THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355413 times)

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #600 on: 28 Dec 2013, 08:35 »

Blackjack and Hookers?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #601 on: 04 Jan 2014, 04:24 »

I know (as much as you can know someone you aoccasionally chat with online) a guy who wrote his own game engine with blackjack and hookers.

Seriously, the file extensions it used were things like .blackjack and .hooker.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #602 on: 04 Jan 2014, 06:49 »

It's a Futurama quote

Also, Princess Jellyfish is on Netflix

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #603 on: 08 Jan 2014, 19:15 »

Been watching Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi (A Bridge to the Starry Skies) and it's pretty good, but lighter on deep character interaction then I wanted, but good all the same, better then it's genre mate Shuffle, also the first girl didn't win! Wtf eh?

It does have those weird multilayer female haircuts they stick in for a lot of protagonists... bangs, side pony tails, auxiliary bangs EVERYWHERE.How the hell does that work!?

I'm also working on Familiar of Zero, which is surprisingly good, I didn't really think it'd be my cup of tea, but I raced throught the first season!

As far as the new season goes... I watched Nobunaga the Fool and... uh... guys I think the company that made it may have my 8th grade scratch pad and are using it for ideas, because Oda Nobunaga teaming up with Joan of Arc to conquer Not Earth with giant robots and space ships is just the kind of gak I'd have been writing around that age.

(Joan of Arc and Oda Nobunaga have always been some of my favorite historical personages)

So I watched a couple different ones today. Hamatora is pretty cool, but I think I'm in love with Nobunagun (shit yes, second Oda Nobunaga related anime in the season? My inner fan boy is dancing... and burning a few villages down) I mean hell the female lead is a fellow weapon geek for one!

Even better then that (so far) is Witch Craft Works, which I am enjoy a whole hell of a bunch, the messing with gender roles is just the icing on a fun, action packed incendiary cake.

Tonari No Seki-kun and The Pilot's Love Song seem pretty good so far too!

....shit.

I just realized how much HASN'T debuted yet.

I apparently need to quit my job and just watch anime this season...

Note to self, still gotta watch Space Dandy... and catch up on Tokyo Ravens... fuck.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #604 on: 13 Feb 2014, 04:01 »

Well 6 weeks in and this season has started to suck hard, there are a few gems there, but they hide under a ton of shit.

Space Dandy - Tries so hard and fails in every way, it's just not funny at all, Dandy himself is a creep, the story lines all just suck so bad... a massive disappointment.

The Pilot's Love Song - Of all the new anime this season, this had one of my favourite opening episodes, every episode since then has just been a further spiral down. This is my biggest disappointment of the season so far, as it has a great universe and interesting premise, but you know, lets still base it in high school and have weird fan service with girls tickling each other, I'm sure that's what all women do at the beach...

Nisekoi - Started off ok, now it's just a generic harem full of generic misunderstandings. Not an enjoyable watch any more.

Pupa - Really should have known better than to pick this up. It's the best unintentional comedy of the season, because it's so incoherent and crap that you can't help but laugh.

Some good stuff though!

Seitokai Yakuindomo 2 - Hilariously perverted comedy. Just as good as the first season.

Silver Spoon 2 - Again, this is just as good as the first season, a great slice of life comedy with (shock horror) characters that seem like real human beings. One of my favourites of the season.

Pupipo - A great little short, and another of my favourites. Wakaba is pretty interesting, and Po is a great little mascot, I love the premise too.

Noragami - It borders on meh for me, but I guess that's just because i feel so critical of the season right now, it has some interesting characters, the premise is quite good, as is the pacing. I look forward to seeing how it can progress. Or at least I did until episode 6, and then I saw Bishamon's character design, it was pretty damn stupid and not at all in keeping with the rest of the show. Now I just await more exploitive fan service.

Oh, and some stuff you should only watch if you're a masochist

Recently, My Sister is Unusual - Where do I begin? Weird piss fetishising. Some rape apologist ghost. And incest. Please stay away.

SoniAni: super Sonico the Animation - Incredibly boring dross with very bad ecchi thrown in.

All in all, if Kill la Kill wasn't airing this season still, I'd probably cry my eyes out.
La vie est drôle

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #605 on: 13 Feb 2014, 11:13 »

You're missing anime of the season: Tonari no Seki-kun

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #606 on: 13 Feb 2014, 13:44 »

Ah I missed that off my list, I'm watching that too. It's definitely an entertaining watch, though I'm an episode or 2 behind right now...
La vie est drôle

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #607 on: 13 Feb 2014, 17:16 »

Any list that doesn't include Hozuki is incomplete.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #608 on: 15 Feb 2014, 01:37 »

Apparently yesterday one thread on /a/ about episode 18 of Kill la Kill reached 5000 messages (that would be 100 pages here) in one evening - and there were others.  I can't even have nightmares about moderating that level of traffic!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #609 on: 15 Feb 2014, 01:48 »

Apparently yesterday one thread on /a/ about episode 18 of Kill la Kill reached 5000 messages (that would be 100 pages here) in one evening - and there were others.  I can't even have nightmares about moderating that level of traffic!

It was such a great episode though. My body is still recovering.

Also, a day late, but I've just seen the best Valentines day poem of all time...

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Omae wa mo shindeiru
La vie est drôle

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #610 on: 15 Feb 2014, 06:23 »

I don't even know if threads on /a/ can get that long.  There is a limit where you have to make a new one before it auto-deletes.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #611 on: 15 Feb 2014, 07:06 »

4chan really isn't moderated so much as people who get really out of line are made examples of.

But holy fuck yes that last episode of Kill la Kill DESERVED the traffic. I freaking went super saiyan about half way through. I'm still blond this morning.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #612 on: 23 Feb 2014, 15:40 »

I could easily try to find excuses to avoid writing about NieA under 7, but instead I'll just grit my teeth and do it.

So what is it?  Well, it's the most puzzling anime I've yet seen.  It has a large element of slice-of-life (Miyuko's day-to-day existence and concerns), a little romance (the taciturn Genzo, who never does anything more exciting than coming over with a bag of rice), with added comedy (NieA's perpetual demand for food, and making UFOs that need to be plugged in to fly), ineffectual aliens (they're sort-of integrated into Earth society, and do nothing alienish aside from having antennae, apart from NieA who is perpetually building her UFOs), a mystery that could be deep but is never explained (the alien mothership, which talks only to NieA, says "sayonara" - we suppose, because NieA says it back - and then disappears by turning into fireflies that remind Miyuko of her father).

All this adds up to something and nothing.  Nothing, because there is no discernible plot or moral to be found (a few hints at a concern with discrimination are not built up into anything meaningful); something, because the characters themselves have appeal, and keep you coming back to follow them even though they don't really develop.  The realism of some of them - Miyuko the most - is satisfying; but the lack of development, or lack of explanation when something does happen (disappearance of the mothership), is unsatisfying to the same degree.

And why is the next episode preview actually an Indian talking about India?

In many ways the series seems unplanned, an experiment looking into how to write... something.  Some of the gentleness feeds into Haibane Renmei; and I even briefly thought that there might be a message about acceptance of one's lot in NieA under 7 which could have been an earlier version of that in Haibane Renmei.

I did actually enjoy watching it - there are so many details that are wonderful: anything to do with Miyuko; the range of NieA's expressions; the omnipresence of the mothership; the tension when NieA herself disappears for a whole episode.  But would I recommend it to anyone else?  Well, that's a really hard one - I'll just say, read what I've written and make your own choice.

----
PS - the music.  The background music is unobtrusive and appropriate, a lot of it simply acoustic guitar.  The OP is an acquired taste, which I was only beginning to acquire when the series ended.  The ED is sweet and jaunty, and quite hummable.

PPS - I should explain, for those who don't know, that NieA under 7 was made by ABe and the team that had just made Serial Experiments Lain, as a sort of relaxation.  It is far less known than the trio of Lain, Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei, and kind of hard to discover anything about.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2014, 01:05 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #613 on: 04 Mar 2014, 06:52 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #614 on: 04 Mar 2014, 09:40 »

Yeah. Say what you will about Gendo, he never sexually violated Shinji. Or brain washed him. Or tortured him. Sure the kid ended up traumatized and mentally/spiritually shattered, but Ragyo's daughters make him look like the very picture of (whiny) sound mental health.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #615 on: 04 Mar 2014, 10:23 »

Say what you will about Gendo, he never [...] Shinji. Or brain washed him.

In the film version, Gendou and Fuyu in 1.11 discuss brainwashing Shinji to get him to pilot, and in 3.33 Fuyu tells Shinji his memories of Yui's disappearance have been wiped.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #616 on: 04 Mar 2014, 12:02 »

I stand corrected. I haven't seen rebuild yet.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #617 on: 04 Mar 2014, 13:12 »

Because of the startling changes, I would now recommend waiting until the last film is available (maybe two years?) so that you can watch them through as a set.  Many people have found that watching 3.33 multiple times has helped in understanding it, but maybe 4.44 will provide explanations more naturally.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #618 on: 10 Mar 2014, 17:40 »

Because of the startling changes, I would now recommend waiting until the last film is available (maybe two years?) so that you can watch them through as a set.  Many people have found that watching 3.33 multiple times has helped in understanding it, but maybe 4.44 will provide explanations more naturally.

I really enjoyed 3.33, but I think before anyone watches it, they should understand that they skipped a lot of content following the immediate aftermath of 2.22
(click to show/hide)
I'm sure 4.44 will have answers for us though, Anno loves giving us answers...

:angelface:
La vie est drôle

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #619 on: 12 Mar 2014, 19:48 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #620 on: 12 Mar 2014, 21:07 »

Bugs does like his cross dressing.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #621 on: 13 Mar 2014, 21:51 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #622 on: 14 Mar 2014, 05:49 »

(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #623 on: 14 Mar 2014, 06:02 »

Not enough to do that to an innocent laptop! Hel's heels Hodges put a trigger warning on that!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #624 on: 14 Mar 2014, 16:52 »

GET HYPED MOTHERFUCKERS

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #625 on: 14 Mar 2014, 23:01 »

Awwwwwwwwwwwww yiss

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #626 on: 15 Mar 2014, 17:09 »

So I now run the anime club at the college. Aside from anything incredibly inappropriate, I've basically got no say in what we watch.

We watched one episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and two episodes of BlazBlue.

I marginally understood BlazBlue because I've played the game. Aside from that... I just... I don't... what?

Also, anime still all looks the same to me as far as animation style.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #627 on: 15 Mar 2014, 17:43 »

Some of the styles are very nuanced in their differences, some are waaaay different. (Mononoke and the mazes of Madoka Magica are different than, say, Fullmetal Alchemist.) Depends on the artist.

I actually quite liked Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The story is interesting and also I think it has one of the best bromances in the history of anime (Alex Armstrong and Sig Curtis). But you're not going to understand the story from just one episode, just like with any series.

I just finished Future Diary and I have to say I didn't like how abrupt the last episode was. I actually had to look up what was supposed to happen because they didn't cover enough of the ending. Other than that, it was a very fucked up story and I really liked it. Now I need to find a new one to watch. Preferably something silly, because that one was pretty depressing.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #628 on: 16 Mar 2014, 05:11 »

Now I need to find a new one to watch.

Coming soon: Paul's completely random list of anime, with one-line notes of what he thought of them.  Some of them may surprise you.

Preferably something silly, because that one was pretty depressing.

Girls und Panzer
NieA under 7
Cutie Honey (the excessive fan-service is structural, as in Kill la Kill)
The Eccentric Family (Uchouten Kazoku)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #629 on: 16 Mar 2014, 07:05 »

A Brief List of Comedies/Light/Non Super Srs anime
Hodge's list is good, Girls und Panzer is one of my favorite anime period.
-Toradora is a great little RomCom that leans heavy on the comedy but does it's rom very well. It also avoids my great anime pet peeve.
-Non Non Biyori is a super cute slice of life that one of my friends describes as aloe vera for the soul.
-Tenchi Muyo is one of my favorite series ever and is legendary as a SciFi RomCom Harem that of course does the fan service thing, but not excessively in my mind the OVAs or Universe (the T.V. version) are both great. Tenchi in Tokyo doesn't exist and if it did exist you shouldn't watch it.
Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita (Yuushibu, translation: I couldn't become a hero so reluctantly I got a job) is a solid comedy entry that leans heavy on the fanservice button, but is actually pretty good over all.
Bodacious Space Pirates - Still the most poorly named anime ever, fantastic from start to finish and the theme from Morimo Clover X is worth listening to every time. Plot focuses on a high school who finds out she's inheriting command of a pirate ship after her father's death. Lulz ensue. Despite the name there's almost no fan service despite the fair amount of school girls floating around in skirts in zero g.
Nana 7 of 7: ...This one's kinda hard to describe. You'd have to watch it, but comedy slice of life, it's a bit... out there.

Airing now:
Seitokai Yakuindomo - It's sex comedy, but with surprisingly low amounts of fan service, and no actual sex. Just some very... candid... conversations.
Hoozuki no Reitetsu (Cool-headed Hoozuk) - Great King Enma of the Japanese underworld wouldn't get through the day without his chief of staff Hoozuki, this anime's hilarious. Watch it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #630 on: 16 Mar 2014, 08:14 »

Toradora! was on hulu and I've been meaning to watch it, so that's what I went with. I quite like it. It's not ridiculous and quite fun.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 18:26 by Linds »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #631 on: 16 Mar 2014, 08:56 »

Win :3

CR Guest passes:
4RVVFF5Y9H9
6WBF68NQFX6
D4AK3XJFKUF
J47AYGCZZ4M

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #632 on: 17 Mar 2014, 04:25 »

Senketsu Anna:

Junketsu Elsa

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #633 on: 17 Mar 2014, 16:38 »

I could fill this entire thread with Kill la Kill fanart. I've seen a lot of anime, and I can't believe just how much I'm enjoying this show.

Any of you guys seen Mawaru Penguindrum? I feel I need to rewatch that very soon.
La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #634 on: 17 Mar 2014, 16:45 »

Kill la Kill ... I can't believe just how much I'm enjoying this show.

Your avi tells us that.  But yes, it is good!

I'm currently watching Honey and Clover, and finding it hard.  It's really very good; but like nothing else I ever seen, it is drawing out sad (not bad) memories of that period of my life - it hits home in so many ways, and that hurts, even now.  I guess this is a particularly personal reaction...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #635 on: 18 Mar 2014, 17:19 »

In the last couple months I finally watched Attack On Titan and Madoka Magica and they both filled me with amazing and horrible feelings.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #636 on: 18 Mar 2014, 18:41 »

YUP. Madoka was a very interesting take on magical girls and Attack is brutally awesome. Seriously can't wait for season 2.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #637 on: 19 Mar 2014, 03:50 »

Do not watch the third Madoka film, Rebellion, unless you like seeing the logic and completeness of the series (or first two films) ending being unconvincingly ripped to shreds with a view to making a follow-on series.  The original Madoka series really is best taken as it stands as a convincing whole.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #638 on: 19 Mar 2014, 07:07 »

Do not watch the third Madoka film, Rebellion, unless you like seeing the logic and completeness of the series (or first two films) ending being unconvincingly ripped to shreds with a view to making a follow-on series.  The original Madoka series really is best taken as it stands as a convincing whole.

Do, however, read the Madoka Magica: A Different Story manga. It's about what would have happened if
(click to show/hide)
and I found it a very satisfying read.
La vie est drôle

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #639 on: 21 Mar 2014, 20:52 »

This is me, watching the latest episode of Kill La Kill.

I am going to be slightly disappointed when this anime ends, and I cannot wait to buy the DVD box set.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #640 on: 22 Mar 2014, 13:06 »

I'm going to be more than slightly disappointed. At least we have a new season of JoJo in April.
La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #641 on: 22 Mar 2014, 17:22 »

There will be an addition OVA episode of KlK - the hint I've seen suggests humorous.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #642 on: 22 Mar 2014, 19:11 »

I dunno, from that video I was getting more a vibe of Hades from Disney's Hercules going on a rage fest than Super Saiyan...

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #643 on: 23 Mar 2014, 16:55 »

From tinycrown on tumblr
(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #644 on: 23 Mar 2014, 17:58 »

I try to keep in mind that EVERYTHING Trigger does is done in the heart of satire by way of OTT.

Speaking of that one cute couple though: http://imgur.com/a/8fXUr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #645 on: 23 Mar 2014, 20:21 »

I really liked Toradora! and I wish the ending hasn't been so abrupt. I feel like it could have used one more episode to even things out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #646 on: 23 Mar 2014, 20:24 »

Yeah they over extended just a hair too much sadly.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #647 on: 24 Mar 2014, 02:52 »

A lot of people who aren't overly familiar with anime write off Toradora because of Taiga's appearance and personality at the start of the show.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #648 on: 24 Mar 2014, 04:23 »

I was honestly surprised by Toradora, I thought it was a comedy initially... then BAM! Right in the gut with the *actual primary genre*

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #649 on: 24 Mar 2014, 04:53 »

I think I've mentioned that it's one of my favorites earlier in this thread.  I rewatch it/watch people streaming it leading up to Christmas every year.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23   Go Up