THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355340 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #250 on: 23 Jan 2013, 10:06 »

I certainly enjoyed it, but almost equally certainly won't watch it again.  All fun, but no substance - not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ackblom12

« Reply #251 on: 23 Jan 2013, 10:08 »

Absolutely all fun and no substance at all, agreed.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #252 on: 23 Jan 2013, 18:10 »

Has anyone else seen Elfen Lied? Thoughts?

I loved Elfen Lied  :-D

Super gory and violent as hell but a really great anime!
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #253 on: 23 Jan 2013, 21:19 »

Has anyone else seen Elfen Lied? Thoughts?

I loved Elfen Lied  :-D

Super gory and violent as hell but a really great anime!

Thank you...I guess, judging by the earlier posts about it, that it's an acquired taste. *shrug*
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #254 on: 23 Jan 2013, 23:23 »

What Anno did first: I watched the whole of Gunbuster yesterday.  In spite of some rough edges (mainly unsatisfactory character design, which is also the main issue with the roughly contemporary Akira), it's a mighty impressive début both visually and in storytelling.  There are interesting features in the music, too, even though it's not the best aspect of the show.

It was in any case interesting to see a mecha show from that time, which I haven't before (I've not watched any Gundam, for instance).  It gave me a better appreciation of the parody in Gekigangar 3 (the show within the show in Martian Successor Nadesico) in particular.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #255 on: 23 Jan 2013, 23:41 »

Oh man, Nadesico? Wow...I remember that from WAAAAAY back.

...Sorry, I'm not sure I'm old enough to be in this thread. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #256 on: 23 Jan 2013, 23:51 »

It's nothing to do with age, in my case at least - I've only been watching anime for about eighteen months.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #257 on: 23 Jan 2013, 23:54 »

Oho, then you have some serious catching up to do, my friend.

Hmm....have you seen Record of Lodoss War? or Iria:Zeiram?
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #258 on: 24 Jan 2013, 00:02 »

Heh - never even seen the names before!

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #259 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:52 »

Oh man, I loved Gunbuster.  Did you watch the Science Lesson omake that go along with it?  Are you planning on watching Diebuster?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #260 on: 24 Jan 2013, 07:19 »

They're both waiting for the next window of opportunity. 

I've found that my copy of the last episode of Gunbuster is wrong - I have the version that is 4:3 and B/W to the end, and I gather the correct one is B/W widescreen (to give a "newsreel film" look), reverting to 4:3 colour at the end (this is downloading right now).

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #261 on: 24 Jan 2013, 07:51 »

My last episode of Gunbuster is in 4:3 but has color at the end, so I'm pretty confused.

Edit:  Well the video has letterboxes for the B/W parts but the video itself is definitely in 4:3.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #262 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:09 »

That's correct - my description was a bit off.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #263 on: 24 Jan 2013, 18:17 »

Re-watching both Vampire Hunter D movies (the original [1985], and Bloodlust [2000]).

Fukken' sweeeet.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #264 on: 28 Jan 2013, 17:03 »

Twelve Kingdoms is one that I have enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Emmyisnotcool

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #265 on: 01 Feb 2013, 18:54 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I've been watching "His and Her Circumstances." It's by the director of the NGE series, but I assumed it would be kind of like that only less fucked up. So far it's interesting and I can see the little touches that are similar to EVA.

Before that, I had started watching about the first dozen or so episodes of "You're Under Arrest" mostly because I had heard that it's portrayal of a trans woman was better than in a lot of other media. I'm not really sure about that though. I stopped watching because the treatment of Aoi was kind of really deplorable. I heard that she gets treated better and is more accepted as the show goes on, but I couldn't stand the other characters when they treated her so badly.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #266 on: 01 Feb 2013, 19:00 »

Has anyone here watched "Now and Then, Here and There" (今、そこにいる僕 Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku)?

Excellent in storyline, but not for the faint of heart, or the humorless.
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #267 on: 02 Feb 2013, 01:50 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I've been watching "His and Her Circumstances." It's by the director of the NGE series, but I assumed it would be kind of like that only less fucked up. So far it's interesting and I can see the little touches that are similar to EVA.

It peters out at the end, because it was stopped short over disagreements with the manga's writer; but up to then it's utterly delightful, and one of my favourites (as you'll note in some of my avatar images of Arima).  Actually, I think it's best as it is, because it does start to get a bit repetitious (even if realistically so), and frankly I find that the manga goes on far too long for its material.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #268 on: 02 Feb 2013, 06:52 »

Has anyone here watched "Now and Then, Here and There" (今、そこにいる僕 Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku)?

\

It's been in my backlog for over a year.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #269 on: 03 Feb 2013, 08:03 »

Been wanting to for awhile after a friend recommended it.  I need to get the anime flowing again!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #270 on: 04 Feb 2013, 16:43 »

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #271 on: 04 Feb 2013, 22:43 »

Recently it was shown to me how similar Perfect Blue and Black Swan are

Oh God....I can never look at that movie the same way again. Either one. Augh...... :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

DAMMIT ʇǝb the ʞɔnɟ out ɟo my pɐǝɥ!!! NURRRRRRRR X_X
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #272 on: 06 Feb 2013, 01:56 »

My last episode of Gunbuster is in 4:3 but has color at the end, so I'm pretty confused.
Edit:  Well the video has letterboxes for the B/W parts but the video itself is definitely in 4:3.

Just to out-nerd myself, I've sorted out four distinct versions of this last episode.

(1) The first DVD remasters included as an extra the development version of the last episode, in full 4:3 before it was letterboxed.  This also stays B/W to the end, and is missing the globe image behind the last part of the credits.  (It is clear that this was available for some later remastering, because the margins of the letterboxing vary slightly in the different versions.)

(2) The broadcast, VHS and first DVDs that were made from the VHS are in native 4:3, but with the image letterboxed.  The image switches to colour when they eject from Gunbuster, but stays letterboxed until the globe fades up behind the final credits in full 4:3.  (Western versions of this have hard subtitles, even on the DVD; I've got one from Hong Kong with soft subtitles, but it's only marginally clear that they are in English!)

(3) The first DVD remastering presented the episode the same, but cut down to native 16:9.  The end credits were not modified, so when the globe fades up the top and bottom are cut off.

(4) The BluRay remastering (I'm looking at the Gunbuster vs Diebuster movie version) is also presented in native 16:9, with the earlier episodes having black bars at the sides.  Again, it stays in 16:9 to the end, but this time the globe that fades up behind the credits has been reduced in size to fit within the restricted frame height; this matches the similar image at the end of Diebuster, which of course was always in 16:9.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #273 on: 06 Feb 2013, 14:24 »

Hmm...  The BD remasters I have (that have the new audio) also have the Earth cut at the credits.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #274 on: 06 Feb 2013, 14:40 »

I think the films are a re-remaster; but in spite of the amount of cutting necessary the last episode of Gunbuster is included absolutely complete.  If you have a BD of the series (which seems to be really silly money to get hold of, which is why I haven't), I suppose that must have been taken from the DVD remaster (the one where they changed the music in the first episode).

(later) Oh, and the film remastering is the only one I've seen where the subtitles for the "WELCOME BACK" message have the "K" reversed to match the reversed letter in the Japanese (a minimal indication of changes that have happened during the time skip).
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2013, 00:32 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #275 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:36 »

I just finished Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary) yesterday. I enjoyed it. The art and design is gorgeous; but although the overall arch of the story works out quite well, I was uncomfortable with the ineffectiveness of most of the characters at crucial points - basically, in almost every episode one or other character just chickens out of killing another that is completely at their mercy, and it feels as if the writers had to do that to keep the story on the road but couldn't really think of a justification within the script. Yukki getting decisive was a bit sudden as well, but I didn't so much mind that. Oh, and the jokey bit with Murmur at the end of each episode got a bit tedious once it left off describing the recruitment of some of the diary-holders.

Starting on Serial Experiments Lain now.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #276 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:40 »

It was interesting watching everything up til the final 4 in the survival game, in that I found pretty much every character had enough of a backstory and enough character traits to justify being main protagonists themselves, with the exception of Yukki (I couldn't decide if he reminded me more of Shinji from Evangelion or Hope from FF13). It did sort of get needlessly complicated near the end, when Yukki took his inevitable level in badass after BSOD'ing. Which is fine, because I like needlessly complicated.

As for the hesitancy in actually killing their opponents, it seemed to me that with the exception of 7th's seizures of First's and Second's phones without killing them, most people acted in a justified way. Remember, with the exception of second, third, sixth, ninth, and maybe eleventh. Tenth seemed out of place in that regard, but then again he didn't get much screentime. Aside from those, everyone else was a civilian and less likely to outright murder people at the first opportunity, even if they were aiming to become god and fix it anyway.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2013, 05:26 by Asterus »
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #277 on: 12 Feb 2013, 13:14 »

Seems like this week is the week I try and get back into my backlog. Planning to try getting into To Aru Majutsu no Index again, maybe Infinite Stratos, and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

On the subject of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, I'd say it's a mark of good writing if the absurdity of the cringe-worthy lines are delivered in a setting in such a way that they actually do make me want to cringe, even though they wouldn't seem out of place in almost any other situation.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #278 on: 12 Feb 2013, 14:54 »

most people acted in a justified way.

The most blatant fumbled opportunity, I felt, was when Yukki had the eighth and the eleventh trapped in the car at the end of his gun, not so long after he'd finally got determined to win, and Aru Akise was in the far distance approaching on a motorbike.  So they stood there saying: "oh dear he's coming to stop us doing this" while he was actually still far too far away to do anything.  It just seemed wrong dramatically.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #279 on: 12 Feb 2013, 15:17 »

Oh yeah, add that to the list. Especially right after he had no issue of gunning down eighth's followers earlier.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #280 on: 13 Feb 2013, 06:06 »

To be fair, it'd be pretty hard to shoot something that looks like this:

(click to show/hide)

Edit:  Guess I'll spoiler this since it may, well, be a spoiler.  (Despite the fact that we've spoiled a lot more in this thread already.)
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2013, 11:19 by Cire27 »

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #281 on: 13 Feb 2013, 07:11 »

That's why I just refer to people by their number :P And considering first was planning to just fix everything later and had already shot a lot of eighth's followers minutes beforehand, it seemed like he could have easily done it.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #282 on: 15 Feb 2013, 14:36 »

I just finished Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary) yesterday. I enjoyed it. The art and design is gorgeous; but although the overall arch of the story works out quite well, I was uncomfortable with the ineffectiveness of most of the characters at crucial points - basically, in almost every episode one or other character just chickens out of killing another that is completely at their mercy, and it feels as if the writers had to do that to keep the story on the road but couldn't really think of a justification within the script. Yukki getting decisive was a bit sudden as well, but I didn't so much mind that. Oh, and the jokey bit with Murmur at the end of each episode got a bit tedious once it left off describing the recruitment of some of the diary-holders.

Starting on Serial Experiments Lain now.

Lain is strange, but definitely interesting and worth the watch.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #283 on: 15 Feb 2013, 15:55 »

Yes - I'll be watching Lain again for sure.  I'm also going to try the others from the same source: Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze (which I gather is tough to watch). 

Meanwhile, for a break, I'm watching Girls und Panzer - using the sensible subtitles, not the half-German ones which, if not actually offensive, are definitely in poor taste, and in any case don't reflect anything that is part of the original.  Anyway, the show is pure brainless fluff, but rather delightfully done I have to admit.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #284 on: 15 Feb 2013, 18:28 »

So, uhm, High School of the Dead...

I just...

Wow.

And did the series end at the end of the 12th episode?  Because I can't tell if that's game over or to be continued.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #285 on: 15 Feb 2013, 18:52 »

I have only watched the first episode of High School of the Dead...I need my fix, I need more O__O

I do not wish to be disappointed. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #286 on: 15 Feb 2013, 19:59 »

It's entirely possible that the story does continue in a way that allows for another season, but there's no budget for it. Then again, considering the cast and the opportunity for Merch, it's unlikely. Either they just don't want to make another season or it's in development hell. Either way, it's entirely possible that the cryptic plot hook in the first episode will never be explained.

Still love the super-sonic jiggle physics. Those who have seen it, you know what I'm talking about. Those who haven't, are you really surprised?

Edit: Yeah, the manga's kinda... stopped. From what I can see, it stopped almost two years ago, and there doesn't seem to have been a conclusive ending.

Also, just watched Fairy Tail 169. It's rather amusing to leave off on a cliffhanger battle, only to loudly announce a completely different matchup as the title of the next episode.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #287 on: 16 Feb 2013, 07:45 »

According to google, the HotD manga is supposed to continue in spring of this year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-09/highschool-of-the-dead-manga-return-slated-for-spring

ackblom12

« Reply #288 on: 16 Feb 2013, 07:53 »

I tried to watch High School of the Dead, but the constant panty shots and jiggling boob physics completely turned me off of it. It and examples like it are one of the reasons of why I don't get more into anime than I have and instead rely almost entirely on suggestions from people I know with similar tastes. Of course this is completely ignoring that exploitation and old horror films are things I enjoy. There is also a reason why I don't participate in the community for either though.

I really need to sit down and start on the various Gundam series. I wanna get it on with some Sci-Fi colonialism and xenophobia war stories.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2013, 08:12 by ackblom12 »

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #289 on: 16 Feb 2013, 10:52 »

The fanservice in HotD is pretty ridiculous.

If you're going to watch the original Gundam series I'd recommend watching the three compilation movies.  Cuts out of lot of the pointless filler and improves some of the really bad animations.  The only really bad Gundam show I've watched was Double Zeta.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2013, 10:59 by Cire27 »

ackblom12

« Reply #290 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:10 »

I watched Wing when I was in my teens, but I figure I should rewatch it at some point as well. Also, thanks for the tip on the movies for the original series. Are there any specific Gundam series that anyone would recommend I just avoid altogether?

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #291 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:26 »

Like I said, Double Zeta is pretty awful.  Zeta Gundam is great though.  If you ever want to watch a good 100+ episode space opera there's always Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Edit:  There's also a remake of Space Battleship Yamato that is airing right now that is apparently really good, but I haven't gotten around to watching any of it.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2013, 11:34 by Cire27 »

ackblom12

« Reply #292 on: 16 Feb 2013, 12:00 »

The Space Battleship Yamato remake is definitely on my list of things to watch.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #293 on: 16 Feb 2013, 12:42 »

I just misread that as "Space Battleship Tomato" and it amused me greatly.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #294 on: 16 Feb 2013, 12:57 »

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #295 on: 17 Feb 2013, 03:50 »

Yes - I'll be watching Lain again for sure.  I'm also going to try the others from the same source: Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze (which I gather is tough to watch). 

Meanwhile, for a break, I'm watching Girls und Panzer - using the sensible subtitles, not the half-German ones which, if not actually offensive, are definitely in poor taste, and in any case don't reflect anything that is part of the original.  Anyway, the show is pure brainless fluff, but rather delightfully done I have to admit.

I haven't seen Texhnolyze yet, but Haibanei Renmei is definitely one of my favorite anime.  I watched it not knowing what to expect, it starts off slowly but after a couple episodes I just kept watching until I finished it.  Highly recommended!

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #296 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:35 »

It and examples like it are one of the reasons of why I don't get more into anime than I have and instead rely almost entirely on suggestions from people I know with similar tastes.

My general approach is honestly to go by aesthetics or the frequency in which I run into the series. It generally works. Generally (Kinda glaring at Yosuga no Sora and Kanokon though)
Granted, it probably only works as well because I end up on a lot of nightcore videos, and thus certain characters make frequent appearances, but whatever.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #297 on: 17 Feb 2013, 09:27 »

Kanokon

This may be the worst show I've ever seen.  There are a lot of shit harem anime out there but this one may take the cake in my opinion.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #298 on: 17 Feb 2013, 18:11 »

I know XD Apparently, it's WORSE in the manga...

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #299 on: 18 Feb 2013, 05:52 »

So, they're making a new Ghost in the Shell.

Cast:

PV:

Edit:  Does the youtube embed not work?
(fixed for you; the v parameter has to come first - Paul)
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2013, 06:25 by pwhodges »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Up