THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355160 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #700 on: 03 May 2014, 05:38 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #701 on: 03 May 2014, 06:12 »

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san is quite possibly one of my favorite anime of the season, and one of the top "short" anime I've watched recently. Dogs and cats! Living together! The world's gone crazy! X3

Coffin Princess Chaika also upped the stakes with another lethal loli hanging around. So it's clear what direction that's going now. Thankfully the perversion is kept a a minimum as this anime has murderin' to get done and lolita fashion to design. Seriously both "girls" (one of them's a shape shifting... just watch it) are wearing the kind of clothes that would cost several paychecks for the fashion conscious young woman on the go. With that in mind I fully expect Chaika to be a fairly popular cosplay specifically for that.

Also Love Live remains one of the best things ever, especially with their new animation method which is a significant upgrade. I am convinced I enjoy this anime a little too muc
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #702 on: 03 May 2014, 06:34 »

Currently into the second season of A Certain Scientific Railgun. Holy shit, the first season dealt with some messed up stuff, but the second season has some seriously fucked up characters. I was not expecting that. But it's so good.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #703 on: 03 May 2014, 15:08 »

Have you watched the Index series?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #704 on: 03 May 2014, 17:52 »

Not yet. But I will eventually!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #705 on: 03 May 2014, 18:49 »

So, I've determined that The Irregular at Magic High School is pretty good, excellent action, some fun characters, but the male and female lead's constant game of incest chicken is kinda... disconcerting, especially when it's clear the little sister ISN'T playing incest chicken, and if she is she's playing to win...

:psyduck:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #706 on: 03 May 2014, 21:43 »

I've always been a little put off about Index, really. On the one hand, Railgun is one of my favorite series, despite the slight problem with continuity between it an Index, and I just love that world. On the other hand, Index did seem a little heavy-handed with Touma's tendencies for "misfortune", mostly in the fan-service-y moments. Explaining why there are so many female characters, okay. Crossing over with the Science side and technically being OP from being a "zero", awesome. Having an alarming tendency to make girl's magical clothing explode, two bathrooms, and that one cheerleading outfit thing from the Daihasei? ... eh...

Honestly, I liked the much brighter mood of Railgun. They did tone it down a bit for the anime adaptation though (Kiyama actually gets close to shooting herself and doesn't do a heel-face turn later, and a lot of the cool stuff from the Poltergeist and Chemicaloid incidents are questionable/non canon)

On a side note: Anyone watching Mekaku City Actors? I'm considering breaking my "Will not watch currently airing series" rule just because the Kagerou Project has taken my life over so completely in the past 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2014, 05:57 by Asterus »
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #707 on: 04 May 2014, 07:10 »

I am watching it! I like it, but it gets a little surreal at times even for me.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #708 on: 04 May 2014, 20:02 »

Monogatari surreal, or that one bit at the end of the the original evangelion surreal? XD
Sounds like it's reflecting the original MVs then, which is good if you're somewhat familiar with parts of the story already. Could work either way then.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #709 on: 04 May 2014, 20:26 »

Uh neither of those really, but closer to Monogatari.

It's reminding me of something but I'm not sure what...

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #710 on: 05 May 2014, 02:07 »

If I were to tell you that most of the Internet is referring to it as Mekaku Shitty Actors, that might tell you just how good an adaption of the source material it is.

Anyway, after 4-5 weeks in, here's my assessment of what's currently airing.

Akuma No Riddle - Reeks of wasted potential. First episode was a great setup into what could have been an intensely dark anime about assassins in a school, what we actually get is a monster of the week formula, where things happen with absolutely no explanation and no setup. And Haru is one of the most annoying characters I've seen in a long time.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san - A cute short, the characters are fun and the comedy tends to hit mostly the right notes, but it's not up there with the likes of Miss Monochrome.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - The JoJo franchise has always been close to my heart, and this is the best adaption I could ever have hoped for, as well as one of the best manga adaptions I've ever seen. It's fabulously masculine and cheesy, the character poses are fabulous and ridiculous, it has fabulous characters, and it's altogether Fabulous. Did I say that it's Fabulous? Cause it is.

Kantoku Fuyuki Todoki - Best comedy this season, a short about the master Anno? What true anime fan could say no to that? We get an insight into his giant geekhood as well as his married life, and it's absolutely hilarious.

Mahou Shoujo Taisen - Another short, it has a gorgeous colour palette and I love the character designs, so far the story hasn't amounted to much, and I can't help but feeling bad that this is the best Gainax can do right now. However, for something to switch your brain off and enjoy, it's pretty good.

No Game No Life - First 3 episodes were great, 4th was a massive step down from that. As long as the show doesn't take itself seriously it works and it works really well, as soon as it tries to go for the serious stuff, it falls flat and feels contrived.

Ping Pong The Animation - Excepting JoJo, this is the best show this season by a long shot. A sports anime that doesn't follow the classic shounen cliches (thankfully), a protagonist that is easy to identify with, an art style that is right out the left field and total eye candy, a fast pace that doesn't make you feel lost, and a cast of characters that feel real. I cannot recommend this enough.

Sidonia no Kishi - from the best, to the worst show that I'm watching. To call this wasted potential is just not a strong enough phrase, the first episode was great, and then everything afterwards just pisses and shits all over that. We go from this amazingly detailed dystopian science fiction world, to high school antics and a harem with OP MC because the plot calls for it. Also, the CGI is so horribly ugly, I've seen MMDs that look a fuckton better.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii - A properly self aware shoujo, it's not trying to change the face of anime with what it does, but it's a hell of a lot of fun, and even when the story itself isn't all that interesting, Princess Nike carries it through by being an absolutely brilliant character.

Also, a quick note on the Raildex universe, it depends what you like in anime, Railgun was always supposed to be more of a SoL with it's story (except for that arc in the second season), whereas Index was always supposed to be a generic shounen. If you liked Railgun, you won't necessarily like Index, I didn't, Touma is completely insufferable, his speeches are total bullshit, the whole I AM STRONG BECAUSE I AM WEAK HURR DURR thing is boring and is just a gaping plot hole inside it's own universe, and Accelerator is a boring as fuck villain in Index, and I abhor what they do with him in the second season of Index too.
La vie est drôle

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #711 on: 05 May 2014, 18:05 »

That is one of the more telling summaries for Index on TvTropes: Everyone who shows up to be an antagonist and has a name has to be horribly overpowered, just to make sure Touma is the only person who could possibly defeat them without technically handwaving anything.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #712 on: 12 May 2014, 00:46 »

I've decided I just don't get anime.

We're watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in Anime club with the students and we just got to the episode of it where
(click to show/hide)
this only minutes after goofball comedy with the dog jumping on the kid. You can't expect me to take that shit seriously when you have that awkward a tonal shift. This is like taking time out from fucking Arthur the Aardvark to make an AIDS joke.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #713 on: 12 May 2014, 01:35 »

I've decided I just don't get anime.

We're watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in Anime club with the students and we just got to the episode of it where
(click to show/hide)
this only minutes after goofball comedy with the dog jumping on the kid. You can't expect me to take that shit seriously when you have that awkward a tonal shift. This is like taking time out from fucking Arthur the Aardvark to make an AIDS joke.

The original manga does it so much better. As does the original FMA anime.
My problem with FMA: B is that they try to make the disturbing parts extra bad by these weird tone shifts, trying to lull you into a false sense of security before hitting you with something pretty awful so you're dumbfounded by it, occasionally it works, more often than not it doesn't. The original manga just deals with these things in a very cold way, things happen, and they're terrible, and the emphasis is on the act itself, not in trying to build everything up as a-ok before trying to crush your spirit.
La vie est drôle

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #714 on: 12 May 2014, 04:47 »

*shudder* That whole arc was still really not okay.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #715 on: 12 May 2014, 07:13 »

FMA is a weird egg.. I really wouldn't judge all anime by it. It's an awesome show, don't get me wrong... But those sudden shifts in tone. It can go from psychotic killers carving up people, to goofy courtship, to talking about sacrificing entire towns of people to power a blood ritual to Alphonse and Edward super deformed and arguing over milk in the space of a half hour episode... It gets strange, like it can't quite make up it's mind what tone or audience it is after. I know they need some break from the rather unrelenting darkness of the main storyline, but still...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #716 on: 13 May 2014, 07:24 »

Even though Brotherhood follows the manga more closely, the original is still in my view the better anime.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #717 on: 13 May 2014, 16:35 »

I've only seen Brotherhood and I quite liked it. The FA:B arc that Gareth talked about is imo the most fucked up one, but really, that whole show is dark. It may jump around from being comedic to being utterly depressing/horrifying, but if it didn't, it would be really hard to watch. Same with A Certain Scientific Railgun. Now that I've finished it, without the comedy scenes/episodes, that series would be ungodly depressing, but unlike FA:B I think it balanced the comedy with the drama/horror much better.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #718 on: 14 May 2014, 01:18 »

Some things are ungodly depressing though. If that's the story you want to tell, tell it. I just feel like the screwball comedy in this is completely undermining the dark tone of the rest of it. It's absolutely wrenching tonal shifts. It's similar to the kind of issues I have with music - if you make an album that's too eclectic you end up diluting the band's personality.

It just makes me feel like it's a poorly made show, honestly.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #719 on: 14 May 2014, 01:50 »

I think one thing to take into consideration is where these things get published, FMA as a manga was originally serialised in a shounen magazine, so it's aimed at mid-teens, mainly boys, and to get published on one of those there are certain things you have to adhere to, as a result FMA could never be that dark.

Anyone who wants to see exactly what this means should read Vinland Saga, where the first 4-5 volumes were published in a shounen magazine, and then got dropped and picked straight up by a seinen, the shift in tone (by which I mean violence and gore) is immediately apparent.
La vie est drôle

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #720 on: 14 May 2014, 02:17 »

But you can alleviate the darkness without going balls out LOL DOG GOOFBALL COMEDY LOL. It just seems insulting to the audience.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #721 on: 14 May 2014, 03:37 »

Definitely, and the manga manages it so much better than FMA:B. The original FMA anime starts off like that, but as it gets progressively darker, the comedy just stops entirely.
La vie est drôle

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #722 on: 14 May 2014, 03:43 »

It's also put into harsher light because I am watching it alongside Baccano, which is managing a much stronger balance between the darkness and the lightheartedness.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #723 on: 14 May 2014, 04:01 »

Baccano is on my significant backlog, I'm sure I'll get around to it very soon though.
La vie est drôle

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #724 on: 15 May 2014, 06:14 »

The 2009 version of FMA was more complex to me, since it dealt with the morality of using alchemy and the great spoiler plot point of the "truth", but Brotherhood was a LOT more cleanly wrapped up. You got to see more of Amestris, more of the continent in general, and no friggin Rose/Winry loose ends at the end of the series. I think the only thing that was shown but not really addressed in Brotherhood was a brief shot of the fake Elric brothers.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #725 on: 19 May 2014, 18:53 »

I am highly disappointed that there isn't more than one season of Blue Exorcist. I really like this show...

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #726 on: 25 May 2014, 18:36 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #727 on: 26 May 2014, 00:01 »

Time for me to write about Mushi-Shi.  I watched it in my usual manner of taking a couple of episodes, or several, at a time, as it fitted into life (and long-haul flights).  And well - yes, I enjoyed it a lot. 

I love the look of it - the pastel colours, the backgrounds, the designs, are all pretty perfect.  I could criticise the slightly stylised face proportions (most obvious on Ginko himself), and the way that facial details disappear at less distance than might be expected, but I found neither of these things troublesome.  Even the slight tendency to same-face for the young boys especially is no problem when they are so appealing in any case - why change a winning formula? 

I love the music, except for the OP.  The different closing theme and instrumentation for every episode builds up to a marvellous compendium of music - I seriously need to get whatever soundtrack albums are available.  But that OP - please! - it grated on me every time I heard it.

The pacing is very gentle, possibly soporific at times (but that might be partly a result of the circumstances under which I watched some parts.  But equally, it is really nice to watch something relaxed, avoiding the need to be frenetic to attract attention.

And what of the substance?  Well, I should say that my mind simply does not do the kind of analysis that the article linked by robersora presents - partly a degree of laziness, and partly simply not having a philosophical bent of mind.  The stories are fanciful, of course, and so can be seen as myths.  Such stories are best value when there are real-world lessons to be learnt from them - and the article points at some which I hadn't perceived without help.  I don't know to what extent the stories tie into existing Japanese folk-lore, but I had the feeling while watching that my lack of a Japanese cultural background might be causing me to miss some aspects of what was going on.  (This might also tie in with Xard's advice to watch them over a period.)  None the less, the stories are enjoyable in themselves, and they were sufficiently distinct that I didn't get bored by keeping going. 

The lesson that seemed to come round most often, in different forms, was of the virtue of acceptance.  Take the hand that fate has dealt you, and roll with it, or learn from it, or make the best use of it, or rejoice in it, or whatever.  I suspect this is culturally more suitable to the Japanese viewpoint than to some Western viewpoints which might suggest that it is up to you to change your world as you see fit.

As for a second series, I wonder if it was necessary.  I'm sure it will be as good as the first, but I wonder if there might be a danger of running out of ideas that fit within the framework.  However, I'm sufficiently intrigued that I'll probably give it a go in due course.

The comparison that comes up is Kino's Journey.  There are indeed many similarities.  Kino is an observer of societies, usually trying to stand aside from them, but sometimes getting caught up in their activities.  I get the feeling that the characteristics of the various societies depicted cover a wider range than the behaviour of the mushi, though the smaller number of episodes helps with that.  Kino's OP is as good as Mushi-Shi's is bad, in my mind.  The pastel colours in Kino are duller, more brown in particular.  But on the whole I would expect the same people to enjoy both series.  If I was forced to choose between them - the desert-island anime, so to speak - then I would take Kino; but I would understand someone who disagreed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #728 on: 27 May 2014, 07:11 »

I started watching Moon Phase with my neighbors on Netflix, it's surprisingly endearing. Art style and animation's lovely and they're getting a surprising amount of mileage out of a stereotypical tsundere loli character. They've managed to get me onboard with shipping the main couple which takes some work usually.

I despise the OP though. With all my soul I hate it. "Nekomimi Mode" is a series of random noises with no lyrics beyond the words "Nekomimi Mode" splashed over some "cute" images.  Fuck off and come back with a real song Moon Phase.

It's been about a year and some change, so I think I'm going to rewatch Blast of Tempest soon, everything about that anime is just wonderful, the actions, plot twists, constant references to "The Tempest" and "Hamlet" (the former being my favorite Shakespearean play, and the latter one I enjoy) built around rich characters with wonderful depth to them and a romance that you actually end up rooting for, that's delayed by both character's, again very real, personal hang ups and isn't resolved by a finger snap.
(click to show/hide)

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #729 on: 27 May 2014, 17:28 »

Uhm, pretty new at anime (watched most of Miyazaki's films + Cowboy Bebop and, uhm.. Pokemon?!), so anyone got anything to recommend?

Preferably something that's well dubbed, not "too japanese" and have interesting characters and story. Fantasy/mythology and SciFi elements are very welcome!

(Definitively not anything like Bleach, Naruto or DBZ. I'm not watching that.)
I dunno..

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #730 on: 27 May 2014, 19:36 »

Look up the movie Summer Wars if you want an interesting movie about family and hacking/AI stuff. The animation is well done and the dub is pretty good. (Although I do prefer subs.) If you're interested in a series about getting stuck inside of an MMORPG, then I'd highly recommend Sword Art Online. I don't think either of those would qualify as "too Japanese".

In other news, we're watching Kill la Kill right now and all I can say is, yes, there were definitely two cats fucking in episode 2. Michael saw that and said, "Yup, that's what kind of anime this is going to be..."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #731 on: 28 May 2014, 03:33 »

It's Trigger. That's EXACTLY what kind of anime it's going to be.

Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo and Black Lagoon are always solid starting points with lots of action, mostly a sci fi focus there. I'd also suggest .hack// over SAO. The latter has some... issues, especially during the second arc.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #732 on: 28 May 2014, 05:24 »

Preferably something that's well dubbed, not "too japanese" and have interesting characters and story. Fantasy/mythology and SciFi elements are very welcome!

Well, anime is always going to be a bit Japanese, by its nature, and the motivations of characters are not infrequently misunderstood in the West when people don't take Japanese social norms into account (see Shinji in Neon Genesis Evangelion).  And some series are built on Japanese folk-lore, and so can seem somewhat odd if you have no appreciation of that (Mushi-Shi and The Eccentric Family are examples).

Anyway, suggestions...

A leading candidate for the best anime of all: Cowboy Bebop
The very best of girls high-school humour:  Azumanga Daioh - gentle and simply lovable.
College romance and coming-of-age, done with a minimum of syrupiness: Honey and Clover
Coming-of-age, perhaps, but some of the whackiest hijinx there are: FLCL
Adventure on a grand scale, very well written: Fullmetal Alchemist
   (I prefer the original to FMA Brotherhood, which is longer but follows the story of the manga to the end)
Adventure and sci-fi whackiness: Gurren Lagann
Save Evangelion till you know you're ready for it; watch: RahXephon instead.
   (this may get me shouted at...)
Something lighthearted, but with a serious core: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
For a thoughtful view of the world and society: Kino's Journey

I'd also suggest Gunbuster and Diebuster, but incredibly, they've never been dubbed.  If I start mentioning more, though, the list would grow to a whole page, so I'll stop here, even though I have yet to mention some of the very best...

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #733 on: 29 May 2014, 02:25 »

I'd agree to most of phwodges list, except RahXephon, that horrendous pile of shit needs to burn in a fire. If you want a serious sci-fi, Planetes and Ghost in the Shell (both the original movie and the Stand Alone Complex series) are brilliant. Errr... I don't tend to watch dubs so I'm not sure which ones are particularly good, Berserk for a gory fantasy is a great story (and you should totally pick up the manga) and I know that the dub is looked on in mostly positive eyes. If you like some lewd humour, then Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is bloody hilarious. I'll come back with more when my brain is engaged, but if you really want to get into anime, then I'd say that you need to accept subtitles as the best way to view it.
La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #734 on: 29 May 2014, 05:10 »

Some clarifications:

RahXephon is perhaps more divisive than any other show.  To be clear, though - it is in no way related to Evangelion in spite of some superficial similarities, but it's its own thing.

Do plan to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion in due course, and be prepared for a roller-coaster ride of emotions.  The ending is famously confused.  I would suggest watching in the following order:
Eps 1-20
Eps 21-24 original broadcast versions
Eps 25-26 broadcast ending

Then, when you've put your head back on,
Eps 21'-24' director's cut versions
End of Evangelion (film version of 25'-26')

If you use the dub, be aware that several characters have different voice actors in the alternate endings, which some people find disconcerting.  You can skip the film Death (in any of its versions) - it's a clip show whose only relevance is that it introduced some scenes that went into the director's cut episodes.  The Platinum DVDs contain both versions of eps 21-24.  The film EoE was licensed separately, and is out of print.  It's not hard to get hold of, but the English-dubbed version has an extraordinarily bad video transfer (for my own use I have extracted the dub and remuxed it with the recent Italian release which has a good copy of the remastered Japanese video).

The two Fullmetal Alchemist shows are both good, and again the fandom is equally split between them.  The first was made when the manga it's based on was only half written, which is why it diverges; when the manga was finished, the same studio made the new show (Brotherhood) following that story - I prefer the original not because of the story, but because of the pacing and a few differences in style.

Finally, I can't let this go without adding three of my absolute favourites to the list:
Serial Experiments Lain - Examines the evolution of the relationship between the human mind and the Internet.
Texhnolyze - possibly the most depressing show of all time, but compelling; not a word is spoken for the first half of the first episode.
Angel's Egg - No dub, but then barely a dozen sentences are spoken in the whole film, most of which are "Who are you?"

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #735 on: 29 May 2014, 10:13 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #736 on: 29 May 2014, 10:47 »

Reaction to the dub has been somewhat muted, with people saying that Senketsu should be older sounding, and that Satsuki isn't sufficiently authoritative.  Oh, and Mako mispronounces her own surname!  For my part, I'll wait until the voices are fully processed and mixed into the soundtrack before judging.  However, the initial release in multiple small volumes will add up to silly prices in the first instance, so that may not be for a while.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 10:54 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #737 on: 29 May 2014, 10:58 »

Oh, I guess I should link to this here in case you don't go into Make.  My first-ever attempt at fan fiction (it follows Evangelion Q).

LocoJoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #738 on: 30 May 2014, 17:57 »

I've been wanting to watch more anime, but I'm not quite sure what to get into. I've been out of the loop for the last few years, so I'm not sure what's really good, and what to avoid. I have seen the first season of Attack on Titan and enjoyed it.

Personal favorites include Samurai Champloo, Berserk, Last Exile, Claymore and Gurren Lagann, to name a few.

I'd also suggest Gunbuster and Diebuster, but incredibly, they've never been dubbed.  If I start mentioning more, though, the list would grow to a whole page, so I'll stop here, even though I have yet to mention some of the very best...

I LOVED Gunbuster andDiebuster. A nice amount of feels were had towards the end. I'd like to know what else you might suggest.
"No one's going to draw you a map. You gotta walk your own path."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #739 on: 30 May 2014, 22:40 »

Glad to see Last Exile in your list; it's often passed over, it seems to me.  Now and then, here and there is another I came across at the same time, and enjoyed a lot.

If you're happy with subs, then some recent things become available to consider.  Kill la Kill is unmissable (from the staff who made TTGL) for OTT excitement.  If you also enjoy slow character studies, and a leaning towards Japanese mythology, then Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family) is a recent favourite of mine, and Kyousougiga is also interesting (both are strongly based on actual scenes in Kyoto).  I like [C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (the name is a bit fluid), which turns economics into an alternate-world adventure; though people seem to have stopped talking about it. 

A surreal film that I regard very highly is Mind Game (God is one of the characters).  And for the ultimate in exciting animation of the highest quality, Redline - leave your brain in bed, though, as it has an inane plot and no message of any kind.

Oh, and how did I forget to mention the -monogatari series (Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari, and Monogatari series 2).  A study of the mind of a sexually confused teenager; very wordy indeed, because you get the characters' thoughts as well as their speech, so you need to be happy to read subtitles and flash cards very fast indeed, and be prepared to pause or scroll back to keep up (some people find the incest arc in Nisemonogatari a bit hard to take).
« Last Edit: 30 May 2014, 23:03 by pwhodges »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #740 on: 30 May 2014, 23:06 »

If you want hard core economics action Spice and Wolf and Maoyu (Maoyū Maō Yūsha) are NOT to be missed. Actually both series are not to be missed in general. The former taught me more basic economic theory then my actual economics courses in college AND managed to be extemely entertaining and endearing. It's good enough I have the DVDs. It's also a gold medal winner of my "Not Activating The Thing I Hate Most About Anime"* award! Maoyu gets special notice for covering not just economics but other subjects like crop rotation, and kinda slides in to poke things like "tolerance" and "war profiteering" (not to mention practically being a homage to Smedley Butler's "War is a Racket" speech, and all those who concur with the General.) all while poking fun at the traditional Hero vs. Demon Lord story line... by inverting it hard core. Plenty of smaller jokes scattered about to keep you going if economics lectures aren't your thing but the parody is nice and rich, holding everything together. Sadly this one does activate my #1 pet peeve, but I like it enough that I'll give it a pass.

(click to show/hide)

*AKA not resolving a romance sub plot in a given anime or story. Fuck you bastards who started doing this. Some of us are watching for the romance like our mothers watched shitty soap operas! Don't you deny this to me!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #741 on: 31 May 2014, 17:59 »

And for the ultimate in exciting animation of the highest quality, Redline - leave your brain in bed, though, as it has an inane plot and no message of any kind.

It's done by the same animators as Aeon Flux and is very well animated. As for plot, to quote Whose Line...?: the rules are made up and the points don't matter. Redline is just pure, unadulterated fun. Also the vehicles designs are awesome. If you like TTGL, you will like Redline.

LocoJoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #742 on: 02 Jun 2014, 22:10 »

I watched Redline on Sunday and just now finished Kill la Kill, and I enjoyed both of them immensely. Definitely over the top, and not as much fan service as I was led to believe. That's a good thing.
"No one's going to draw you a map. You gotta walk your own path."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #743 on: 03 Jun 2014, 04:59 »

Image heavy anime recommendations.

(click to show/hide)

I do want to note recommendations for the movies Vexille, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Voices of a Distant Star, three really different anime movies that are all really awesome.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #744 on: 03 Jun 2014, 08:07 »

I'll  be watching FMA as soon as I have time to spare then :)

Also, just watched From Up On Poppy Hill  the other day, cute movie!
I dunno..

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #745 on: 03 Jun 2014, 09:09 »

I will never not recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena. It has a slow start but christ does it come good, easily top 5 anime material. More people should watch Shin Sekai Yori and Mawaru Penguindrum too.
La vie est drôle

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #746 on: 03 Jun 2014, 09:11 »

Speaking of Magical Girls, I am really irritated that I can't find Cardcaptor to stream. I just want to rewatch it. T-T Actually, I'd prefer to own it, since that and Escaflowne were what got me into anime in the first place. (So did Pokemon, I guess, but not really.)

Also Madoka Magica, even if Magical Girls really isn't your thing, is worth watching simply because of the animation styles. How the characters are drawn is very different than the norm and how they do the witch scenes is awesome.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #747 on: 03 Jun 2014, 09:29 »

Madoka Magica is worth a watch for the sheer subversion of the genre. I love stuff like that, taking common themes and tropes and messing with them.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #748 on: 03 Jun 2014, 09:35 »

I am really irritated that I can't find Cardcaptor to stream. I just want to rewatch it.

I guess the version you have seen is the US version which was edited down from 70 eps to 39 eps; the licence for that has expired.  However, a new BD/DVD release of the full series with an old mono English dub that was done elsewhere is coming out in August.  It is not inconceivable that this might trigger some streaming.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2014, 09:42 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #749 on: 03 Jun 2014, 10:38 »

Here's an interesting 2-hour presentation on the development of anime (playlist of 16 parts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNHSrJoqFM&list=PLuPNSyztkHPqV-M4ePSmN_2BLhONu0WLg

Enjoy!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Up