THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Wink Wink 2011 - A bit of a change this year  (Read 662309 times)

likshot

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Wink Wink 2011 - A bit of a change this year
« Reply #150 on: 19 Jan 2011, 07:41 »

This is Prima at his best, during the wild and swinging Fifties, when his was "THE" act to see in Las Vegas.
He's King Louis in the Jungle Book for fucks sake. The character in the Disney film was based on him and he sang the tune.

Cool, cool, cool.

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?18f7ss0l4l3o8p1

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #151 on: 19 Jan 2011, 15:07 »

KYLESA
Dawg, I think track 8 is corrupted. On my PC it's only 1.46 long.

Awesome post btw, have downloaded 90% of it.

That's how long it is on my compy too! I guess that's how I downloaded it, and for some reason never actually noticed. Weird. I've found a proper version and am uploading it currently.

EDIT: here 'tis

http://www.mediafire.com/?qvbzecx7r1vlnfr
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2011, 15:12 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #152 on: 19 Jan 2011, 18:45 »

Still 1:46 for me
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #153 on: 19 Jan 2011, 21:58 »

I just downloaded it myself and it's fine. Should be 3:42. Are you downloading it from the above link, or my original post? I just re-uploaded the single track, not the whole album.

Failing that, you can get it from here: http://stereogum.com/521572/kylesa-forsaken/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #154 on: 19 Jan 2011, 22:39 »

Yeah I've downloaded it from that link twice now. Weird

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #155 on: 19 Jan 2011, 23:17 »

First things first:

Cotton Keys - Archive (?)

Cotton Keys are possibly maybe the best band in my town, which has a nice little homegrown music scene (I guess the closest thing we have to a "breakout" is Candy Claws, who are minor faves of P4k). I work at the local college radio station with their bassist and I've been waiting for them to actually release something for awhile now. Today the guy I know uploaded this to his Facebook. I implore you to check it out, I'm sure it will fit the tastes of many of you more lo-fi indie rock / pop-ish people. I quite enjoy it. The files weren't tagged, so I tagged them myself and bestowed upon them the original name of the .zip as their album title. I also gave it random cover art from their myspace (dude did not put a lot of work into presentation!)

This is their Myspace page.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3wbcnc1gar7a2bd
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #156 on: 19 Jan 2011, 23:30 »

Fixed track
Thanks Dovasaurus. Track is banging and sounds even better at full length.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #157 on: 19 Jan 2011, 23:44 »

And then we're on to Rips! Most (all?) of the rips here, I originally uploaded as digital files. These are straight from the wax, so download them if you prefer the slight variations in sound, or you're new to the releases (natch).

Autechre - Oversteps

Autechre's return to mid-90's form after a long dalliance with hardcore glitch. One of my favorite albums of 2010.
Quote from: Tinymixtapes
Autechre's music is brazenly abstract. I don't use the word "abstract" as a warning, just as an acknowledgment that the unique pleasures offered by albums like Draft 7.30 have an airy and intellectual substance to them. The music behaves according to human tropes: tension and release, obedience and rebellion, the imperfect repetitions of imperfect memories; but it doesn't feel human in any conventional sense. You don't feel the familiar warmth of standard instruments, and you don't feel the comfort of knowing that actual hands and feet are physically producing the sounds you hear. You don't know whether the compositions were charted out in real time or generated automatically by a mysterious piece of software. Sean Booth and Rob Brown have a relationship to technology that is so thoroughly organic that their work can't seem anything less than foreign. Most composers aren't as willing and able to dive so deeply into the soul of computers and produce music that, as metallic and abstract as it is, writhes with vitality.

Autechre's music is brazenly experimental. For at least a few years of their career, "experimental" was best understood as a warning. Starting in the late 90s, but continuing to an even greater degree after the turn of the millennium, Autechre produced tracks that were driven by a restless spirit of improvisation. Their songs would start out sharp and confident, bearing the skeleton of rhythm but lacking the soft flesh of melody, comporting themselves with a clear but distant idea of groove. Then, over the course of several minutes, they would tear themselves to pieces before wandering off into the distance, bewildered with the completeness of inner transformation, stunned in the spirit as if a revolution had just occurred. Autechre's experimentation has been violent, and it was violent for years, contorting sound into shapes that would feel jarring and unwelcome in any other context, including their own early albums. It wasn't until 2008's Quaristice that we saw them back off from those forbidding, 8-minute marathons that deconstructed and reconstructed themselves, learning instead to embrace a manner of improvisation that has remained daring and unique without sounding so ruthless and ascetic.

Sean Booth and Rob Brown have brought melody back. That might be the single most important thing about Oversteps, their newest Autechre album. Its highlights are not, like the explorations on Draft and Untilted, daring pieces of architecture, but pieces whose soft edges and subtle, multilayered melodic contours feel human in a way that may evoke an eerie nostalgia in longtime fans. Their track titles remain stubbornly meaningless, but take note of "known(1)," "d-sho qub," and "st epreo," which all hearken back to the early days of Warp Records, when home-listening electronica was a new idea and the sophisticated compositional edge of acts like Autechre, Polygon Window, and Black Dog was like a little oasis in a world that was preoccupied with overreaching itself and drowning out the past with empty innovations. That isn't to say Autechre's music has suddenly become self-satisfied or backward-looking; their counterpoint may not be as loud and assertive as their beats, but it's every bit as restless and alive, and just as antagonistic toward exact repetitions as high school English teachers are toward plagiarism.

Of course, anything I say about these tracks seeming soft or human might be completely lost on a listener coming to Autechre for the first time. The textures here are soft, but that means a lot more when you are an outfit with something like Gantz Graf lingering in your past. Tracks like "see on see," "O=0," and "redfall" go beatless, letting their overlapping, cascading melodies tell their own complex story of becoming without needing to resort to the blunt trauma of percussion. But peace's flipside is desolation; there are other songs that float by without really living lives of their own, like extras in a film.

Like Quaristice, Oversteps takes its time fading in and out from silence, being bookended by long and uneventful stretches of sound that are as gradual in their development as a sunrise. Autechre have always dealt with a wide scope, from their all-encompassing use of frequencies to their eclectic range of influences to the large-scale formal migrations of their more adventurous compositions. When you combine this love of breadth with an insatiable curiosity for technology, it explains why Booth and Brown always seem to be operating on uncharted territory. This album has its ups and downs, its highlights and dead stretches, but if these guys wanted to sound safe and well-balanced, they should have stopped making albums 15 years ago. Their developments are nothing if not honest, even if the gruff, muffled intimations of hip-hop sound awkward or antagonistic, even if the softness of these pieces evades any conventional sense of emotional directness.

The extroverted and violent streak of Autechre's early last decade is being turned inward. You might not be able to feel the human element in what they are doing, but if you are patient and attentive, it might stop seeming so foreign, a little like your own thought processes, operating freely from the encumbrances posed by the physical world, expressing themselves gradually but vitally, with a little more peace and a little less violence.

01. r ess
02. ilanders
03. known(1)
04. pt2ph8
05. qplay
06. see on see
07. Treale
08. os veix3
09. O=0
10. d-sho qub
11. st epreo
12. redfall
13. krYlon
14. Yuop

http://www.mediafire.com/?lyxqe9cmb64eecj

Floating Points Ensemble - Post Suite / Almost In Profile

Kind of a left-field turn for Mr. Points, who up to this point was the premiere slo-house DJ in the UK. As per the title, he plays with an ensemble of live musicians on this 12" and explores jazzier avenues of music. The result is not unlike Bonobo's Black Sands album from last year (also on Ninja Tune), even if it is a lot looser and less dance-y than that album got.
Quote from: Boomkat
Sam Shepherd's Floating Points Ensemble make their highly anticipated recorded debut with two sumptuous tracks for Ninja Tune. Following his stream of hugely acclaimed releases on R2, Planet Mu, and Eglo (which he co-runs with Alex Nut), and now in command of twelve skilled players, Sam has evolved the Floating Points project to a full-blown group. The ensemble have already claimed the coveted 'Best Maida Vale Session' at Gilles Peterson's 'Worldwide Awards' in 2009, and it's quite clear to see why when listening to these tracks. Between the ecstatic symphonic flush of 'Post Suite' and the luxurious character of 'Almost In Profile' this record serves a good chunk of your annual soul quota in one perfectly formed package.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ay6qawm0881f2lc

Gatekeeper - Giza

This was posted not a week ago (by... TheFuriousWombat, was it?) but I thought I'd put up the vinyl rip in case anybody wants it! Yet more indications that mid-80's industrial / darkwave music is back in style.
Chicago's Gatekeeper follow last year's debut with a brilliant, and far more substantial, EP for Merok (home to releases from Kingdom, Salem, Teengirl Fantasy). If you've not checked their first 12" or awesome Fact mix, you really should sort it out. 'Giza' expands their style over six tracks, blending traces of Italo, Industrial EBM, and early Chicago house with VHS sci-fi soundtrack signatures and arcade game music. They've got a close contemporary ally for this sound in HIT's White Car and to a certain extent Skam's VHS Head, but Gatekeeper's tracks have an innate cinematic narrative that's quite hard to ignore and more like a cybercylic hallucination of the music they adore, than a rehash or cut-up. From the arcade biker themes of 'Chains', to the menacing Hellraiser vibes of 'Storm Column' , the leather-bound thrust of 'Giza' and the digital hallucinations of 'Mirage' this is a feast for any industrial dancefloor aesthetes. Highly recommended!

http://www.mediafire.com/?23eb74ns68knqqg

Dro Carey - Venus Knock EP

Ozn Witch House. It's all there - the southern rap influences, the downtuned "spooky" samples, a stylized Triangle glyph stamped on the white label, etc. etc. Luckily nobody's actually trying to rap here!
**Dangerously heavy, hand-stamped debut 12" from Dro Carey on Will Bankhead's Trilogy Tapes** The first vinyl release on graphic designer extraordinaire, Will Bankhead's trilogy tapes label (home to cassettes from Kassem Mosse and Ben UFO, a.o), it takes the mutant hypnagogic R&B sensuality of Hype Williams and amps it with frightening velocity, foregrounding actively robust beats (sounding all the better for a heavyweight D&M master and lacquer cut) against an unpredictable moiré of psychosynthual blurts and unhinged, intrepid arrangements. Opener 'Get Rid Of This Guy' sounds like Bok Bok in a lucid dream state, his urbane cool replaced with drool on the keyboard, while the severely unstable title cut oscillates somewhere between munted dubstep rave and lysergic noise with uncompromising style and swerve. Turn it and 'Dead Keys' inverts some poor, sweetened soul cut with horrifically dark intent before 'Glitter Variables' tweaks a twitching rut of ruff-synced loops with gloopy bass shapes and ear-weevilin' synths. Records like this make us incredibly satisfied yet aching to hear more. Hugely recommended!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?tq9mi0s8jjhs4em

Lil B - Angel Exodus

Oh you'd better believe it, it's the new (digital-only) album from Lil B. Just went through one listen, but it's a lot more focused and a lot more polished than anything I've heard from him in the past. Based God baby, love him or leave him.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h506fofcg5i47wl

Bird By Snow - Songbread / Another Ocean

Tempted to get this on vinyl... Only just got it but it's sounding pretty great to me. If you like folkier stuff, check it.
Perhaps if all albums were always released with such care and attention devoted to them the recording industry wouldn't be in such a scrape at the moment. Bird By Snow's latest (their third full-length) comes on clear vinyl and CD-R packaged together with a colour lithograph poster-sleeve, a handmade booklet of lyrics and prose, and a second semi-transparent poster of poetry and painting. The music itself is a mixture of folk-inspired songwriting, shambling, rustic multi-instrumental recordings (perhaps comparable on some level with Mount Eerie's spartan recording style), field recordings and tape manipulation, which makes for a slightly confusing if occasionally very rewarding hippy-ish trip - 'My Life Is Easy', for example, proves especially good thanks to its dark, very dramatic lo-fi recordings of cello, piano and spiny electric guitar, all of which conspire to lend the otherwise slightly strange vocal a sense of gravitas. Limited to 550 copies.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y1fy11a9mry9k89
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #158 on: 20 Jan 2011, 00:02 »

George Fitzgerald - Don't You

Scuba pulls remix duties under his techno-oriented moniker on the B, but the A continues Fitzgerald's trajectory into Joy Orbison rave-house-step territory. Exuberant and primed for the dancefloor / your living room.
Quote from: Bleep
Promising London bass teknologist George Fitzgerald lands on Scuba's Hotflush imprint for his debut plate. Maker of sensuous garage/2-step rhythms zoned out by clipped, swirling vox and warm bass tones, Orbison style. What matters is a clear adoration for classic mid 90's vibrations of Todd Terry that he plugs into the bass pleasure centres.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d4k351xll67zz49

Ř (Mika Vainio) - Heijastuva

Top-shelf experimentalism, periodically featuring the high-frequency whine of electric feedback but mostly composed of heart-touching ambience. I'd put him up there with Keith Fullerton Whitman or Autechre, with all the eventual reward (and frustration) that entails.

http://www.mediafire.com/?04bxfn44bar614t

Codes in the Clouds - As the Spirit Wanes

Hey do you guys remember Explosions in the Sky? These guys sure do. Sonically they don't do much to distinguish themselves from the massive homogeneous blob of cleanly recorded, regal guitars and bombastic drums that is post-rock, but it's not offensive and certainly not unpleasant to listen to.
Strong but tender instrumental Post Rock from Dartford, Kent-based quintet Codes In The Clouds. Their third album for Erased Tapes is just as expansive as the first two, confidently melodic and brimming with cinematic positivity.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xk779ej81reywqo

Phaeleh - Falling (Kulture Mix)

Kind of like a bridge between the modern-day DnB of Autonomic or NonPlus and the bro-averse roots of dubstep. The cover art's pretty gaudy but the music is actually pretty catchy.
Phaeleh steps up to Skreams' Disfigured Dubz with the atmospheric roller 'Falling' b/w a junglist rework from Kulture. Like his celebrated drops for Wheel & Deal and Afterglo, Phaeleh's signature feel for rave-yearning, tranced-out melodic arrangements and cleanly produced dubstep rhythms are fully intact. However, the Kulture remix takes that diva vocal where it really needs to go, arming her with an undercarriage of heavy junglist rollidge. Full colour picture sleeve.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5ih4rujvxqqjkf8
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

flaschenpfand

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #159 on: 20 Jan 2011, 10:42 »

first try - think i have to give you something back...

john roberts - glass eights, dial records, 2010

techno, deep, soulfull

http://www.M/F.com/?2368jikz3qusr27
hope it works..

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #160 on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:32 »

Jasper TX - A Voice from Dead Radio

Under The Spire drop their conventional arigato pak, raw cardboard presentation for this Jasper TX double-disc, instead opting for full artwork - a move that only emphasises that this is a release worth drawing extra attention to. A Voice From Dead Radio devotes one disc to Jasper TX originals and a second to remixes contributed by an enviable list of artists that includes Peter Broderick, Xela, Zelienople, Steinbruchel Aaron Martin and Simon Scott. The first CD collects rare and long out-of-print 3"CD-R tracks that originally circulated during 2007 via minuscule editions named Harrisburg, D+A EP and Pilgrims (the former two were pressed up as a run of 75 copies while the latter was distributed in a relatively generous supply of 100). When sequenced together these nine tracks make for a solid, hour-long album, and since so few people were able to get hold of the material first time around, this would justify the reissue treatment all by itself.

Pair with this a new disc of remixes from the great and the good of drone and ambient music and you've got something very special indeed: Pillowdiver opens the album with a take on 'Harrisburg Pt. 1', whose static waves are stretched out into a more serene, steely format, while it's companion piece 'Harrisburg Pt. 2' is handled very differently by Zelienople. The Chicago group install a more organic presence on the record, seemingly leaving computer-generated sounds out of the equation and instead favouring a tense, febrile cover of the track dominated by live percussion, effects-treated guitars and brooding background tones. Xela's remix of 'A' comes as something of a surprise. After one or two minutes of fluctuating lo-fi textures you start to hear a 4/4 beat emerging, eventually blooming into a submerged propulsive device that brings to mind a scuzzed-up, cassette-recorded Wolfgang Voigt production. Many of the artists here choose to marry their own voices with the source material - never more literally than in the case of Peter Broderick, who introduces both acoustic guitar and fragmented vocals to 'A Beacon To Lead Us There'. Meanwhile Aaron Martin adopts a similar policy, applying his cello and wordless singing to 'Our Way Through The Field' and Jefre Cantu-Ledesma makes a strong contribution with his noisy, rumbling ambience on 'D'. Further standouts arrive from the reliably excellent Steinbruchel (whose 'Through Dusk... And Falling Leaves remix is typically pristine and beautifully realised) and Seaworthy, whose quarter-hour 'A Voice From Dead Radio' includes excerpts from every track on the album, condensing the spirit of the original material into a single wonderful tract. Limited to just 300 copies.

Disc 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?o2zgtwwkr2n
Disc 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?mtmygg31czq
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

theoryC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #161 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:28 »

first try - think i have to give you something back...

john roberts - glass eights, dial records, 2010

techno, deep, soulfull

http://www.M/F.com/?2368jikz3qusr27
hope it works..
Good first post.  Include some art next time though. :)

flaschenpfand

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #162 on: 21 Jan 2011, 14:07 »

Rhythm & Sound - Rhythm & Sound, 2001

http://www.M/F.com/?c40ou6w26zmd6fo
it´s dub! it´s techno! classic material
compiles tracks of several Rhythm & Sound 12"

try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgV2OXldFiA

flaschenpfand

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #163 on: 21 Jan 2011, 15:12 »

Various - Blech II: Blechsdöttir, Warp, 1996

http://www.M/F.com/?nw3bh928zy32m6u
the quintessential guide to Warp in the 1990s. mixed by the guys from Ninja Tunes.

flaschenpfand

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #164 on: 21 Jan 2011, 17:24 »

Pole - 1, Kiff SM, 1998

http://www.M/F.com/?y03x97vymhyov6b
clicks, white noise and dub

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #165 on: 21 Jan 2011, 21:18 »

just make one post with multiple albums please. it's less cluttering.

Hollow Press (my blog)

flaschenpfand

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #166 on: 22 Jan 2011, 06:37 »

DJ Sprinkles - Midtown 120 Blues, Mule, 2009

http://www.M/F.com/?092a2ds1rex6s1hHousemusic from Terre Thaemlitz

---

Console - Mono, Disko B, 2006

http://www.M/F.com/?wkk6dm35qf63wo5warm electro/ambient from Martin Gretschmann (The Notwist)

---

DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid - Rhythm Science: Excerpts And Allegories From The Sub Rosa Archives, Sub Rosa, 2004

http://www.M/F.com/?g4k1d27fcvbq7zmambient collage, mixed by dj spooky, came with his book "rhythm science"

---

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92, Apollo, 1992

http://www.M/F.com/?9s0q6q7q5707j34classic electronic music

---

Forss - Soulhack, Sonar Kollektiv, 2003

http://www.M/F.com/?rw6ramwt5hu8p9vdrums, samples, cut&paste, next step in sample music after dj shadow

---

enjoy!
hope everything works..

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #167 on: 22 Jan 2011, 09:01 »

I've seen some Anjunabeats on here before, so here's something - it's the 10 year anniversary compilation album. :

10 Years of Anjunabeats (Mixed by Above & Beyond)

http://www.mediafire.com/?85frfl4d9ngp99s

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #168 on: 22 Jan 2011, 09:08 »

Ah nice one mate, just got that myself.  Anjunadeep:03 soon too (I'm a total Deep whore, got every single release from that label).  Good year for anjunatunes already :)

http://www.M/F.com/?46d7ov5ej3j7ku2
(2010; V0 I think)

review

edit: and a random 'bonus' odd A1.1 track 'cos I just remembered how awesome it is;

http://www.mediafire.com/?f2x1sfekp4khsa9
(By My Own Admission - C-Drone-Defect remix)
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2011, 09:16 by amok »

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #169 on: 22 Jan 2011, 22:40 »

Charles Ives - String Quartets performed by the Blair String Quartet

http://www.mediafire.com/?dni2pvh70gfogbg

Ives’s two string quartets are as unalike in origin as they are in content. The First Quartet uses his beloved revival and gospel hymns as musical sources, and its energy and originality provide an early example of Ives’s highly original creative powers. The highly complex Second String Quartet was born of a typical Ives rage against what he perceived as the effeminacy of standard string quartet performances. Ives himself summarised the work’s programme as: ‘four men – who converse, discuss, argue ... fight, shake hands, shut up – then walk up the mountainside to view the firmament’.
from Naxos.com

My composer friend mentioned to me that while he was alive Ives never would have thought anyone would have cared about his music the way that they do now. A Yalie, the guy was far more famous as an insurance company executive than he ever was as a composer. A cool quotation, "Use your ears like men."

Half of this is music that you'd find as background music in a proper haberdashery and half is what you'd hear as you were drowning in the Arctic Ocean.

Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #170 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:31 »

dudes charles ives is motherfucking groovy.

DID YOU KNOW!

charles ives is so groovy and bad that the dude straight up "discovered atonality" (quotations because i dont necessarily believe that music can ever be truly atonal, but thats completely aside from the point and is another discussion entirely) before schoenberg ever did, but he was too busy making mad stacks selling people insurance they didn't need to worry about making a name for himself because charles ives was better than you.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #171 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:58 »

The mental image of a hyper-masculine string quartet is one I will cherish dearly for a long time to come.

ptownblazer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #172 on: 23 Jan 2011, 12:44 »

Sonic Youth – Simon Werner a Disparu (2011)  OST

http://www.M/F.com/?4bevs2rsdyyqjny

Akron/Family - S/T II The Comic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT

http://www.M/F.com/?y9srvbfepf4n88h
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2011, 14:48 by ptownblazer »

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #173 on: 23 Jan 2011, 13:39 »

A Hawk And A Hacksaw – Cervantine

http://www.mediafire.com/?21btkdii76fy7mzDrummer from Neutral Milk Hotel forms mostly instrumental band with Eastern European (Balkan, Turkish, etc) influences. 
MySpace
"Godbless the Ottoman Empire" (youtube)

Telekinesis – 12 Desperate Straight Lines

http://www.mediafire.com/?9nkq3xxthyzivquMySpace
"Coast of Carolina" (youtube)

Leopold Skin – I See Mountains

http://www.mediafire.com/?7nqltm7fpd0zmpiMySpace
"Song to a Bird" (youtube)
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

nippletwister

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #174 on: 23 Jan 2011, 22:09 »

Akron/Family - S/T II The Comic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT

http://www.M/F.com/?y9srvbfepf4n88h
Sweeeeeeeet.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #175 on: 24 Jan 2011, 02:46 »

In like 12 hours: Another metric tonne of music.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

The Rube

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #176 on: 24 Jan 2011, 04:49 »

Here are a couple of recent discs featuring Tuvan throat-singing.  For those who are unfamiliar, throat singing is a style of overtone singing, practiced by Mongolians, Tuvans and Tibetans (if you ever heard one of those super-deep Tibetan prayer chants, that's one kind).  People who sing in this style produce high and low (and sometimes mid) pitches simultaneously.  It's a very guttural sound, and ranges from a high whistle to a sub-sonic growl. 

The flagship group for Tuvan folksong is Huun-Huur-Tu, and they've just released a disc called Ancestor's Call.  They've made relatively few recordings in the past decade, and this is their first straight-up studio recording of traditional songs since 1999.  It's a re-recording of their most well known songs by the current line up, and it's probably the best single album in their catalogue.  You couldn't ask for a better introduction to this style of music.

http://www.M/F.com/?cbxdw329183yp2e

Yat Kha- Poets and Lighthouses 

http://www.M/F.com/?xsdkvkdve27cl83
If you've not heard of Yat Kha before-  they're led by Albert Kuvezin, a specialist in the low-bass Kargyraa throat singing style.  He was a founding member of Huun-Huur-Tu, but felt constrained by tradition- and so formed his own band, mixing Tuvan folk music with an often avant garde take on rock 'n' roll.  You can get a pretty good sample of them on the youtubes:  This album represents quite a change for the group, with the usual back up band gone and replaced by English folk musicians, and the lyrics largely being translations of Japanese poetry-  it's quite a multicultural blend.  Still, if you liked the band before, there's plenty for you here, Kuvezin is still clearly in charge of the music's vision.  plus there's an improvised Kargyraa/Bagpipe duet that is one of the best bits of music I've heard in the young year. 

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #177 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:13 »

cool, thanks for this!

Hollow Press (my blog)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #178 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:01 »

Here are a couple of recent discs featuring Tuvan throat-singing.  For those who are unfamiliar, throat singing is a style of overtone singing, practiced by Mongolians, Tuvans and Tibetans (if you ever heard one of those super-deep Tibetan prayer chants, that's one kind).  People who sing in this style produce high and low (and sometimes mid) pitches simultaneously.  It's a very guttural sound, and ranges from a high whistle to a sub-sonic growl. 

Since I got into Hanggai, I've been trying to find more throat singing. Thanks!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #179 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:39 »

IIRC I think Hanggai might use a different type of throat singing. There are several styles, apparently.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #180 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:34 »

Forss - Soulhack, Sonar Kollektiv, 2003

This is fucking ILL, thanks!

I've grabbed a fair amount of stuff from the past few weeks of this thread, time to contribute again!

DJ Cash Money Presents Head Bangin' Funk 45's

This is exactly what it sounds like.  DJ Cash Money is a legend.  Head bangin' funk 45's are what he is spinning in this compilation.  It is fucking tight.  No more needs be said.

http://www.M/F.com/?2ukhberlcpq52hv
Pulshar - Inside

As far as genre goes, this is probably best filed under "downtempo electronic music," but that's just because "fucking sweet" isn't a genre.  This album is a masterpiece of thick, deep, groove.  Personally I tend towards the dub side of things, so this is the sample track that would grab me first, but this is another example of how fucking sick this album is.  Get it.

http://www.M/F.com/?cyewsjiey5dwh50
MF didn't accept the third thing I wanted to put up, so sad face on that.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 14:10 by onewheelwizzard »
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

barista.babe

• Emoticontraindication
  • Patron Saint of Vaginal Itch
    • not that hard to follow me.
« Reply #181 on: 24 Jan 2011, 13:39 »

Just kidding, I'm not dead!

So, 2 very different things happening right now. The first was found in an email from 2 years ago. I told myself to download it and never got around to it. Middle of the Road was  a band from the 70s. Sounds like  ABBA, but totally isn't. The video for Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep is enough to make me want to get a job at Urban Outfitters.

http://www.M/F.com/?t786srzj4dy54yf
The second has become the soundtrack to 2011, Mindy Gledhill's debut album Anchor. Fall in love already.

http://www.M/F.com/?nrij39rgcdx9mv4
The Internet got me pregnant.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #182 on: 24 Jan 2011, 13:59 »

IIRC I think Hanggai might use a different type of throat singing. There are several styles, apparently.

Maybe. The description given makes it sound pretty similar though.

edit: No, this was exactly what I wanted to hear. Awesome!
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 10:38 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #183 on: 24 Jan 2011, 14:18 »

Diggggtal

dBridge / Instra:Mental - From the Start / Detuned Heart

dBridge and Instra:Mental continue their slow trickle of official tracks previously heard in edited form on their Fabriclive 50 mix, "From the Start" being the third such single in the series (after Riya's opening "Feels Like" and Distance's "Sky Alight") and the second song in the masterful beginning 8 minutes of the mix. It's what you've come to expect from dBridge, all blue-toned pads and tight, slo-mo DnB drum programming, but it's the interplay between the bass and the chord progression that really sets this as perhaps the best thing dBridge has ever done. For whatever reason I was reminded of the Phonogram, a comic about magical music (it's better than that sounds) and a particular storyline in which a clubgoer is so enraptured by a song that she literally becomes an embodiment of the joy of dancing. I imagined that this was the song she was dancing to. Is that overwrought? Yeah, probably. But it's that good of a song. The B finds Instra:Mental continuing their curious expedition into IDM territories, complete with a lead synth straight out of the Skam / early Warp playbook. Amazing single.
Instra:mental and dBridge share a beautiful fourth installment on Autonomic.. In sci-fi romantic, Bladerunner-mode, 'From The Start' is built from swooning synth chords and tenderly lightweight drums, cross-pollinating Detroit elegance with limb-synced London knowledge. dBridge articulates this vibe with the arrestingly Autechre-like 'Detuned Heart', one of those sublimely weepy dancefloor moments that's become their stock in trade.

http://www.M/F.com/?zdjctj7eek8rgez

Silent Servant - Violencia

I just recently started getting into the more industrial corners of techno (the better to have a platform from which to survey the rest of the sprawling genre) and Sandwell District looks to be my label of choice. Dark, punchy, deep techno full of rough textures and stabbing, hollow bass. Love it.
Sandwell district continue to rule our techno box with an iron fist on this sick platter from Silent Servant, backed with killer remixes from Kalon and Function. The original version of Silent Servant's 'Violencia' is another of his brittle rhythm specials, with undulating bass twists anchoring industrialised dub techno chords, but it's the Kalon remix that has just struck us down with one of the heaviest dub techno variants we've heard in ages. Stepping aside from the brutally stripped minimalism of their awesome 'Born-against' EP to produce a similarly dedicated club wounder, but adding thick and amorphous layers of dub tech science that simply places them in the upper echelons of the game. Function's remix is no less brilliant too, offering a utilitarian stomper at a slightly reduced tempo with tonnes of potential. Totally f**king killer.

http://www.M/F.com/?gd6gzzk75mlkkzx

Pixelord - Fish Touch

Extra-fidgety, bleeping, off-kilter bass music of the sort you're probably familiar with by now if you've any interest in recent electronic music. A particularly deft example of the form, with some heavyweight remixes in tow. KidKanevil's warped take on Rick Ross is pretty funny.
Err, when did Gultskra Artikler start making electronic HipHop?! Well, last year by the looks of it, but it totally flew under my radar. Anyway, 'Fish Touch' is really good, flowing from dubbed-out wonk on the title track to the nastier bass growls and forced neck-snap of 'Kiss Your TV', through to Dubstep/Skweee like jest on 'Cybernator' and 'Flower Cannon'. On the remixes, heRobust ives 'Fish Touch' a holographic remake while Om Unit gives 'Cybernator' a Juan Atkins-alike overhaul and KidKanevil reviews 'Fish Touch' from a more staggered crunk angle.

http://www.M/F.com/?uzty4zf17vxlnb2

Ghost Mutt - Sasquatch (Slugabed Remix)

Ghost Mutt and Slugabed team up for more blown-out Skweee antics, this time on Lowriders Recordings. Unlike the Donky Stomp EP, this is pretty much a Ghost Mutt show with Slugabed providing a remix, but it's still pretty worth it, I'd say. There's also a Coco Bryce mix that sounds like the bass was set to Creaky Wooden Boards mode.
Squelchy, manic and rather unhinged psyk-hop from Ghost Mutt, prepared with a Slugabed remix on the flip. The two original tracks are two sarnies short of a mentallists picnic, losing any semblance of conventional melodic arrangement and only just held together with the crookedest head nodders beats... but definitely having fun doing it! Slugabed joins in the madness on the flipside, reorganising the chaos with his heavy dynamics to make it breathe like an asthmatic robot on crack.

http://www.M/F.com/?l18f87141c5fya3

Jozif - Sunrise EP

Choice disco-house, more analog than digital, in keeping with the InFine aesthetic. Background music for a high-class party.
Quote from: Bleep
Elegant deep house, disco mechanics from Jozif on excellent Parisian label InFine. Four tracks that are surely designed to soundtrack long summer nights on Ibizan terraces, cutting through the warm air perfectly. With previous for Wolf + Lamb you get the idea where it's heading.

http://www.M/F.com/?f8ejt6pyyftgfmz

Follakzoid - Föllakzoid EP

Unerringly faithful krautrock revivalism. If that's for you, you already know it.
Alternately motorik and mellow psych grooves from another Chilean band on Sacred Bones. Föllakzoid is the other group of The Holydrug Couple's Ives, pushing away from that groups psychedelic rock jams into more intensely focused and ritualistic rock grooves. 'IV, III, II, I' is essentially like a killer Neu or Can tribute with wickedly spaced-out guitar noise, while 'Arabic Hash' blooms from swirling, FX laden guitars and synths to be reborn as a streamlined instrumental psych trip.

http://www.M/F.com/?41ci3tp6cy8hcz9

Duffstep - Backseat / Your Touch (Duff Disco Remixes)

After a whalloping, Joy Orbison-esque single under the Duffstep moniker, here are two tracks on the other end of the spectrum - languid, heady disco-house. Really impeccably produced - you wouldn't guess this was the sideline of a major ravestep-y talent, though there are telltale hints, especially on the B. If you don't know how to dance to dubstep, well, you'll know how to dance to this.
Jeremy Duffy reworks two of his Duffstep tracks as solid 100bpm Duff Disco chuggers ahead of his 'Return To Saigon' debut LP. The drag-disco of 'Backseat' builds with an expert dancefloor touch akin to the like-minded Cottam productions, while 'Your Touch' wraps warm, fluid chords around a hulking electro bassline to brilliant effect. A must check for fans of Kassem Mosse's slow stuff, Mark E, or Toby Tobias.

http://www.M/F.com/?f0i5lzo2s1nqrbh

Bloodman - Remote Viewing / Deep Fish

I don't usually trust Deca Rhythm, but these are some full-throttle acid-electro dancefloor cuts. Yet more evidence that I will buy anything referenced to as "IDM" in some way. Groovy stuff, reminiscent of Brackles, Cosmic Revenge, et al. The B is especially good.
Two electro-driven and breaksy sounding Dubstep variants from Bristol's Bloodman. As a close associate of Appleblim and Gatekeeper he shares some of their taste for darker IDM-inspired melodies, while striking his own style of electroid rollidge with 'Remote Viewing', and augmented breakstep in 'Deep Fish'. One for followers of Applepips, Elemental or the techier Bristol heads.

http://www.M/F.com/?8ueuckg6bsn0bct

nsi. - Sync

A whole lot of exercises in techno minimalism - not remotely dancefloor oriented, though. Like a less fundamental take on Mark Fell, or a less glitchy Quaristice-era Autechre. Meaning, these are pretty academic headphone songs. For people who really love analog synthesis.
Typically reserved yet engrossing album of 24 pieces for drum machine and sequencer from Max Loderbauer and Tobias Freund's acclaimed nsi. project. 'Sync' is their first full length since 2007s suite of piano and synth exercises '...Plays Non Standards', and is more concerned with rhythmically driven arrangements ranging from dry, unadorned beat tracks to hugely endearing, intuitively melodic electronica. The tracks are delineated by the devices used in their creation, with symbolic codes denoting each instrument, pretty much as follows: a Doepfer modular system (+), and EML 400/401 synth (#), an Eventide Time Factor delay pedal (*), a Korg Mini Pops 7 (=), a Korg MS 20 (•), a Makenoise Maths module (<), an MFB Dual LFO module (ř) and a Roland CR 78 drum machine (>). The tracks feel like highly polished improvisations/ They rarely last longer than three minutes and showcase a diverse mastery of their setup, loosening the drum machine's rigid personality with dextrous manipulations and really toying with its full spectrum of timbres in a collection of unique patterns and rhythmelodic syncopations.

http://www.M/F.com/?vbx36ig3fj8cq4w

Cex - Megamuse EP

I tend to hold my nose whenever I dive into Tigerbeat6 stuff because, well, you never know, but this surprised me. Bombastic IDM in the latter-day Skam mold (think VHS Head, Nuearz, etc.) with a bevy of remixes exploring Slugabed-style maximalist Squee (Baconhead), glitchier IDM melodicism (Fulgeance), and nu-rave electro (Raoul Sinier). Something for everybody here.
Cex commendably sticks to his metallic-finished, obtuse IDM style on 'Megamuse', backed with diverse remixes from Baconhead, Fulgeance, Scrubber Fox, Raoul Sinier and KingBastard. After more than 10 years making this stuf, Ryan Kidwell aka Cex probably can't tell the difference between his music and tinnitus, with is intended as a compliment considering his trademark taste for caustic, glistening hi-end timbres. Both the title track and the more melancholy downbeat 'Princent Vice' are defined by those unremittingly sharp tones, kinda like a cat-scratching wake-up call in that alert, visceral sense. The remixes range from wonky hiphop courtesy of hotly tipped Baconhead and a moodier Fulgeance, while Scrubber Fox pulls off a Meat Beat Manifesto-esque beat cut-up and Raoul Sinier remakes '12 Exalt' with strange tunings.

http://www.M/F.com/?md8g273wrsjqohv

Com Truise - Cyanide Sisters EP

Yeah, I know, spoonerism. Dro Carey was bad enough. But if you like 80's styled machine-tooled R&B classicism (sometimes known as "Chillwave"), you can't do much better than this EP. I was really surprised by how much I liked this. Contains a few glitch elements, for good measure. Like a more restrained, more lo-fi Letherette.
Originally released on AMDISCS, Com Truise's debut release, the 'Cyanide Sisters EP' was just so good Ghostly International had to give it a reissue. The blend of "mid-fi synth-wave" and "slow motion funk" is Com's signature appeal, cross pollinating fragments of classic wave-pop learned from Joy Divison/New Order, Cocteau Twins etc with a palette of crisp IDM/HipHop drums and smeared ambient sounds worked to a melodic '80s machine funk agenda. The result is one lush listen for fans of Tropics, BoC or Gold Panda.

http://www.M/F.com/?y9abalw9whtywol
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 22:41 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #184 on: 24 Jan 2011, 22:33 »

This is me apologizing for posting in this thread only to have an alert when someone posts in it.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #185 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:32 »

Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Seeping Through the Veil of the Unconscious

I guess this is pretty Grouper-esque but there are far fewer folk influences here. In general it fits in a space between the beatless abstract synth music of Keith Fullerton Whitman and the hypnagogic girl-pop of Nite Jewel. Boomkat tends to overemphasize things and while they make "Telepathy" out to be a great song, there seems to be a tape / synth hiss that lasts through most of the song that will rub some people the wrong way.
*Initial copies come on ultra-limited green vinyl. Beautiful layered vocals and electronics - a must for fans of Grouper.* Sublime temporal intervention of fragile drone pop from Motion Sickness Of Time Travel, the solo alias of Hooker Vision co-curator, Rachel Evans. Between graduating from college and starting grad school last year she committed these five tracks onto a cassette for Digitalis which has since been remastered onto emerald green vinyl by Brad Rose, who hailed the album as "the best demo I've ever received" - and it's really easy to believe him. 'Seeping Through The Veil of the Unconscious' finds Evans' individual sound suspended like a time-lapsed image of Grouper's angelic reveries or a more minimal, gaseous take on the sound made by Stellar Om Source. This is the sort of music you inhale with your ears, catching its subtly harmonised notes in your pleasure centres like some tingling rare space gas. Gazing out into the twinkling slow synth haemorrhage 'Clairvoyance', wordless vocals drift by like space dust on an endless cosmic voyage, while 'Mental Projection' is laced with the same kind of after-hours substance that informed the finest post-Detroit UK electronica. However, the album's guiding star has to be the radiant 'Telepathy', a heart-stopping late night lullaby of half-heard vocal fragrances redolent of Altar Eagle albeit within a darkly rhythmic and strange 3D sound sphere. The detailed crevices and dense pop essence of this album takes everything she's done before to incredible new heights, hence our highest recommendation for lovers of midnight electronic romance.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nuptr73dzbt6ix9

Whistla - Pillowtalk

An extended remix EP from the L2S boss. Future Garage.
Future Garage ringleader drops the soul-infused 2-step of 'Pillowtalk' backed with solid refits by VVV, Submerse, Duncan Powell, KMA and the rest. Skip to the Duncan Powell mix for razor cut 2-step twitch rhythms or go to Submerse for the ruffed-up techy sound or KMA for a deadly junglist swivel. Texan producer VVV gives a bubblin' and bobblin' version with hints of Zomby's killer rhythm programming and Para gives a useful, scene-setting mix on the brink of Garage and 'Ardcore.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bve3kfk0vx63ccs
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #186 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:35 »

I was lucky enough to snag a copy of that Motion Sickness of Time Travel album when it came out on cassette earlier last year and it's one of my most listened to purchases of the past several months. Really wonderful stuff and it sounds even better on vinyl! Probably almost impossible to buy either version at this point but people should buy other stuff by her, her recent stuff especially has all been great.

Hollow Press (my blog)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #187 on: 25 Jan 2011, 18:14 »

Low Threat Profile

http://www.M/F.com/?nodybgipqoyd7iuRad old man hardcore supergroup. Download this if you like OFF! or The United Nations.

Here's a picture of the vocalist

If that doesn't convince you I don't know what will.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 19:31 by JD »

Mein Tumblr

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #188 on: 25 Jan 2011, 19:26 »

Fergus and Geronimo - Unlearn

http://www.M/F.com/?ie1m3p0kp5tczlwMySpace
"Powerful Loving" (youtube)

The Boxer Rebellion - The Cold Still

http://www.mediafire.com/?g6xf6yrsn3e8w2qMySpace

The Dears - Degeneration Street

http://www.mediafire.com/?2bxclhn0lcbdz8zMySpace

« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 20:08 by gospel »
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #189 on: 25 Jan 2011, 22:14 »

I was lucky enough to snag a copy of that Motion Sickness of Time Travel album when it came out on cassette earlier last year and it's one of my most listened to purchases of the past several months. Really wonderful stuff and it sounds even better on vinyl! Probably almost impossible to buy either version at this point but people should buy other stuff by her, her recent stuff especially has all been great.
Hopefully not! I ordered one of the green vinyl copies, which should only number in the low hundreds, if that. Hopefully they're aiming for a wider release of normal vinyl sometime soon.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

adoom

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #190 on: 26 Jan 2011, 05:30 »

Some sounds from my shores.

Adebisi Shank - This Is The Second Album By A Band Called Adebisi Shank

http://www.mediafire.com/?9114w1vsmm61w23
Very strange, very brilliant instrumental punk rock.

Overhead The Albatross - Lads With Sticks

http://overheadthealbatross.bandcamp.com/

Free to download E.P. from these dudes. Not M/F but hopefully you all enjoy bandcamp just as much. Major key, post-rocky stuff, not entirely my bag, but they have a song called 'Liam Neeson', and I like Liam Neeson.

Apologies for the lack of album covers. The Adebisi Shank one is worth looking up because upon it there is an image of a Zebra.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #191 on: 26 Jan 2011, 06:21 »

Hopefully not! I ordered one of the green vinyl copies, which should only number in the low hundreds, if that. Hopefully they're aiming for a wider release of normal vinyl sometime soon.

Well knowing Digitalis there's 500 or less total almost guaranteed. Brad's not big on publishing quantities unless it's a super low number but it's long sold out from the source and sold out from Boomkat, Discriminate, and Mimoraglu to name just a couple. It's around some places still but I'm positive available copies are few and far between at this point.

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #192 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:47 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?z3j2mt29fftou5m

dustnation

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • Filmigrana
« Reply #193 on: 26 Jan 2011, 12:42 »

Hercules And Love Affair - Blue Songs (2011)

Great new CD from a great band.
http://www.M/F.com/?cy9iwi51ef9riw5
What goes on here in your mind
I think that I am upside down.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #194 on: 26 Jan 2011, 15:29 »

Can I interest anyone in some Archers of Loaf. I'm too lazy to up anything that no one will download.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #196 on: 26 Jan 2011, 15:49 »

Message received. I'll put up every album plus the GOAT ep sometime tomorrow.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #197 on: 26 Jan 2011, 16:16 »

Loaftacular

Mein Tumblr

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #198 on: 26 Jan 2011, 17:19 »

Rules:

The first rule of this thread is you do not mention MF.  I am doing this because we are currently the first hit for the full version of "MF thread" on Google, so y'know, that's bad n' shit.

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to MF, in multiple parts if the album is over 200mb. The reason for this is that we know MF is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #199 on: 26 Jan 2011, 17:36 »

Here, give or take a few alterations, are ten of my favorite albums from last year. Maybe my top 10, maybe not quite, but close enough.

10. The North Sea - Bloodline
pitch black, noisy as hell synthesizer mayhem
http://www.mediafire.com/?gice3zmy1kd
9. ALTAR EAGLE - Mechanical Gardens
best electro-pop album of the year, totally blissed out and exuberant
http://www.mediafire.com/?rpomab7u253xi8l
8. En - The Absent Coast
gorgeous, lush, immersive dronescapes featuring a heavily processed bowed koto among other things
http://www.mediafire.com/?s3v8vsgojph7y1s
7. Erik K Skodvin - Flare
dark minimalism, an amazing combination of organic sounds (creaking pianos, whispering guitars, radio static) and electronic effects
http://www.mediafire.com/?wyc42vbo0k34xzx
6. Xela - The Sublime
The soundtrack to excavating ancient crypts and cathedrals long buried and unseen for a thousand years. An enveloping, graceful, and gorgeously hauting pair of synthesizer masterpieces from one of the genre's finest
http://www.mediafire.com/?5y83rl6w5i56j9a
5. Grasslung - Sincere Void
A fantastic drone album that strikes a perfect balance between a pure soundscape and something more organic and tangible. Nostalgic, mournful, each track is a mini-masterpiece; taken as a whole they form a spectacular, cohesive package.
http://www.mediafire.com/?v5a06dfortsizry
4. Yellow Swans - Going Places
A searing kosmiche masterpiece, propulsive, haunting, unhinged yet far more constrained and considered than much of their ultra-abrasive earlier work.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mqjgjz5mzzr
3. Eluvium - Static Nocturne
A sublimely beautiful 50-minute long drone homage to static and white noise both musical and in the natural world. Organs and pianos appear from grainy static fragments, field recordings blear almost to the point and often beyond of recognition, white noise washes - at time thunderously at others with the utmost serenity - over the listener.
http://www.mediafire.com/?3t187y4m1fhb5n3
2. Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Love is a Stream
gorgeous, elating music, a torrent of immense, blissful noise, textures blown out with dreamy haze, shimmering walls of sound with buried harmonies humming beneath. It's often summery and hopeful but also incredibly loud and dense, chaotic and harsh, in some ways akin to both My Bloody Valentine and Tim Hecker's "Harmony in Ultraviolet" (fans of both will be very happy with what they hear in any case) but more abstracted, a stunning sort of synthesis of the two which manages to make these references while maintaining a distinctly original sound.
http://www.mediafire.com/?53u9bw1ioza3hi6
1. Daniel Bjarnason - Processions
without a doubt one of the finest entries in the modern classical genre in some time. Although not dissimilar to his contemporaries - names like Max Richter, Olafur Arnalds, and Johann Johannsson come to mind - Bjarnason eschews the glitchy electronics and computerized flourishes of the latter two and pursues grander, more ambitious compositions than all three. Jarring, intense, unapologetically epic, there's nonetheless a remarkable sense of restraint even while Bjarnason takes us to the very edge of the precipice.
http://www.mediafire.com/?gn4n2w02i5m

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up