THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355351 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #400 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:55 »

I won't knock it if you're enjoying it but I honestly hated Utena. The psychological themes were kinda interesting but the stock images alone just kinda drove me up the wall. I made it seven episodes in and decided to call it a day.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #401 on: 25 Jun 2013, 09:35 »

I remember Utena being worth it just for the music.

Oh totally missed this.

I haven't Cire, what is it?

I'll just quote wikipedia here:
The series follows Koko Hekmatyar, a young arms dealer who sells weapons under HCLI, an international shipping corporation that secretly deals in the arms trade. As one of the company's unofficial weapon dealers, she secretly sells weapons in many countries while avoiding the local authorities and law enforcement agencies as most of her work is actually illegal under international law. Traveling with her is her team of bodyguards who are mostly composed of ex-military veterans. Her latest addition to her crew is Jonah, a seemingly emotionless child soldier who is skilled in combat yet ironically hates arms dealers. What follows is Koko and her crew's escapades around the world.

The first season is good and the second is even better.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2013, 09:40 by Cire27 »
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #402 on: 30 Jun 2013, 00:30 »

So a bunch of anime is over for this season already, so it lets me stagger a season wrap up. Or half season wrap up rather.

Season 1 of Valvrave: It went places I didn't expect and went there fairly well. Really wish they'd just went ahead with a full 24 episode arc instead of dividing it up over two seasons. I really hated E12's flash forward, and Saki's a bad liar. That is all.

Muromi-San on the Shore: Probably my favorite "surprise of the season". While it's wackiness was so dense as to require theoretical wackiness physics to fully begin to comprehend the episodes were short enough that it didn't wear out it's welcome.

Sparrow's Hotel: Another wacky anime, I was honestly disappointed in the short run time and short season. The characters were a lot of fun and the set up was well executed. They crammed a surprising amount of material into the 3 minute episodes.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: Also not /quite/ done. The main arc is over but there's a true blue "bonus episode" that will pop up on CR in a couple days. However I really enjoyed this one. The main duo of Hachiman and Yukino are both actually really enjoyable to watch as they interact with their more social peers, getting peeks at Yukino's inner motivations and method, and of course getting a chance to dig into Hachiman's psychology heavy inner monologue is pretty interesting and the show is not without potential /actual/ insight. Good marks across the board.

Photo Kano: I'm considering this one done. There's another episode coming out but it seems like it's a "bonus" episode as Ep 12 had a little recap/conclusion thing at the end... and it's a remaining arc that is just down right squicky. The main heroine's six episode arc was pretty damn good imho, and the one episode mini arcs for the remaining heroines were also decent with one or two that just felt a bit weak. Could have stood to have been a bit longer, maybe enough to give each arc two episodes at least. Another surprise as I'm usually not a big fan of H game based anime.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuff I just started:
Jormungand, child soldiers are squicky even to a moral leper with minimal appreciation for the value of human life or childhood innocence like me, but it's pretty damn good. Good recommendation, thanks Cire! (side note Sophia Valmet? Hot. Dammnit. Where are the bad ass commando women in this "real world" thing I keep hearing about?)

Want to know what else is good?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Holy. Fucking. Monkey Balls. I lack words. Go torrent it now. You can feel justified in stealing it because the IP rights holders only release the massive content on a "complete" DVD edition that runs for over $3000. They also don't do releases outside of Japan. Because they'd have to stop selling their content for roughly 300,000 yen. This is truly a Space Opera in every sense of the term (right down to the gorgeous classical music... all suspiciously in the public domain, but well played and timed any way) and even does a lot of things I hate in light scifi "righter" then most such series. For example fighters have maneuvering thrusters instead of freaking FLAPS, and while they move a little better then an actual space craft, they aren't hooking and jabbing like an F-22 who's pilot just did a triple shot of espresso before being turned loose on a squadron of MiGs. The MASSIVE (fleets are composed of thousands of "ships of the line" sized vessels.) space battles are also conducted with three dimensional maneuvering in mind... to a limited extent, but it's still bettter then most. Lots of character drama, politics, and tactical thinking/skill that would make Lelouche green with envy.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #403 on: 30 Jun 2013, 08:51 »

I fucking love LotGH but holy shit is it the slowest anime in existence.

(click to show/hide)

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #404 on: 11 Jul 2013, 14:41 »

New stuff for the new season:

Stella Women’s Academy, High School Division Class C3 - aka Girls und Airsoft
Nothing groundbreaking, somewhere between K-on and GuP. Nice smooth jazz in the battle at the end of the first episode and a few smatterings of hilarity

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! - aka Watamote
Awkward girl doing awkward things! Girl attempts to use high school to learn how to be cute and popular. Based on the amazing manga. Definitely most exciting series so far (after 1 ep)

Danganronpa
Based on the videogame, big cast of strange characters, trapped in a school, with a bear thingy, have to kill each other to get out. Looks pretty nice so far.

Servant x Service
Something a bit different, anime about civil servants working in a town's ward office. Different enough setting, first episode didn't blow me away though, interesting to see where they go with the characters.

Monogatari second series
Continuation of Bakemonogatari. Arty fanservice ho!

might do more detailed write ups after second episodes

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #405 on: 12 Jul 2013, 00:14 »

You haven't tried Free! yet?  It's not for me, but I've seen appreciative comments.

I have yet to watch the first series of -monogatari - but I've got it waiting.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #406 on: 12 Jul 2013, 14:15 »

Those five are basically what I'm watching.  I also watched Kiniro Mosaic, and while that episode was adorable I doubt the rest of it will be anything but generic Cute Girls Doing Cute Things.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #407 on: 13 Jul 2013, 04:46 »

Despite the slightly unnerving frequency of people complaining about "excessive" fanservice, I found it to be really interesting, though a little odd. It's mostly just style though. This is not another High School of the Dead XD. Of course, haven't gotten to Nisei/Neko Monogatari yet, so I may have to eat my words.

Also, the order's kinda getting confusing. Bakemonogatari -> Niseimonogatari (Basically a season 2) -> Nekomonogatari (4 eps based on part of Nekomonogatari) -> Monogatari Series Second Season (5 of the current 6 novels of Nekomonogatari)

I doubt the rest of it will be anything but generic Cute Girls Doing Cute Things.

For some of us, that's enough  :angel:
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #408 on: 13 Jul 2013, 10:29 »

Oh you will eat your words, you will.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #409 on: 13 Jul 2013, 11:57 »

No thou shalt eat thine words. Girls und Airsoft totally holds up!

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #410 on: 13 Jul 2013, 13:17 »

But that's not the one I was worried about!

Can I just say that episode 2 of the new Monogatari series was fucking great with or without the fanservice.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013, 13:26 by Cire27 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #411 on: 13 Jul 2013, 14:26 »

We like the blonde with a fondness for "belt fed weapons"

We like her a lot.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #412 on: 13 Jul 2013, 17:34 »

Basic overview of teh series

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #413 on: 14 Jul 2013, 15:51 »

If you do plan on watching all of the Monogatari series then I'd suggest watching them in the order they aired rather than the chronological order.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #414 on: 15 Jul 2013, 01:46 »

I didn't even know there was a difference in this case; Bake-, Nise-, Neko- is the order I'm aware of.

Of course, I don't know yet if I'll go through the lot - it seems hard to judge from the hugely varying reactions to the fan-service element.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #415 on: 15 Jul 2013, 06:02 »

Neko- and the unreleased Kizu- are both prequels.  The first series was the least fanservice-y as far as I remember so it'll be good for testing the waters.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2013, 07:38 by Cire27 »

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #416 on: 15 Jul 2013, 12:15 »

I didn't even know there was a difference in this case; Bake-, Nise-, Neko- is the order I'm aware of.

Of course, I don't know yet if I'll go through the lot - it seems hard to judge from the hugely varying reactions to the fan-service element.

The word play, though some lost in translation, is very good and the backdrops and background music are both top quality so i'd say watching Bake is definitely worth it.
I've only just started watching Nise after putting it off for the same reason and whilst some of it  is quite jarring in its abrupt execution it always seems like an additional tool that the anime plays with.
This might be worth a read too

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #417 on: 15 Jul 2013, 13:37 »

That's a fascinating read (comments included), and clearly shows why the different attitudes to the fanservice in Nise- have arisen.  But I have to finish Utena before I get on to this.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #418 on: 16 Jul 2013, 08:36 »

I may have to eat my words.
*Munch, munch*
So I just started watching Nise-, and Hachikuji just showed up again... Guess I'm full of it in two senses now ^.^
Still interesting to watch though. I've always liked that odd, disconnected way everyone talks.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #419 on: 26 Jul 2013, 07:27 »

I don't know if anyone here is watching C3-bu but holy shit.  Holy shit.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #420 on: 26 Jul 2013, 11:48 »

(click to show/hide)

My face(s)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #421 on: 26 Jul 2013, 21:25 »

I haven't seen the latest episode of C3 as I am on the road and far from anything resembling decent WiFi but I assume something suitably dramatic happened?

Mean while the things you find at truck stops in Kansas...
http://imgur.com/vcTl3VX

Vexille for the record is a pretty cool anime movie. I greatly enjoyed it and would compare it to Appleseed. Well worth $4.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #422 on: 27 Jul 2013, 04:17 »

Cubed x Cursed x Curious? Is there something new for that? Or is this a different C3?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #423 on: 27 Jul 2013, 05:28 »

I assume he means Stella Women's Academy: High School Division Class C3 aka Girls Und Airsoft

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #424 on: 06 Aug 2013, 19:22 »

This season is just so AWESOME! So many good shows to watch! C3, Chronicles of the Going Home Club, Servant X Service and Dog & Scissors are all fantastic with ease.

The latter certainly has it's odd moments though. I can't tell if it's screwing with Kazuhito or US more.

(click to show/hide)

Otherwise they've built quite the little mad cap world of insanity for us to enjoy.

For C3.

I know a beach scene is mandatory and all... but airsoft in bikinis? I was in a competition milsim airsoft team back in HS. Even in utilities those 6mm STING.

(click to show/hide)

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #425 on: 07 Aug 2013, 10:59 »

I read somewhere that Japanese airsoft guns use gas that's at a lower pressure because of velocity laws so maybe it doesn't hurt all that much.

(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #426 on: 11 Aug 2013, 17:14 »

Woooooooo! All hail the heroes! Funimation to the RESCUE! Funimation announced during their industry panel and the Sunrise panel at Otakon this weekend that they have acquired the rights to the following anime!

Tales of the Abyss
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion
    Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
    Code Geass Lelouch Akito the Exiled
    Angel Links
    Banner of the Stars
    Banner of the Stars II
    Passage of the Stars "Birth"
    Crest of the Stars
    Outlaw Star
    Escaflowne movie
    The Visions of Escaflowne
    My-Hime
    My-ZHime
    My-ZHime O~S.ifr~
    My ZHime Zwei
    Cowboy Bepop

FUNimation expects to release Cowboy Bebop in 2014. This will be the first time that the series will be available digitally and on Blu-ray in the U.S. No word on the rest of the stuff, buuuuuuut Wolf Children will be out in November.

Fanboy comment: Holy shit gimme Outlaw Star~ <3

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #427 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:53 »

Maybe the price on some of those older show's boxsets will go down now.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #428 on: 13 Aug 2013, 16:26 »

That's probably what will happen. Rather Funimation will release NEW box sets with their branding, maybe if we're lucky some special features/remastering. Maybe even on their S.A.V.E label if we're lucky. Probably not though. Classics like these are an /easy/ sell.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #429 on: 18 Aug 2013, 14:42 »

So. Watching the finale of Oreimo 2 finally. Ever know something is going to happen, or a plot is going somewhere and it's going to basically spit on something you previously enjoyed, even if that was the original intent of the Author/Creative team all a long? Yeah. That's how I feel about the ending.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #430 on: 21 Aug 2013, 16:52 »

How did the ending insult the rest of the series?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #431 on: 22 Aug 2013, 04:37 »

Warning a spoiler heavy but brief rant follows for Oreimo.
(click to show/hide)

Apparently the publisher for the light novel wouldn't let the last LN be published (and it is the final book in the series) without some serious changes, and those changes reflect in the anime. So that's interesting at least.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #432 on: 01 Sep 2013, 09:47 »

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #433 on: 01 Sep 2013, 10:19 »

I will never get tired of SnK crossovers.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #434 on: 01 Sep 2013, 14:29 »

I recently read and watched through a manga and anime known as Kashimashi. It's a gender bender.

Okay. Don't go. Hold on.

It induced a number of "Kuwaiiiiiii desuuuuuuu" moments of blushing in me.

So cute. The boy becomes a girl and he had already appeared feminine to his peers. He struggles with his new life and with a love triangle/quadrilateral.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #435 on: 02 Sep 2013, 19:39 »

I've been watching the following:

Aria the Scarlet Ammo: Actually a new fav of mine! I'm really enjoying this gunslinger anime. It's an 8 out of 10 and just missing the 9. I really wish this had been given a full 24 episodes instead of 12. It felt like there was a lot more they could do, both with the characters and the story. What's there is good, but a bit disappointing.

Omamori Himari: Literally "Protective Charm Himari" (Himari being the female lead) this supernatural harem fighter actually was pretty good for what it was, lots of tropes and standard issue stuff, leans heavy on the fan service, but still pretty good. On Crunchy Roll too.

Current Season Comments:

Dog & Scissors is still probably my favorite of the season in a season with A LOT of good anime in it. I'm just loving the character interplay and want to see where the hell they're going with this. Besides a chapel. It's very clear Natsuno is NOT kidding when she goes after Kazu. Chronicles of the Going Home is tied up for second with Servant X Service, both doing comedy in their own unique ways and making it awesome. Servant X Service also hasn't run out of steam/ideas like Working did so far. Genshiken Nidaime is following up right behind, I really only watch it for Hato-chan but the show's a lot of fun, I'm going to have to track down the first two seasons to get the show's take on the male half of the otaku community.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #436 on: 02 Sep 2013, 19:47 »

Awesome, I didn't know they made an anime sequel to Genshiken

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #437 on: 07 Sep 2013, 15:14 »

I've been neglecting this thread, so here's a bit of a catch-up before my fading brain forgets everything about what I've watched since last time.  Can't be bothered to find pictures to illustrate my comments on so many shows.

When I last reported, I was watching Revolutionary Girl Utena.  Now that I've finished it, I'm really not sure what to make of it.  I enjoyed the first arc of the story, but the second (the Black Rose arc) seemed to me to be just a trumped-up reason to have all the same duels again, while not significantly adding to our understanding of the story as a whole; quite a big waste of time, I felt by the end of it.  However, after that it got better and better, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching to the end - but I still didn't really understand what the point of the whole thing was.  Maybe it will be clearer on a rewatch; I'll see, but not for a while.  As predicted, the film went down a lot more easily after having watched the series.

Girls und Panzer was just silly fun - but good fun, and well done.  Nothing more to say, really.  The OVAs were just stupid, though - just fanservice, and a complete absence of what made the series enjoyable for me.

Then I watched some films:

I'm embarrassed to say that I must have watched The Wings of Honneamise late at night and half-asleep or something, because I already can't remember a thing about it!  I seem to recall feeling it was OK, but a bit dated.  I guess I should go back and watch it properly...

Grave of the Fireflies on the other hand is etched into my brain. As near perfection as maybe - and that's not just the subject matter speaking, it really was one of the best-made things I've watched.

But what to say about Angel's Egg?  Even the creator claims not to know what it's about, so what chance has anyone else?  But it is beautiful, and hypnotic, and fascinating - and watching it feels like time well spent, even if the why? remains unanswered.  Highly recommended.

The two Ideon movies: I enjoyed these, though I wouldn't say they were great.  The ending was an interesting idea, though, which was what I wanted to see because it had been brought up in a discussion elsewhere of End of Evangelion and possible endings for the Rebuild remake.  I suppose the idea that people on opposite sides are really fighting for the same thing is not so uncommon - Nadesico springs to mind as another example.

Patlabor OVA and films 1 & 2.  To me the best bit of the OVA is the OP in which Noa is bouncing around frenetically in a way that she never quite manages in the series  itself.  The stories and their telling were pleasant enough, but didn't quite get off the ground for me.  The films were another matter - much more meat there.  I liked the first one best; the plot of the second seemed a bit convoluted, and there was more concentration on atmosphere rather than anything much happening (though that's not necessarily a bad thing).  Still, all-in-all a decent watch.

Back to series:

Final Approach.  A silly premise leads to a silly conclusion.  Parts were amusing, I suppose, but I'm not sure why I bothered to watch it all.

Flowers of Evil and Free! - watched one episode of each and saw no reason to try another.  Two flops in my book.

After finding the clip from Angel Beats! for the Pointless Thread, which intrigued me, I decided to try the whole series.  Not bad at all, I'd say, though some rather confused story-telling, and a confused ending (providing alternate endings is a dead give-away that neither is good enough - but for me the alternative was far worse than the original).  The whole idea of purgatory as a place to come to terms with your past so that you can move on to your future (perhaps as a metaphor for adolescence) is similar to the plot of Haibane Renmai - but not nearly so well done this time.  I'd call it good, but not as good as it might have been.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi: pure undiluted fun! well, somewhat diluted by the "serious" episodes, I suppose, but they were necessary and no hardship in themselves.  I don't really get the comparisons I've seen with FLCL, though - apart from a degree of liveliness, and a slight similarity of style, they're really not that alike, I'd say.  Some of the animation in the first episode was stunningly good in the way it captured the expressions of a bored or frustrated teenage boy.

Watching now:

Kino's Journey.  Slow (mostly), atmospheric, thoughtful, intriguing, beautiful and dark.  The simple, pastel, slightly gloomy, visual style reminds me of Lain and Texhnolyze, and is the kind of thing that always draws me in (like Angel's Egg as well).  Kino's very sparse but thoughtful remarks about what she observes remind me (a little surprisingly, I suppose) of Kyon's gentle snark in Haruhi Suzumiya.  A rather adult show, and near the top of all the series I've watched.

Waiting to be watched soon:

Princess Mononoke
Gits2 - Innocence
Bakemonogatari
Otaku no Video

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #438 on: 08 Sep 2013, 07:11 »

I've never even heard of Angel's Egg but I guess I should watch it.  I can't wait to see your reaction to the Monogatari series though.

Regarding Aku no Hana, the manga was much more interesting than the anime.  They tried to do something new and make it unsettling by using rotoscoping but the production was not there at all and it just felt cheap.  The ED was great though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #439 on: 08 Sep 2013, 08:35 »

Angel's Egg (as often called Tenshi no Tamago) was directed by Mamoru Oshii and drawn by Yoshitaka Amano, which is as good a pedigree as you can get.  There are only two characters (and occasionally a crowd of ciphers), and perhaps a dozen lines of dialogue in all, many of which are the girl asking the man "who are you?", and getting no reply.  Some people try to explain the film as a response to Oshii recently having lost his Christian faith - but there's no clear reason to think this.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #440 on: 08 Sep 2013, 14:37 »

If you like mind trip anime you need to watch Paprika post haste.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #441 on: 08 Sep 2013, 15:49 »

I loved paprika. It's a must.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #442 on: 10 Sep 2013, 09:04 »

Which reminds me that I need to actually get around to watching Millennium Actress.  So many anime, so little time.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #443 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:34 »

I know its french but, is wakfu any good?  The art style looks amazing, though a bit too cutesy
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #444 on: 11 Sep 2013, 10:36 »

The first season was pretty good, I haven't had a chance to watch the second. They've also made another show set in the same universe (I think) named Dofus

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #445 on: 11 Sep 2013, 15:19 »

Is it actually an anime? I've played the game version of Wakfu for a bit (Kinda like a more aesthetically pleasing Runescape), and heard about the preceding game Dofus, but this is the first I've heard of a corresponding anime. Does it stand up on its own, or is it just one of those "X The Animation" adaptations?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #446 on: 11 Sep 2013, 17:09 »

From what I've seen it has it's own story

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #447 on: 20 Sep 2013, 18:40 »

Sigh... the season's ending!

So for the two series I'm watching that have ended or are close enough to it that I'm okay with putting out a final word and their score, thus enabling me to savor a final episode (for the better ones).

Servant X Service: My gold medalist of the season with lots of good laughs and a fair amount of cute moments to balance things out. The team didn't run out of ideas part way through like Working and I'd say it's VERY likely that the three main plots will actually get tied up in the final episode. How the hell often does that happen? 9/10

Dog x Scissors: Speaking of wrap ups, while I greatly enjoyed it over all DxS just failed to bring it home, there was a lot of potential with some fantastic characters, but it didn't GO any where with them. The murder arc was excellent, but there was so much faffing about as opposed to getting to the plot, for a show that features a best selling author as the main character DxS certainly is lacking in the plot and story department. A grudging 7/10 because I really liked it personally, but even I can't ignore it's incredible flaws. My disappointment of the season.

Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon): The surprise of the season and the only anime I really jumped in on mid season, Silver Spoon taught me a lot of things. Lots of stuff I didn't know about farming in Japan and just in general and that there is apparently such a thing as Japanese country music. It also had the talent for making me /really/ hungry. With a wonderful cast lead by a main character who really is just a normal guy for once who has intentionally put himself well out of the norms of his city life, watching Hachi learn and grow from his experiences makes for a great anime. We should all be blessed with the chance to have such experiences to truly learn about ourselves. 9/10

Watamote: Ugh. I've made grumpy sounds about this one before. It's refreshing that an anime featuring a social reject/loner protagonist has actually put an ugly individual (inside and out) in the lime light, but they did such a good job making Tomoko ugly that I kinda just want to smack her. I also didn't find there was much of an arc or story to be invested in, and the comedy just wasn't doing it for me. Still well done, but not my cup of tea. 5/10

Chronicles of the Going Home Club: No. I won't believe it's over and you can't make me! I had way too much fun with this anime. Taking up the Azumanga Daioh anime's format and running with it, a tight cast of five girls keeps us a little more anchored as they go about their various adventures together. I enjoyed a lot of this anime and will probably watch it again in the future. I'd also add it to my buy list without hesitation. 8/10.

Time for a brief musical blitzkrieg

Courtesy of the talented Amanda Lee, ever wondered what Guren no Yumiya would sound like in English? Check it.

and since I'm watching Guilty Crown and it's music is incredible have two of the OPs Euterpe and The Everlasting Guilty Crown

Ending tonight's minor offensive, "Pon Pon Pon" is a well known scourge at cons and on forums, but again thanks to Amanda we can now get a listen in English. The lyrics are cheery... even for Jpop.

On a random note, it was announced that Momoiro Clover z is doing the theme music for the new Sailor Moon. It can not be overstated how awesome that is.

For those not in the know, Momoiro Clover Z is a sentai idol group.

Yes, with transformation belts and everything, they also did Bodacious Space Pirate*'s OP with one of the guys from Megadeth.

*Bodacious Space Pirates being the prestigious winner of my "Name That Least Matches Show Content" award and a very kick ass anime if you like bad ass female protagonists, sci fi comedies and of course, space piracy.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #448 on: 21 Sep 2013, 09:07 »

I really wish Guilty Crown could have been as good as its music.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #449 on: 21 Sep 2013, 10:15 »

I'm enjoying it so far, but then I came in with no expectations.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Up