THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355461 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #450 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:07 »

CR Guest pass: PPBMCLTPUVE

First come first served!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #451 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:29 »

I took time out for a rewatch of Haruhi Suzumiya, including the film.  It's as good as I thought last time.  I find the conclusion of the film satisfying, and am not one of those who feel that the series has suffered by there not being another season.

But now I am moving on to Bakemonogatari.  The first episode left me very confused - how much of the flashed up text should I be trying to read?  Should I pause and go back to it?  But in the second episode (which is as far as I've got), things started to fall into place.  None the less, it requires the brain to be at its most agile - it's not something to be watched when over-tired.  The graphics and the music are both giving me pleasure in their own right. 

I'm a bit bemused about comments regarding fan service (I know these relate more to Nisemonogatari, which I haven't reached yet); so far, anything that could be labelled that is directly part of the story being told, or the illustration of the thoughts of the characters, and so is not what I would call fan service anyway.  What makes fan service, in my understanding, is that it is aimed at the viewer without being a necessary or relevant part of the story-telling.  If the story is being told using images that make people in some cultures uncomfortable, that is not the same thing.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #452 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:46 »

To my knowledge Bakemonogatari was almost fan serviceless. It has some complex relationships, a lot of levels of metaphor and interaction, but not much fan service. The lead pair are awesome and I honestly feel the anime suffers a bit when it drifts from them.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #453 on: 26 Sep 2013, 07:31 »

To be fair, a lot of other series do much more for little to no reason (*coughHotDcough*), and the series is at least self-aware enough to occasionally lampshade it (In the first episode of Nise-, the main character even references his interaction with Hachikuji as "Sexual-harassment"). There are some scenes that are rather excessive (Not really a spoiler, but [Toothbrushes]), but for the most part, there's something to look for in the action (Why a certain kiss happens, that thing with Senjougahara showing how little she really cares about modesty, Suruga in general...), so it works for me. Except maybe that one bathtub conversation in Nise-, that was kinda weird.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #454 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:13 »

The first episode left me very confused - how much of the flashed up text should I be trying to read?  Should I pause and go back to it?  But in the second episode (which is as far as I've got), things started to fall into place.

I think this is the general approach you should take to the show.  A lot of the text flashing on the screen are thoughts of Araragi and information taken directly from the novels.  There's also a lot of flashback stuff that might leave you confused but all will be revealed eventually.  We're still getting teased by shots of Kizumonogatari that hasn't been aired yet.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #455 on: 28 Sep 2013, 20:19 »

Courtesy of the talented Amanda Lee, ever wondered what Guren no Yumiya would sound like in English? Check it.
Here's another one for a more "mellow" feel
Doesn't have the impact of "This is the moment for war", but aside from that, I like it ^.^

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #456 on: 29 Sep 2013, 00:15 »

I'm going to be 100% honest and say I didn't go back to check thoroughly if this had been said yet, but I would really recommend Shingeki no Kyojin.
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #457 on: 29 Sep 2013, 00:37 »

I like the mostly acapella edition but I think I prefer Amanda's translation over all. I actually really enjoy that about the fandom at large for anime growing so much. Even for fan projects because we can see a wider variation on the interpretation required for a truly honest Japanese to English translation

I'm presently recruiting animators and art types for a fan project of my own, I have an outline of a great animation to run along with Team Amalee's English version of Guren no Yuimya, depicting the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

(click to show/hide)

Finally here's the lullaby edition of Guren no Yumiya, also from Amalee

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #458 on: 30 Sep 2013, 06:53 »

translation
It's really a small thing, but I REALLY hate the use of "translation" in this context. Too many people take it as a literal word-by-word translation and get really annoying about it, instead of recognizing that it's an "adaptation" of the song to English. Just look at comments here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ribVjpHe4BE

Basically, this is a translation dub:

And this is an adaptation:

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #459 on: 30 Sep 2013, 12:48 »

Soooooooo, I am looking for something worth reading/watching. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Dubbed/subbed? Do not care. Both would be fine.

My favorites include Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Dragon Ball (Z).

FMA and Naruto top that list though.

I miss FMA ;n;

I'm really just starting out, so be gentle.

Also, on the topic of dubs (spoiler for links):

Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #460 on: 30 Sep 2013, 13:27 »

Go straight off and watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (aka TTGL or just Gurren Lagann).  26-ep series, or two movies.  Best, watch the series first, and then at least the second movie which adds yet another layer of awesomeness to the final battles.

Also watch FLCL (aka Fooly-Cooly or Furi-Kuri) - only 6 eps, but one of the craziest series ever, and the animation style feeds straight into TTGL.

Actually, between them in development is another awesome 6-parter: Diebuster (aka Gunbuster 2 or Reach for the Top 2) - but don't watch that until you've seen the original Gunbuster (aka Reach for the Top), because although the stories are pretty much independent, the ending will fall flat unless you get the reference to the first series, which will tear you up.

Some people like the huge Gundam series; I only know the short 6-ep series: Gundam 0080 - War in the Pocket, which I love.  I am told by people I trust that this encapsulates the very best of the whole franchise.

TTGL and Diebuster have a lot of action, but FLCL and War in the Pocket are more domestic in scale, though still with robots.

Moving away from obviously shounen stuff, try Puella Magi Madoka Magica (12 eps).  Although at first glance a conventional magical girl series, it seriously subverts the genre, and pulls you in more and more.  It also has some wonderfully fantastic imagery in the representation of the witches and the fights.

For a different kind of craziness, with a quiet, slightly snarky character (Kyon) as your guide, try The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (two series of 13 eps), and then the film The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.  You can skip the second series if you want to avoid a series of highly controversial episodes which might put you off...  I think they work - but you need the patience of a saint.
(click to show/hide)
The film makes a very satisfactory conclusion (though the source novels continue, the anime doesn't, and will not), and is one of the best anime films out there - but it makes no sense unless you've seen at least the first series.  Oh, and there are three orders for the episodes of the first series: "broadcast", "DVD", and "chronological".  I watch in chronological order (combining both series), but there are good arguments for the other orders.

After all the fun and action and craziness, something really sweet and relaxing: Haibane Renmai (aka Charcoal Feather Federation) (12 eps).  Quiet and sweet: you have to work out your own meaning for it.  Perhaps it represents souls in the afterlife who need to accept the manner of their death before moving on to whatever comes next.

Finally, do you like something depressing as a change of mood?  The most depressing anime there is: Texhnolyze (22 eps).  Very little dialogue (the first words aren't spoken until eleven minutes in, and we've already had a rape by then); violence, cruelty, despair, and in the end, nothing at all.  Very powerful, but not for everyone.

Maybe that was too much all at once - but you can pick and choose (and there's plenty more where that came from).
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2013, 13:34 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #461 on: 30 Sep 2013, 13:31 »

I'm sorry Paul, but 08th MS team is the best Gundam, with Gundam Wing a close second and Mobile Fighter G Gundam getting a mention for it's craziness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #462 on: 30 Sep 2013, 16:19 »

I miss FMA ;n;

There are two complete FMA series, of course.  Whichever you've watched, you could try watching the other!  Arguments rage* over which is better - they're both good though.  I prefer the first for several reasons, but the second (Brotherhood) has the advantage of following the plot and characterisation of the completed manga.  But then, the writer gave the animators of the first series advice on completing the story their way (without helping them do it), and expressed satisfaction with the result.

*I'm actually in the middle of one on another forum this evening!

I'm sorry Paul, but 08th MS team is the best Gundam, with Gundam Wing a close second and Mobile Fighter G Gundam getting a mention for it's craziness

I couldn't possibly comment!  Actually, I'm planning to watch the film trilogy version of the original series soon (again, following advice on where to proceed).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #463 on: 30 Sep 2013, 17:10 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qonD0LWykJY

Top level crossovers

I just took this in, and looked back at the Nichijou OP to compare; this one is actually a better animation!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #464 on: 30 Sep 2013, 17:19 »

I concur with this assessment of the Gundam universe.

Hot Blooded Gundam is pretty awesome, even if it is a completely different experience from ANY other Gundam series out there.

Do you guys track what series you've seen and haven't somehow?

I use this website: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/FenrisMarine

Though keeping track does occasionally depress me.

I've spent 73.3 days of my life watching anime give or take.  :psyduck:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #465 on: 30 Sep 2013, 17:37 »

I searched for a manga thread but didn't see anything so I'll use this thread to say I've been (re)reading a lot of Junji Ito work and a lot of horror manga lately.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #466 on: 30 Sep 2013, 18:01 »

Started watching SNK. Shits fucked up yo. Is there gonna be a big reveal about the titans because I think I figured it out and I'm on ep 9 or 10.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #467 on: 30 Sep 2013, 19:36 »

Wow. Thanks for the suggestions!

Re: FMA

When I say FMA, I usually refer to the original manga, which I had read in its entirety before watching either FMA or FMA:B, which was much MUCH more like the manga. So, it should be obvious which I like more.  :-P

I adore seeing my static images in my memories come to life and grow voices, although it rarely meets expectations.

In terms of depressing content, I am completely open to it. I especially like existential stuff.

Now that I think about it, does anyone recommend Ghost in the Shell? I don''t even know how to start that one. I barely know a thing about it. Artificial intelligence questioning reality? That kind of stuff is right up my proverbial alley.

Right now, I am looking at Hellsing, Gundam, and Ghost in the Shell.

When I say "looking at," I mean potentially considering maybe sort-of watching. I'd love to hear some feedback on what to watch first, where to start, or general tips on watching them as well as others.

Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #468 on: 30 Sep 2013, 20:32 »

Well which Gundam?

For Hellsing the "Anime" is largely considered shit by most fans, and is officially non-canon, but I like it and I cosplay for Hellsing Ultimate. Ultimate is the "True to the manga", officially sanctified version and it is 10 lbs of awesome in a 2 lb box. There is excessive, over the top violence, a convoluted plot, a fantastic dub for about half the series. It's a personal favorite, if the whole "I cosplay for this anime" didn't tip you off.

Ghost in the Shell: Cyberpunk goodness, plenty of action to keep the lizard brain happy, but some pretty deep thoughts and questions emerge in many of the plots and stories. If you're going to watch GITS in any capacity, imho you should start with Stand Alone Complex and go from there.

Now for Gundam. So there's a ton of series for this. The three I recommend are listed above. 8th MS Team is what happens when Gundam goes hard core. This anime is not messing around and lacks the whinging teenagers of the other series. You will have feels. You will think complex thoughts. It is awesome. Gundam Wing is in my opinion the "balanced" Gundam experience, even if it leans heavy on the whinging teenagers you have all the complex plot, political intrigue of more serious gundam series with some hot blooded elements and more dynamic fight sequences then proper tactical engagements. G Gundam finally is how Gundam does Hot Blooded and it's fantastic.

Another one YOU might like Sage is Flag.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #469 on: 30 Sep 2013, 20:36 »

What ever you do, do not watch Ghost in the Shell 2. Watch the first movie and the series, but stay away from that second movie.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #470 on: 01 Oct 2013, 00:15 »

Now that I think about it, does anyone recommend Ghost in the Shell? I don''t even know how to start that one. I barely know a thing about it. Artificial intelligence questioning reality? That kind of stuff is right up my proverbial alley.

I've only watched the first GitS film so far, but found it intriguing.  Another highly regarded series in that vein is Serial Experiments Lain (an earlier show from the same studio as Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmai) - I recommend it highly.  It comes from the late 1990s when the term "Internet" was not so well established, and uses the term "The Wired" for it.  I've seen it suggested that those shows form a trilogy, examining the futures of the Body (Texhnolyze), the Mind (Lain), and the Spirit (Haibane Renmai).
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2013, 06:52 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #471 on: 01 Oct 2013, 00:23 »

What ever you do, do not watch Ghost in the Shell 2. Watch the first movie and the series, but stay away from that second movie.

This is somewhat ambiguous (though possibly true both ways).  The second film: GitS - Innocence, is dissed by many people, though not all (I've not seen it).  However, the name Ghost in the Shell 2 is also given to the remastering of the original film which has a considerable amount of footage replaced by CGI (as used in Innocence); this jars, and watching the original is greatly to be preferred.

Some people also dislike the first series because of the level of fan service (again, I've not seen it).

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #472 on: 01 Oct 2013, 04:58 »

Stand Alone Complex has fan service? *shrug* I never really noticed. Must of what's there just seemed to expand on the Major's character in one way or another, or I shrugged it off as "Don't think too much about it" like the skin tight combat body suit that shows up now and then. Major Kusanagi remains a strong kick ass woman who's pretty comfortable in the shell she's wearing.

Maybe it's just my mental definition of "Fan Service", because it seems as a term to be applied very broadly these days. I think of fan service as nudity/sexual material that is gratuitous to one extent or another. If it can actually be tied in to the plot or development of the characters, or tells us something more about the character, then it's probably not fan service. If said sexyness takes place at an onsen or on the beach or if the show can't go 5 minutes without clothing damage/panty shots (looking at you Ikkitousen) then you're probably getting some fan service with your anime.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #473 on: 01 Oct 2013, 05:04 »

As I say, I haven't seen it; and I only use the term "fan service" if the nudity or suggestiveness is not part of the plot.  But this is a quote from a randomly chosen review, and I've seen the same often enough:

One final thing: Ghost in the Shell, we need to talk about fan service. A little now and again is ok, but having the Major walk around in the most revealing clothes possible for no other reason than to have her walk around in the most revealing clothes possible is just distracting. I know you don't have any explicit nudity, but it's still gratuitous and unnecessary. Despite how hot the Major may be.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #474 on: 01 Oct 2013, 06:02 »

*shrug* it's Cyberpunk, future clothes be futuristic.

Also speaking of Cyberpunk everyone needs to watch the glory that is Psycho Pass if you haven't yet... I'd be screwed in such a world. I would either be eliminated, in prison or one of the "hunting dogs" (the mentally deviant Enforcers) if I was lucky.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #475 on: 01 Oct 2013, 08:24 »

It's great that I've seen ~40 shows more than you but you have over 1500 more episodes total watched.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #476 on: 02 Oct 2013, 17:31 »

Okay. Tell me what you think and where to start on the anime:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SageJiraiya

And feel free to share what you think about what I should read:

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/SageJiraiya
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #477 on: 02 Oct 2013, 17:43 »

How in the world do we apparently have 0% shared anime?... Oh, I just got it (My list is too large XD)
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Asterus

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #478 on: 02 Oct 2013, 18:04 »

It's great that I've seen ~40 shows more than you but you have over 1500 more episodes total watched.

Heh I tend towards longer anime. I find they have better story arcs for the most part.

Sage... and all of in fact. Seriously. Flag.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1299/Flag

Right now.

Do it.

Other good ones you might like Sage
Outlaw Star
The Tenchi series (there's several, you want the OVAs and Universe)
Angel Beats (classic, prepare for feels)
Trinity Blood

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #479 on: 03 Oct 2013, 05:22 »

I should update this some.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cire

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #480 on: 05 Oct 2013, 09:00 »

Hideki Anno hates you:

If you like Eva, Hideaki Anno hates you. That’s just how it is. If you can’t wrap your mind around this basic truth you are missing out on a lot of hysterical black irony.

http://chirart.tumblr.com/post/37808402478/evangelion-and-why-hideaki-anno-hates-you

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #481 on: 05 Oct 2013, 12:21 »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #482 on: 05 Oct 2013, 12:27 »

I...uh. I was about to post that the black/purple-haired guy in the still looks like PW.

Then I realised "You're an idiot and you should post this so that everyone knows that you are." So I did.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #483 on: 05 Oct 2013, 12:36 »

Hideki Anno hates you:

If you like Eva, Hideaki Anno hates you. That’s just how it is. If you can’t wrap your mind around this basic truth you are missing out on a lot of hysterical black irony.

http://chirart.tumblr.com/post/37808402478/evangelion-and-why-hideaki-anno-hates-you

What's funny is that some people call Evangelion the Watchmen of anime, both were incredible takes on their subjects and effectively changed their genres, but not for the better. Watchmen somewhat spawned the grim dark comics that came after it while Evangelion got eaten up by the same people that the creator hated and now you have Rei and Asuka body pillows

ackblom12

« Reply #484 on: 05 Oct 2013, 12:40 »

The fact that people liked the character of Rorschach and didn't see him as an indictment of the very concept of vigilantism I know made Moore incredibly upset, especially since DC perpetuated it.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #485 on: 05 Oct 2013, 12:49 »

I didn't realize my reply was the last post of that page so I'm just going to repost it here.

Hideki Anno hates you:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #486 on: 05 Oct 2013, 13:44 »

Why'd you post the vid a second time Cire?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #487 on: 05 Oct 2013, 14:31 »

Hideki Anno hates you:

The first part of that article was getting old (and seen to be inaccurate) ten years ago, and the rest is just misconceived.  I won't pick it apart here; there are plenty of places you can find a second opinion.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #488 on: 05 Oct 2013, 14:55 »

But what if I want your second opinion hodges? ;)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #489 on: 05 Oct 2013, 21:27 »

Has anyone watched Kill La Kill? I've seen some clips and I'm interested in it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #490 on: 05 Oct 2013, 21:31 »

I need to get around to the first episode sometime tomorrow >.>;

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #491 on: 06 Oct 2013, 00:07 »

But what if I want your second opinion hodges? ;)

I'll come back to it then; but right now I'm rather too busy to do it properly.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #492 on: 06 Oct 2013, 06:53 »

Why'd you post the vid a second time Cire?

I didn't realize my reply was the last post of that page so I'm just going to repost it here.

Has anyone watched Kill La Kill? I've seen some clips and I'm interested in it.

The first episode was ridiculously fun.  You can definitely tell it's a Trigger anime.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #493 on: 06 Oct 2013, 07:20 »

Reading is hard past all the concussions. I'm gonna watch Kill La Kill today after I got out and forage for bacon. I will report back to the collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #494 on: 06 Oct 2013, 09:34 »

A number of people whose view I respect are insanely excited by the first episode of Kill la Kill.  Incidentally, since there have been mixed reports, they have in fact stated clearly that it will be a 2-cours show.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #495 on: 06 Oct 2013, 11:19 »

I am vastly enjoying Kill la Kill. It's nuts, but in a manner I find much more enjoyable then Gurren Lagan. Ryuko herself is a fun character, I love an even split between a straight man and an over the top nut like the rest of the world around her. The only thing I take issue with so far is Ryuko's sailor fuku... I wish it was just a /little/ less extreme in combat form.

Nagi no Asukara is cute, but the kind of cute that I will probably end up dropping by the middle of it's run, I like the world, I like the characters, I hate the way they're setting up the romance drama.

On a side note, if you like slice of life then Golden Time is probably going to be a must watch for you.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2013, 12:12 by GarandMarine »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #496 on: 06 Oct 2013, 12:13 »

I am vastly enjoying Kill la Kill. It's nuts, but in a manner I find much more enjoyable then Gurren Lagan.

For those who don't know, it's worth noting that the Trigger team is largely those who made Gurren Lagann.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #497 on: 06 Oct 2013, 12:42 »

The only thing I take issue with so far is Ryuko's sailor fuku... I wish it was just a /little/ less extreme in combat form.

I had a problem with this too, but I assume that the it's going to start covering more as she wins fights based on that thread she absorbed and promotional material.

On a side note, if you like slice of life then Golden Time is probably going to be a must watch for you.

I have high hopes for this show since I've read parts of the LN and manga but that first episode didn't impress me at all.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #498 on: 06 Oct 2013, 12:48 »

I am vastly enjoying Kill la Kill. It's nuts, but in a manner I find much more enjoyable then Gurren Lagan.

For those who don't know, it's worth noting that the Trigger team is largely those who made Gurren Lagann.

Yes. My mistake I should have clarified that as why I brought Gurren Lagann up in the first place.

The only thing I take issue with so far is Ryuko's sailor fuku... I wish it was just a /little/ less extreme in combat form.

I had a problem with this too, but I assume that the it's going to start covering more as she wins fights based on that thread she absorbed and promotional material.

I must have missed that, cool if true. Also has any one else noted that scissors have become the weapon of choice over the last few years?

I have high hopes for this show since I've read parts of the LN and manga but that first episode didn't impress me at all.

Really? I quite liked it, it could have done a bit more, but I was having fun!

Edit:

Just watched Strike the Blood, it screams Demon King Daimao, but it looks like fun all the same.

Also watched the first episode of Gingitsune: Messenger Fox of the Gods. It brought back fond memories of spending time at Inari shrines around the Japanese country side. It looks like it's gonna be a cute little slice of life with some fun cultural learning options here and there.

Edit again:

Walkure Romanze aka Valkyire Romance: This anime is so weird. It's cute girls, harem style rom com, but the girls are all knights and they're jousting as part of High School? Or something?

I have NO idea what's going on any more. There's plenty of fanservice, terribly designed armor (boob plates galore!) an initial villain with some very frilly underwear (someone was having a "I need to feel extra sexy today" moment), an extremely aggressive, possibly perveted horse that shares at least part of a name with the female lead, a brooding hero who hung up his lance and became a simple groomsman/squire (the anime persists in using a German sounding term I didn't quite catch) and again, jousting in a world where most of the women ride horses in miniskirts with their armor on over their school uniforms.

Edit: Walkure Romanze is an H game based anime, suddenly all becomes clear. Sorta.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2013, 20:38 by GarandMarine »

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #499 on: 07 Oct 2013, 04:29 »

Does anyone watch Shingeki no kyojin around here?
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Up