THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 21:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonight! The Series Premiere of "The Cape"!  (Read 6042 times)

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
  • Genetically Enginered to RAWK!
Tonight! The Series Premiere of "The Cape"!
« on: 09 Jan 2011, 09:04 »

Sure the background story is pretty perdictable by comic book standards. But getting an adpation to TV has my intrest. I haven't been getting my fix of superhero TV in awhile, and The Cape looks like it offers something fresh. No superpowres. Just a cape, and a thist for VEGENCE! lol. If this is the closest I'll ever get to a live-action Batman series, I'll take it.

Also Keith David. Anyone who vaugley remembers a turly amazing show called "Gargoyles" will know who I'm talking about. The man has the voice!  :-D And I haven't seen him in anything on camera in awhile. It'll be worth ctaching the premiere just to see him.
"She's a chick. She's got a sword. She hasn't seen a man in like forever! I fail to see a pro- oh, there you go.."

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Tonight! The Series Premiere of "The Cape"!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2011, 18:05 »

wait, keith david's in this show? hot shit
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2011, 18:35 »

I don't think even Captain Anderson can save this show.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jan 2011, 19:48 »

wait, keith david's in this show? hot shit
He's the wizened mentor, so expect him to get kill't in short order.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jan 2011, 19:54 »

Noooooooooo!!! The power of Keith comples you! He can;t die! So what if he's the old mentor characetr, who takes our hero under his wing and guides him on his path to find redemption untilte he no longer...oh damnit all. He's dead by the 6 episode isn't he?
"She's a chick. She's got a sword. She hasn't seen a man in like forever! I fail to see a pro- oh, there you go.."

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2011, 20:03 »

End of the pilot is my guess. Hero with 1,000 Faces. You can't deviate from that shit.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jan 2011, 20:07 »

The A.V. Club tells me this may be in the "so-horrendously-bad-it's-watchable" territory.

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jan 2011, 20:13 »

The A.V. Club tells me this may be in the "so-horrendously-bad-it's-watchable" territory.

Errr..Like Adam West Batamn terrioty here? Because honetsly if that's the case, this may not be so bad. Change the marketing up, hire new writters, keep the story as dramtic as possible ( with the 'Ba-Dum!' soundtrack to prove it), and throw in some themed villians and wacky "Cape gadgets" ( Cape-moblie? Cape Boat? Cape Zeppelin?) and this might be the best thing on TV right now.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2011, 13:22 »

Holy generic plot devices Batman!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:28 »

It can be arugued that without the genric-lot devices, you suddenly have a story about a man who's soltuion to fighting crime is to dress up as a giant bat, and scare the crap out of criminals. Not that this dosen't make for good T.V, but the plot suddenly becomes alot less funny and alot more depperssing if you know what I mean. :lol:

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2011, 19:17 »

I was trying to figure out why the show is just so BAD.

Like they have a guy with a skin condition like Killer Croc but he is just a smuggler with a skin condition.

They do nothing.  No backstory or even a few scenes to show what a ruthless badass he is.

He is just a smuggler with a skin condition.

The Oracle character is a just Oracle without the wheelchair which makes this character really kinda not as good as the original.  You can be either a badass with a taser who can fend off an assassin hand to hand or you can be a computer nerd.  There isn't really any way to have a character be both without a bit of explanation.

Unless you are Batman of course.  Then you can get away with it.  Because that concept tries to explain it and be interesting!

Like I figure this show has all the goofy shit that makes Batman bad without ANY of the funny stuff or interesting characters that make Batman good.

You can't have a Batman show with all the goofy Bullshit characters without making those characters a tiny bit interesting and unique.

You can't just put Vinny Jones in some scaly makeup, call him Scales and call it a day.  You have to fucking show what a ruthless scary badass he is and a bit about WHY he is that way.  You can't just put him in a shitty fistfight with the main character for his first scene and call it a day.  I mean you know NOTHING about him.  He is just a smuggler with a skin condition.  The only thing that makes him a bit threatening is that it's Vinny Jones yelling at people and we kinda transfer all the villains he has played in the past unto this character (which is  fucking blank slate!).

This show really got under my skin because it could have been decent but the writing is not there.  Everything else from actors to costumes could actually work.  

The writing however, is NOT THERE.

ARGHHHHH! People get paid ACTUAL MONEY to write this.

They GOT PAID MONEY FOR THIS!

Also Keith David was great.  He was really trying to work with what little they gave him.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2011, 19:22 »

And it's SO on the edge of being so fucking bad it's fun to watch.

But it's not.  It's not.

But them trying to be funny is teeth-grinding.  Like training against a little person strongman?  That is their humor?  Really?

The parts I found really funny are little bits like the CRT monitor and the old black and white Box TV in his "lair".  There was even an old ink jet printer in there.   Which was hilarious.  It's like the prop guys just did not give a fuck at all.

"lets just put some random shit we can get for free in here.  It should look OK"

Fake Batman has a 386 as a crime computer.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2011, 20:25 »

Hey Caleb. How does it feel to be completely wrong?

I loved it. It could use better pacing, I'll admit that. Some parts drag too long, some are over too quick for me to quite understand everything. But it was a lot of fun to watch. They were trying to keep the show fast-paced, so they couldn't devote a few minutes to Scales. And I would argue that not giving a full backstory isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe you'll find out more about him once his knee heals. You know that he is strong, has his underlings scared shitless, and keeps his head when most baddies in the genre wouldn't. Sometimes less is more.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2011, 20:47 »

Again, the only thing that made that character good was Vinnie Jones himself.  There was NO good writing supporting that character.  It was a non character!  Why even have him?

How the hell could you watch that show and not see how easily they could have cut out a solid 5-8 extra minutes of fat to flesh out that supporting character and build a better foundation with other aspects of the show?

I dunno.  Maybe the only reason I am pissed off at "The Cape"  is that it could have been a really fun show to watch.  The only thing lacking is a bit better writing.  Like everything else is there.

Maybe they will get some better writers to do some awesome episodes and this disaster will get back on track.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2011, 21:54 »

I'm almost entirely convinced that this show is a plot by Tim Kring to get Heroes back on.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2011, 23:50 »

I really don't see the problem with Scales. He got his character across fine. I don't see why you need to have backstory for everything. This is supposed to be the TV version of a comic book, not Metal Gear.

I do think that the pacing could have used work, like I said. Less time on some things, more on others. But I still enjoyed it. What particularly are you talking about with the writing? The dialogue?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Bass Lizard

• Plantmonster
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2011, 19:56 »

If I recall, Batman started off as a really goofy idea too. Man dresses as a bat to avenge family and fight crime? And that was before they went to town on introducing some real loony ( but today iconic) villians. I say, give the writters and actors time to famliarize themselves with the world and give the writting a chance to find it's identiy. We may yet get the 21st ceuntry revial of Adam West's Batman! This is by all accounts a good thing. :-D

At any rate, I'd rather the show start bad and get better, then start really strong and go downhill from there. I'm looking at you Heroes!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2011, 15:44 »

I'm looking at you Heroes!
I still hold that season 4 was good enough to warrant it continuing, but I don't blame people for having long given up and stopped watching by then.

Anyway, the show's now over.  The series finale was not a bad episode, but it definitely wasn't a finale, either.

Modifier: Also, until the last few episodes, Oracle just seemed to normal a character for Summer Glau.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 15:46 by Method of Madness »
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up