THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 00:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 363397 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #650 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:03 »

The DVD box set for Toradora is dropping July 1st of this year if you didn't know already
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #651 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:27 »

Wait, they dubbed Toradora?  This is so weird to me.

Okay, so I just watched the trailer and it wasn't that bad!  Ami's voice is wrong to me though and it's really weird not hearing Rie's tsundere voice coming out of Taiga.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #652 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:53 »

I'm not sure I'll bother with the dub. The sub is too ingrained in my tiny simian brain.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #653 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:27 »

From tinycrown on tumblr
(click to show/hide)

But doesn't this whole piece hinge on the idea that
(click to show/hide)

I don't think that Kill la Kill is particularly good for women at all, neither do I think that TTGL was good for men. I watch it because I enjoy it, whether it is fanservice or not is irrelevant to me in that I stopped viewing it that way at about episode 4, but yes it is there, it doesn't take away from the show, or give anything to it. I find it hypocritical that someone can be so disgusted by the show and say "I watch it for the fight scenes", that just reeks of a shallowness that she clearly doesn't have as exampled in that blog post, though she makes a habit of confusing her opinion with fact...
La vie est drôle

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #654 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:55 »

Going back into the oversexualization inherent in KLK, especially the transformations, and forgive me if I'm the guy pointing out the joke/point here, but the entire idea is skewering and turning up to 11, the common tropes inherent to a magical girl anime. What Madoka did by deconstruction and nightmare fuel KLK is is doing via Trigger's trademark hot blooded OTT and comedy. There's a lot going on in KLK over all, lots of themes being poked at and explored, but the over powered student council, the "fighting" high school, every trope they're getting in to is being exploded for a reason. It's not great for women or for men, but does everything have to be?

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #655 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:17 »

Going back into the oversexualization inherent in KLK, especially the transformations, and forgive me if I'm the guy pointing out the joke/point here, but the entire idea is skewering and turning up to 11, the common tropes inherent to a magical girl anime. What Madoka did by deconstruction and nightmare fuel KLK is is doing via Trigger's trademark hot blooded OTT and comedy. There's a lot going on in KLK over all, lots of themes being poked at and explored, but the over powered student council, the "fighting" high school, every trope they're getting in to is being exploded for a reason. It's not great for women or for men, but does everything have to be?

Where's the "like" button here. This is pretty much how I feel about the whole show, everything is OTT, but as you get to ep 17, you realise that there is a reason for everything that has happened so far, I've seen much better criticisms of the show than that tumblr post, none of them hindered my enjoyment of the show in any way.
La vie est drôle

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #656 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:53 »

Michael and I are probably going to watch Kill La Kill after we finish A Certain Scientific Railgun or Chuunibyo. A friend of ours loves it, but sometimes his tastes are questionable to me, so we'll see.

Also I like Taiga all throughout Toradora. She doesn't know how to act around certain people and seriously, she feels rather realistic most of the time. All of the characters do, I think that's why I liked it so much - it wasn't ridiculous like most romantic school comedies.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #657 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:03 »

I run the animé club at college and the students are trying to convince me to let them watch Kill La Kill. Pretty glad I read this thread first.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #658 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:57 »

Do they discuss things they watch or just watch? Might make for meaningful discussion...?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #659 on: 27 Mar 2014, 13:45 »

I run the animé club at college and the students are trying to convince me to let them watch Kill La Kill. Pretty glad I read this thread first.

As bad as some of the themes are, the animation and story are pretty great. You can still like something while knowing there is something wrong with it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #660 on: 27 Mar 2014, 13:48 »

We just watch. We're not (deliberately) letting 16 year olds watch something full of rape themes and borderline nudity.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #661 on: 27 Mar 2014, 18:10 »

So today in anime:

Kill La Kill's finale got delayed because Trigger are massive cock teases.

Strange+ which I think is a short anime based on a manga took the time to lampoon Sailor Moon with... uh... it's free on CrunchyRoll just go see it for yourself. It's a couple minutes tops so just giggle if you're familiar with SM or a fan.

Meanwhile you might remember my guilty pleasure that I rant and rave about a lot Golden Time. It completed today, and while there was a litte more drama and general weirdness between hiter and yon but it paid off today. Holy fuck it paid off in SPADES

This is me, watching today's Golden Time:

8/10

Engaged to the Unidentified also finished up today. A cute little paranormal romcom that could have used more paranormal and more "rom"... the com was pretty decent over all, but it all kinda fell flat by focusing on the com and some of the side characters and sacrificing actual relationship development between Hakuya and Kobeni, the leads. It does not fall prey to my most hated anime trope of no relationship resolution, because the entire anime felt like a long awkward first date, and to get resolution you actually have to start something.

7/10

The Current Purchase List (*= there's a American Release available through Amazon or a similar agent)
Good Luck Girl* (shockingly good dub)
Girls Und Panzer*
Kaze no Stigma*
Claymore*
Toradora! (American Release July 2014)
Kill La Kill
Blast of Tempest (Release exists, but costs a fortune... come on Aniplex!)
Psycho Pass* (Waiting on a Complete series box set)

My purchase list is generally stuff I think is so damn good I want physical copies of it in case the internet dies, I also actively want to give money to the team that made it. It does include the occasional anime like Infinite Stratos that isn't particularly ground breaking but I love any way. Junk. Food. <3

Speaking of, Gareth, while I wouldn't recommend Kill La Kill for 16 year olds (I will protest rape being described as a "theme" in Kill La Kill, it's not, rape/sexual assault is implied in a few scenes within Kill La Kill, and it's all about power dynamic, as actual rape is. It's disturbing and disquieting, and it's absolutely supposed to be.) Good Luck Girl and Girls Und Panzer are both solid anime with a comedy focus and tanks respectively that are solid for "all ages". Ditto Kaze No Stigma. If you're cool with "some" nudity implied or otherwise, Ghost in the Shell as a series, particularly the movie is a solid pick up for the kiddies, especially if you can pick out the right professor from the philosophy department to give a guest lecture about some of the themes presented, then it's both awesome, classic cyberpunk AND an educational experience! Woo!

Even if the nature of the soul and transhumanism is a little too deep for your first discussion I would heartily encourage getting the group talking and analyzing whatever they're watching. Learning to analyze cinema is a rather refreshing and enjoyable mental exercise in my opinion, and once you force yourself to actually think about something, you can find all sorts of themes and information you wouldn't have seen otherwise, this is particularly true for animation. Each frame, cell and line inside a piece of animation is there on purpose. Why? What does this or that serve? Why was X drawn like that? Albeit it's a little more difficult with another culture's film/animation because they have a host of unique themes and references that you really won't pick up on or get outside of that culture without study. For example my Kaiju Eiga thread, the roots of Pacific Rim and the Daikaiju (Giant Monster) Eiga (movie) were briefly discussed, and the central emotion behind Godzilla, and all that followed him, was the feeling of helplessness against the unrelenting force of the nuclear weapons released on Hiroshima and Nagasaki during the Second World War.

Some other possible recommendations for your club:
Samurai 7 (Action, a classic anime)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (film)
Akira (Cyberpunk, Classic)
The Princess and the Pilot (film)
Strait Jacket (Action, violence warning)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #662 on: 28 Mar 2014, 05:30 »

Kill la Kill.  So the adventure has ended, and with the end of the life fibres our heroes can become normal and fully human youngsters at last:

Definitely one of the greats, though I don't think it trumps TTGL ultimately.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #663 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:09 »

Bastard! Spoilers much? I kid, I kid, I already saw those else where. For me personally KLK resonated more for me then TTGL. I don't think I ever really made it all the way through Gurren Laggen, I saw what it was doing and appreciated it for that, but it just wasn't engaging me right to keep my interest... which I know is a blasphemy to some people.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #664 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:15 »

I reckon that most people most interested in KlK have been glued to the screen at the moment of release!  And showing that the heroes defeat the enemy and survive at the end is not the greatest spoiler of all time, I'd say ;)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #665 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:49 »

Did you not see the second half of TTGL? That's sad if true, it's the best part.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #666 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:52 »

Kill la Kill

I need to talk about cars for a minute, and I'm sorry if I bore anyone with it, but if anyone has ever watched Top Gear they'll know that Clarkson seems to love cars that just aren't perfect, because they have a certain something, he calls it the soul of the machine which I guess is quite an apt way of describing it, but the flaws of the car don't hinder the enjoyment of liking it. It's why people will praise an Alfa Romeo for having passion and flair and being as fun as hell, it is not perfect, but by fucking god will you love it.

And it made me think about this show, it's not perfect, it doesn't have the complexity of some of the other shows in the creators back catalogue, it doesn't have the budget either so the animation isn't always on par with some other action shows (even if the style was great). However, Kill la Kill never strived for perfection, it never tried to be anything other than what it was. As a result, any of it's flaws end up actually endearing the show to me more, and the more criticisms I read of the show, the more I love it.

(click to show/hide)

The ending was just the last brick in the skyscraper of my mind that cements this show as my all time favourite. People can tell me that it's flawed and I'll agree, people can tell me that there are shows that maybe do these themes better and I might also have to agree. However, no one will ever take away from me just how much enjoyment I got from this show, no one will take away how much of myself I ended up investing into watching it, and no one will know how profoundly I find myself changed by it.

5/5
La vie est drôle

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #667 on: 28 Mar 2014, 22:09 »

A brief review of Kill La Kill poking at it's deeper themes.

If you want the basic, characters, story, animation, music/sound breakdown then stop right here. 10/10. Which is also my over all review of the anime. If that's all your looking for then you can stop right here, because we're about to go deeper. Spoilers! They're about to happen! So if you've been living under a rock and have yet to finish Kill La Kill... well what the fuck are you doing here?

(click to show/hide)

Other stuff that's ended.

Strike the Blood 7/10
It was a little bit generic and some of the arcs really didn't do well for me over all but I had a damn good time and really love a lot of the characters! It's activated my anime pet peeve of a lack of relationship resolution though it did at least give us a hint of a "romantic" ending.

Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon), Second Season 9/10
Fantastic is as fantastic does, a sweet little slice of life with some very real drama and some very well done character arcs. The pet peeve of no romantic arc resolution remains though. Goddess DAMN it Hachi kiss Mikage already. You want to and it's pretty clear she wouldn't mind hell, Mom, Grandma and Great-Grandma already have you marked as marriage material. Get with the program.

Sakura Trick - 6/10
It's a cute little romance slice of life with a heaping scoop of fan service ala mode to go with it. It's really disappointing in the end because I was hoping for a heavily character driven lesbian romance and well... I didn't get it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #669 on: 06 Apr 2014, 07:40 »

Those are hilarious!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #670 on: 06 Apr 2014, 15:29 »

Here are some more from the same artist not linked on that site:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #671 on: 06 Apr 2014, 15:44 »

Kiss and Robocop are my favorites.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #672 on: 07 Apr 2014, 07:21 »

Poor Ryuuko...

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #673 on: 07 Apr 2014, 08:02 »

Poor Ryuuko...

Don't do this to me...

La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #674 on: 07 Apr 2014, 10:26 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #675 on: 09 Apr 2014, 15:57 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #676 on: 10 Apr 2014, 08:42 »

I rather liked Lucky Star >.>;

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #677 on: 10 Apr 2014, 21:00 »

Goddess be this season is filled with awesome :3

Black Bullet - Action, comedy, mystery, some great fighting from the word go... could we ditch the loli though? Odin's beard.

Love Live Season 2 - I'll be in my room with the door locked singing along with Muse. Don't you goddess DAMN judge me.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san is cute AND hilarious! So far my unexpected "Hell yes" this season. If only it wasn't a shorty anime. T_T

Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior is also coming off as rather funny with some potential cute moments.

Blade and Soul has a lot of action which I'm enjoying even if the female lead ripped her fighting style off from God of War wholesale... but it's really not giving me a decent "hook" yet. It's cool, and I'll probably keep watching, but it's gonna need to step it up.

The File of Young Kindaichi Returns - Looks good, decent hook and drama in the first ep, but I'm kinda disappointed in Kindaichi himself. He's got some decent moves so far
(click to show/hide)
but I wanna see some proper deductive reasoning and case busting the old school way too!

Nanana's Buried Treasure - Wow! I'm quite sure exactly what they're selling but holy FUCK I am in and want more of it.

The World Is Still Beautiful - Hmmm, it's goofy, but I'll keep watching it. No real opinion on it so far though.

No Game No Life - Also kinda a "waaaaaat" moment but the first ep was good, feels like it moved kinda fast though

Dai-Shogun - I feel like this one's gonna be popular in certain sectors, the animation's OTT but in a VERY different manner from say, Trigger's stuff. Comedy, action and ALL the fan service.

If Her Flag Breaks - I came into this expecting NOT to like this, but damn me I really do! Holy crap it's cute.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #678 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:42 »

That list lacks JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. Are you not worthy of Dio Brando and Jotaro Kujo's awesome? By far the best anime this season, and no question.

La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #679 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:55 »

I only rarely follow any new anime as broadcast (well, KlK is the only one I ever have), so that list means little to me at present. 

Right now, I'm waiting for a copy of Mushi-shi to arrive, which is the next new thing I'll watch - I gather it has aspects in common with Kino's Journey (one of my very favourite series of all - relaxed, but deeply thoughtful), but less intellectual.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #680 on: 12 Apr 2014, 07:09 »

I only rarely follow any new anime as broadcast (well, KlK is the only one I ever have), so that list means little to me at present. 

Right now, I'm waiting for a copy of Mushi-shi to arrive, which is the next new thing I'll watch - I gather it has aspects in common with Kino's Journey (one of my very favourite series of all - relaxed, but deeply thoughtful), but less intellectual.
Mushishi also has a lot of horror themes, and can be pretty nihilistic at times. Having said that, it is still brilliant.
La vie est drôle

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #681 on: 13 Apr 2014, 05:50 »

I really like Mushishi but I've never been able to watch more than two episodes in a row without falling asleep.  It's not boring but the pace and color palette relax me into falling asleep in my chair.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #682 on: 16 Apr 2014, 01:43 »

I started Brother, Dear Brother at the weekend, 5 episodes in so far (watching 1 a day) and I have to say it's bloody brilliant so far. I love that old shoujo style, and this is classic shoujo to the core, lots of melodrama, intrigue, scheming etc. And the characters are all so fab... Kouru no Kimi is love.
La vie est drôle

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #683 on: 16 Apr 2014, 04:30 »

I started Usagi Drop last night... I ended up watching about half the season in a sitting, and my goddess the FEELS. Simply magnificent, the reaction of the family in the first episode to Rin was just heart rending...

I just realized that, "single adult male raises child alone" is a pretty common theme in anime. I wonder why that is...

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #684 on: 16 Apr 2014, 05:42 »

I can only think of one other anime that deals with that trope and it has a totally different tone compared to Usagi Drop.  And most people will tell you not to read the manga because of a certain time skip.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #685 on: 16 Apr 2014, 06:02 »

Yeah I was just discussing the time skip with my buddy who introduced me to the series. It actually makes me want to read the manga more.... >.>;

I can think of the trope appearing in multiple anime, and it's the central theme of at least four or five.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #686 on: 16 Apr 2014, 14:33 »

Single or widow/divorced?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #687 on: 16 Apr 2014, 14:34 »

In this case it's a relative taking the girl in after her parent's death.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #688 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:45 »

I've seen that one in a few. Lucky Star, Ouran Host Club, The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye, and Clannad After Story (Sorta) come to mind. Although most of the time, the dad's kinda played for laughs.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #689 on: 17 Apr 2014, 10:17 »

Usually it's a mix of slice of life and comedy with some lethal d'aww factor.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #690 on: 18 Apr 2014, 11:42 »

It's also a thing in Fruits Basket, for two characters (Kyo and to an extent Tohru).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #691 on: 18 Apr 2014, 12:28 »

There's aspects of it in Neon Genesis Evangelion, in which all the children have lost their mothers.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #692 on: 18 Apr 2014, 13:55 »

Oh yeah it appears as a side thing in tons of anime, they (animators) tend to like pairing up cute little girls with gruff badasses the size of bears. El Cazadore de la Bruja stands out in my mind in particular for that.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #693 on: 18 Apr 2014, 16:50 »

There's aspects of it in Neon Genesis Evangelion, in which all the children have lost their mothers.
Which would have nothing at all to do with NGE being one of the most influential anime series ever.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #694 on: 18 Apr 2014, 17:21 »

Not for this particular trope or theme really.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #695 on: 19 Apr 2014, 12:03 »

I don't think Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is gonna be my cup of tea.

In other news, I love the OP for Kindachi the Younger.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #696 on: 19 Apr 2014, 19:15 »

*sigh* And there's another song I have to add to my long list of "Things I want to write adaptations for" XD So much for my illusion of free time after exams...
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #697 on: 28 Apr 2014, 06:56 »

OK, so it's the manga - but I think most people still associate it with the anime...

Almost a year after the last pages of Sadamoto's Neon Genesis Evangelion manga were published, the final tankobon volume has been announced, for 20th Nov 2014.  It will have 28 extra pages, though it's unknown if or how they fit into the story, and there will be a limited edition with an extra booklet, CD, and bookends for the set.  It's not yet known if there will be a simultaneous release in English as there was for the previous volume.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #698 on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:44 »

OK, so it's the manga - but I think most people still associate it with the anime...

Almost a year after the last pages of Sadamoto's Neon Genesis Evangelion manga were published, the final tankobon volume has been announced, for 20th Nov 2014.  It will have 28 extra pages, though it's unknown if or how they fit into the story, and there will be a limited edition with an extra booklet, CD, and bookends for the set.  It's not yet known if there will be a simultaneous release in English as there was for the previous volume.

Have you read the last chapters of the manga? I liked it, so I'll definitely be buying this to complete the collection.

Also, I tweeted Viz Media a while ago about when we'll see the english release, and they said that it shouldn't be too long after the Japanese release. I'd expect it around this time next year.
La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #699 on: 28 Apr 2014, 12:10 »

Sure I've read it ;)  I like the ending, myself, though there are those who think
(click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Up