THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355360 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #200 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:31 »

None, in fact.  But reading round, it was clear that Madoka is different, so I tried it. 

For one thing, here is an anime with an all-girl cast, but with no fan-service - nope, none at all.  Even less than Azumanga Daioh, which has a little, but inoffensive and appropriately linked to the action in any case.

Then the art - it is fantastic, most notably the fantastical realms of the witches themselves; but the whole thing is beautifully done.  I presume that the more cutesy aspects of the art follow the norm for magical girl stories - but they are well done in any case.

Then there's the story.  Not so much "magic fixes everything in the end" here.  In fact it's pretty dark, especially when
(click to show/hide)
And then the ending - Madoka makes a wish which seems to get round the limitations, but
(click to show/hide)

Of course, nothing can be immune from criticism, and here I would point at the slightly flat personalities of the characters - especially Madoka herself, who shows less development than one might like to see.  Essentially everything happens around her, until the point is reached that she can step forward and make her big decision which changes everything.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2012, 12:38 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #201 on: 30 Sep 2012, 06:50 »

Although it seems like Madoka's involvement (Let's call that a mixture of Haruka and Miharu, from The Idolmaster and Nobari no Ou respectively) is rather flat and ancillary, despite her main character status, I still think it's mostly because of her role in the story. If they had more time, maybe they could have fleshed out her character more by expanding the other groundhog-day loops, but that would have require almost a season's worth of episode 10 content.
Also: I still find it amusing how Incubator's not evil. He just shoots the dog on a universal scale.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #202 on: 30 Sep 2012, 14:31 »

Sure; once what's going on between Homura and Madoka is spelt out, her character becomes more understandable, as does Kyuubey's persistence - so on rewatching the series, I'm less inclined to repeat the criticism of it.

Kyuubey not evil?  Well, evil is a matter of definition within a specific moral framework.  To humans, what it* is doing is evil; but from the perspective of the Incubators, who are not part of our moral framework, it is not - from our perspective, the most charitable term is amoral.

* Kyuubey being sexless.

It only occurred to me the other day that two fairly recent but quite different anime series have had attempting to deflect the fate of the universe as an underlying theme (Madoka Magica and Gurren Lagann).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #203 on: 30 Sep 2012, 17:24 »

Well, less of deflecting fate and more like finding some anthropomorphic representation of a "foregone" conclusion and beating the ever-loving crap out of it. Then breaking reality.
Another series also came to mind: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. Before you have a good grasp on who the big bad is, the underlying theme of the recursion scenarios is to defy fate by changing what people think is inevitable.
Speaking of flat characters though: Gurren Lagann seemed to have serious issues with characters who just came into the series with a pre-assigned personality or gimmick. The only characters I can think of who went through character development were the surviving members of the original Gurren Brigade and Rossiu. I guess Nia technically went through a serious change, but that was mostly forced.
Edit: And Viral. Viral got to change quite a bit, once he realized he was getting his ass kicked by a woman and a kid.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2012, 17:48 by Asterus »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #204 on: 01 Oct 2012, 02:10 »

That's a bit hard on Nia, who came back through her own will from her forced state of being to marry Simon, even while going through her final dissolution.

And in MM, I wasn't referring to Madoka's actions in defying fate, but to the Incubators' concern with entropy which is parallel to the anti-spirals' desire to limit evolution.  I was also amused this time round by the parallel between Madoka's transformation and the "Giant Naked Rei" in the sky in End of Evangelion - even with the pattern forming in the sky as it happens!  We get to see the transformed universe in this case, though, whereas in EoE it is only frustratingly hinted at.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #205 on: 10 Oct 2012, 22:32 »

Oh hey I totally forgot about this thread. Whoops.

So yeah I finished watching through P4: The Animation and I love most of it. I do have a collection of little gripes that don't majorly impact on my enjoyment overall, but:

- I found the fight scenes to be great eye candy (well to that end the whole series is great eye candy), but honestly Persona attacks seemd quite arbritrary at times. Normally in a regular animu you'd have all the characters telegraphing their shit for the audience to understand, but most of the time in P4:A the audience is basically expected to recognise that one colored explosion is different from another colored explosion, and weaknesses and strengths (a key element of Persona gameplay) is just there with no explanation about it. A minor gripe since the series is aimed at the fans and they'd mostly understand what was going on anyway, but it doesn't really help accessibility to the series. (See: Pyro Jack absorbing most of the enemy Agi spells in all those episodes)
- I thought the 'true ending' episode was honestly - I was going to say garbage, but it might be too strong a word. I thought putting all that plot development into half an hour was insanity, and imo it came out feeling rushed. What with all the cutting back and forth there wasn't really any sense of transition or at least, no sense that they *physically went from location A to B*.

Yeah I'm fine now, you guys can go back to your regular scheduling  :mrgreen:

/end rant

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #206 on: 27 Oct 2012, 16:57 »

Paul, if you end up watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons), just keep in mind that they don't quite follow any continuity of the movies. They are their own world, so to speak.

I think that Kyubei is intentionally deceptive, if nothing else. Whether you view it as evil or "shooting the dog" is subjective to your own viewpoints, I guess...but when he says
(click to show/hide)
I think it hints at his true intentions, and him being aware that if he reveals the truth, he won't have any consenting volunteers.

And finally, for those who have seen Evangelion (or who haven't, I guess), what are your thought considering the plot similarity in RahXephon?
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #207 on: 28 Oct 2012, 05:38 »

Paul, if you end up watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons), just keep in mind that they don't quite follow any continuity of the movies. They are their own world, so to speak.

Based on what I have read about the series, I have decided to pass them by and spend the time on something else.

I think that Kyubei is intentionally deceptive, if nothing else. Whether you view it as evil or "shooting the dog" is subjective to your own viewpoints, I guess...but when he says
(click to show/hide)
I think it hints at his true intentions, and him being aware that if he reveals the truth, he won't have any consenting volunteers.

Oh, I agree that Kyuubey is deceptive - it's only the moral background to that which I am trying to clarify.

And finally, for those who have seen Evangelion (or who haven't, I guess), what are your thought considering the plot similarity in RahXephon?

I don't know about RahXephon - should I?

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #208 on: 28 Oct 2012, 09:22 »

From Wikipedia: "RahXephon is a Japanese anime series about 17-year-old Ayato Kamina, his ability to control a mecha known as the RahXephon, and his inner journey to find a place in the world." So from that, you know it sounds pretty similar to Evangelion.

But... "The central elements of RahXephon's plot are music, time, archetypal mystery, intrigue and romance." Okay, we're branching out a bit from the trippy Kabbalah-esque elements of NGE...

And then we learn that
(click to show/hide)
and now it's starting to throw your brain for a loop.

That's as good as I can describe it without giving away SERIOUS plot spoilers, and not having seen it for about ten years.

All I can say is, I enjoyed it, even more than NGE.
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #209 on: 28 Oct 2012, 13:24 »

OK - it's on my list; after Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #210 on: 28 Oct 2012, 14:24 »

BWAaaaaaahhahaha....Another excellent choice. Okay, seriously, just one more to add to your list:

High School Boy and Literary Girl (AKA Daily Lives of High School Boys/男子高校生の日常/Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō)

I know, the title sounds inane, but it parodies itself, along with everything else in a typical high school slice-of-life series.
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #211 on: 31 Oct 2012, 07:53 »

what are your thought considering the plot similarity in RahXephon?

I just stumbled upon this comparison.

(It'll be a little while before I get to RahXephon myself, but I've got a copy now.)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #212 on: 31 Oct 2012, 21:54 »

An entire website...wow, someone has way to much time on their hands. XD At least I'm not the only one who sees the writing on the wall.
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #213 on: 01 Nov 2012, 16:10 »

The third film of Rebuild of Evangelion comes out (in Japan) in 10 days.  There have been a number of trailers around for a while, but here is a new one today:

At least one new EVA, another new pilot, and lots more...

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #214 on: 01 Nov 2012, 21:02 »

Wonder how long it will take fansubs to come out and how much drama it'll generate in the scene.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #215 on: 02 Nov 2012, 02:21 »

Another new girl:

This brings Shinji's potential harem up to four (five if you include Misato)

Three hands at the keyboard - Shinji and Kaworu are friends, I presume:

And those black keys are far too long!

A new EVA, fighting with a gun:

The children are all angry:

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #216 on: 02 Nov 2012, 06:29 »

Wait, Asuka has an eyepatch? Heh.

This brings Shinji's potential harem up to four (five if you include Misato)

Shinji is a girl in Misato's harem. I think that's one's pretty obvious.
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #217 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:17 »

Wait, Asuka has an eyepatch? Heh.

We saw that in the trailer at the end of the previous film, I think - certainly in the first separate trailer.  She got badly beaten up, but at least she survived. 

But she's going to get badly beaten up again:

Being Asuka sucks, I guess.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #218 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:33 »

Being Asuka is suffering?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #219 on: 03 Nov 2012, 03:49 »

what are your thought considering the plot similarity in RahXephon?

A little-observed relationship (not plot): One of the main classical music themes used in RahXephon is by Borodin (Gliding Dance of the Maidens, from the Polovetsian Dances in the opera Prince Igor); and Anno wanted the OP of Evangelion to be music from that same set of dances by Borodin, but was overruled on the grounds that it would be a step too far having classical music in the opening.

And for those who feel that RahXephon was copied from Evangelion, I offer:

Rebuild-Q trailer:

RahXephon, episode 7:
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2012, 09:53 by pwhodges »

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #220 on: 04 Nov 2012, 10:52 »

It's the same damn shogi piece, too...

Classical music fit in RhX because it was a prime theme of the plot...I suppose some nice religious hymns or Hebrew chants would fit into NGE.
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #221 on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:08 »

Kyuubey not evil?

Evil or not, Kyuubey tops my list of most hated anime characters of all time.  That damn
(click to show/hide)
cat thing.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #222 on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:28 »

Agreed. Creepy as hell...and I have fourteen cats, I should know.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #223 on: 11 Nov 2012, 18:24 »

Don't forget his auto-cannibalistic tendencies XD
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2012, 06:15 by Asterus »

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #224 on: 11 Nov 2012, 20:04 »

*shudder*

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #225 on: 12 Nov 2012, 10:56 »

Oh man that noise he makes when he swallows.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #226 on: 04 Dec 2012, 10:50 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #227 on: 04 Dec 2012, 12:21 »

'Cos I don't speak Japanese?

Have the first six minutes of Evangelion Q (3.0), excellently fan-dubbed into English (this section was broadcast on TV as a taster, and is not a significant spoiler for the rest of the film - the fan-dub omits the first minute which is just setting up atmosphere really).

You can get the whole clip with subs instead here.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #228 on: 04 Dec 2012, 14:41 »

Has anyone been watching Psycho-Pass?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #229 on: 04 Dec 2012, 15:11 »

I just came across this, which I thought was rather clever:

I used an image because it doesn't work nearly as well in white on black:

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

(Ooh, Firefox makes the eyes different sizes!)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2012, 15:15 by winfrith »

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #230 on: 04 Dec 2012, 17:45 »

That's one of my Go-to ASCII faces when I want to be fancy. Others include ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) and  (⌐■_■)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #231 on: 04 Dec 2012, 23:47 »

I'm currently watching Nichijou.  It's OK; but after watching a run of excellent anime, I am somewhat disappointed.  It seems to be trying to be a combination of Azumanga Daioh with FLCL wackiness - but has none of the sense of continuity and development that both of those have.  I like the music.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #232 on: 06 Dec 2012, 07:47 »

Nichijou kinda felt like someone wanted to try a variety of small skits, but didn't want to find a way to work them into an overarching plot. It kinda felt like what Lucky Star feels like in comparison to other Slice of Life series, only with even less continuity. Also: After taking a break from studying by making an AMV, I now have Y.Chang/Cristina Vee's cover of Hyadain no Kakakata Kataomoi stuck in my head XD

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #233 on: 08 Dec 2012, 10:32 »

Just went back and finished the last four episodes of Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) that I forgot to watch and fuck that music is so good.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #234 on: 08 Jan 2013, 14:07 »

Just finished watching Mirai Nikki. That series is dark. Like, really dark. Oddly enough, it still didn't feel like a dark series though. Though I guess it might have been because I somehow guessed the major plot twist really early on. Maybe I just watch many series that utilize a certain trope, and have come to recognize what's coming.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #235 on: 09 Jan 2013, 15:07 »

I'm watching Nichibros and it's great.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #236 on: 10 Jan 2013, 03:22 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #237 on: 10 Jan 2013, 05:55 »

I've watched a bit, and may carry on with it some time; but it hasn't gripped me enough to prevent me watching something else instead for a while.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #238 on: 10 Jan 2013, 06:00 »

WUT. Hokay, I HAVE to watch that now.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #239 on: 10 Jan 2013, 10:43 »

-snip-

WUT. Hokay, I HAVE to watch that now.

It's depressing...

Just watched the first episode of Tomako Market.
So much moe-chi.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2013, 11:17 by Yayniall »

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #240 on: 10 Jan 2013, 21:28 »

But boy, can he strut that stuff.
(click to show/hide)

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #241 on: 11 Jan 2013, 20:14 »

Just finished Sword Art Online over 2 days. God damn, that was what I had hoped .hack\\Roots would have been. ^.^

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #242 on: 16 Jan 2013, 09:01 »

Anyone here know Serial Experiments Lain?  I've just ordered a copy, and would be interested in people's views.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #243 on: 16 Jan 2013, 15:34 »

I like it a lot.  I did have to watch it twice to understand what was going on though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #244 on: 18 Jan 2013, 14:51 »

Thanks for that.  I've seen it get more widely varying reviews than most series, but the accounts of it interested me which is why I'm going for it.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #245 on: 18 Jan 2013, 14:59 »

I guarantee you'll at least be interested in the subject matter of the show.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #246 on: 22 Jan 2013, 21:01 »

Has anyone else seen Elfen Lied? Thoughts?
Worry Hat, Engage!

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #247 on: 23 Jan 2013, 08:39 »

It pretends to be mature, but really it's just goreporn spiced with random fetishes (like a grown woman with the mind of a 2-year-old and a penchant for grabbing breasts and pissing herself.)  I also associate it with dark and edgy teenagers who wear trench coats and fedoras.

Edit:  Also, I wish other people would post in this thread so that I wasn't every other post.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 08:44 by Cire27 »

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #248 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:10 »

When we previewed it in an Anime club, the person who recommended it prefaced it with "If you are completely fine with the first 5 minutes of the first episode, we shouldn't have any problems". We had problems.

ackblom12

« Reply #249 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:19 »

I think everyone should watch Redline. Psychodelic race car battles that start off with their vehicles being launched from orbit onto a planet of incompetent Robot Fascists? Yes please.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Up