THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355490 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #350 on: 22 Apr 2013, 15:23 »

I'll second Gargantia, I think it's going to end up being the stand out of the season for me with it's unique world, solid animation and extremely enjoyable characters.
Attack on Titan is kinda annoying me with a VERY slow set up. It's a 26 episode series though I believe so I'm hoping it's going to pay out the long set up time in spades later. The OP Crimson Bow and Arrows is freaking AWESOME too.

stuff from this season I'm enjoying:

Mushinbugyo is decent enough to keep my attention, but it's pretty standard issue giant insect fighting samurai stuff so far.

Sparrow's Hotel appears to be a collection of 3 minute shorts with a lower quality animation style, interesting characters and decent humor if you have a taste for the absurd. It's about what you'd expect if you stuck a busty ninja girl into a job as a hotel front desk worker.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU - Rom Com that goes heavy on the snark? Yes please. Even if you do want to strangle the male and female leads for being pretentious idiots now and then.

Red Data Girl sounds like fun! but I haven't gotten around to an episode yet

On another note, I've also been watching Oriemo on and off, it's got some squicky edges but it's interesting how it has a duel level set up to explore the various tropes related to Otaku and dating sim games... while at the same time using them in the anime's over arching plot with the main character. Not for everyone... me included.

Oh and it's OP for season 1 at least is done by Claris, which can only be a positive thing.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #351 on: 24 Apr 2013, 04:57 »

I was initially interested in the Rebuild of Evangelion until I saw some of the changes in the second one.  And then after seeing the very end of 2.0 I became interested again as it seemed that this might not be as much a retelling as I thought.  After seeing the expanded trailers for 3 and 4 I've become quite excited as some of the scenes reminded me of some Evangelion themed dreams I've had. 

I heard that the last part is supposed to hit theaters by the end of this year but I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are.  :-\

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #352 on: 24 Apr 2013, 05:16 »

Before the release of Q / 3.0 that published projection was that Final / 4.0 would be before the end of this year.  That projection has been removed, and can now be presumed to be wrong.  On the other hand, the startlingly fast release of the BD/DVD of Q suggests a desire to keep things moving more than previously, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Final arrive in the earlier part of 2014.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #353 on: 24 Apr 2013, 09:14 »

Oh man oh man.  I'm so excited for these fansubs to get released so I can finally watch Q.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #354 on: 24 Apr 2013, 09:20 »

I've watched it by running the subbed camrip in synch on the other screen just for the subtitles (and to see the subtle changes in the new version) - I won't merge them till some better ones are out, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ackblom12

« Reply #355 on: 25 Apr 2013, 18:03 »

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #356 on: 25 Apr 2013, 19:30 »

I remember watching a preview of that or something very similar a while back.  It's basically a prequel to Nausicaa, right?

ackblom12

« Reply #357 on: 25 Apr 2013, 21:04 »

Yeah, set approximately 1,000 years before hand.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #358 on: 25 Apr 2013, 22:58 »

Sweet!  Must watch!  :-o

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #359 on: 25 Apr 2013, 23:33 »

It precedes Q on the Eva 3.33 BD/DVD, just as it did in the cinema release.  I've not seen subs for it yet (no one published a camrip of it to work on), and I have no idea whether the upcoming new subs for Q from UTW will include it.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #360 on: 26 Apr 2013, 10:32 »

For some completely random reason, I went ahead and rewatched the Ghost Stories dub. I'd forgotten how amusing it was.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #361 on: 26 Apr 2013, 12:11 »

As far as I know, we're only waiting on the encoding work to be done for UTW's release.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #362 on: 26 Apr 2013, 13:04 »

They're suckers for quality, it seems - they've had the 1080 video encode running for nearly two days, it seems.  The 720 will take another day after that.  The subs themselves had finished QC this morning (Europe time).

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #363 on: 26 Apr 2013, 13:25 »

You can never tell with fansub groups until their stuff actually comes out.  I'm sure there will be a ton more encodes released with their subs eventually.

Encode: Just 4-5 hours left on the 1080p raw now. 720p raw after that.

Pretty damn excited.  I wish I knew how to set up automatic downloads for this kind of thing.

Edit:  And it's out!
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2013, 06:00 by Cire27 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #364 on: 28 Apr 2013, 11:59 »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-28/girls-and-panzer-anime-gets-2014-film-new-ova-fan-disk

Girls und Panzer getting a film and an OVA with the Anzio battle in 2014.

Yesssssssssssssssssss give me more cute girls driving WW2 armor!

Do you think the collegiate league of tank warfare drives Cold War era tanks? Is there a free for all every year based on the Fulda Gap? Actually that's a fairly brilliant idea, each college submits a unit and is assigned red or blue. Operation REFORGER is a four day combat exercise that tests participating teams combat and operational skills in the field. Team work at the "group", school and individual crew level is vital to victory in the Fulda Gap.

I'd also like to see a U.S. Marines based force in the future, amphibious landings baby!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #365 on: 07 Jun 2013, 16:26 »

If anyone here hasn't watched The Tatami Galaxy and is it all interested in absurdism in anime then I suggest that you check it out.  I'm terrible at synopsis so I'll just quote some site.

We watch an unnamed protagonist live his university years over and over again with different 'what if?' beginnings to each - trying to find which choices will allow him to achieve a perfect college life.

It also has pretty good music.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #366 on: 08 Jun 2013, 03:12 »

Speaking of absurdism: I apologize if this was already mentioned here, but I really enjoy Yakitate Japan (TvTropes link). It's an anime about... bread. Making bread in that universe is SeriousBusiness and there are tournaments with lots of audience, fandom and everything.

It is downright hilarious (and also somewhat educational. Did you know that allergy to dairy is usually triggered by alpha S1-casein? Neither did I before watching it.)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #367 on: 09 Jun 2013, 00:46 »

For absurd I just went through some of Kemeko DX... it's free on crunchy roll and I... fuck it I don't quite know what happened there.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #368 on: 09 Jun 2013, 05:52 »

Isn't it just some generic harem show?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #369 on: 09 Jun 2013, 10:23 »

Nope. Not at all. There's only two girls tops and... yeah. It's more in the same vein as FLCL then anything else.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #370 on: 09 Jun 2013, 10:33 »

Ah, well maybe I'll watch it.  Everything I've read about it just says that the characters are awful.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #371 on: 09 Jun 2013, 12:11 »

That is valid criticism.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #372 on: 13 Jun 2013, 05:32 »

I've been neglecting this thread.  So what have I watched in the last few weeks?  (These notes are taken from another site where I made my comments in a timely manner - I hope they've remained coherent in the adaptation.)

Chu-2, or to give it's full English name: Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions

(As of this paragraph) I've watched 8/12 episodes of Chu-2, and am enjoying it to an improbable extent.  Around ep3 I started seeing Yuuta as Kyon (without the snark) to Rikka's Haruhi, and loving him for it.  Rikka is, as intended I suppose, really irritating; but the beginnings of a romantic attachment between her and Yuuta is being very well handled, the slowness and uncertainty adding realism to what could just be something conventional.

(A later post:) So I finished Chu-2.  The main show, that is; I haven't watched the introductory Lite episodes or the Depth of Field bonus episodes yet - I may come back to then another time.

As I said before, I've been enjoying this a lot, and I continued to enjoy it up to the end.  But I did find myself getting a bit confused in the last episode.  The story seemed to be taking the line that youthful delusions should be left behind in order to move forward, and so that Rikka, in particular, could accept the death of her father and also open up to a relationship with Yuuta.  But then Yuuta is persuaded that Rikka should be allowed to keep her delusions, and maybe to grow out of them naturally, rather than having them forced out of her.  This seemed a curious reversal, and at first seemed more like a blatant hook to enable a second series to go over much of the same ground (we shall see, of course). 

But after some thought I decided that there might also be a translation issue - which is why I gave the full title above.  "Delusions", to my mind are things you believe which are false; restoring delusions which you have been persuaded of the falseness of just seems wrong.  But then I thought, what if the intended meaning is "fantasy"?  In that case, I could much more easily see an enhanced sense of fantasy as something which can well be accepted as part of a normal childhood - but this hadn't occurred to me immediately, as not only the title, but the subs throughout, used the stronger word "delusions".  I'm not sure if the ending pushes it down from A- to B+, but I'll call it A- for now and see if that sticks.

Next up was [C]: Control - The Money of Soul and Possibility

(After the first episode I wrote:)  The first episode nearly lost me at the beginning, because some character designs seemed unpleasant, and the action really arbitrary; but about halfway through it settled down into telling a real story which will at least get me back for another episode.  Some of the animation seems very lazy, though.

(Later:)  I came to the end of [C]: Control - The Money of Soul and Possibility.  What a crazy name that is!  I can't even work out what it's really meant to signify; but no matter.

I watched the greater part subbed, but then the last few episodes dubbed (and now I'm going back over the earlier ones that way) now I have the disks.  I comment on this for a couple of reasons.  It confirms to me that I simply find it a lot easier to follow things when I don't have to divide my visual attention - when I was younger, this might not have been such a problem, but for me it's a real issue.  I don't have any strong views on sub or dub in the abstract - it's just a matter of practicality for me, and the sound of the voices is not something that usually distracts me from the work as a whole.  Indeed, I generally listen to opera in the original language.  This also happens to be the first time I've found myself actually comparing the Japanese and English voice acting; and to my ears the English was as good, and in the crucial case of Kimimaro actually better as his character seemed to come more alive, though I guess that might be a change towards the end of the series in any case.

While I'm on mere technicalities, I can also say that my misgivings over the animation itself got left by the wayside.  Not because it became perfect, but because any problems were insufficient to trouble me again, nor to distract from the scenes that were really good to watch.  Of the major character designs, I found Kimimaro's somewhat less satisfactory than the others; strangely this seemed related to the fact that his eyes are more markedly "Asian" looking (in terms of Western conventions of depicting them) than is usual in anime - I hope this doesn't come over as offensive, because it's not meant to be.

Something else I discovered was that this show divides Internet critics more widely anything else I've checked out.  This appears to relate to the way that critics are viewing it, and perhaps how they view anime in general.  Some people can watch a show with open minds, and try to absorb what the writers are trying to put across, perhaps as a fable, a metaphor for life even.  Others try to root what they are watching in their experience, or in their naturally incomplete knowledge of the world, and find it hard to understand if they don't match up.  Everyone knows that mechas or fabulous monsters are imaginary, and so can deal with them; but suddenly here's a show full of economic terms and ideas which to most people feel familiar but not precisely understood.  Some people can go with the flow and just "get it"; but others try to understand, but when they find that the show's economics are not the same as the real thing, they feel let down, and brand it a failure.

How about, I stop this waffling and actually say something about [C], you may say.  Fair enough.  Well, I enjoyed it a lot.  You don't need to understand more than simply the criticism of the reliance on debt as the basis for any economic system, and of the preference in institutions for short-term planning over long-term, to get the main idea of the show.  Kimimaro's ponderings on these matters, and his discussions with Mikuni, and later Sato, are hardly Earth-shattering, but get the points over perfectly well.  The fights (calling them deals doesn't obscure what they are) are well done, and the assets nicely varied.  There are some oddities in how the assets are handled: if the asset represents the entre's future, how is it possible to have more than one (Mikuni has Q and Aurore), or for the ownership of one to be transferred (George is passed from the dying Sato to Kimimaro)?  Doesn't quite make sense - but doesn't really matter much either.  There are also loose ends - such as the transfer of George not being made any further use of.  The show is also essentially devoid of romance; the interest in kissing that Msyu (Kimimaro's asset) develops could have been made the hook for just a little romantic fan-service, but in the end, when Kimimaro does kiss her, we don't even see it, because both their bodies are at the top of the screen with the heads off the top!

So, was the end satisfying (another common criticism!)?  Well actually, yes.  It works just fine for me, at any rate.  There are sufficient hooks left to enable another series to be made, but I think to do so would be a mistake; it could only really rehash the same ideas, which would become less compelling for that very reason.

So, a good show, and one I'll want to watch again sometime.  A straight A from me, though you might want to make it an A- if the occasional flaws in the animation annoy you.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #373 on: 13 Jun 2013, 05:42 »

Incidentally, Funimation have announced their (hardly surprising) acquisition of rights for Evangelion 3.33.  What seems to some more than a little careless, though, is that their announcement includes a brief summary of the plot including a HUGE spoiler.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #374 on: 15 Jun 2013, 00:14 »

Check this link out anime brethren for it is made of awesome: http://goldenani.blogspot.co.nz

In other news I just finished Black Lagoon and I think it might be my favorite thing ever. Deep questions, existentialism, John Woo esque gun plain, and the lead female is a pistol wielding psychotic badass in short shorts. It doesn't get much more freaking awesome then that!

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #375 on: 15 Jun 2013, 09:41 »

Did you watch the second season and the OVA?

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #376 on: 15 Jun 2013, 16:12 »

Did you watch the second season and the OVA?
GM's Reaction.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #377 on: 15 Jun 2013, 21:04 »

I sometimes forget there was a second season. I ended up powering through both in an anime club, so it's one big season for me. Also, I think this is the first time I've seen Chuunibyou go by the name Chu2. I've spent too much time in a group that simply shortens the original names XD (Higurashi (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni), Anohana (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai), Chuunibyou (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!), Oreimo (Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #378 on: 16 Jun 2013, 07:12 »

Yeah I think of Black Lagoon as one season and forget that The Second Barrage is technically separate, not that it matters after it's aired.

Asterus in your defense for Oreimo at least, it's listed on Crunchy Roll and a lot of other places as Oreimo, including Japanese advertising in Akiba. I've only seen "Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai" on "My Anime List" in the west, and some ads and posters in Japan.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #379 on: 16 Jun 2013, 07:33 »

Chuunibyou is shortened from its original name just with a little bit of wordplay thrown in.  Chuuni > Chu2.

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #380 on: 16 Jun 2013, 17:44 »

I generally haven't watched much, if any, anime since i was 16 (lack of interest and time) but recent discovery of the works of Hayao Miyazaki, Hideaki Anno, and a few classics (mostly thanks to a few friends of mine who are into anime and films) has rekindled my interest.

So, aside from a few relatively recent anime (SAO and SnK) i've also been watching a couple old-school Gainax animes. Recently finished "Gunbuster" and while i was admittedly a bit dissapointed at first, it eventually grew up to surpass all possible expectations... And some impossible ones too. Seriously one of the best animes i've seen.

I also started watching "Nadia: The secret of Blue Water" and althought there are a few things i don't like about the series so far (namely, the animation quality, althought that might just be due to the contrast of starting this TV series right after the Gunbuster OVAs) the direction, originality, characters and writing of the series is pretty much perfect. Didn't think that Gainax could properly make a light-spirited adventure anime but i'm glad to have been proven wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #381 on: 16 Jun 2013, 23:22 »

Just be prepared for the way that Nadia goes pear-shaped during the "island arc".

As for Gainax and light-hearted, wait till you get to FLCL - though it's a very different kind of light-heartedness, admittedly.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #382 on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:42 »

Just be prepared for the way that Nadia goes pear-shaped during the "island arc".

Why, whatever do you mean?

<mod>reduced image size and rehosted image to speed up loading<mod>
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2013, 11:53 by pwhodges »

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #383 on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:46 »

Alternatively:

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #384 on: 20 Jun 2013, 18:25 »

Haha, man. I heard that the Island arc was really bad, but even so that was a surprise. In any case, i made the decision to skip the vast majority of the island arc so i won't have to suffer throught it, or at least not in my first watch.

On topic: I watched "School Days".

Yeah. In a way this really is as bad as they say. Unlike most people, i didn't really hate Makoto because... Well, what can you expect from such a useless manchild? It's no surprise that he is unconcerned with anything that isn't pleasing him. Curiously the only time where he passed the point from useless retard to asshole whose death i was indifferent to was in the last two episodes where he inexplicably stops giving a shit (specially regarding Kotonoha and Sekai) and completely loses it. More than anything, though, the show made me sad. It made me sad because of all the thing most female characters suffered (Sekai and Kotonoha specially even if they played a great hand in their own undoing, but actually most of the female suffer some degree of horrible fate), but overall it made me sad because it was such a dull show... It isn't so much that School Days is terrible (i kinda liked the base/premise of the initial dynamic between Makoto and Sekai and their growing romance, in fact) but rather that there is absolutely nothing good about it. The animation and art are unremarkable and uninspired, the writing is just... ugh, and the story really seemed to have no freaking idea where it was going, first trying to be ironic about itself and then getting lost in some ham-fisted drama that got increasingly ridiculous culminating in the now infamous ending.

Oh well, at least the fan-service shots were fun even if a bit displeasing/uncomfortable in a mysoginistic way.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #385 on: 21 Jun 2013, 07:46 »

Well, there's one half of the mainstream trolling in regards to anime down. Now you have to watch Boku no Pico  :angel:
From what I've heard, School Days was pretty much a generic eroge setup, except everyone goes Ax Crazy when the plot started slowing down? I considered watching it/trying out the game, but I do have other things that are almost certainly far more rewarding to get to.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #386 on: 21 Jun 2013, 08:16 »

Generic eroge adaptation where they chose a Bad Route to shock watchers for publicity.  Also this,

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #387 on: 21 Jun 2013, 08:25 »

Geez, and my old standard for low points used to be just "Takes the boring/predictable canon route and loses most of the interesting story" (Or "Tsukihime'd it" for short) Taking the bad end? That's just cruel and unusual.

Although, that said, I can't stop thinking about how hilarious it would be if Katawa Shoujo got an adaptation and it ended on the Kenji End around episode 3.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #388 on: 22 Jun 2013, 08:54 »

To be fair, I think School Days has a lot of deaths and/or fucked up things happening in a lot of the other endings too.\

Speaking of Tsukihime, I've only read the manga (which I enjoyed).  Is the anime/game any good?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #389 on: 22 Jun 2013, 13:13 »

If you like dating sim based games, Photo Kano is airing on Crunchy Roll right now and it's a pretty solid example of the genre, there's a little face palmtastic material in there but it's pretty good for a slice of anime I normally despise. The first half of the season is the "main arc" following generic protagonist X-C347 and the lead heroine, and then the rest of the routes get an episode apiece. The stand alone eps feel a little under powered after the lead heroine's arc, but they still manage to cram in the highlights of a cute little relationship.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #390 on: 22 Jun 2013, 13:44 »

Photokano falls into the same trap that Little Busters did of not being very good.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #391 on: 22 Jun 2013, 15:50 »

The Dangan Ronpa anime is coming out soon and I'm pretty excited.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #392 on: 23 Jun 2013, 00:33 »

Valvrave is killing me man.

(click to show/hide)

In other news, the Black Lagoon OVA Roberta's Blood Trail is fucking awesome.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #393 on: 23 Jun 2013, 10:18 »

The Dangan Ronpa anime is coming out soon and I'm pretty excited.

This is gonna be great.

GarandMarine have you watched Jormungand?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #394 on: 23 Jun 2013, 11:04 »

I haven't Cire, what is it?

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #395 on: 23 Jun 2013, 15:34 »

(click to show/hide)

How very Biblical..
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #396 on: 23 Jun 2013, 18:47 »

Speaking of Tsukihime, I've only read the manga (which I enjoyed).  Is the anime/game any good?

Anime is not. Which is sad, considering good versions of Fate/Stay exist. The game is... alright if you get the clean version. It is literally the full with the porn cut out, and next to none of it is missed. There is maybe one scene that was important, and it centered on whether or not you wanted an auto-dead end by molesting Arc earlier?

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #397 on: 25 Jun 2013, 06:45 »

To be fair the Fate/stay night anime is pretty bad.  Fate/zero on the other hand...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #398 on: 25 Jun 2013, 06:54 »

I've just watched the first three episodes of Revolutionary Girl Utena, and I'm fascinated.  It's so different from anything else I've watched (and having for some reason seen the film first didn't prepare me for what the series is like, either).

As I had noticed with the film, there is a clearly dated visual style, which reminds me of Martian Successor Nadesico from around the same date.  What I hadn't expected is how little actual animation there is; the bulk of the show is more like cardboard cutouts being moved around (like the cardboard theatre I played with as a child).  The settings are highly stylised, even before considering the framing of scenes with roses, and the like.  And then there's the pacing.  My, but it's slow!  But that doesn't matter - perhaps stately would be a better word.  In any case, it has the knack of proceeding at just the right pace, producing the balanced effect of a formal dance - a baroque galliard, perhaps.  The story, of course, has hardly started at this point, and the main characters are still being introduced.  I don't yet have a handle on whether Utena's sexuality is a crucial element of the story or just a bit of colouring in the background.  Anyway, it's got me really curious to see how this style of story-telling will hold up over a whole 39 episodes.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #399 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:51 »

I'm looking forward to Dangan Ronpa and to Kimi no Iru Machi. Probably a few more I'll be watching.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23   Go Up