THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 03:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epic Meal Time - Not Safe For Vegetarians  (Read 21103 times)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
Re: Epic Meal Time - Not Safe For Vegetarians
« Reply #50 on: 11 Jan 2011, 22:29 »

I'd probably be far more inclined to take her objections seriously if she posted about literally anything else ever.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jan 2011, 22:55 »

akima contributes a lot and posts about a lot of things actually, like... really often. her comments regarding asian stereotypes and racism (which are really not that frequent) are memorable because she's usually the only person in a given thread who ever actually notices and brings up the issue and actively wants to discuss it. like jordan said she's one of the few actual minority members who post on this forum and personally i find it refreshing to get a different opinion and perspective once in a while, even if i don't always agree completely. belittling and dismissing those opinions is a pretty shitty thing to do.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2011, 23:10 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #52 on: 11 Jan 2011, 23:04 »

Yes, Akima's posts are solid but maybe it's possible that she's hypervigilant. Then again, I'm a white male so what do I know?

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #53 on: 11 Jan 2011, 23:44 »

Is this really going to be the thread where we condescend toward one of the very few actual minority members of the (lower) forum for being sensitive toward potentially racist comments?

Because I was pretty happy with the insane meat fiesta of the first post.
So what you are saying is that there's no way I can disagree with her and not be an asshole? Either I disagree with her completely and dismiss her, or I try to be understanding while disagreeing with her. Either insensitive and ignorant or condescending.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #54 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:01 »

Nah, I guess what I'm saying is that someone being particularly sensitive to things that affect them and not you and, very likely, have affected them and not you, is not really being on a high horse since, you know, in the future it will continue to affect them and not you and that it's pretty okay to disagree on the particulars sure but on the other hand it's also pretty okay to disagree privately to yourself and continue to talk about the delicious and awful meats instead which is really what I'm saying let's watch those videos again.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Nodaisho

« Reply #55 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:19 »

I dunno man. I see accusations of racism as a pretty serious thing. If someone makes them, they should really be ready to back them up.

Meat for your consideration: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/bacon_beef_rolls.html

I really want to make that some time.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #56 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:24 »

I understand that there is a lot of racism in Australia, that doesn't even have the decency to be recognized as a problem by the general populace (unlike in the US). On the other hand, that's no excuse for you making racism accusations and then getting defensive when people point out what you missed.
Wow! I do you the courtesy of acknowledging your point that maybe he was referring to the Vietnam War, rather than simply picking on the country and its people, and that is your response? That I'm being defensive about what I missed? I never said I agreed with your interpretation, you know. Assuming he was referring to a war that ended thirty-five years ago, rather than to the country of today, just why exactly should I have picked up on that? It's not like Vietnam vanished after the fall of Saigon. Or is that the point? That to the guys who made the video, the only thing of consequence about the country is the Vietnam War, so that to mention the country's name automatically refers to the war and nothing else?
When someone makes reference to killing babies and China, maybe you should get off of your high horse and remember that the PRC currently has a law that leads to illegal babies being killed, and that it isn't racist to point out how fucked up that is.
Yeah, of course I should totally shut up because the existence of that law (which I abhor incidentally, for all the good that does) completely disqualifies me from recognising when Asian countries are simply being used as metaphors for evil by some jerk in a joke video on the internet. There's no way he was making any serious point about the One Child Policy. Still, you didn't call me over-sensitive or tone-deaf, so thank you for that.  :-)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Nodaisho

« Reply #57 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:06 »

Rabbit isn't an unusual food at all, though. That doesn't really make sense.

Incidentally, rabbit isn't bad. Tough except for the back meat, but not bad. Good diet food due to the low amount of fat to protein.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 01:09 by Nodaisho »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #58 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:24 »

Based on Akima's last reply it's quite clear that she isn't looking to have her mind changed on this topic.

This thread is now about BACON BACON BACON BACON CANADIAN BACON (again).
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #59 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:43 »

CANADIAN BACON

Those of us living in the Commonwealth just call it Bacon.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:49 »

You're implying superiority and popularity over side bacon.

You insensitive jerk.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #61 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:58 »

Incidentally, rabbit isn't bad. Tough except for the back meat, but not bad. Good diet food due to the low amount of fat to protein.

It's one of those slow cooked meats, which doesn't always lend itself to being good diet food. Very nice to eat though, I have it at least a couple of times a year. Been a while since I killed and prepared my own though.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #62 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:16 »

Then again, I'm a white male so what do I know?

PRIVILEGE!

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #63 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:03 »

Also, vegans are strident sickly.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:22 »

Geez next thing you know you guys will be telling me there's something wrong with this video too
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Nodaisho

« Reply #65 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:46 »

It's one of those slow cooked meats, which doesn't always lend itself to being good diet food. Very nice to eat though, I have it at least a couple of times a year. Been a while since I killed and prepared my own though.
Maybe the legs are so tough because we don't cook it slow. Apparently stew can also be good, so you can chuck a rabbit in a crock pot for the day and have dinner when you get back. I haven't had a good rabbit stew, though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #66 on: 12 Jan 2011, 14:20 »

My mother used to jug rabbit with cider when I was small, and school used to serve a rabbit stew sometimes.  But these dishes vanished when the UK population was almost wiped out by myxomatosis in 1954-5 (over 95% of rabbits died), and have not reappeared significantly.  I've had rabbit only twice since then, I think - possibly only once.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nodaisho

« Reply #67 on: 12 Jan 2011, 15:04 »

We have a lot of rabbits out here. In the city, you tend not to see them until night falls, but out in the country you can see them pretty often.

I've heard squirrel can also be pretty good, my grandmother loves Brunswick stew, but I've never tried it. Those would be a lot easier to find in the city than rabbits.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #68 on: 12 Jan 2011, 15:27 »

My dad would make rabbit occasionally when I was young.  I have made it once.  Also Hudda made rabbit when we visited.

Good diet food due to the low amount of fat to protein.
Apparently rabbit is so low in fat that you can starve if it is your primary food. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #69 on: 12 Jan 2011, 15:50 »

I should clarify - rabbits have reappeared in the UK, but the eating of rabbit has pretty much not.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snalin

• You may Baste me
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #71 on: 12 Jan 2011, 20:34 »

I've heard squirrel can also be pretty good, my grandmother loves Brunswick stew, but I've never tried it. Those would be a lot easier to find in the city than rabbits.

When one of my friends was at agricultural college, apparently local squirrels had become so emboldened by being fed by successive waves of students that they would come right into the windows and just stare at you, so he used to supplement his food supply by shooting them in the head with his webley air pistol, skinning and gutting them in the halls kitchen then stewing up the meat, a pattern of behaviour which lead to other, more fluffyness-enamoured students petitioning the college authorities to have him expelled.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #72 on: 12 Jan 2011, 21:10 »

You mean grey squirrels? Grey squirrels that are an introduced pest in the UK and have driven the endemic (and much cuter) red squirrel to local extinction in most of the country?

God people are dumb.

Nodaisho

« Reply #73 on: 12 Jan 2011, 21:56 »

What are the laws on killing squirrels in the UK? I think here you need a small game license. And in my town, technically you aren't legally allowed to fire an air rifle in city limits. You could get away with it pretty easily, since nobody's going to notice an air rifle shot, but legally you aren't supposed to do it.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:04 »

I should clarify - rabbits have reappeared in the UK, but the eating of rabbit has pretty much not.

I'm sensing a bit of a ressurgence actually. As well as a bit more availability in indy butchers, it's been cropping up on pub menus, especially in the huge gastro-pub region of the Cotswolds. With a near zero livestock cost I would imagine it's going to be an attractive option in the current climate.

I hope that it continues because it's quite a bit of an overlooked meat and by reintroducing it to our national diet, it will reduce our impact on local and global environment management.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #75 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:08 »

What are the laws on killing squirrels in the UK? I think here you need a small game license. And in my town, technically you aren't legally allowed to fire an air rifle in city limits. You could get away with it pretty easily, since nobody's going to notice an air rifle shot, but legally you aren't supposed to do it.

I think you need a license of some description and I doubt shooting would be a preferable option. As far as I know, the recommended method is box trapping. I also understand the law means that should one become trapped by any means, it is illegal to release it back to the wild, you must kill it or keep it permanently trapped.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #76 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:51 »

Since grey squirrels are invasive pests I'm fairly sure you're allowed to just kill them the same way you are rats, mice, pigeons etc.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #77 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:58 »

I've been told by my housemate from Cumbria before that up there, not only are you allowed to shoot grey squirrels, but if you do, if you take the body to someone-or-other, you get paid for it.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #78 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:21 »

schimmy,

Urban myth stemming from tail bonuses that were paid out in the early part of the previous century. Worth noting that tail bonuses were only paid out on red squirrels and not grey.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #79 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:32 »

Since grey squirrels are invasive pests I'm fairly sure you're allowed to just kill them the same way you are rats, mice, pigeons etc.

Turns out I was wrong, no license is required and you can kill them any way you like as long as it falls in line with any other existing ordinance.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #80 on: 13 Jan 2011, 06:23 »

I live in Norfolk and my step-father is a butcher and country-man. Many of his friends own farms in the area and when the rabbits are in season he'd quite often go and clear the fields for them. Most of the time they'd be good enough for him to take to the workshop for cutting up and DAMN rabbit pie is good.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #81 on: 13 Jan 2011, 07:04 »

Also Hudda made rabbit when we visited.

Man, that was the best 4 AM General Tso's Rabbit I have ever had.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #82 on: 25 Jan 2011, 15:07 »

For you, it's a ridiculous display of epic over the top manliness.
For Sweden, it's tuesday.

Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time

Spaghetti Explosion
Meatball Massacre
Sidepork Pandemonium

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 26 Jan 2011, 23:53 »

That dude's beard more than makes up for the fact that he's parodying too hard.

Why the fuck did this thread die?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #84 on: 27 Jan 2011, 00:18 »

Because watching people eat heaps of food is gross.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #85 on: 27 Jan 2011, 00:45 »

Guys just remember that if you eat only rabbit, it will leach all the nutrients from your bones and you will die.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #86 on: 27 Jan 2011, 02:51 »

That dude's beard more than makes up for the fact that he's parodying too hard.

beard or no beard i find him much funnier than the epic meal or epic vegan guys.

also it takes some real commitment to the gag to do a Lady & the Tramp with raw bacon.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #87 on: 27 Jan 2011, 04:05 »

Oh god this is brilliant.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #88 on: 27 Jan 2011, 11:53 »

Ergh, privilege privilege privilege privilege privilege.

ANYWAY

There are things on this that I would eat, but like, I really don't find any of it funny? Or even interesting? I dunno. The best part of this show is seeing president's choice and no name and other various brands that I never see in programs.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #89 on: 27 Jan 2011, 13:59 »

IS GOOD FOR YOU
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #90 on: 27 Jan 2011, 15:34 »

Well it's certainly tastier.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #91 on: 27 Jan 2011, 15:39 »

Just shows you can be a vegan and a racist prick.

this is truer than most of us would probably like to admit. that's my response to this two-week-old post
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #92 on: 27 Jan 2011, 15:39 »

you know where else rabbit is popular is italy and also at gordon ramsay's restaurants and in vermont

e: ok the last one's just because there's an entire chapter in Good Meat devoted to the fine art of cook up a rabbit

and now that i've edited this post & broken kayfabe i'll just post what i was going to triple post (oh my god i'm an asshole?!) here: an interview w/ the dudes
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2011, 15:53 by Johnny C »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #93 on: 27 Jan 2011, 15:53 »

What always shocks me is my insanely fucking racist transgender lesbian acquaintance. That never made sense to me. She hates black people and Mexicans so so so much, though. It's wacky.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #94 on: 27 Jan 2011, 15:56 »

I bet John Waters wishes he thought of that.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #95 on: 27 Jan 2011, 15:57 »

We all have our hangups - I know I do.  Hopefully most of us try to fight against them, though presumably with varying success.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #96 on: 27 Jan 2011, 15:58 »

What always shocks me is my insanely fucking racist transgender lesbian acquaintance. That never made sense to me. She hates black people and Mexicans so so so much, though. It's wacky.

yeah but does she eat rabbit

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #97 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:34 »

We all have our hangups - I know I do.  Hopefully most of us try to fight against them, though presumably with varying success.

i've got a major hangup about jamming steak knives in my eyes (whether it improves my vision or not) and feel no particular need to fight against it.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #98 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:00 »

also:

Chop Chop Carnage Stew ( Alternative Pyttipanna )

i totally cannot get enough of these guys

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #99 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:50 »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up