THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355403 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #800 on: 30 Jun 2014, 10:59 »

I read that manga and saw some of the episodes when they were coming out. It did leave me feeling a bit icky but I found it interesting.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #801 on: 01 Jul 2014, 06:50 »

If you're up for a weird comedy anime that us 4chan /k/ approved then you might want to find Upotte! Which is set in a high school... for guns?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #802 on: 05 Jul 2014, 11:45 »

I've started watching Mushi-Shi because of Paul's (?) comments on it and I quite like it. It's a very different method of telling a story, which is refreshing, and the mushi themselves remind me a lot of shinto spirits, which I find interesting. I also like the artwork because the landscapes and mushi are so simplistic and beautiful. The OT is also really good, to the point where I think I'm going to look up the artist and listen to more of their work.

It's a relaxing story. Quite nice for just chilling out.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #803 on: 05 Jul 2014, 14:05 »

Also, Sailor Moon Crystal is now on Hulu and I just watched the first episode and it was awesome. Same story as the original series, but done so much better holy cow. And now to wait two weeks for the next episode...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #804 on: 05 Jul 2014, 15:31 »

I have been carefully avoiding getting drawn in to the Sailor Moon franchise...  I just need to draw a line somewhere.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #805 on: 05 Jul 2014, 23:48 »

Draw the line AFTER Sailor Moon, it's a classic!

Holy crap. So speaking of the new Sailor Moon. Love the art, and HOLY FUCK are the lyrics to the new theme Girl Powertastic.

In that spirit though, have some CR guest passes so you can all get up on the new season.
G7WEEVS86RF
D7C4VLKTVEF
J47AYGCZZ4M
8FL4YK4SU5S

(click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

First impressions:
The art is absolutely stunning. I love it, it's like the old show in high def as well as being more on point with the manga. A lot of the first original episode is intact in a positive way.
Usagi is still Usagi, ditzy and kinda annoying, but useful in a pinch.
I liked the changes in how Usagi and everyone's favorite mysterious masked gentleman interact.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #806 on: 06 Jul 2014, 01:31 »

I know it's a classic - but 200 episodes, 3 films, 5 TV specials, and now the whole lot being remade!  It's more than I can afford to get drawn into (same thing with the Gundam franchise).  I've not yet even found time to watch Monster, which is only a third of the length, but still longer than anything else I've watched.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #807 on: 06 Jul 2014, 05:55 »

Then maybe just watch the new one. Same story, but the main character is less annoying and the art is so much better.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #808 on: 06 Jul 2014, 09:36 »

Sailor Moon Crystal would be a good place to explore the franchise Hodges.

Meanwhile in weird anime products land:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #809 on: 06 Jul 2014, 09:50 »

Sailor Moon Crystal would be a good place to explore the franchise Hodges.

One episode (so far) isn't a lot of exploring!  Maybe I'll follow it for a bit, at least to get the idea.  I think Crystal is planned to be 2 cours, which is OK by me.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #810 on: 06 Jul 2014, 12:52 »

It appears that the delay in the US/UK release of Evangelion 3.33 really is driven entirely by Khara:

[tweet]484347870871814144[/tweet]

[tweet]484351729153359872[/tweet]

[tweet]484348426554191872[/tweet]

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #811 on: 10 Jul 2014, 22:19 »

Except for Sailor Moon Crystal I haven't watched almost any anime in two weeks except for Wolf's Rain and X 1999 both of which are SRS bsnz. I like the former better than the latter but considering I'm covered in Wolf tattoos that's hardly shocking...

Both are getting a recommendation from me assuming they don't go completely tits up in the next few eps

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #812 on: 10 Jul 2014, 22:53 »

Not just that.  The creator of Wolf's Rain is none other than Keiko Nobumoto, of Cowboy Bebop writing fame, teamed up with fellow Bebop alum Yoko Kanno doing the music.  That's a recipe for awesome just there.  And it shows in every aspect of the series.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #813 on: 10 Jul 2014, 22:59 »

Wolf's Rain is not flawless, though; it has a couple of sub-standard episodes, and there is some criticism of a lack of character development, and a rather unconvincing ending.  However, although I understand these criticisms, I enjoyed the show as a whole myself, and would recommend it.

(I think I wrote about it here when I watched it first; I hope this summary is consistent with what I said then!) It seems I didn't; wrong forum.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2014, 08:38 by pwhodges »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #814 on: 11 Jul 2014, 07:34 »

Does Yoko Kanno REALLY require introduction? She's a legend.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #815 on: 11 Jul 2014, 08:47 »

There's a first time for anyone to learn about her, so no need to avoid introductions.

I found what I wrote elsewhere about Wolf's Rain; here it is:

Quote from: pwhodges, on another forum
The recap episodes can be ignored; I found them OK, to the extent that I often go back for revision during a show anyway, and I gather that when the series was first broadcast in the US they simply omitted them and included the final OVA episodes to make up the number (which is what they were written for, anyway). Curiously, the UK broadcast kept them in and stopped at episode 26.

The Indians episodes were a bit of a dislocation, but way less than, say, the island arc in Nadia. What jarred for me was not the Indians, actually, so much as the talking horse - we'd had no hint of wolves being able to communicate with other species until that point, though it was also Kiba's experience in his false Paradise with Mew (in the same episode). The ability is used again with the cat in Jaguara's city, and again feels like a bit of convenience rather than something natural to the world.

As for character development, I think there's enough for Tsume, Hige and Toboe; they all go through significant changes and reappraisals of their pasts (and Blue too, but that's more obvious). Kiba, though, not really - and that's because he comes into the story fully formed; he already has this drive to find Paradise, and it is his drive that keeps everyone else going to the end - but we never discover any reason for his drive beyond the fact that it is so.

The weakness of the story is that in the end it is missing any strong reason to be told at all. Although it's a pleasure to watch in many ways, at the end nothing has changed. There are many anime which conclude with a rebuilding of the world - Evangelion, RahXephon, Madoka, Lain, Mirai Nikki, [C], the list goes on, something to do with the Japanese psyche I presume - but there's always a reason that we can see for this to happen, and to be a worthwhile step; but in Wolf's Rain, it just happens. Maybe the Nobles represent a form of evil that needs to be expunged, but really this is not spelt out - in the end it's just a story of some wolves wanting to reach Paradise, and being the ones who do that (well, most die first, but Kiba gets there in effect) and rebuild the world as a result (well Cheza does that really, the wolves are just along for the ride when it comes down to it). For me, the highlight, in feels at any rate, was the death of Toboe...

So, I did really enjoy watching it, as an adventure story; but overall it signified nothing, and so may not be high on my list of future rewatches.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #816 on: 16 Jul 2014, 00:29 »

I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of Time! Summer Season New Anime Blitzkrieg Write Up!  Exist!

GM Casts Wall of Text!
Critical Hit!
9999 DMG!

Continuing:
The Irregular at Magic High School:
Still interesting though they seem to be doubling down on their long running game on incest chicken. I just wish they'd hurry up and get past this high school sports tournament that's taken up so much time. It's highlighting some really cool in universe magic, but I was enjoying the more serious plot.

The Case Files of Young Kindaichi Returns:
Smooth sailing with a fun cast and meaty murder mysteries... I just want more episodes faster.

New Shows:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal

I've already gushed enough about this to get labeled the king of the fan girls.

Glasslip:
Looking to be a cute little rom/com slice of life. Slightly disjointed for part of the first episode... but that's okay. The female lead's cute, and who I presume to be the male lead is.. interesting at best. The supernatural component is interesting so far, I'm not sure how they're going to use that though.

Samurai Jam - Bakumatsu Rock:
Rocking. I like it and if you enjoy Japanese music you too will enjoy it. Ladies and gents/third parties who like gents, lots of eye candy for you here. Some hilarious parody elements too if you know what you're looking for.

Not a valid youtube URL
Rail Wars!:
Apparently Japan National Rail needs an anime. Even if it didn't, it's gotten one. With a title promising us action even if the first episode doesn't deliver too much in the way of beat downs. A panty shot and plenty of oppai though, so this anime clearly intends to deliver fanservice... on a rail... jokes aside. Episode 2 opens with some of that action with some hilarious action of the NRSAT (National Rail Special Assault Team) departing to go handle a bomb threat.

Momokyun Sword:
Oh look! It's the legend of Momotaro with tits! Fanservice packed for even the most discerning of 2D breast enthusiasts and costumes to challenge the most skilled of cosplayers Momo herself is pretty freaking bad ass with sword skills to burn even from the start, so I'm hoping for sdome fantastic over the top action scenes... Momo's currently got what looks like a series of three magical girl transformations with the help of her animal friends all of which are apparently gonna give her a tail and a new physics defying outfit. I'm currently thinking I'll be dropping this midway through the season, but I'll give it a run especially because I like the original myth.

Argevollen:
Woo! Mech combat. Gimme. No fan service to be seen here, it looks like this anime's taking a far more realistic bent to it's warfare. Including it's mecha, which for the most part look more like the attempted realism of Battletech then the more fanciful general anime style of say the Gundam franchise or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Pretty good so far

Akame ga Kill!:
Well that started off on the right note. Doesn't even get to the main title before slicing and dicing a critter the size of a two story building. THEN it gets more awesome. Apprantently this is what happens when you let an anime studio loose on the Assassin's Creed games for a little too long, because the whole creedo right at the start about taking out the corrupt smacks of Assassin's from that franchise's mission. Easily one of the strongest looking anime this season. I'm in.

Invaders of the Rokyjyouma!?:
Looks like another case of boy meets ghost... meets witch/magical girl, meets earth shrine priestess... or something? Meets princess magical girl of some type that's armed up with a high tech magic weapon Nanoha style... all of whom need either his 6 tatame mat apartment or him for some reason. The absolutely metal young land lady forces all powers into the Corona Convention to preserve her property and basically leaves them all to sort it out. I was highly amused and will definently keep watching. Fanservice Warning: Gale Force 7

Locodol:
Nananko and Yukari are drafted as Idols for their small town. Cute girls doing cute things. Easy enough to consider dropping at some point, but worth giving it a few episodes I think... especially with Nanako's surprisingly charming enthusiasm.

Blue Spring Ride:
Interesting interactions between characters so far... seems both the leads have changed and not for the better in some cases. Futaba in particular has ended up with "friends" at the start of the series that don't seem the best... iffy for me, because I like slice of life but there's only so much shoujo style romance anime I can take but I'll give it a few more episodes.

HaNaYaMaTa:
Hel's heels I think this season is actually trying to kill me with cute. Fantastic visual style that reminds me of No Game No Life, very appealing to the eye and a fantastic color palette. Good laughs, kinda interesting plot. Excited to see where this goes.

After two episodes out, this is already a front runner for one of my top rated anime this summer.

Bladedance of the Elementalers:
Darn. I was kinda disappointed by the male lead. I thought this anime was gonna focus on the ladies kicking ass which is always a nice change of pace, but it's looking like another fantasy battle/duel harem set up. With tastes of Familiar of Zero and... Demon King Daimao maybe?

Magimoji Rurumo:
I'm gonna give it another ep or two, but at this point I'm just not enthused. Rurumo's cute and the central mechanic of the tickets is interesting... but everything they've built around it is kinda objectionable at best.

Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club!:
Oh look! It's C3 2: The Revenge! Sorta. Looks like we're looking at a far stronger comedy focus then C3's adorable slice of life. They also aren't taking quite the time to distinguish between airsoft toys and actual firearms like C3 did. More fanservice too.

"The Mental Weakness of Young People These Days is Troubling"

Aldnoah Zero:
WHERE IS JOHN CARTER!? Seriously you have a Princess of Mars who seems to hate wearing things that don't bear her midriff and you DON'T name the terran hero John Carter? Bring it on Barsoom!

Any way in short, Mars was colonized. The new Martian Colonists said "Fuck Terra" and rebeled taking all sorts of fun tech back. A pretty serious war came out, which brings us to our current point, where a Princess of Mars is coming to Earth as a goodwill ambassador. More anime mech action here. Looks pretty good so far except for the whole militarized high schools thing which always makes me face palm.

So far this is THE Mecha anime of the summer and frankly the mecha anime I've been waiting for for YEARS. I'm very excited and kinda want to get through the set up so we can get to the MEAT! I'm incredibly disappointed this is only a 12 ep season.

Persona4 The Golden Animation:
The Persona series is absolutely legendary and I'm excited to have an access point to a series I've been meaning to explore for awhile. Warning. Shit is trippy bro.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Now this is more my kind of RomCom anime.Girl likes boy. Boy happens to be a Shoujo manga artist and mistakes girl for a fan when she asks him out and gives her an autograph. Hijinks follow.

Shin Strange +
Season 2 of Strange +. It's 30 seconds. You have the time to kill.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA:
The Fate series is another justifiably famous and large anime series I've never touched. So far this spin off seems like a cute "srs bsnz" magical girl series. We'll see what happens. I'm pretty sure this series is already complete and even has a second season so I'm not sure why CR is treating it as a simulcast as opposed to just releasing it.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #817 on: 16 Jul 2014, 16:53 »

Woo hoo, Hulu has Dangan Ronpa

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #818 on: 17 Jul 2014, 13:38 »

I've started watching Knights of Sidonia, and three episodes in I'm not too interested in it. The animation makes me think of Iron Man: Armored Adventures
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2014, 14:01 by Blue Kitty »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #819 on: 18 Jul 2014, 20:57 »

The new OP matches up pretty damn well for Moonlight Densetsu...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #820 on: 20 Jul 2014, 21:27 »

So I'm loving Aldnoah Zero, great mech designs, a bad ass MC with an enjoyable and very realistic supporting cast all wrapped up in a delicious OST. This last episode was freaking awesome tool. I hope they keep this current concept of a squad of "regular" troops taking out a squad of super mechs. Also this whole crazy character development thing.

Rail Wars continues to impress as well, providing all sorts of decent action and character development all while not managing to over do it on the fan service.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #821 on: 25 Jul 2014, 00:19 »

I've started watching Knights of Sidonia, and three episodes in I'm not too interested in it. The animation makes me think of Iron Man: Armored Adventures
I actually quite like it.  The animation could certainly use more polish, and there are a number of other shortcomings (gah, that bear just bugged me, she just does not fit the mileau), but I will certainly be anticipating the second series.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #822 on: 26 Jul 2014, 04:49 »

I have it queued up and mean to watch it. Mostly because of the title being so close to that song my Muse (Knights of Cydonia). Also because I am actually curious about how good a Netflix anime would be. Some of their series, like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, are fantastic. Others, like Hemlock Grove, are complete shit.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #823 on: 30 Jul 2014, 23:22 »

Ah fuck. Well if you have family who watches CNN and knows you enjoy anime, A. encourage them to switch to a better news source like the BBC and B. potentially prepare for an awkward conversation.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #824 on: 05 Aug 2014, 20:47 »

If you haven't watched Black Lagoon you need to fix yourself.

Also a reminder that Magical Girl Revy is a thing that happened

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #825 on: 06 Aug 2014, 06:09 »

So my weird anime of the day is "Those Who Hunt Elves" and...you just need to look it up. In short three humans have been transported to a fantasy world along with a Type 74 MBT and have to find the 5 pieces of a spell that will send them home... these 5 pieces are basically tattooed onto 5 random (probably female) elves.

Now weird anime of the day out of the way, some music to start your hump day off right!

Invaders of the Rokujouma have repaired the damage they've done to my ship in good order, and upped the anty! Go protagonist go! Get the cute ghost girl! Full steam ahead!

Meanwhile I finally caught up to the current season on Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, I haven't had this much fun with a magical girl series in a while. It's great top to bottom, and season 1 has received a well deserved 9/10 from me. Sadly 2nd seasons tend to fall down for me for some reason with a few exceptions, so we'll see how Illya and company do... hopefully going to be completely caught up by the end of the day.

I wrote that early on another forum, filled with hopes and having fun with some kick as magical girl action, with hopes that it would continue on course. Sadly not. Season 2 has let me down. I'm just not feeling the Kuro Illya plot. And the over sexualized 10 year olds thing is squicking me out.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2014, 20:57 by GarandMarine »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #826 on: 11 Aug 2014, 14:16 »

Not enough Kill La Kill recently ;)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #827 on: 11 Aug 2014, 23:55 »

Not sure anyone knows this one - been considering it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girls_und_Panzer

And for your fun and edification (and yes, this is a wee Fanmade Short)

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #828 on: 12 Aug 2014, 00:17 »

Girls und Panzer.  Air-headed fun - and really good at it.  Also some superb animation of tanks moving (I'm thinking of one scene shown through the driver's viewing slot).  A ridiculous premiss, but that's hardly new in anime!  Just watch it and enjoy (don't waste time with the OVAs, they have little relationship to the series - just fan-service really).

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #829 on: 12 Aug 2014, 00:23 »

Squee! I fucking love Girls und Panzer, mostly because it apparently represents some ideal world that I have only ever dreamed of before. The story is cute and quite enjoyable outside of the tank battles, and the tank battles are VERY damn enjoyable on their own merit, very well done as long as you suspend just enough disbelief to forget this high school sport would be mind numbingly dangerous.

No ANZACers in the anime so far Kugai, but you lot are more known for your grunts then your tankers ;)

Concur with Hodges on all the OVAs with ONE exception. Girls und Panzer Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu! is an OVA episode/movie that's basically a "lost" episode from the show once they reach the competition arc. The show the results of the match (a battle with an Italian themed army) but not the match itself, this OVA is the full match and  surrounding fluff, very much worth a watch, if just for the rather interesting Italian armor tactics.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #830 on: 18 Aug 2014, 18:51 »

Re: This week's rail wars... shit. Takayama is in up to his neck.

It's been a singular pleasure serving with you all. To your ships, bosun, sound general quarters! All hands to battle stations.

Gak is about to get real people :D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #831 on: 19 Aug 2014, 00:51 »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #832 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:18 »

Misato must have consumed all of it.  She *is* a bit of a lush, after all.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #833 on: 19 Aug 2014, 07:41 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #834 on: 21 Aug 2014, 10:19 »

I'm not big into anime but this showed up in my feed and I thought it would be interesting if I popped it in here.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #835 on: 15 Sep 2014, 18:20 »

I started watching Attack on Titan yesterday, and I've already watched 14 episodes.. It does have a few problems, like being dramatic to a point of ridiculousness at times, as well as having actions scenes that don't seem to understand the flow of time, but I'm still really drawn into it, and could probably binge the entire season if I had the chance!
I dunno..

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #836 on: 18 Sep 2014, 01:03 »

Hi folks, internet research is failing me today for some reason so I need some assistance from you please.

The anime club we run for the students consists of them bringing in their own DVDs for us to watch but of course, a lot of anime is massively inappropriate for college consumption. Could anyone please shed some light on whether Hetalia and Fairy Tail would be college appropriate?

In that classic double standard style, violent content isn't necessarily a problem, but sexual content would be more of an issue.

(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #837 on: 18 Sep 2014, 13:56 »

Both of those should be fine. fairy tail has some fan service.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #838 on: 18 Sep 2014, 14:31 »

I have a fast forward button.

The other one they asked about was High School DxD or some shit. A quick Google of that told me no fucking way.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #839 on: 18 Sep 2014, 15:19 »

Just watched the first eps of the GitS prequel.  I had high hopes, given that I absolutely adore Ghost in the Shell, and with Maaya Sakamoto as the voice actress, it'd be hard to go wrong.  But I found that the animation was like something out of 1995, and the plot had a "few" inconsistencies with established canon.  Still going to watch the rest, though.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #840 on: 18 Sep 2014, 15:54 »

High School DxD? Hah. Hell the fuck no. It's just shy of porn. "ecchi" is the technical term.

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell, the original GitS movies would be good, I'd offer them up with the knowledge there's some risky bits in there (violence, some sexual situations) and get waivers, then require participants to participate in a brief guest lecture from a Philosophy professor on the nature of the soul/transhumanism followed by a round table discussion.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #841 on: 18 Sep 2014, 15:56 »

Meh, I'd say give the students a ton of Ghibli as well as some of the better shojō series out there.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #842 on: 18 Sep 2014, 17:15 »

They're Uni level students. FORCE THE BRAIN MEATS FOR LEARNINGS!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #843 on: 18 Sep 2014, 17:36 »

In Britain, college = high school, not university.

Gareth, you'd definitely be fine with Hetalia. It's goofy.

I'm currently watching two series right now: Sword Art Online II and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (just started season 2). SOA is definitely becoming one of my favorites and LotGH is just a really interesting story. It's complicated and has more characters than A Song of Ice and Fire, but the story is good and I really like how there are very few actual "bad" characters. For a futuristic space drama, it's actually very realistic and thought out. It's kind of a mixture of ASoIaF and Battlestar Galactica. It's older, so the animation isn't my favorite, but I really like the story and the characters/character development.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #844 on: 18 Sep 2014, 18:46 »

Meh. Good enough. If they start learning philosophy now they'll be better off.

I love Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I still need to slog through all 110+ episodes...

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #845 on: 18 Sep 2014, 19:44 »

Yeah, there's a lot of it. And we're breaking it up with happier anime... Except now I don't know what with, as we've finished Chunibyo. (Gareth, if you want something more teen friendly, that's a good one. It's ridiculous, but safe.)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #846 on: 19 Sep 2014, 02:53 »

I don't actually have a budget to purchase anything with, it's entirely down to what the students want to watch and bring in, which is great, but means I have to filter whatever they bring in.

Violence is usually fine as long as it's not insane, but if someone is passing by and sees fan service shit going on that's when the shit would hit the fan. And the thing is, these students try to mess with me sometimes when it comes to that (there is a character in one of the games we play who is wearing a scanty outfit which is shall we say, very lovingly animated, so I banned anyone from using her. There is one student who has not shut up about this for over a year, and then wonders why I've not picked him to lead any sessions for me), so I have to check everything before we put it on.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #847 on: 19 Sep 2014, 06:23 »

What game?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #848 on: 21 Sep 2014, 20:55 »

Summer season recap:
So I started watching a gak ton of anime this season, and these are the stand out winners in no particular order along with some surprises.
Aldnoah Zero - Tops for the season, but I'm not supremely enthused for the rest of it.
Hanayamata - Proof that cute girls with decent characterization can make me watch an anime about literally anything, this one's a favorite.
Gakkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun) Top comedy of the season and a prestigious winner of a 9/10 score from me. I like Shoujo romance so I was going into this expecting exactly that, what I got was a glorious comedy with some truly charming wit and humor about itself around a great cast. Even if it didn't give me the full pay off I wanted romantically... I mean it teased it. But still.
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha (Invaders of the Rokujouma) - Another surprise this season that manages to make the supernautral harem feel much fresher then Bladedance, another piece of evidence that you can stick to form and still make it shine with substance.
Nobunaga Concerto - Holy crap, finally a Sengoku era piece with time travel that does it vaguely right.The animation style remains really rough for me, but I enjoyed it a lot otherwise.
Blade Dance of the Elementalers - Literally a recycling of one of the oldest harem variants known to man complete with all tropes you'd expect of it, Bladedance still managed to be surprisingly not suck. It wasn't a stunner, a little too cliche for that, but it was a lot ofun.
Sageabu - C3: Comedy edition, and in my personal opinion the superior of the two Girls und Airsoft anime.
Akame ga Kill - More. Give. Me. More. Gods DAMNIT.
Sailor Moon Crystal - I'll spare you all more fanboy squeeling.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #849 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:45 »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Up