THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355355 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #500 on: 07 Oct 2013, 04:48 »

Most of us have at one point or another I think. I dropped it however.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #501 on: 07 Oct 2013, 06:09 »

I'm about to get to it, but from what I've heard it's not the sort of series that usually hooks me too much. Still going to give it a chance :P
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #502 on: 07 Oct 2013, 06:20 »

Some people like it; but my internal summary of what I've read about it has confirmed my lack of interest, so I've not even looked at it.  By contrast, I'm tempted to work out how to follow Kill la Kill as it broadcasts (which I've never done).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #503 on: 07 Oct 2013, 06:44 »

www.crunchyroll.com, every week start next week for the unpayed types, and starting right now for payed types.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #504 on: 07 Oct 2013, 07:00 »

I have some guest passes for Crunchyroll if you're interested.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #505 on: 07 Oct 2013, 08:58 »

I have some guest passes for Crunchyroll if you're interested.

Interested:  how does that work / what does it give me?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #506 on: 07 Oct 2013, 09:18 »

As I have said numerous times I havnt watched much anime (or at least compared to everyone here) but this is what I got.

Also watch FLCL (aka Fooly-Cooly or Furi-Kuri) - only 6 eps, but one of the craziest series ever, and the animation style feeds straight into TTGL.
I once did a complete breakdown of FLCL.  Each episode is about being a teenager and going through the changes of a kid to adult.  Whether is going through competitive sports, girls, relationships, what it is to be an adult, etc.  I'm not going to do episode by episode here but it was amazing.

As for the Gundams, anything in UC is pretty good.  I have only seen Mobile suit gundam, 08 MS team, Stardust memory, War in Pocket, and Char's Counterattack.  I will have to agree 08 MS team is by far one of the best because its pretty much a military show where as the original Mobile Suit Gundam is more about a coming of age tale for a kid in a war but pretty much explains the war.  I also really enjoyed Star Dust Memory and War in Pocket.  Char's Counterattack was good and a way to sum up the Mobile Suit Gundam story line (what happens after happily ever after kind of thing) but was far too focused on the "new type" space jedi pilots.  I really like how all of the ones I've listed shows both sides of the conflict.  Both have great people and evil people.  War is never black and white with evil and good being one sided.

Gundam Wing is...interesting but also can get confusing with all the military coups.  My brother loved it.

G Gundam (the world fighter one) was interesting on how they showed each great nation in a world fighting tournament.

Other anime I have seen that I can recommend:
Cowboy Beebop: Space western and one of the best shows ever IMHO. Former cop, former gangster, con artist, tech expert, and a corgi all team up as bounty hunters. The jazzy music is amazing!  Never watch the movie though.  Kind of like it that way based on how it ended. 
(click to show/hide)

Outlaw Star: Another Space western, this one has magic and spacecraft with arms that uses weapons.  Space combat was a bit wierd for my taste but the bounty hunting and treasure hunting was pretty good.  Nice story, interesting characters.  The main character's space phobia seem to clear out fairly quickly though.

I havnt seen much of FMA but I put it on my netflix list and will give it a try when I get the time.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #507 on: 07 Oct 2013, 09:30 »

Gundams, [...]  I really like how all of the ones I've listed shows both sides of the conflict.  Both have great people and evil people.  War is never black and white with evil and good being one sided.

This is the entire point of 0080 - War in the Pocket, which is why I think it's so good.

Cowboy Bebop: [...] Never watch[ed] the movie though.  Kind of like it that way based on how it ended.

There's no conflict, because the movie is not a continuation from the end; it's like an extended episode within the series.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #508 on: 07 Oct 2013, 11:22 »

I am so sad.

I went for a Soul Eater marathon and now it's over! I loved it! This is the same feeling I got after reading FMA and watching both FMA and FMA:B.

It was so satisfying to finish the series, but MAN, I miss those characters <3
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #509 on: 07 Oct 2013, 17:21 »

Read the manga then :P It goes past the ending the anime went for though it does have a more darker and grittier approach (For example:
(click to show/hide)
)

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #510 on: 07 Oct 2013, 19:11 »

I was hoping that would happen in the manga. But in the anime he didn't die. Black star beat him but let him live.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #511 on: 08 Oct 2013, 06:47 »

Interested:  how does that work / what does it give me?

It gives you access to the premium features of Crunchyroll so that you can watch simulcasts day of instead of a week later.  They only last for 48 hours though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #512 on: 08 Oct 2013, 06:58 »

I can't see that being worth it for me; thanks, though.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #513 on: 08 Oct 2013, 07:36 »

Oh hey, Yozakura Quartet is getting an anime

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #514 on: 08 Oct 2013, 08:32 »

Has and is having one!

I can't see that being worth it for me; thanks, though.

Yea, I thought so after I checked it out.  For some reason I thought it lasted longer than two days.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #515 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:48 »

Another one I'll recommend is Reign: The Conqueror.  It is the story of Alexander the Great done with Aeon Flux style animation. Prepare to see androgynous men in G strings. Their take on ancient military using fantastical technology is interesting. Saw it back in high school.  Me and my brother found it interesting though we often joked that Alexander kind of looked like Michael Jackson in his later years. Too bad its not on netflix.  :-\
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #516 on: 08 Oct 2013, 12:30 »

For those interested, here's Kotaku's Fall Anime Guide

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #517 on: 08 Oct 2013, 12:39 »

A few years ago I used to read a manga called Bartender; would recommend. I think I may pick it back up.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #518 on: 08 Oct 2013, 16:56 »

Dammnit. Now I have to watch ALL the anime.

Edit:

So I have long admitted that my anime equivalent of junk food is the anime Infinite Stratos

I Couldn't Become A Hero So Reluctantly I Decided To Get a Job is currently on the watch list... we are... entertained? Mostly? It looks like it's gonna be a cute little romcom, it's leaning heavy on the fan service button already, but that's just standard issue I guess.

There is one weird thing.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2013, 18:59 by GarandMarine »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #519 on: 09 Oct 2013, 01:53 »

Oh look, I did a list.

Oo-er - that's an awful lot to have covered in only two years; I think I need to have a moratorium on widening my experience of this stuff and recover the time for my other hobbies.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #520 on: 09 Oct 2013, 04:45 »

You're not even up to /months/ yet! That isn't that much/little :P

One thing I do is I tend to watch anime while I paint or assemble models. So I can effectively double my hobby time!

Dammnit. Now I have to watch ALL the anime.

Edit:

So I have long admitted that my anime equivalent of junk food is the anime Infinite Stratos

I just realized I never finished that. Let's try that again shall we?

So I have long admitted that my anime equivalent of junk food is the anime Infinite Stratos. There's everything I need to shift my brain into cruising speed, flip on cruise control and put my higher brain functions through a shut down cycle. Cute girls a... well for what it is it's a decent story, well designed, unique (relatively) mechs with a pleasant combat style, characters that are for the most part quite likeable (Except Cecilia, girls with Hime curls are never a good sign) and they even manage to poke fun at their own genre/themselves here and there. (There's been a couple references in S1, and now a reference in E1S2 that Laura's XO in her German commando unit is a giant otaku, and gives her all her advice on how to "woo" Ichka. That's quite droll is what that is). Then there's a very solid OP and EP that are fun to listen to to make you forget about anything that popped up that you hate too much. This leads me to the briefly mentioned new episode of season 2. I am not impressed. There's some snippets of drama and plot but honestly the episode focused more on a fanservice trip to the water park then giving us a nice adrenaline kick and teasing us with some plot, and working the fan service eps into that like it's predecessor. It just seemed kinda random over all, like the due date jumped up on the IS team so they had to rush a couple odds and ends out the door and call that an episode. I am not impressed. I will however give the team the benefit of the doubt going forward, so hopefully it's just a weak first episode.... I really like this anime, I'm sure as hell not going to read the light novels, the cool stuff they did tease looks pretty awesome. So... yep

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #521 on: 09 Oct 2013, 05:01 »

Oh hey, Yozakura Quartet is getting an anime

You mean ANOTHER anime :P I'm a little sad it's not a continuation though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #522 on: 09 Oct 2013, 05:46 »

You're not even up to /months/ yet! That isn't that much/little :P

One thing I do is I tend to watch anime while I paint or assemble models. So I can effectively double my hobby time!

My hobbies are audio-based, so incompatible - indeed, I can't imagine you keeping up with the -monogatari series subs while painting, either!  I often manage to watch an episode on my iPhone while walking the dogs though.

I don't know what the "Days" figure is, though.  Totalling up the lengths of the episodes and films I've watched (not counting those I've repeated) it's about 20 days - not the 1.45 that the web site displays.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2013, 05:55 by pwhodges »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #523 on: 09 Oct 2013, 09:57 »

Depends on the series, I can listen for key words and tones in Japanese fairly well now so that helps, but most of my hobby anime watching is with dubs.

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #524 on: 09 Oct 2013, 16:28 »

Most of us have at one point or another I think. I dropped it however.

How come?

I'm about to get to it, but from what I've heard it's not the sort of series that usually hooks me too much. Still going to give it a chance :P

What type of series hooks you? I'm completely hooked on it, I love the symbolism and general storyline.

Some people like it; but my internal summary of what I've read about it has confirmed my lack of interest, so I've not even looked at it.  By contrast, I'm tempted to work out how to follow Kill la Kill as it broadcasts (which I've never done).

I've concluded you guys have sucky taste in anime. :-P
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #525 on: 09 Oct 2013, 16:32 »

I can quote you plenty of poor criticism of Attack on Titan if you want some justification.  Also it's only half made, so I can't watch it through to the end as I prefer to.

In any case, I'm probably the most untypical anime fan you'll ever come across.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #526 on: 09 Oct 2013, 16:55 »

I dunno it just didn't gel with me, namely it has terrible pacing, and moves like DBZ without the excuse that it was having to wait for fresh volumes of the manga and had to do a lot of filler for filler's sake. I wanted to like it, but over all I just couldn't keep my motivation up to keep watching.

My Mental Multiple-Choice Power Is Completely Ruining My School Romantic Comedy seems kinda amusing so far, though I will make the petty gripe that it's usually not multiple choice options he's forced in to.

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova aka Arpeggio of the Blue Steel is pretty kick ass if you like watching warships and submarines duking it out. I do so this is freaking fantastic.

Unrelated:
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2013, 19:46 by GarandMarine »

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #527 on: 10 Oct 2013, 00:57 »

So, I've done some research about Paprika.

Originally published as a Japanese novel in '93 I think, it was made into a manga by some random guy in like '03, then the movie came out in japanese, and then the english dub came out around '06. At some point after that some other guy made a film-to-manga-adaptation.

Apparently the original novel explored some pretty disturbing rape themes, which were understandably edited for the film.

Neither of the mangas are available in english either for purchase or by fan-translation, but the original book is available in english.

So, I adored the film and the sound track, but it does not look like I will have any luck reading a manga version.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #528 on: 10 Oct 2013, 10:25 »

What type of series hooks you? I'm completely hooked on it, I love the symbolism and general storyline.
There are quite a few things that usually hook me, but the big ones are usually feels through drama/Crowning Moments of Awesome (Along the lines of Clannad, Railgun, Toradora!), mind screws/weird stuff (Stein's Gate, Higurashi, XXXHolic), or things that just look good/interesting (SAO, Chuunibyou, Bakemonogatari). Music usually doesn't hurt either (Idolm@ster, Nodame Cantabile, maybe K-On)
Problem is, most of what I've heard praises some things I don't find interesting, like "epic" monster battles and a heavy focus on one character being "The Chosen One". Things like that are pretty much the only reason I've never really gotten into mechas and such. Still, a lack of plot armor and an interesting functionality in combat looks promising.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #529 on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:32 »

I don't find interesting, like "epic" monster battles and a heavy focus on one character being "The Chosen One".

In lots of series, though, the battles, while epic, are far from the whole point.  And your "chosen one" comment could cut out loads of stuff that simply has a main protagonist - which is pretty usual thing in a story!  I mean, on those grounds you could be cutting out Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, possibly even Fullmetal Alchemist, and even Gunbuster and Diebuster!

Still, here are some things that you didn't list that might meet your criteria, that I've enjoyed recently: 
[C]: Control - The Money of Soul and Possibility
Mirai Nikki (aka Future Diary)
Kino's Journey (might seem a bit slow to you, I guess)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (Only two mecha fights in 6 eps - I'm told it encapsulates the best of Gundam)
Mindgame (A weird, weird film, and hard to find)

To be fair, I should include, on account of its popularity:
Death Note
though I hated it and dropped it less than halfway through.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #530 on: 10 Oct 2013, 14:05 »

An anime I haven't seen anyone talk about but I really enjoyed was Last Exile.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #531 on: 10 Oct 2013, 14:49 »

Seen the name, but don't know it.  I've seen love expressed for the original series, and great dislike for the sequel (FAM, The Silver Wing).  Do you have any comment on that?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #532 on: 10 Oct 2013, 14:57 »

I haven't finished the original and I've never seen the sequel, but I enjoyed what I saw way back when it was on Tech TV. Sadly it seems it has been taken off Netflix
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2013, 10:56 by Blue Kitty »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #533 on: 10 Oct 2013, 16:33 »

Last Exile was wonderful, know nothing about the sequel.

I'm not even part way into S2E2 for Infinite Stratos and I can only say...

Much better. Hell yes. Seito Kaichou isn't going to be messing with my shipping order any time soon, but she's fun.

Also if you guys haven't seen it, another recommendation for Toradora!

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #534 on: 10 Oct 2013, 18:25 »

If you're into romcoms and can handle tsundere then definitely go for Toradora.  It's one of my favorites.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #535 on: 10 Oct 2013, 18:31 »

In it's defense it's a well DONE tsundere!

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #536 on: 10 Oct 2013, 18:56 »

It's might be the best one even!

but maybe Asuka wins that one

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #537 on: 10 Oct 2013, 21:30 »

Hell no. Palm Top Tiger for the glorious victory!

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #538 on: 10 Oct 2013, 22:17 »

So I went to Anime Weekend Atlanta the other weekend. That was cool, even though I don't watch much. Approximately 50% of the people there were cosplaying SNK, so I decided I'd watch a few episodes. It's so.... over-dramatic. Every single scene is punctuated by a gasp because there's just so much fucking drama. I dunno. Just my two cents.

brotherhood is the best!

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #539 on: 11 Oct 2013, 15:32 »

Any recommendations this season? I've watched the first two episodes of Kill La Kill which is brilliant so far and Outbreak Company which is set up to possibly get interesting or it might get dropped if it goes nowhere

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #540 on: 11 Oct 2013, 17:50 »

Infinite Stratos 2 is shaping up nicely if you liked season 1. Strike The Blood is good so far...

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #541 on: 11 Oct 2013, 20:52 »

I don't find interesting, like "epic" monster battles and a heavy focus on one character being "The Chosen One".

In lots of series, though, the battles, while epic, are far from the whole point.  And your "chosen one" comment could cut out loads of stuff that simply has a main protagonist - which is pretty usual thing in a story!  I mean, on those grounds you could be cutting out Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, possibly even Fullmetal Alchemist, and even Gunbuster and Diebuster!
Well, I don't mind the focus on one character, but when that character seems to literally do everything, that's when it goes into "Chosen One" territory for me. In Evangelion, Shinji wasn't the only EVA pilot, TTGL did seem like it for a bit, but then the rest of the Dai Gurren brigade showed up to kick ass, FMA loved its Big Damn Heroes Moments, Kirito, while infamous, was not stated to have personally killed each boss or anything ridiculous like that, etc. My problem is when one character seems to be made to be a story breaker, like this huge deal that the MC of AoT can turn into one of the monsters, and that's his thing. Or that annoying start to Fairy Tail where Natsu basically defeats every single Big Bad, and the rest of the cast just kinda stands around.
And while epic battles usually aren't the point, I get suspicious when that's all I ever really hear people talk about. As if that's all that mattered to them :P
Also: Seen all your rec's besides C, Mindgame and Gundam. C's queued, Mindgame's added to the list.

In other news, I might actually be going crazy:

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #542 on: 13 Oct 2013, 08:07 »

Wait, how can you not have a problem with Kirito but have one with Eren?  Eren might have a super power but he doesn't always win no matter what and his character flaws don't consist of other people being dumb around him.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #543 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:06 »

@Asterus: I get it and I tend to agree. Something like that can break the plot.  One of the reasons why I like some of the UC gundams (08 MS team especially) and cowboy beebop, everyone plays a part and deals out some ass kickery.  Sure there may be an ace or "red baron" the protagonist and his team may encounter but they all do their part.  I guess its why I like war movies and shows.  Its not just some special guy who has the power of deus ex machina, its a unit working together.  Sure you may have some exception soldier in the team but they do not define the series. Only seen a random episode of FMA here and there and they do play the "Big Damn Heroes" part but they also get their asses kicked from time to time.

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #544 on: 13 Oct 2013, 10:04 »

I watched the first three episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam (or 0079 Gundam, no idea how it's supposed to be called)

Well, not sure where to start. It was as intense as it was impressive, and it was very intense. It's very rare for me to have such a positive impression of a series right from the first episode but Gundam really is amazing.

The first thing that jumped to attention were the visuals. Now, i knew things like the character designs and cinematography were going to be dated, but it still surprised me a bit how... Different, it was from my usual experiences with anime. It wasn't bad though, on the contrary. The old-school anime art and style were both pretty interesting in seeing how things were done back then, and managed to have quite a vitality to them. Overall, if i had to describe it in one word, i would use "static". Animations are generally "stiff", the camera doesn't move much, etc. But it "makes up" for it with achieved composition and captivating action and pacing. And like i said, the old-school designs were pretty cool and an interesting change from what i was used to, all those pencil lines...

The writing... Three episodes in i don't have much to say. Not because i think the writing was underwhelming (on the contrary) but simply because i can't find the words. Tomino sure as hell is a great writer though. Amuro Ray is a rather interesting character, and i was quite surprised at how three-dimensional he -and most of the cast now that i think about it- was.

So yeah, much more things to say but can't seem to be able to verbalize them properly. It's probably not a story i would have watched without recomendation (too much death and with a "hard" feel to it, plus i'm just not into mechanical things) but i can certainly see why it's such a remembered series. It's quite awesome really. Silly music (Specially OP and ED) and sound-effects aside.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #545 on: 13 Oct 2013, 10:29 »

Heh!  I'm just doing the same, except that I'm watching the movie trilogy version - both to save me time, and because some people seem to think that on the whole the tighter version of the story works better even if a few bits are missing.

I've previously watched (and loved) Gundam 0080 - War in the Pocket, and although the bigger story isn't as tautly constructed as the 6 part OVA, I'm finding a lot of the same kind of ideas to enjoy.

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #546 on: 13 Oct 2013, 10:34 »

I've been actually considering switching over to the film version as well, mainly because the third film seems to be vastly superior to the final third of the series and the ending has a different feel. Apparently Tv series has some stuff better at the start but not so much later on.

It was mostly the fact that, as you mentioned, a few bits were missing that made me decide for the series in the first place, but it might have been wrong move.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #547 on: 13 Oct 2013, 10:49 »

Holy feth. The miracle at the end of Devil Survivor 2: The Animation Episode 10, actually made me tear up a little. This anime is looking forward to a /very/ nice rating from me.

Edit: Yup, easy 9, the only thing preventing a 10 is rewatchability. If I come back to it a few times, it could easily see it's score improve.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2013, 12:15 by GarandMarine »

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #548 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:30 »

Wait, how can you not have a problem with Kirito but have one with Eren?  Eren might have a super power but he doesn't always win no matter what and his character flaws don't consist of other people being dumb around him.
I think you missed the "almost killed by a player 10 levels below him", "Ran like a bitch from a new boss", "Get his entire party killed", "Got curb-stomped by a boss 20+ levels higher than him", and "Technically died on the final boss" moments :P
And there were plenty of characters that didn't go pseudo-ax crazy. Egil, Asuna, Klein, Lizbeth, and Argo usually played some role in the games (Though those last two were only really mentioned in the manga, and I'm still annoyed Argo didn't show up much in the series), and there were plenty of other characters implied to be doing as much (if not more) than Kirito, if they can still make progress while he has time to join a guild of mid-levels, get married, and go on vacation while they get to level 74.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #549 on: 14 Oct 2013, 07:38 »

None of those are really character flaws?  He didn't get his party killed, they stupidly walked into an obvious trap because of their cockiness.  He died so hard on the last boss that he magically was able to stab him anyway.  I really liked SAO the first time I watched it but Kirito has almost no depth.  He is every loner MMO player's power fantasy.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Up