Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 17 Jul 2019, 10:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 181180 times)

dutchrvl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #1100 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:03 »

On the topic of the NGE Netflix script changes I saw something doing the rounds on tumblr about some of the other scenes. For Example. . . .

From the original dub

From the new netflix dub

Dunno if this is legit or some sort of weird ass false flag crap.

Hmm, it would be rather bizarre is they actually used the word 'leftists'.....is this real?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1101 on: 27 Jun 2019, 09:18 »

They still don't like referencing the Aum attacks directly.  But yes, that's a curious choice for the subs.  Dan Kanemitsu probably doesn't have a clear idea how that reads in the West.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1102 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:55 »

It's just as I suspected all along - THE ANGELS ARE COMMUNISTS!
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1103 on: 28 Jun 2019, 13:27 »

Here's a reasonable article on the new translation of Evangelion used by Netflix (I put it that way because it's clearly not Netflix's translation, but Khara's), specifically with regard to Kaworu's lines.

In other news, the remainder of Forest of Piano is now up on Netflix.  The second half has been done without the CGI of the piano playing, which some people criticised - so instead they represent the effect of the music with lots of floating bubbles and the like.  But to be fair, the manga does that too!  Although I am sad that they missed out some elements of the story (Kai's meeting and wooing his girlfriend), it's still a good representation of the main story.  I suppose they could make the girlfriend episode as an OVA, if they can be bothered (I suspect they won't, which is a shame); they could also do a short OVA of the piano tuning episode.

While I'm here, do try to get to watch Dororo.  This new adaptation of the old (1967-8) manga has a decent ending instead of just petering out, and is nicely designed and animated (and obviously beats the old 1969 anime version by being better quality and not black-and-white!).  It was a constant pleasure this last season.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SmilingCat

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #1104 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:52 »

(just got netflix a week ago and binged a couple shows, Evangelion among them)

I'm actually really bothered by the reaction to changing Kaworu's line. Even setting aside that what he actually said in the original Japanese translates most accurately as "like", all of the original context is still there. All the blushes, the interactions, his obvious affection, Shinji's confused reciprocation... none of that is gone. It's not gay erasure if all the subtext is still there. And using like to indicate attraction isn't even a Japan specific thing. Did none of these people go to high school and obsess over "liking" someone, but like, "Like" liking them?

Too much complaining about that and not enough complaining about the use of "children". Please think of the Children!

I also binge watched "Your Lie in April" based on a reference I saw in a youtube video. Apparently it's not really a good idea for someone going through a crippling depressive episode to binge watch "Your Lie in April".

RedWolf4

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1105 on: 01 Jul 2019, 02:24 »

Eh, I think it's more pushback against how dubs sometimes try to PC the intended/unintended/complete far left interpretations of dialogue.

(Only example I can think of right now is the Dub for Sailor moon changing the dialogue between two characters to make them out to be cousins as opposed to heavily implied lovers, and only succeeding in creating a brand new kissin' cousins' interpretation!)
Winner of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018'.

SmilingCat

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #1106 on: 01 Jul 2019, 14:31 »

That would be hilarious since the change to Kaworu's dialogue is a result of following the original Japanese more closely.

(Amusing sidebar, I can distinctly recall people complaining when the original english dub was released, because having Kaworu say "I love you" offended people who insisted it added a gay subtext that "didn't exist". I think I even recall someone arguing that the... er... hospital scene with Shinji and Asuka in End of Evangelion proved that Shinji was straight and therefore the "I love you" translation was wrong)

To be honest, I feel like it's a knee jerk reaction that's more they changed it, now it sucks!" And it's only a story because it's clickbait worthy.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up