THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Wink Wink 2011 - A bit of a change this year  (Read 662277 times)

Algernon

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • dangerously bipedal
Re: Wink Wink 2011 - A bit of a change this year
« Reply #1050 on: 11 Oct 2011, 12:26 »

Real Estate - Days (2011)

Code: [Select]
http://www.M/F.com/?2hekb14o6iil4ao
Out of Tune

Pretty sure this is just a webrip from the NPR First Listen, but it's still decent sound quality and well worth a listen.  Not a big departure from their previous stuff, maybe some tighter songwriting.  I'm enjoying it.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 10:50 by Algernon »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1051 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:58 »

This is the album that's getting me through a really boring Wednesday in the office.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

5bow

« Reply #1052 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:23 »

Bonnie Prince Billy - Wolfroy Goes to Town 320 kbps

Pitchfork review
Perhaps the most conventional story Will Oldham has to tell is his own. As a teenager in the late 1980s, he moved from his hometown of Louisville to Hollywood, where he struggled as an actor before eventually landing a small role in John Sayles' Matewan and a larger role in a TV movie about Jessica McClure. Oldham soon defected to music, writing songs first under the Palace set of monikers and later as Bonnie "Prince" Billy. Twenty years later, while he still takes the occasional role, Sayles and McClure represent the poles of his subjects: His songs, often in a skewed country or folk tradition, are full of darkly American oddities and characters trapped down in their own metaphorical wells.

Oldham's film career continues to inform his music, as he writes songs as soliloquies and inhabits them the way an actor might perform a dramatic role, transforming dialog and stage direction into something flesh-and-blood, memorable, and moving. He writes in isolation and hires a small cast of backing musicians to help him bring these one-act songs to life. For his latest Bonnie "Prince" Billy album, Wolfroy Goes to Town, he's chosen a cast of regulars, including guitarist Emmett Kelly. Most of the Wolfroy troupe, like composer/multi-instrumentalist Shahzad Ismaily and Chicago-based singer-songwriter Angel Olsen, have toured with him for a while now, and backed him on many of his most recent records. Together, they give these new songs a soft, casual vibe, and the minimal instrumentation-- mostly acoustic guitars and bass-- evokes a dark, bare stage.

Oldham places the hardiest emphasis on vocals-- not just his own, but those of his players. His female duet partners have tended to act as his opposites, the coo of their voices offsetting his weathered creak. But on Wolfroy, Olsen sounds just as odd and ragged as he does. There may be no spark of contrast between them, but there's a spark nonetheless, and she's one of the most grounded female characters on any Bonnie "Prince" Billy record. The rest of the band's harmonies are rough and pointedly unrehearsed, barely holding together on "Black Captain" and "Quail and Dumplings". Rustic, however, does not mean primitive. "Cows" ends with a sophisticated vocal roundelay that has more in common with British folk than with its American counterpart. It's a lovely moment-- a spare, hushed, and unexpected coda.

Oldham's music is deeply attuned to the past and to the people we imagine inhabited it, yet his actorly approach separates him from the mainstream Americana crowd, who tend to favor a more autobiographical approach, or at least some sense of direct confessionalism. Oldham's songs are only obliquely about himself, and they rarely reveal much about the man singing them. "As boys, we fucked each other," he sings at the beginning of "New Tibet". "As men, we lie and smile." In other hands, such a line might deliver a shock to interrupt the lull of the music, but Oldham never breaks character. That f-bomb becomes part of the lull, and is not so much sung as ruefully breathed. The song possesses all the ruminative gravity of "I See a Darkness" and in tone and character could be interpreted as a sequel.

Heroes hold no interest for Oldham, who is much more concerned with the moral tangles of everyday people, like the character in "Quail and Dumplings" who promises a bright future of full bellies and no worries. Despite the subject matter, it's almost impossible to read that song strictly as a 2010s recession anthem, although it certainly derives some power from current conditions. Oldham's antiquated diction and sepia-toned details-- "one day it's going to be quail and dumplings for we"-- removes the song from the present and sets the characters deep in some imagined past. In one sense, it robs the song of any topical gravity, but in another, he allows "Quail and Dumplings" to transcend any one era.

By this point in his career, Oldham seems to realize that it's difficult for his audience to hear his songs outside of the context of his previous albums and incarnations. So he plays that up on Wolfroy, both by shifting away from the fuller sound of his recent albums, and by subtly alluding to his own characters. By now it's esoteric, but hardly a simple retread of past glories. Instead, that sense of connectedness lends these songs a reassuring familiarity, as though they were new corners of a strange world whose boundaries grow larger and whose scenery grows more inviting with every Oldham release.

http://www.M/F.com/?4yjj76oo8ka44ib

altered_carbon

« Reply #1053 on: 13 Oct 2011, 14:11 »

Time again for Iceland's #1 export

Björk - Biophilia

http://www.mediafire.com/?mp25b7eubqnqlj5

fireproofpants

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1054 on: 13 Oct 2011, 15:28 »

Celista - EP

http://celista.bandcamp.com/album/ep

http://bit.ly/celistaep
Beautiful ambient beats like that of Evenings or a more stripped down USF.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #1055 on: 15 Oct 2011, 05:43 »

The Moth & The Mirror - Honestly This World
http://www.mediafire.com/?sdd7a8j6ndi2jow
Quote from: The Skinny
Comprising previous and occasional members of bands including Frightened Rabbit, Smoke Jaguar and The Reindeer Section, The Moth & The Mirror form a smouldering collective, finely balancing tentative acoustic suggestions within patterns of climactic cacophony. Opener Everyone I Know heralds this approach, as delicately picked notes contrast with sturdy bass undertones and dissolving layers of steely guitar.

Vocalist Stacey Sievwright, whose performance here at times recalls Beth Gibbons in collaboration with Rustin Man, is complemented by Tony Doogan's nuanced production; in fact each song illuminates the strengths of each player as well as the potent chemistry of the group.

Amongst the album's brooding atmospherics and cavernous echoes, Beautiful Creature unexpectedly smuggles raunch into a tight, rapidly shifting mix of trumpets and horns. Elsewhere, the title track's unobtrusive, haunting piano line succumbs to the friction of wild, exuberant guitar abandon and is probably the best example of the Moth dynamic, while the closing Oceans and Waves succeeds by tapping into melancholy and joy simultaneously – a fitting end to a striking debut.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

jawnbailey

• Not quite a lurker
  • pizza
« Reply #1056 on: 18 Oct 2011, 21:31 »

Akufen - My Way [2002]

http://www.mf.com/?h129njnzmhj
One could say that Marc LeClair is to tech-house what Todd Edwards is to garage, since they both apply cut-up techniques to their hook-heavy productions. With all the talk of LeClair's methodologies and aims (his own declarations in the liners taken into consideration), it's easy to get lost on the fact that My Way is a terrifically delightful, upbeat record, tipsy with buoyant basslines, swooning textures, and unorthodox hooks. The 4/4 beat on the opening "Even White Horizons" takes four minutes to kick in, prefaced by a cluster of fragmented acoustic guitar flicks that dart in and out between the left and right channels. Following that, the baleful haze of "Installation" and the blissed-out daze of "Skidoos" offer thumping vapor dub, only setting the table for what's to come. "Deck the House" is the obvious centerpiece, a seemingly painstaking but joyously frantic bricolage of LeClair's recordings (blurts of harmonica, snips of radio jingles and pop tunes, more acoustic quarter-licks, unidentifiable sources reduced to squiggles and blips) married to a jumpy house rhythm. That's where the album crests, but the remaining six songs keep the magic flowing, ending with the title track -- a smooth vocal number that seals off one whale of a record - Allmusic.com.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1057 on: 21 Oct 2011, 04:12 »

Control by Pedro The Lion

http://www.mediafire.com/?hnymdzhtmjy
Not my rip. Just heard it when a friend played it the whole way through, we just finished ten minutes ago and my own snag of this isn't even done yet. It's 4:10am and I am completely blown away. Best album I've ever heard, ever.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #1058 on: 23 Oct 2011, 08:39 »

Control by Pedro The Lion
I am completely blown away. Best album I've ever heard, ever.

Pretty much very accurate.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1059 on: 23 Oct 2011, 14:25 »

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

clockwatcher

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'll make monkeys of those monkeys
« Reply #1060 on: 24 Oct 2011, 14:40 »

TOM WAITS - BAD AS ME (2011 @192)

http://www.m/f.com/?ocgqu6sevbz6bss

no pic or write up - like you need that, it's great.
and a lot more accessible than real gone was

PartyWizard69

« Reply #1061 on: 24 Oct 2011, 22:58 »

First time poster long, long time lurker, Blah blah blah, amIright?  :evil:
ANyway, if y'all aren't privy to the mixes Chrissy Murderbot's been making the last couple of years, you really should jump on that bandwagon!
Most people don't realize that techno was born right here in the states in the same city the Automobile was first born, DETROIT; this mix plays homage to that!
Sorry, it's all one track- but it's all gold. If you like this jazz, I got much much more where it came from, ya dig?

http://www.m/f.com/?68oequ555c9bx8b
Party Wizard out.

lcclhll

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1062 on: 25 Oct 2011, 07:26 »

Marine Girls - Lazy Ways (& Beach Party)

http://www.m/f.com/?tzgmwntjz55
Before Tracey Thorn established herself with Everything but the Girl, she produced mellow, spare indie pop with the all-female act the Marine Girls. Inspired by the Raincoats and the Young Marble Giants, Thorn formed the Marine Girls with her schoolmate Gina and Jane Fox in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England, in 1980. At first, Thorn played guitar with Gina on vocals and Fox on bass. Since they knew no drummers, the group decided to focus on a minimalist approach to music.

Sneaker Pimps - Blood Sport

http://www.m/f.com/?1588fahyuy59hd8
After disappearing from American radar screens for several years -- even as Armand Van Helden's trend-setting remix of "Spin Spin Sugar" remained very durable in clubs -- Sneaker Pimps became a radically different group with their third album. Less experimental, less distinctive, and definitely missing the production finesse of Nellee Hooper, Bloodsport suffers musically from a lack of imagination and vocally from Chris Corner's surprisingly post-grunge style of delivery. From the sub-Depeche Mode industrial pop of the opener "Kiro TV" to the bland "Nightclubbing" sound-alike "Small Town Witch," Sneaker Pimps hardly sound like the same band that made indie pop sound hip again back in 1996.

Swanox - Dawnrunner

http://www.m/f.com/?2xxplnqgr7azg2c
The year 2010 just keeps on pleasing me with completely unanticipated pieces of the most amazing music. This time, it’s California slacker Anthony Boruch aka Swanox who’s made my day with his terrific Dawnrunner, a cassette just short of the forty minute mark that is a splendid take on slowly meandering, noise infused psychedelia, a night ride to dark yet appealing places. Britt Brown has dubbed this “loner drone-folk”, and this just about nails it. Recorded at his San Francisco home on a Fostex X-12 over a period of roughly eight months until this May before getting the thing mixed down in LA, Dawnrunner is an amazingly tight and coherent effort both musically and atmospherically, hypnagogic yet with a personal and unique interpretation of the term. The tape is available now via Not Not Fun at an edition of 100, and believe me you do want this.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2011, 07:32 by lcclhll »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1063 on: 26 Oct 2011, 18:43 »

Go listen to June DeVille you ass warbling cockmonglers

(both of their albums are up for free download)
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Algernon

• dangerously bipedal
« Reply #1064 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:55 »

Atlas Sound - Parallax (2011)

Terra Incognita

http://www.mediafire.com/?3ncvk5bfzdk0cl9

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #1065 on: 27 Oct 2011, 13:09 »

Latest post from me blag, hollowpress.blogpot.com

Ernst Karel - Swiss Mountain Transport Systems (Gruenrekorder)

]Many of us live in a state of near constant self-imposed sonic stimulation. We are forever talking on cellphones or listening to ipods, rushing from place to place with music and podcasts and satellite radio and videos streaming on our tablets. Meanwhile the world goes on around us. The irony of this is if one knows how to listen to the world - the real world - one can often find a soundtrack equally rich and stimulating and beautiful to anything we can think to cram onto our mp3 players. Ernst Karel - a sound artist and musician from Chicago - demonstrates this truth with jaw dropping aplomb on his latest release, "Swiss Mountain Transport System." The title of this album says it all. At close to 80 minutes in length, Karel offers his listeners a number of unprocessed field recordings taken on various gondolas, funiculars, and chairlifts in the mountains of Switzerland - from ancient, creaking gondolas to whirring, highspeed chairlifts. That's it. No instruments, no electronic processing, no synthesizers or oscillators or guitar feedback. And yet, despite that, Karel has created one of the most gorgeous, engaging, and fascinating albums of the year. It also happens to work almost perfectly as a drone or minimalist noise album. Through Karel's carefully positioned microphones, these means of mountain conveyance can be heard as accidental electro-mechanical music boxes, an entire world of sound contained in each car. They drone, they are percussive, they amplify and refract and echo and encase sound. Wires ring and reverberate, gears rumble and click, doors creak and whoosh. The mechanical and industrial intersects with other elements of the world - murmured voices across platforms, a peal of church bells off in the distance, a clang of cow bells, a clattering of helicopter rotors, frigid gusts of wind.

As Karel captures it, these unprocessed, unorchestrated sounds - largely mechanical and man-made but nonetheless "organic" in that they belong firmly to a lived environment, integrated in with the natural, and are not created as an end in themselves as with music or intentionally crafted sounds but rather exist as a part of the man/nature soundscape that is a byproduct of a world inhabited by living beings - are immensely affective and evocative. For an album that seems to be about movement, about traversing space, these recordings are incredibly successful not because they are beautiful - though they absolutely are - but because they evoke the mountains and they evoke transportation through that rugged terrain in a remarkably lucid way.

Recorded in stereo with multiple mics, this album truly comes to life when heard through a decent set of headphones. The sound envelopes the listener and we are whisked away through the Alps as Karel's recordings convey with remarkable clarity a sense of distance, of movement, of sound as it's really heard, in the real world. A collection of pure field recordings, it is perhaps ironic that in order to hear - as Karel has captured it - not only the utter beauty in the perpetual sonic landscape that surrounds us but also its incredible, inherent musicality that we must sit and listen closely, headphones firmly donned, without distraction. But one of the things that's so special about this album is that once you listen to it in this way, once you recognize the richness and depth of the world of sound that exists outside our headphones and in the most unexpected of places (we don't think of funiculars and gondolas as being all that interesting as such), it's possible to start discovering similar depth in places one experiences daily and simply never pauses to think about twice. As with all important and truly successful art, "Swiss Mountain Transport System" can radically alter the way one perceives the world.

Be warned: this album requires a good deal of patience. Many will find it boring but for those really willing to sit with it, its rewards continue to unfold listen after listen. It's refreshingly direct - a rarity in our world of ultra-processed music - and restrained, elegant and as simple as can be. At the same time, it's deeper and more nuanced than pretty much anything I've heard in a long while. A completely essential listen, one I cannot recommend highly enough.

http://www.M/F.com/?ei1y92hv41khv0w
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2011, 13:19 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1066 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:26 »

FREE JAZZ

Cecil Taylor is credited by some with being the inventor of free jazz, in 1957; certainly he was a major pioneer.  In 1990 he was recorded over a number of nights in London, playing with bassist William Parker and percussionist Tony Oxley, a grouping called the Cecil Taylor Feel Trio.  This limited edition 10-CD box set was the result.

Cecil Taylor Feel Trio - 2 Ts for a lovely T
Disks 1 & 2:  http://www.M/F.com/?9ee3sayveqa1kta
Disks 3 & 4:  http://www.M/F.com/?dzu5dtap8adubjj
Disks 5 & 6:  http://www.M/F.com/?bf3394w4sz4v36n
Disks 7 & 8:  http://www.M/F.com/?g0hndpl863gh6e0
Disks 9 & 10: http://www.mediafire.com/?nu1yy1hcqv4v1ru
(Yes, most of the disks really are just a single ~40min track - I wasn't being lazy!)

This is where Cecil Taylor wound up over 30 years after the At Newport  recording. He is playing here with a British virtuoso free-improviser and new-music percussionist with a rich jazz history (Tony Oxley), and the stormily formidable American bassist William Parker in an uncompromising spontaneous trio. These ten discs were recorded over a week of shows in London in 1990, and they are neither for the faint-hearted, nor the faintly-resourced: this classy collector's piece will set you back £115, so you've got to be pretty enthusiastic about the later career path of an idiosyncratic colossus of modern piano music and his unflinching indifference to popular tastes or prevailing cultural winds of any kind.

These sessions reveal the high-pressure intricacies of a Taylor improvisation with remarkable clarity. Oxley's flickering, clickety figures, tiny ringing sounds, tabla-like sonorities and shimmering splashes complement Parker's thick, pliable sound and impulsive ingenuity, and Taylor's headlong runs and fierce density are beautifully caught by the recording - it's like having a grand piano in your room, particularly with the muscularity of the instrument's bass register.

The transparency of the sound enhances the differences of intensity and shape across these shows, though the set is intentionally a chronicle of the way a brilliant free-improvising ensemble works over a sustained period, rather than the interpretation of a repertoire. A very specialised item, certainly, but for Taylor disciples, and the more generally musically curious, it is breathtaking.

Just as Taylor's first conceptual leaps in the '50s were documented within the context of his working quartet, the advent of the elements now in the foreground of Taylor's music were first articulated with the Feel Trio. In each set of the '90 London club stand preserved on 2 Ts for a Lovely T,  the trio achieves a gyroscopic fluidity crucial to Taylor's arch concept of unfolding form. Both Parker and Oxley innately follow the advice Taylor gave Sunny Murray 40 years ago: just keep playing. To a remarkable degree, Parker does so by relatively conventional means: lines built with equally valued notes, vamps, antiphonal figures. Oxley is the polar opposite, but with roughly the same results as Parker: both provide Taylor the means to be his most mercurial. Yet the three remain mutually supported as a result.

For each performance, Taylor introduces a wealth of new materials, emphasizing a collection of pitch relationships and rhythm cells that set this music apart from his '80s work. Still, Taylor tends to quickly hit a seemingly unsustainable level of intensity and speed for staggering lengths of time, attacking the materials from all angles, pulling them apart and putting them back together in new proportions. The other absorbing aspect of 2 Ts for a Lovely T  is to hear Taylor suddenly dive deep into his singular lexicon, plunging into jabbing bluesy runs that would not be out of place on his Candid releases, or the type of explosive clusters that made his Shandar albums such compelling listening. Amazingly, these things occur sometimes with the speed of a sonar ping, and they last no longer than it takes Taylor to take a reading and accelerate in a new direction. Subsequently, the workings of Taylor's music become more familiar with each disc, but not at the expense of its power to thrill or even unsettle the listener.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2011, 03:52 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Rubin

« Reply #1067 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:55 »

Alright. It's been a long time since I've been active here. But I thought I'd get my self together and share some danish music with you guys.

When Saints Go Machine - Konkylie

http://www.m/f.com/?kw90hczikr3idij
Cut from the same cloth as How To Dress Well, James Blake and Hercules and Love Affair.
Smooth electronic sounds, neosouly voice. And older than both James Blake and HTDW.

Here is a small part of the very long review at The Line Of Best Fit
The album opens with the title track, which instantly sets the tone for what’s about to be uncovered on this album. The melody is provided by a muted synth, as a fairly complex vocal takes the centre stage. The track eventually develops into a building vocal and tonal exploration, with sampled vocals creating the musical backdrop and haunting tone of the song before leading into the second track.

Here is a the video for Church and Law

If you like it, buy on iTunes
‘All our lives are symbols. Everything we do is part of a pattern we have at least some say in.’
Frank, The Wasp Factory

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
« Reply #1068 on: 28 Oct 2011, 18:11 »

Seaweed - Service Deck/The Weight 7" (2011)

Hailing from Tacoma, Washington, Seaweed was one of those 1990s bands that combined elements of driving punk and rock sound with emotional vocals and catchy melodies. They wer hardcore scene, with contemporaries such as Samiam, Jawbreaker, and tourmates Superchunk and Quicksand. Live, Seaweed were a full-on rock experience, a bouncing, bounding post-hardcore rock outfit who combined double fast melodic punk with crunching guitars.

It's been 10+ years since they put out a proper release.

http://www.M/F.com/?tcnwy78l11p2fnm

- me listening to this

That was really fun thank you for posting this :lol:
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1069 on: 28 Oct 2011, 21:13 »

Heyyyyy it's that guy from Pinback because haha, a new Pinback album? Nah.

Rob Crow - He Thinks He's People

http://www.mediafire.com/?erbqmox3sricfrp
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #1070 on: 30 Oct 2011, 18:32 »

Mediafire needs to have like, one video ad running at a time.

"Alcohol abuse is harmful, especially to our children. I should know; my son was killed by a drunk driver at - "

"NEW CREST TOOTHPASTE MAKES YOUR TEETH WHITER THAN EVER"

jawnbailey

• Not quite a lurker
  • pizza
« Reply #1071 on: 30 Oct 2011, 19:00 »

Boards Of Canada - Live @ Warp10 - 05.11.1999

http://www.mf.com/?t6gbsbyt93tee0t
To those who follow Boards of Canada,

Live @ Warp10 is a collection of songs recorded during the performance of Boards of Canada at Warp Records' 10th anniversary party on November 5, 1999. As with most of their live performances, this was a rare show and unreleased material was played.

Although not formally released by BOC, the recording was put together by a friend and I that tracklist the set.

MEMEs

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1072 on: 31 Oct 2011, 15:43 »

http://www.mf.com/?t6gbsbyt93tee0t
To those who follow Boards of Canada,

Live @ Warp10 is a collection of songs recorded during the performance of Boards of Canada at Warp Records' 10th anniversary party on November 5, 1999. As with most of their live performances, this was a rare show and unreleased material was played.

Although not formally released by BOC, the recording was put together by a friend and I that tracklist the set.

any chance to get the other parts ?

Anyway a bit late but i love this album :

Genre: Dreamgaze, Electronica
Sounds like: Apparat making shoegaze
Grade: 8,5/10
Highlights: Heat Haze, Sumporch, Il Tedesco
http://www.m/f.com/?5lrl8m3rb6t254b

jawnbailey

• Not quite a lurker
  • pizza
« Reply #1073 on: 31 Oct 2011, 19:58 »

any chance to get the other parts ?

As far as I know there were no other recordings from that night, only the BOC performance... Such an amazing line-up, I wish there were other recordings.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2011, 20:08 by jawnbailey »

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #1074 on: 31 Oct 2011, 20:11 »

Rules:

The first rule of this thread is you do not mention MF.  I am doing this because we are currently the first hit for the full version of "MF thread" on Google, so y'know, that's bad n' shit.

The second rule is don't talk about the MF thread.

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to MF, in multiple parts if the album is over 200mb. The reason for this is that we know MF is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page
[/quote]
[/quote]

New page for everyone else, too?
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

ADRIAN WOODHOUSE

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1075 on: 31 Oct 2011, 20:31 »

PUMPERNICKLE - short round
sounds like : sesamestreet and or prankster rap

http://www.mediafire.com/?ntybnnyveuhr1zr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1076 on: 02 Nov 2011, 22:05 »

Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know

http://www.mediafire.com/?ghj4rfgrb202l9k
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #1077 on: 05 Nov 2011, 15:44 »

Haven't visited thread in awhile, so the backlog has increased my laziness.

This regex pattern + this firefox addon should just let you copy paste the "obfuscated" URLs directly into your address bar. I had noticed it now forms "." (e.g. m.F) as well as "/" (e.g. M/f).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/redirector/
http://www.M/F.com/?2r7kayyvqikc8fb (import this file)

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

kid.chivalrous

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1078 on: 09 Nov 2011, 11:40 »

Martyn - Ghost People  (Brainfeeder 2011) - FLAC

If you heard last year's "Left Hander," you'd know that Martyn's sound dipped into dirtier territory more influenced by house than anything else. While many producers have capitalized on the kind of garage/techno/dubstep melange he stewed up with debut album Great Lengths, on Ghost People Martyn has fully moved into this sound, a skewed breakbeat house that forgoes the elegance his earlier material in favour of tough dancefloor material. Here, the soundstage is scaled back from a warehouse to a toolshed, the jagged synths and sandpaper melodies feeling even rawer than before.

Pretty good stuff.  Sorry I don't have more to give.  The record has been split up into 2 files to keep the d/l's under 200mb, however, i didn't use winrar so you don't have to have both of the files.

Pt.1 http://www.mediafire.com/?7z626e34zk5o2mb
Pt.2 http://www.mediafire.com/?b8gvtvogfthv9ig

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #1079 on: 11 Nov 2011, 17:08 »

We still like this band right?

Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness

http://www.m/f.com/?a870q4epqd8qk8v

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #1080 on: 11 Nov 2011, 21:15 »

We still like this band right?

Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness
http://www.m/f.com/?a870q4epqd8qk8v

Based on hearing the respective singles/promos for their new albums: not as much as we like Johnny Foreigner
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer
« Reply #1081 on: 12 Nov 2011, 01:02 »

They are both good albums, but the new Johnny Foreigner album is better. Not by miles like, but just...better.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #1082 on: 14 Nov 2011, 01:12 »

both the above people are wrong
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

TheClickOfALight

• The Click Of A Light
« Reply #1083 on: 14 Nov 2011, 13:52 »

About 5 years ago my friends and I went to see Los Camp play a post-show DJ set, got chatting to the lead singer and drunkenly made fun of his "emo" hair. Instead of joking/fighting with us he cut all his hair off then wrote a blog about it, and I've lost respect for the band ever since. Which is a shame, cos their demos/1st album were class.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #1084 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:57 »

The Moth & the Flame - How We Woke Up

Debut release by local indie band. Solid OK Computer era-esque tunes that alternate between quiet beauty and explosive rock fleshed out with some glitchy experimentalism.

http://www.mediafire.com/?i6idjd9x7cvuodr
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1085 on: 16 Nov 2011, 15:12 »

Rules:

The first rule of this thread is you do not mention MF.  I am doing this because we are currently the first hit for the full version of "MF thread" on Google, so y'know, that's bad n' shit.

The second rule is don't talk about the MF thread.

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to MF, in multiple parts if the album is over 200mb. The reason for this is that we know MF is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hu9hjanus

« Reply #1086 on: 17 Nov 2011, 14:51 »

Long time lurker here, finally giving something back.  These guys are good:

Masked Superstar - Celebrity Induced Buzz (2011)

http://www.m/f.com/?kb6mz47f3bthy78
Amongst the record's loose indie rock anthems and fun head-bobbers, Masked Superstar smuggles foot-stomping raunch and delicate acoustic guitar into a landscape of carefully arranged and unobtrusively catchy love songs.  Short, sweet, and to the point, Celebrity Induced Buzz bears repeat listening.

http://lofimusicblog.com/bandcamp-album-of-the-day/bandcamp-album-of-the-day-celebrity-induced-buzz-ep-by-masked-superstar/

http://maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com/

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1087 on: 17 Nov 2011, 21:20 »

Matthew And The Atlas - Hide Under The Sun / Tour EP

http://www.M/F.com/?wzsvrr7qwi6i64y
Quote from: lastfm
The five-piece are scorched with a sound that combines a woozy, day-dreaming California with a muscular updating of English pastoral folk; the cultured, straw-scratched vocal of Matthew Hegarty backed by tender vocal harmonies and rolling banjo lines.

The band are building a committed live following in London – selling out the Lexington with their first ever headline show earlier this year. They have recently finished a UK tour with Mumford & Sons and released their second EP ‘Kingdom Of Your Own’ in November, selling out The Borderline for the launch.
MySpace | Matthew and the Atlas - Within the Rose (youtube)

EDIT: new batch (will try to add links/info later)

Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX - We're New Here (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?bsi1nj6p6n6nyc1Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie xx - 'NY Is Killing Me'  (youtube)

Makeup and Vanity Set - Never Let Go (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?aqw6oot0u1b66adNever Let Go (bandcamp)

Fucked Up - David Comes To Life (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?1s46wbi4m8wblaqFucked Up - David Comes to Life (youtube)

Middle Brother - s/t (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?568pcms3rjd8pkfMiddle Brother - Middle Brother (youtube)

The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?kmnuyzydlw9l184The War on Drugs - Baby Missiles (youtube)

The Rosebuds - Loud Planes Fly Low (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?85ea95ocric92lfRosebuds - Second Bird of Paradise (youtube)

The Men - Leave Home (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?21v90fkf5phh4jpThe Men - Bataille (youtube)

Yuck - s/t (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?eahltpa7ioifpkeYuck - Suicide Policemen (youtube)

Dawes - Nothing is Wrong (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?awawku7w0z3z0agDawes - If I Wanted Someone (youtube)

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?p1421p3zkc9nk4cSt. Vincent - Strange Mercy (youtube)

Bomb the Music Industry - Vacation (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?dbgtisnci5br05oWhy, Oh Why, Oh Why (Oh Oh Oh Oh)]Bomb the Music Industry - Why, Oh Why, Oh Why (Oh Oh Oh Oh) (youtube)

SBTRKT - s/t (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?c76c7b4dsn66b4zSBTRKT - Hold On (youtube)

Beirut - The Rip Tide (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?00ig3lwlcvfd3ioBeirut - The Rip Tide (youtube)

Youth Lagoon - Year of Hibernation (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?qve3mzczmisy8agYouth Lagoon - Montana (youtube)

Shabazz Palaces - Black Up (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?ko159k4ufurckhyShabazz Palaces - Are you... Can you... Were you? (Felt) (youtube)

Megafaun - s/t (2011)

http://www.M/F.com/?s0lh6owv6jdz8mtMEGAFAUN - Impressions of the Past  (youtube)
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2011, 14:31 by gospel »
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #1088 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:35 »

YESSSS the med!4fyre thread has returned to it's former glory!  Thanks so much!
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Lwize

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1089 on: 19 Nov 2011, 14:32 »

... lots of uploads...

Although I appreciate the uploads, could you give some reviews, the genres, or maybe "recommended if you like..."

Thanks.

Catacombs

« Reply #1090 on: 19 Nov 2011, 14:41 »

There's a YouTube link with literally every album.  Go check 'em out yourself.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #1091 on: 19 Nov 2011, 15:49 »

That list of albums contains quite a few of my favorites from the past year.

chenghiz

• Not quite a lurker
  • WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL
« Reply #1092 on: 20 Nov 2011, 12:23 »

Fucked Up link goes to Middle Brother. But thanks for the linkdump!

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1093 on: 20 Nov 2011, 14:24 »

Should be fixed

http://www.mediafire.com/?1s46wbi4m8wblaq

-Abraham Lincoln

chenghiz

• Not quite a lurker
  • WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL
« Reply #1094 on: 20 Nov 2011, 14:29 »

Should be fixed

http://www.M/F.com/?1s46wbi4m8wblaq

Thanks a ton. Also I had totally forgotten about Makeup and Vanity Set until you posted their album... saw him a few years ago opening for The Protomen and he was pretty cool.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1095 on: 20 Nov 2011, 15:37 »

La Dispute - Wildfire (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?8l08tpgd8pgw4olLa Dispute - You and I in Unison (youtube)

Giles Corey - s/t (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?fp7cufh44fxpb8hGiles Corey - Spectral Bride (youtube)

Andrew Jackson Jihad - The Knife (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sstzl9lojl2ooeoAndrew Jackson Jihad - People II 2: Still Peoplin' (youtube)

Thee Oh Sees - Castlemania (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?oks65dpr8i2ir6cThee Oh Sees - I Need Seed (youtube)

Dan Mangan - Oh Fortune (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?voyo86oo3v6spe9Dan Mangan - Oh Fortune (youtube)

Massive Attack vs Four Tet - Four Walls / Paradise Circus EP (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?f82tiy33d2ruu3pMassive Attack vs. Four Tet - Four Walls (youtube)

Laura Stevenson and the Cans - Sit Resist (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?yo9a9899ior86l1Laura Stevenson and the Cans - Master of Art (youtube)

Teen Daze - A Silent Plant (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?nxab863ewi8ft6eTeen Daze - The Harvest (youtube)

Hussy - Cement Tomb Mind Control (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?i7jmbv2zymbvvy4Cement Tomb Mind Control (bandcamp)

The Coppertone - Hymns for the Hollow (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?x1paxn0co007e93The Coppertone - Last Goodbye's (youtube)

Ty Segall - Goodbye Bread (2011)

http://www.mediafire.com/?58y5ylda1y9momsTy Segall - Goodbye Bread (youtube)

-Abraham Lincoln

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1096 on: 21 Nov 2011, 20:25 »

SBTRKT - s/t (2011)

I refuse to listen to this band until SOMEONE tells me how the fuck to pronounce that. Suh-beh-tor-eck-ket?

Catacombs

« Reply #1097 on: 21 Nov 2011, 21:15 »

I'm guessing it's "subtract"?  Although I just found out what OFWGKTA stands for this weekend so I might be wrong on this one, too.

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1099 on: 22 Nov 2011, 03:15 »

Music for Royal Occasions

Blow and Purcell wrote the music for the coronation of King James II in 1685.  Here are two anthems, one by each of them (though both have at times been attributed to Purcell). 

Purcell's Funeral Sentences were written early in his life, but he revised them several times, and they were probably used at his own funeral. It is often said that they were performed at the funeral of Queen Mary, but actually only a new version of the last (the one performed here) was used used on that occasion.

Jean Gilles was a contemporary of Purcell, working in the south of France.  He was similarly gifted, and similarly died early - however, living remote from Paris he didn't get the recognition before his death that Purcell achieved.  His Messe des Morts (Requiem) was first performed at his funeral, and became popular for a time, being performed for the funerals of Louis XV, Rameau and the King of Poland.  During the French Revolution the composer's score was lost, and the work (and its composer) sank into an obscurity from which they are only now being retrieved.

Performed last weekend by the choir I sing in...

Blow & Purcell - Coronation Anthems
Purcell - Funeral Sentences
Gilles - Messe des Morts

http://www.M/F.com/?5jkf44b6zsal5n1
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up