnest heart-to-heart with Dora or give her a gentle ultimatum, but I agree that her expression indicates that she's not there to tear into her son's ex.  Possible surprise guest at CoD tomorrow: "Kirk?  My goodness, I was just talking about you!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #152 on: 04 Jan 2011, 17:00 »

Kirk?

Oh, please Jesus God no!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #153 on: 04 Jan 2011, 17:49 »

realized it's highly unlikely we're going to see Dora chained to a wall, covered in bruises and beat to heck, with Veronica standing nearby, in full regalia, brandishing a bullwhip with a frayed tip as well as a look of righteous murderous rage screaming "BABY BEGS NOW!!!"...
...at least not before Friday.

I wish...  But I'll guess that by now, Jeph is (as usual) a step or two ahead of us (me.)  This scene, as ideal as it seems, has been bandied about enough that he's thought up the next dramatic step; and Veronica's calm walk over to see Dora seems to herald it.  

But let's see SOME invocation of righteous retribution, to please us rabid fans!   :evil:
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 15:47 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #154 on: 04 Jan 2011, 18:40 »

Come to think of it, Veronica was very easy-going with Faye before she gave that little "Hieronymous Bosch" speech. She could be very much the kind, considerate and caring person toward Dora - before she lays on the "get fixed or I will personally HELP Faye put you in the emergency room.

"Or what's left of you."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #155 on: 04 Jan 2011, 18:49 »

Ms. Reed may have assessed Faye as needing both sympathetic understanding and a good scare. Maybe she'll give Dora what Dora needs, whatever that turns out to be.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!
« Reply #156 on: 04 Jan 2011, 19:42 »

... as a look of righteous murderous rage screaming "BABY BEGS NOW!!!"...

http://superstupor.com/sust12272007.shtml?  Or is that more of a well-traveled meme than I've seen?   :-D

Yes, that strip was exactly where the BABY BEGS NOW! came from.  I just loved that comic... even though I've not read Super Stupor except what shows up in an S*P archive binge. :)
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #157 on: 04 Jan 2011, 20:04 »

Dora's going to have some sort of epiphany and start balling her eyes out

Like, with a melon baller, or what?

Sorry, couldn't resist.   :-P
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

akronnick

« Reply #158 on: 04 Jan 2011, 20:29 »

So would Dora be using the melon baller on her own eyes or Veronica's?

Or Penelope's?

And does that mean we have to list the melon baller with the broadswarod et. al. when listing the shop's weapons inventory?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #159 on: 04 Jan 2011, 21:18 »

Dora's going to have some sort of epiphany and start balling her eyes out

Like, with a melon baller, or what?

Sorry, couldn't resist.   :-P

So would Dora be using the melon baller on her own eyes or Veronica's?

Or Penelope's?

And does that mean we have to list the melon baller with the broadswarod et. al. when listing the shop's weapons inventory?

...I'll be here all week. Try the fish.

:psyduck:
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #160 on: 04 Jan 2011, 21:54 »

Dora getting a hug from Veronica?

Cue Marten walking by the window in 3...2...

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!
« Reply #161 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:47 »

Well, to say that this was unexpected for me would be the greatest understatement of the year.

IlGreven

• Emoticontraindication
  • Also, no 4-year-olds on the pee-pee.
    • Grev's Big Journal Thingy
« Reply #162 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:51 »

Nah, he's still at the restaurant.
A gigantic force on the 'Net, and even BIGGER in person.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #163 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:53 »

Yay Comic ! But: I swear I never saw THAT one coming ... Jeph is the Jedi Master !

Waffles win.

Why do Waffles win ?

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=510

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=524

...that's why.  :-D

But ... but ... Hanners !
Carpe Diem

TheEvilDog

« Reply #164 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:54 »

Nah, he's still at the restaurant.

In all fairness I wrote that when Jeph was doing the sketch for the first panel....like three hours ago.

And come on, Marten could have been "Hey...Mom has been gone for a while....Better look for her."

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #165 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:55 »

Yay! That was pretty much what I was expecting - and was glad to get.  :angel:

akronnick

« Reply #166 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:55 »

What an odd thing to go out of one's way to make a point of...

If nobody yells at Dora soon so she can lash out at them instead of facing her own insecurity, her head's gonna pop clean off!

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #167 on: 04 Jan 2011, 23:57 »

FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY!
I still believe!

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #168 on: 05 Jan 2011, 00:04 »

A false sense of security not just for Dora, but for us. Tomorrows comic is gonna be Veronica walking back into the resturant and calmly placing Dora's bloody severed head on the table. Only one five words of dialogue, from Veronica:

"I took care of it."
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Nentuaby

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #169 on: 05 Jan 2011, 00:28 »

You'd think she'd be a bit better at "mean on demand" given her line of work. :evil:

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #170 on: 05 Jan 2011, 00:37 »

Marigold would look good in a collar - so would Hanners.
*Walks off whistling innocently*

...this could be good fanart material if handled tastefully, and that's really all there is to say on the matter.

As to the comic it is kind of hilarious how Dora seems to expect a violent retribution that no one is giving her. Everyone is instead being so supportive and kind about it that it's freaking her out. Meanwhile, everyone is telling Marten to suck it up, kid, while he fishes for hugs.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #171 on: 05 Jan 2011, 00:49 »

Just like that one scene in Two and a Half Men.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #172 on: 05 Jan 2011, 00:54 »

As to the comic it is kind of hilarious how Dora seems to expect a violent retribution that no one is giving her. Everyone is instead being so supportive and kind about it that it's freaking her out. Meanwhile, everyone is telling Marten to suck it up, kid, while he fishes for hugs.

The Chew Toy/Woobie is not allowed to get hugs. We may WANT him to get hugs, but him not getting them adds to his overall Woobieness.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 00:57 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Pika_power

• Plantmonster
« Reply #173 on: 05 Jan 2011, 00:57 »

This bugs me. Why does no one seem to care about Marten? I hate to get on the blame-train, but the break up was due to Dora's insecurities. She needs help, but he deserves sympathy too.

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #174 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:06 »

Just like that one scene in Two and a Half Men.

I'm sure the single fan of the show would love the reference. :D

michael28

« Reply #175 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:07 »

Bosch Paintings man, BOSCH! Why does the crazy chick with the dead dad gets promised to make her life a Bosch painting?
And the one, wich nuked (it's "torpedieren" in German, but I think dropping the A-Bomb fits better) her first healthy relationship because she's unable to get external help, gets a hug? Not even a dead glare or one of that sad, disappointed looks only women and especially moms can do.

I hereby demand more death glares combined with Murloc gurggling :D

Yeah, living up the gender stereotypes aren't we? The women is always the helpless damsel in distress.
The only thing where Marten should "man" up is get the heck out of this mess, telling that bunch to piss off, to get some time for himself. Seeing how supportive his "friends" are, I'd recommend canada. Become a lumber jack, but he lacks about 20 pounds of muscles to do that and don't break his back :D .

I don't know why Jeph tortures him that much, but nothing i didn't see before in comics or novels. Authors give the main protagonist a bad time, especially if the hero is a representation of the writer in the story.
It took 29years of strips and that shitty animated movies for Jon in Garfield to finally date the nice pet doctor.
I hope Jeph likes Marten more than that :D.

Typing that, I'm reminded, what Marten said before Faye knocked him out, about him helping crazy chicks, he likes so they can bang other dudes (or women if Tai ever gets lucky with Dora ^^).
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 01:11 by michael28 »
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #176 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:23 »

The Chew Toy/Woobie is not allowed to get hugs. We may WANT him to get hugs, but him not getting them adds to his overall Woobieness.

I think it's more being played for ironic humor, albeit in a very subtle way. Neither party is getting what they want. Dora wants her feelings of self-anger and guilt and such validated but she gets affection and understanding. Marten wants to be coddled and instead he gets tough love.

It's hard, Marten. Being a kid and growing up.

It's hard and nobody understands.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #177 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:31 »

Spot on.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #178 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:54 »

The real irony is how Dora is being made more and more sympathetic with every appearance since the breakup. You can't help feeling just as sorry for, or even sorrier, for her than Marten even though Marten's the one who got dumped. I suppose it's only fair, since Dora's gotten a fair amount of boos and hisses (and quite a few 'great for Marten') sentiments since the dumping, so Jeph's naturally going to try to raise sympathy for her.

I just wonder if Marten's going to risk setting foot in CoD again to confront his mom if he figures out where she's gone. Let's not forget, that the norm for many people after a breakup is to never see their exes again, it's easier than dealing with the discomfort of moving past the breakup to build a platonic relationship. And not seeing Dora again wouldn't impact Marten's social circle much-he'd still see Faye and Hannelore, since they live in the same building, Steve is more his friend than Dora's anyway, and Tai would still be his boss and work buddy. He just wouldn't set foot in CoD anymore, nor would Dora be coming to his apartment.

michael28

« Reply #179 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:57 »

I think it's more being played for ironic humor, albeit in a very subtle way. Neither party is getting what they want. Dora wants her feelings of self-anger and guilt and such validated but she gets affection and understanding. Marten wants to be coddled and instead he gets tough love.

It's hard, Marten. Being a kid and growing up.

It's hard and nobody understands.
I think it's more about what Marten doesn't want, first, he doesn't want to get pissed on on a regular basis by his social circle. And that's what's happening right now. He didn't want his relationship to end and he didn't want Dora to take the easy way of flight.
Not even Dora wanted their r. to end, but she wasn't capable of getting help before launching the icbm and now she's short of dying her hair black, start cutting her forearms (remember if you want to do it right, go along the road not across!) and listen to sad emo music.

Both need a swift kick to the rear (with steel capped ass kicking boots), or their sad, sad membership cards to the Emo-Club.

Even the arc about Faith working through her dad's suicide was more ironic and humorous than that current story line, and there are lightyears of disctance between witnessing the death of a loved one where your worrying about the cirumstances and breaking up because of the eternal happy relationship syndrom of a couple of mid-twenties (near-30s).

@themacnut
Dora got 1 death glare and a don't-you-dare-to-wallow-in-self-pity-it's-your-own-fault speech from Faye (and a forced therapist session, which I want to see soon) the reast were nice hugs, and so on . Marten instead was the target of pranks, got knocked out because of something interesting he said, while beeing drunk, has his mom who forced a visit on him around, who embarasses him in every second panel. Maybe that's the reaction of Jeph, for the crowd of supporting Marten an hating Dora, but I still think, Marten could use a hug way more than Dora.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 02:15 by michael28 »
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #180 on: 05 Jan 2011, 02:23 »

I agree, Marten could use a hug a lot more than Dora. But in the interests of ironic humor and Marten remaining as the comic's Chew Toy/Woobie, he ain't gettin' one.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #181 on: 05 Jan 2011, 03:10 »

You'd think she'd be a bit better at "mean on demand" given her line of work. :evil:
Indeed. Maybe too short a notice to put herself in the proper state of mind.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #182 on: 05 Jan 2011, 03:46 »

I think it's a bit disingenuous to rush to apply a trope to Marten. Recall that for the past year, he was doing very well by his own standards and that of most of his social group. He certainly seemed satisfied right up until the end recently.

He's not the chew toy, he's just stuck in the midst of rapid change. He doesn't do change very well, as has been pointed out in several threads.

I also think this echoes the early days of the comic, and may be a little teensy bit of Jeph giving people who complained about Dora and about Marty's relationship and his happiness their just desserts.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

michael28

« Reply #183 on: 05 Jan 2011, 04:37 »

I also think this echoes the early days of the comic, and may be a little teensy bit of Jeph giving people who complained about Dora and about Marty's relationship and his happiness their just desserts.
I hope those people are happy with this mess. Me, I'd like dinner this time without a dessert, please.
- Sigmund Freud -

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities
« Reply #184 on: 05 Jan 2011, 04:45 »

I kinda just want to see the entirety of Veronica's outfit.  Some sort of mini with thigh-high boots of some kind?  Yes, please!
SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #185 on: 05 Jan 2011, 04:53 »

Meanwhile, back at the restaurant, "Where's Mom?  Must have been a helluva long call - I'll need to get the salad to go."

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #186 on: 05 Jan 2011, 05:07 »

I kinda just want to see the entirety of Veronica's outfit.  Some sort of mini with thigh-high boots of some kind?  Yes, please!

Yes, those are some very nice looking boot tops.  This is the first semi-good look we get at those tops, after that quick glimpse back in 1822.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #187 on: 05 Jan 2011, 06:46 »

To me, the most telling statement in that entire strip is "It'd be easier if you'd just be MEAN about it."

This woman EXPECTS to be treated like $#!+ when it comes to relationships and the aftermath.

That is just not right.

EDIT: Dear God, we're talking about her Boot Tops? <facepalm>
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #188 on: 05 Jan 2011, 07:27 »

JW (I can call you that right?  If not just say so)  I think you've hit the nail on the head here. 

Dora's reaction since the breakup is to expect to be treated abosolutely horribly by everyone, and the fact that she isn't is sort of freaking her out.  She's still waiting for the big shoe to drop and the wait is killing her.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #189 on: 05 Jan 2011, 07:50 »

@jkwhouk - And I can totally identify with her on that. Most of my relationships have ended due to it being my fault, and I always expect to be raked over the coals. when I eventually found myself in a circle of friends who are actually supportive and understanding, I didn't know how to take it at all. It is scary when your world changes, even when it is for the better. When your learned expectations are not met, you have no idea how to respond.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #190 on: 05 Jan 2011, 08:14 »

That is just not right.

Why do you think it's not right?

Breaking up with someone is commonly considered a bad thing. Expecting further backlash in the context of social polarisation would seem to be fairly normal to me. I think it's part of how we're conditioned on social, moral and ethical transgressions.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #191 on: 05 Jan 2011, 08:37 »

Well, today was a big heap of "more of the same for Dora".

What's the point of hauling Marten's mom out here if we're just going to see another supportive hug?

/comic, I am dissappoint.

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #192 on: 05 Jan 2011, 08:40 »

EDIT: Dear God, we're talking about her Boot Tops? <facepalm>

Hey, above the knee boots aren't exactly super common items.  And besides, it makes a nice diversion from all the "panic panic" that everyone was going into over Mrs. Reed visting CoD.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #193 on: 05 Jan 2011, 09:03 »

Y'all can thank themacnut for me dropping out of lurker status and actually posting. I don't feel sorry for Dora, and it's actually fairly aggravating that she's getting all of this undeserved support. My ex ruined a perfectly good relationship based on similarly flimsy reasoning and insecurities, and it pissed me off just as much back then that she was reassured and coddled by our social circle while I got the boot. I may be tough, but kicking me when I'm down provokes me to break you, not "get over it."

Eventually, it resulted in our social circle splitting into halves in a very messy, extended breakdown. I understand a writer's desire and vulnerability through their characters, but Dora did something that shouldn't be minimized so...trivially.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #194 on: 05 Jan 2011, 09:35 »

Y'all can thank themacnut for me dropping out of lurker status and actually posting. I don't feel sorry for Dora, and it's actually fairly aggravating that she's getting all of this undeserved support. My ex ruined a perfectly good relationship based on similarly flimsy reasoning and insecurities, and it pissed me off just as much back then that she was reassured and coddled by our social circle while I got the boot. I may be tough, but kicking me when I'm down provokes me to break you, not "get over it."

Eventually, it resulted in our social circle splitting into halves in a very messy, extended breakdown. I understand a writer's desire and vulnerability through their characters, but Dora did something that shouldn't be minimized so...trivially.

What OP  said ^.

-Dora's the one who couldn't wait more than *2* days to jump Marten after Faye shot him down.

-She then pulled one thing after another on Marten with her insecurities.

- She casually told people *point blank* that she didn't see the relationship lasting. (Not that she ever bothered to tell Marten or anything.)

-Then when her insecurities finally got too much for her to handle, she dumped Marten instead of facing up to them.

***********************************************************************************************

I think anyone with two functioning brain cells would rightfully assume people to be a little pissed at them after they've farked up as badly as Dora did.

I'm sympathetic to her in the conversational sense that 'Yeah, man that sucks.' Because it's always really painful when you screw up that much.

However, since it was the person's fault they got into the mess in the first place. I'm not going to sit there and cuddle them like they got the short end of the stick or something ("Oh, I'm so so sorry for you!"). They didn't. This is all their own making. And now it's time for them to face the music and *un-fark* up their lives. That's what being an adult is all about.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #195 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:10 »

Oh, good!  We're back to Dora-demonizing.

Fantastic.   :psyduck:

davidv

• Not quite a lurker
  • Nah man.
« Reply #196 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:12 »

Dora wants to be punished. She knows she ruined something that was working because she acted like a crazy person. And instead, everyone is acting all supporting and nice, including the professional dominatrix. Nothing is worse than when you feel like you deserve to be treated badly and aren't.

Dora is probably in hell right now.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #197 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:17 »

Yes, how dare she break up with Marten rather than continuing a relationship that she felt she couldn't be secure in and she couldn't see through to the long-term without the fighting constantly happening.  How dare she break up with Marten rather than making him go through her recovery with her, which could have resulted in a break-up anyway.  How dare she spare him the stress.  How dare she, that selfish bitch.

Am I getting the tone right?

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #198 on: 05 Jan 2011, 10:46 »

Yes, how dare she break up with Marten rather than continuing a relationship that she felt she couldn't be secure in and she couldn't see through to the long-term without the fighting constantly happening.  How dare she break up with Marten rather than making him go through her recovery with her, which could have resulted in a break-up anyway.  How dare she spare him the stress.  How dare she, that selfish bitch.

Am I getting the tone right?

Get your knickers out of their twist, Geoff. I don't see anything in my, cuzsis' or david's where we demonize her. Shall we dissect my post sentence by sentence?

Quote from: Black Sword
I don't feel sorry for Dora
This sentence means I don't feel sympathy for the character in this instance. I did not call her a selfish bitch, nor did I particularly go out of my way to declare her a plague upon mankind. In fact, I didn't say anything about Dora, I simply said that I did not feel an emotion where I would want to give her a "break," as Americans put it.

it's actually fairly aggravating that she's getting all of this undeserved support.
Here we get into the emotional part. I find the support and sympathy she's getting by the metric ton to be aggravating, as I do not feel it is deserved. Why I feel it is undeserved, whatever her insecurities?

My ex ruined a perfectly good relationship based on similarly flimsy reasoning and insecurities, and it pissed me off just as much back then that she was reassured and coddled by our social circle while I got the boot.
Here I explain why I feel this support is undeserved. Flimsy reasoning and insecurities do NOT make for adequate excuses. Your trollish (or fanboyish?) response to mine communicates clearly that you consider it sufficient, but do cite however many times Marten became jealous, tested his girlfriend, or otherwise reacted in an extreme manner. Marten was so loyal that he felt awful about the Hanner boob incident, even though it wasn't his fault. Dora felt insecure about Faye. Alright, fine. She felt insecure because Marten previously liked Faye. Ok, fine. ...so what? Marten did not cheat on her, did not do anything with Faye. They went out of their way to make her see nothing was happening or would happen. She let an insecurity define her. Very unhealthy, very inexcusable. If it was such a major issue she did not have the mental strength to overcome (to be honest, I don't think many of our lovable QC crew are very mentally strong, so no slap against Dora), then she should have sought some help long ago.

I may be tough, but kicking me when I'm down provokes me to break you, not "get over it."
This is me exploring how people are treating Marty. Marty responds to tough love much more passive aggressively than I would. I'm not saying he'll explode, but it's not having the desired effect because it's too soon for one, and for another, it takes too much for him to get angry.

What happened in my instance? My social circle split up very messily, one half with me, the other with her. As a writer, I understand that many writers put bits of themselves in their characters, and react very negatively to personal criticism of that character, as they feel it's aimed at them. However, Dora did something that is her own fault. She's an adult and she has not really faced any consequences for her action, which never should have happened in the first place. She's getting coddled, while the break up, her fault, has had more negative consequences on Marten than her. Her role and fault have been trivialized, minimized, swept under the rug.

azurite

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #199 on: 05 Jan 2011, 11:02 »

#1833 might be my favorite QC. All my concerns about the direction strip is taking, assuaged in two panels. I really shoulda known better, but all the same--thank you, Jeph!   :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up