THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355226 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #750 on: 03 Jun 2014, 15:01 »

[tweet]470285730154295297[/tweet]

To me that reads like the reason for the delay in the first place was that Khara vetoed the dub, and Funimation are still working on making it acceptable to them.  Other theories I've seen, like getting the extras to match the Japanese release just don't justify such a long delay.

The idea of a Japanese studio being so concerned about a foreign dub is a new development in itself.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2014, 15:45 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #751 on: 03 Jun 2014, 20:06 »

I watched Redline on Sunday and just now finished Kill la Kill, and I enjoyed both of them immensely. Definitely over the top, and not as much fan service as I was led to believe. That's a good thing.

Having just finished Kill la Kill, um, I'm gonna disagree about the fan service comment about that one. That had a LOT of fan service. Boobies and butts everywhere!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #752 on: 03 Jun 2014, 20:42 »

Is fan service in service of skewering tropes and genre expectations still fan service?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #753 on: 03 Jun 2014, 21:07 »

I guess it probably still is, but YMMV for a lot of people. My personal opinion is that if the series owns up to it (Like TTGL admitting they're running the plot on crazy awesome or Excel Saga and The World God Only Knows fessing up for the things they lampshade), they can be excused for a lot. Not everything, but a lot.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #754 on: 04 Jun 2014, 13:29 »

FMA:B continues to piss me off.

BlazBlue continues to be nonsensical, slow-moving but entertaining.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #755 on: 04 Jun 2014, 14:14 »

FMA:B continues to piss me off.

Why in particular?  Do you already know the original FMA?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #756 on: 04 Jun 2014, 15:02 »

So I have given up trying to keep up with current anime, most of the stuff I find I'm not that into. So here's a list of the anime I like and I am hoping you guys can help me find a new series to obsess over:

FMA:B
FLCL
Clannad
Fruits Basket
Trinity Blood (I think that's the name)

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #757 on: 04 Jun 2014, 15:03 »

I don't, and it's the same issue I had earlier in the thread - the absolutely wrenching tonal shifts sometimes within the same scene. It goes from goofball comedy to super dark without missing a beat, and I believe this is a common trait in anime, but it's really appallingly done in this anime. The comedy is funny, the dark stuff is convincing, the lack of buffer between the two sucks. I just watched an episode where the main characters have a quite violent fight with the main villain and the whole army comes down on him to try to fight him, everyone realises he's the survivor of a genocide which is depicted very effectively, and then LOL THE MAJOR WAS HIDING THE WHOLE TIME DURING THE FIGHT CAUSE HE'S A WUSS WHAT A GOOF HA HA HA HA I wish I was dead.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #758 on: 04 Jun 2014, 15:36 »

dr. nervioso - Check out Toradora!, Princess Jellyfish, and Love, Chunibyo, and Other Dilusions.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #759 on: 04 Jun 2014, 18:04 »

So I have given up trying to keep up with current anime, most of the stuff I find I'm not that into. So here's a list of the anime I like and I am hoping you guys can help me find a new series to obsess over:

FLCL
Clannad
Fruits Basket
Trinity Blood (I think that's the name)

Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, Trigun, Usagi Drop, Angel Beats and Cowboy Bebop would probably be solid ones for you to check out. I will second Toradore.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #760 on: 04 Jun 2014, 19:23 »

I don't, and it's the same issue I had earlier in the thread - the absolutely wrenching tonal shifts sometimes within the same scene. It goes from goofball comedy to super dark without missing a beat, and I believe this is a common trait in anime, but it's really appallingly done in this anime. The comedy is funny, the dark stuff is convincing, the lack of buffer between the two sucks. I just watched an episode where the main characters have a quite violent fight with the main villain and the whole army comes down on him to try to fight him, everyone realises he's the survivor of a genocide which is depicted very effectively, and then LOL THE MAJOR WAS HIDING THE WHOLE TIME DURING THE FIGHT CAUSE HE'S A WUSS WHAT A GOOF HA HA HA HA I wish I was dead.

That kind of bugged me when I started watching FMA earlier today--it's pretty serious most of the time, then suddenly Edward goes all Ash Ketchum, freaking out..
I dunno..

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #761 on: 04 Jun 2014, 22:24 »

I don't find the tonal shifts in FMA an issue; I guess the level of humour is intended to help the younger viewer cope with the darkness* - but I just don't mind the switches.  Also, the Major has a more drawn-out plot arc which makes his motivations slower to become apparent.

However, I prefer the original over Brotherhood, precisely because the pacing is better.  When they made Brotherhood, they rushed the first part, probably because they had already animated that part of the story before; I didn't like that they also increased the distinction from the previous version by exaggerating the use of weird "manga-faces" to indicate emotion, whereas they'd reduced that (relative to the manga itself) in the original.  The end of Brotherhood is then dragged out to make it a five-cour show instead of a four-cour show, and that really slows it down to the point of becoming tedious.

As for the endings:  the ending of Brotherhood resolves everything, which is nice (and is how the manga ends); but in a way I prefer the ending of the original (written when the manga was only halfway through) which resolves the brothers' quest with a new tragedy.  The following film (which some people hate) in turn resolves that tragedy, but still with a bitter-sweet ending.  The lesson I see there is that even when you fix your past problems, the future is a new place to be faced.

If you want darkness with no relief of any kind, then you should be watching Texhnolyze.
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2014, 22:37 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #762 on: 04 Jun 2014, 22:34 »

FLCL

Those are the only two in your list I know, but the natural suggestion following them is surely Gurren Lagann (aka TTGL).  If you want to obsess over it, you can follow it by watching the films, which dial the ending up to 11 - or more like 15.

You can never go wrong with Gunbuster and Diebuster (which I always tell people to take as a pair).  Diebuster is from the same team as FLCL and Gurren Lagann, whereas Gunbuster is a basic classic, and naturally comes first.

Cottarsby

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #763 on: 06 Jun 2014, 19:13 »

I just watched Deadman Wonderland in a day.

I don't watch a whole lot of anime. That was some gruesome shit.
Then again...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #764 on: 12 Jun 2014, 19:11 »

So I'm watching the Valkyria Chronicles anime. Fuck me running with a chainsaw. The intro and first ep have made me haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it. It was, to borrow and slightly paraphrase from Yahtzee's review of the game "Christopher Robin and friends going out to defend the 100 acre woods from mean old farmer Hitler." Five episodes have not improved it from that initial pile of naive fetted compost, but it is slightly more tolerable. Not much more tolerable, but slightly. I already want to kick the Tsundere into a wood chipper, with the lecherous captain from 1st squad right behind her. The male lead is interesting in that he's the only one in this anime who talks like he's actually seen or studied combat in any way, especially when he talks about the vitality of preserving one's own life. He's no Patton, but he could be worse. That's my real issue. There's actually good characters in here. The disgruntled militia veterans, Mr. Rocket Lance who's missing part of his beard and his sassy female companion are stand outs for me as individuals I enjoy, even if they're playing to type a bit more then needed. I also rather enjoy the scaredy cat rich girl Suzie. I'd like to see her whipped into something resembling a proper soldier.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #765 on: 12 Jun 2014, 22:06 »

Valkyria Chronicles was just forgettable for me. There were some interesting moments, but once you get to "survivors of an ancient race of super-soldiers" and "Baseless casual racism spawned from a biased account of history", I kinda checked out and just watched the rest in a daze. It did seem like all the more interesting characters were destined to be put on a bus and used for fodder by the end.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #766 on: 13 Jun 2014, 08:04 »

Trying fairy Tail again, I got bored wuickly last time, but I like premise and the art, so here is to hoping it gets better

this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #767 on: 15 Jun 2014, 08:09 »

Reaction to the dub has been somewhat muted, with people saying that Senketsu should be older sounding, and that Satsuki isn't sufficiently authoritative.  Oh, and Mako mispronounces her own surname!  For my part, I'll wait until the voices are fully processed and mixed into the soundtrack before judging.  However, the initial release in multiple small volumes will add up to silly prices in the first instance, so that may not be for a while.

Ooops. I never did comment on this. As of this preview the dub's gonna be a flop for me I think. On a scale of Love Hina to Hellsing Ultimate in terms of dub voice acting I think we're looking at middle ground work barring something incredible happening in post.

In other news, holy fuck.

Holy fuck.

*squees internally* judge me all you want fuckers I have no shame in admitting I really like Sailor Moon. (Speaking of terrible dubs...)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #768 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:03 »

So I guess they're starting from the beginning again? The animation looks so good, though.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #769 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:25 »

As far as they got with the last few series a full re boot is really the best solution.

(click to show/hide)

I haven't looked over it in details but Glass Lip and Rail Wars looks like fun. I am of course in for Sailor Moon Crystal.

In the OVA section more Girls und Panzer! For anime watchers who haven't seen it, Psycho Pass is being rebroadcast and I'd heartily encourage you to watch it.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #770 on: 17 Jun 2014, 19:47 »

So, watched about 40 or so episodes of FMA now, and I really like it. The plot is pretty complex and a little hard to follow, but that makes it more interesting. I started watching with English dubs, and while the dubs where ok, the mixing was not, and I often struggled to catch what people where saying when there was low, plot heavy dialogue. I then switched to Japanese with subs, which makes it a lot easier to follow.

If I were to make any complaints, it's the heavily shifting tone (tho this might be a complaint to much of anime in general). The death of central character being followed by some sort of Japanese speed-pop in the end credits really kill the mood, and all those "anime facial expressions" seem really out of place when the show is really serious in tone just a minute earlier or later. Also, alchemy=/=science. The fact that they're constantly trying to hammer in alchemy as "science" really pushes my suspension of disbelief. It would all have been much easier if they'd treated it like magic (with definable internal laws).

But still, the show is really good, and I'm really looking forward to see more. After I finish FMA, I plan on watching Death Note, since it has very high average scores and sounds pretty interesting. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2014, 20:03 by Edguy »
I dunno..

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #771 on: 18 Jun 2014, 00:51 »

If I were to make any complaints, it's the heavily shifting tone (tho this might be a complaint to much of anime in general). The death of central character being followed by some sort of Japanese speed-pop in the end credits really kill the mood, and all those "anime facial expressions" seem really out of place when the show is really serious in tone just a minute earlier or later.

You sure you aren't watching Brotherhood? This is my main issue with Brotherhood and most people I know say it's done better in FMA.

Also, alchemy=/=science. The fact that they're constantly trying to hammer in alchemy as "science" really pushes my suspension of disbelief. It would all have been much easier if they'd treated it like magic (with definable internal laws).

Uh. Why? It's not hard science fiction.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #772 on: 18 Jun 2014, 03:40 »

After I finish FMA, I plan on watching Death Note, since it has very high average scores and sounds pretty interesting. Any thoughts?

Yes, don't watch it. Unless you really like pretentious teenagers endlessly monologuing about how morally superior they are. Often people say that it makes you question whether killing is right or not, it doesn't, it just makes you follow a villain that is essentially a run of the mill sociopath. And the less said about the second half of the series the better, it's absolutely awful. Save yourself the pain and if you want something serious, watch Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent.
La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #773 on: 18 Jun 2014, 03:48 »

I think Death Note is awful.  It's one of very few series that I couldn't stomach finishing, largely because of the messed up morals which meant I could have no sympathy for what was going on.  Watch Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) instead - some questionable morals there as well, perhaps, but overall a much better and more entertaining show.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #774 on: 18 Jun 2014, 04:31 »

Death Note certainly wasn't my favorite anime. I wouldn't mind having my hands on one of those books though. I don't really care what L would do with the book. The more interesting question is what I would do with it. Or you. That's one worthy thing that came out of my old group watching the show.

Would you use the book? Would you even walk away with it from where you'd found it once you knew what it was? Would you keep it? Or risk it finding it's way into some other person's hands?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #775 on: 18 Jun 2014, 04:51 »

I'm going to second Paul. Death Note is terrible and Future Diary is executed much better.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #776 on: 18 Jun 2014, 09:26 »

You sure you aren't watching Brotherhood? This is my main issue with Brotherhood and most people I know say it's done better in FMA.

I'm watching the original. It's not horrible or show-ruining, but it is a little annoying at times.

Uh. Why? It's not hard science fiction.

I'm a pretty logic-bound person, and suspending my disbelief can be hard at times. I'm okay with soft scifi and fantasy as long as the internal logic is sound, but the fact that they constantly try to sell their camouflaged magic as science bugs me.

Yes, don't watch it. Unless you really like pretentious teenagers endlessly monologuing about how morally superior they are. Often people say that it makes you question whether killing is right or not, it doesn't, it just makes you follow a villain that is essentially a run of the mill sociopath. And the less said about the second half of the series the better, it's absolutely awful. Save yourself the pain and if you want something serious, watch Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent.
I think Death Note is awful.  It's one of very few series that I couldn't stomach finishing, largely because of the messed up morals which meant I could have no sympathy for what was going on.  Watch Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) instead - some questionable morals there as well, perhaps, but overall a much better and more entertaining show.
Death Note certainly wasn't my favorite anime. I wouldn't mind having my hands on one of those books though. I don't really care what L would do with the book. The more interesting question is what I would do with it. Or you. That's one worthy thing that came out of my old group watching the show.

Would you use the book? Would you even walk away with it from where you'd found it once you knew what it was? Would you keep it? Or risk it finding it's way into some other person's hands?
I'm going to second Paul. Death Note is terrible and Future Diary is executed much better.

Well, that was disencouraging. With an average rating of 8,9/10 (slightly below the likes of FMA and Cowboy Bebop) on one of those anime rating sites, I sort of expected it to be better liked x]

Regardless, I think I'll start watching it since I've already downloaded, and then see for myself :)
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2014, 09:35 by Edguy »
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #777 on: 18 Jun 2014, 09:38 »

It could just be I'm a pretentious ass. So watch it, and judge for yourself.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #778 on: 18 Jun 2014, 09:48 »

In other news I have a big pile of stuff like Hayuka, Golgo 13, Jin Roh, and someone and her seven assistant s or something... And of course cleaning up the end of the spring season

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #779 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:02 »

I'm watching the original. It's not horrible or show-ruining, but it is a little annoying at times.

For the love of Christ never watch Brotherhood then, it might kill you. It's definitely killing me.

I'm a pretty logic-bound person, and suspending my disbelief can be hard at times. I'm okay with soft scifi and fantasy as long as the internal logic is sound, but the fact that they constantly try to sell their camouflaged magic as science bugs me.

Why can't it just be both? Why can't magic BE a science? It has logic, it has laws that must be followed. Equilibrium, give and take.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #780 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:38 »

Magic as science shows up in a lot of anime come to think of it. For example one of my personal favorites Straight Jacket. Now some anime are harder and softer with their portrayal of magic with the range going thusly for a rough conceptualization:

High Magic/Ritual magic*------------------------------------Magic Is Tech**

*Magic is 100% arcane and mysterious, see D&D/High Fantasy. Alternately it's completely unexplained because willing suspension of disbelief means you don't need to know the details any way.
**Magic is either literally tech based/influenced or a science that is understood. It is an energy that is directed and understood that behaves via certain rules much like any other physical force, energy or what have you.

A lot of anime ends up somewhere in the middle or leaned slightly to the right, especially in Spells and Gunslingers style stuff where tech and magic exist side by side.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #781 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:39 »

With an average rating of 8,9/10 (slightly below the likes of FMA and Cowboy Bebop) on one of those anime rating sites, I sort of expected it to be better liked x]

Yes, the ratings it gets are a perpetual mystery to me.  Maybe it tells you more than you want to know about the typical western otaku...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #782 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:57 »

Well Death Note would probably appeal to Otaku in the traditional sense >.>;

Also I'd personally appreciate not using the term "otaku" as a general term for anime fan... it's a pejorative and not one I'm keen on reclaiming or applying to anyone outside of the individuals who fit that label.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #783 on: 18 Jun 2014, 11:16 »

That was why I used it at that point.   :evil:

Also recent studies suggest that the term is no longer mainly pejorative in Japan.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #784 on: 18 Jun 2014, 13:13 »

Please do enlighten a noob, what does otaku mean?
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #785 on: 18 Jun 2014, 13:33 »

It's meant to indicate an obsessive or obsessed individual. A nerd to be sure... but more what we'd call a neckbeard, so the worst kind of nerd. It also usually implies that one is or is leaning towards being a hikikomori (literally "pulling inward, being confined") which is a form of severe social withdrawal.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #786 on: 18 Jun 2014, 14:18 »

With an average rating of 8,9/10 (slightly below the likes of FMA and Cowboy Bebop) on one of those anime rating sites, I sort of expected it to be better liked x]

Yes, the ratings it gets are a perpetual mystery to me.  Maybe it tells you more than you want to know about the typical western otaku...

Or the age of the people who liked it.

Garand: I think you might mean Okami-san and her 7 Assistants. I urge you not to watch it, it is infuriating in it's total waste of potential.
(click to show/hide)
La vie est drôle

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #787 on: 18 Jun 2014, 17:35 »

I do mean Okami-San and Her Seven Assistants. That bad eh?

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #788 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:19 »

I do mean Okami-San and Her Seven Assistants. That bad eh?

By the time they threw in a swimsuit competition for no apparent reason, I was about ready to gouge my eyes out.
La vie est drôle

LocoJoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #789 on: 19 Jun 2014, 16:50 »

So, a friend of mine was gracious enough for me to use his Crunchyroll account, and I now have access to all sorts of different anime to watch! I had no idea where to begin, and he suggested I start with Hunter X Hunter. Only 4 episodes or so into it, and I kinda dig it.

It's meant to indicate an obsessive or obsessed individual. A nerd to be sure... but more what we'd call a neckbeard, so the worst kind of nerd. It also usually implies that one is or is leaning towards being a hikikomori (literally "pulling inward, being confined") which is a form of severe social withdrawal.

To piggyback on this, a great anime that touches on the subject is Welcome to the NHK!. If you're into slice of life anime, I'd definitely reccommend checking it out.
"No one's going to draw you a map. You gotta walk your own path."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #790 on: 19 Jun 2014, 19:18 »

Genshikan! Is another good one about Otaku.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #791 on: 20 Jun 2014, 00:55 »

Welcome to the NHK!. If you're into slice of life anime, I'd definitely reccommend checking it out.

I prefer the novel over the anime myself.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #792 on: 20 Jun 2014, 04:34 »

Please do enlighten a noob, what does otaku mean?

Princess Jellyfish does a great job of explaining otaku.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #793 on: 20 Jun 2014, 16:08 »

The SM Trailer with official English subs

Coming to CR and a fuckload of other streaming services soon sports fans!

Then io9 put this list together about other Magical Series that deserve a reboot.

http://io9.com/7-magical-girl-series-that-deserve-modern-sailor-moon-1593241273?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Fuck yes to all of these as it happens, but in particular Magic Knigh Rayearth, Card Captor Sakura and Devil Hunter Yoko, the latter of which I really want to see. Sakura too come to think of it, I've never seen the non-butchered version.

Of course I'd be remiss not to mention Revolutionary Girl Utena, which stands out as an anime classic that I cannot stand. At all. Maybe an update would make it watchb

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #794 on: 23 Jun 2014, 04:05 »

So, just finished FMA.. sort of mixed feelings about how it ended, but anyways.. Next!  :mrgreen:

I started watching Ghost in the Shell, and I really like how realistic it depicts stuff like computer tech, police work and politics (at least considering what I expect from a cyberpunk anime). Motoko needs to put some fucking pants on tho! Also, is there something wrong with my files, or is the sound mixing horrible? I've tried with both jap and eng, and still most of the dialogue is drowned out by this ridiculously loud porn music most of the time. And other times it's completely silent. If not for the subs, it would be unwatchable.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2014, 04:14 by Edguy »
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #795 on: 23 Jun 2014, 04:44 »

I think that's your files Edboy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #796 on: 23 Jun 2014, 05:23 »

So, just finished FMA.. sort of mixed feelings about how it ended, but anyways..

Did you watch the follow-up film The Conqueror of Shamballa?  Some people really hate it - the main setting is a huge wrench away from the series; but it actually gives a more complete and satisfying resolution to the quest of the brothers, though still with a bitter-sweet tinge.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #797 on: 24 Jun 2014, 09:56 »

A full article discussing hikikomori for the curious

http://www.tofugu.com/2014/06/18/all-about-hikkikomori-japans-missing-million/

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #798 on: 29 Jun 2014, 21:03 »

http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=177011

Momoiro Clover Z is doing the new opening and end themes for Sailor Moon Crystal before, what I didn't know though is that the girls (one of my favorite idol groups) have their chops in for the show, and have already recorded a cover of and performed (in cosplay no less) the original theme Moonlight Densetsu. It's pretty fucking awesome.

Saturday comes fast! Get hyped!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #799 on: 30 Jun 2014, 07:07 »

Pupa

Twelve four-minute episodes - three-minute if you remove the OP and ED.  A total of 36 minutes, plus OP and ED.  I watched it as a single run edited together, and I suggest you do the same, because that way you get a more concentrated experience.

This show has got by far the worst reviews of any show I've watched, and I have to admit that this was largely why I decided to watch it.  Could a show really be that bad?  What would make it so?  Can it actually be "the worst anime of all time"?

In the event, I found something which I believe doesn't deserve the bad rap.  It is a study of the effects of family abuse, how it is passed on to other generations, and how it is hard for psychologists to deal with.  I guess not many people see it the way I do! Too many people are just seeing the incestuous cannibalism for itself, instead of trying to work out what it's actually about.  As a horror show, it is concentrated, almost too much so to get the full effect (watching it all together as I did helps with that anyway).   As an allegory, it works for me; no answers are found, but the difficulty in finding answers in some such situations seems to me to be rather the point.

Utsutsu shows his love for his sister at a young age:

Utsutsu tells his sister's monster form that her loves her:

After which Yume starts to eat him:

Utsutsu declares that he will always love Yume, even though she is now a monster:

The veins signify that he is also a monster (which is why he can regenerate after being eaten);
the blood is from being eaten;
the other marks and bruises are from being beaten by their father.

Yume relieves her hunger for flesh by eating Utsutsu:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2014, 07:56 by pwhodges »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Up